/lang/ - language learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Attached: 1526500093597.jpg (1080x1350, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WkgdcOSsbCc
t.me/joinchat/D5VZu03grQYNGwKxLD44pw
britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/languages_for_the_future_2017.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>2272 words for srs review

Reeeeee!!!!!

bololo haha

good bread
hebrew or yiddish?

>tfw no dalecarlian gf to speak my mother tongue with.

Hebrew is a fake language spoken by Jew larpers. Yiddish is actually pretty cool and spoken by the most intelligent ethnic group in the world

>good bread
>hebrew or yiddish?

Good bread. Don't they like good bread a lot more than Hebrew in Brazil?

wat? I used bread instead of thread because of autism
Brazilians love bread and don't care much about Jewish people, apart from very religious protestant groups that are obsessed with Israel or skinheads larping as white
The reason I asked which one you guys prefer is simply curiousity

I didn't understand your question

I was acting like you said "good bread or Hebrew or Yiddish" and when I said Brazilians love bread I was referring to Communion.

Oh, I see now
and yes, we are a very Christian country, though the main form of Christianity practised is changing
so we like good bread more than both hebrew or yiddish

Attached: kuriminha_feliz.png (400x379, 66K)

>æ cursive
Why is this allowed?
Such an aesthetic letter and it looks ugly in cursive

Attached: æ.jpg (800x648, 53K)

I'm borrowing a 6th grader German book , and holly shit the level that this literature is so high, its like freshman of highschool high. And here I thought I was a cool guy because I could understand B2 text. but literature in any language is so much harder than a newspaper article.

Attached: B2 reached.png (1355x764, 258K)

don't die
literature can be very hard for a native, let alone for someone learning the language
but reading literature is both one of the best rewards and one of the best exercises one can do to improve his ability to write and read any language

Attached: 1515594431932.png (361x506, 123K)

>reading literature is both one of the best rewards and one of the best exercises one can do to improve his ability to write and read any language

Nice i will keep that in mind as i try to get more motivation

Are there any speakers of the Indian language here? The language known as Indian?

You mean Hindi? I speak a few words.

Hindi is a religion, not a language. I'm talking about the language of the Hindis, called Indian

Namaste.

youtu.be/WkgdcOSsbCc

Hindi is the language.
Hindu is the religion.

Attached: 2018-05-21-063710_458x377.png (458x377, 45K)

Why are you posting that image? I can't read Polish.

>polish flag
>french text

That's how polyglots roll. By the way, I'm going to Zutphen for work soon - dus zet de Bokma vast koud makker.

Classic

>On musze idziesz na Zutphen

Muszę iść do Zutphen.

*Isć, i keep messing this up even though you do basically the same in Dutch

guten tag

Zdarova.

Grüß Gott.

t.me/joinchat/D5VZu03grQYNGwKxLD44pw

lads
get in here
we have a retarded commie a gypsy a nazi and a black white supremacist

Attached: apu_call.jpg (657x527, 40K)

Dobar dan

Jfc. India has like 20+ languages, each state has their own native/official language. Hindustani is the spoken language popular in most parts of north India, it's a combination of Hindi + Urdu + Pakistani.
Hindi is popular in North India, it's written in devanagari script.
Hinduism is a religion. All Hindus don't speak Hindi, and all Hindi speakers aren't Hindus.
I'm from Delhi, and I speak Hindi. AMA
(Don't try to learn Hindi imo, it's worthless. There's nothing of any significance that's written in Hindi except some poems and stories and that's pretty much it. All religious texts of Hinduism are translated to Hindi from Sanskrit. Learn Russian or Japanese or chinese maybe, they aren't written in Latin, and are gateways to very different cultures).

こんにちは!

guten Tag*

I haven't studied my target lang in 3 days

Attached: 1525893513227.png (646x595, 280K)

I have, but it's been hard to concentrate. The latest school shooting was in an eastern suburb of where I live, Houston. It's been weird seeing our local reporters on national and international news

hey, me and two friends have decided to create a study group for Japanese
is there any good learning schedules out there we could use?

Reminder that the wiki needs more work

Hinduism is a religion, Hindi is a language, and Indian is a nationality/ethnical group. Are you actually this retarded

both the daily japanese threads from Jow Forums and from /jp/ are loaded with resources and study guides
there were some pics with study guides that were posted here, but unfortunately I don't have them
Good luck!

It's late May and i still haven't picked my new years resolution language

Attached: 920c8201d031c54d84725a399b7c4860.jpg (461x500, 36K)

sad cunt
That aint too bad , as long as you can keep up with watching videos

you sure fucked that nigga up Hansel
Do they teach you Austrian standard german in croatia or German standard from germany ?

I speak English rather fluently and still struggle to read literature, at times.
Reading in your second language is always challenging, especially if you're not advanced. Lots of words you don't know, complex sentences, nuances you don't usually get with normal text.

Keep trying, it's one of the best exercises you can do. When I was B1 in English I found it very useful to read children books. I read a lot of Roald Dahl for example. I don't know what's the equivalent in German, but I found it very useful.

thanks lad, I will keep at it. And I just found so surprising and overwhelming just how difficult literature is compared to other things I would read. I have to stop every second sentence and look up a word in my 6 grade german book

It really is. I live in the UK, I have an american bf, I never struggle to understand him or really anyone around me. I can watch an english movie, or read newspapers in English, and never have an issue.
But still, whenever I read a novel I have to look up a word or expression every other page because I don't know them.

It's good exercise. Probably a lot of natives would have to look the words up too, if they wanted to know the precise meaning.

That's very true good exercise!

>Nice to see /lang/ is back, thanks OP.

Ive decided Im going to learn a South East Asian language, after realising it was a mistake to just learn Spanish because of its relevance. Ive started looking into the region and Im feeling a lot better about it than Spanish, or any other language. After looking into it, it seems as if Im on the right path at least.

Ive set a goal to have chosen and started studying by the end of this week. Im probably going to choose either Malay or Indonesian, since they are a lot easier. The main problem is resources, Im probably going to struggle to find them.
>bump

I left the telegram group and the discord chat. I'm sorry guys.

>that one guy learning Turkish

>Indonesian
Bahasa. Why though? Are you planning on traveling there?

>duolingo
>131 day streak of doing absolute bare minimum required to keep streak up

I give it another year or two.

Best advice to get rid of accents?
Just speaking to natives doesn't work too well in my experience so I'm thinking about just going full autism and practicing tones in front of a mirror till they sound right.

accents are cool though

Why would you want to get rid of it? Unless it's extremely strong and people can't understand you, I think it's nice to have one.

just imitate an american actor , and how he sounds

The two most effective ways to go about accent reduction are at first priming yourself by a more in-depth study of phonology which is often completely overlooked by language learners. Learn IPA, learn to identify the phonemes of your native and target languages. Gabriel Wyner's phonology series on youtube is a good start.

The second step is the so-called mimicry method. You are adopting a single person as your native 'language parent' and try to completely emulate his pronunciation. The requirement is an abundance of audio material produced by said person in casual settings, preferably with transcripts and then you just continue to record yourself saying the same phrases over and over again.

reddit is rrally bad at detecting sarcasm.

Daily reminder that this is exactly the posting that killed /lang/.

I'm already 1k into the anki deck of my NYR. What are you waiting for?

This.
Been there, still am.

You cant really, like for instance, say someones learning English. Even if they are native level fluent and have lived here for years, theres still an accent, if they do manage to reduce it, it leaves this polished kind of clean accent where it just sounds strange to listen too.
Imo at least, having a foriegn accent is better than RP (in English anyways).

Fuck sake I keep on thinking Polish flags are indonesian.

Yeah I am hoping to travel there eventually, and I like the exoticism of an accent from a completely different culture, thats not Chinese level of difficulty..

>language of the Hindis, called Indian
>american """""""education"""""""

Attached: ricky mortey.jpg (720x480, 16K)

If your a brit deciding on what language to learn, and dont know where to start Id reccomend giving this a read
britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/languages_for_the_future_2017.pdf or just search british counciles language for the future if you dont want to click on the link, make sure to go on the 2017 one.

Its a report commisioned by the govt to look into what languages are most important for British people to learn, it then compiles them into a list, and on some of the high ranking ones gives infomation about the language.

It takes into account interest by the UK public, tourism (I think), English fluency in the country and mostly relevance to the UK economically etc.

Its not a language bible or anything, but if you dont know where to start, skimming through this is a good bet imo. Hope I didnt shit up the thread but its been a good resource to me.

Its the same old situation. Someone runs his mouth thinking he's smart, and just reveals he's a fool. Learn to detect sarcasm,and stop insulting the country you're in to impress the literal faggots who post here.

Attached: 1374115227707.jpg (174x320, 16K)

Yeah, exactly what I'm thinking reading these responses, what, that first statement is dumb but confusing French writing with Polish two posts later is acceptable? You're only exposing yourselves.

Bump.