Roadtrippers

What do you think about this route? I want to drive through Eurasia until I reach the pacific coast. I'm especially excited about the Siberian wilderness. I want to take stops and go camping every once in a while.
I think this trip would take about 2-3 weeks. I want to take the plane home when I reach Vladivostok. Petrol prices shouldn't be too high (only 0.59€ a litre in Russia compared to 1.44€ in Germany).

My question: did anyone else go on a similar trip? Do you have any tips or must-visit places? What time of the year would be the best? Would you recommend any vehicles?

Attached: roadtrippers.jpg (1920x1080, 424K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w0hurJKOTpU&list=PL92Ywc80DEjd4geGoKFt7fQEj3fW5f9wh
youtube.com/watch?v=54DtCYsOMKA
youtube.com/watch?v=JP8bpMBNJZQ
google.com/maps/@56.1209765,88.7308961,3a,75y,132.68h,83.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1qPF1y4Xy4WDf9XCjZ5y7g!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=1qPF1y4Xy4WDf9XCjZ5y7g&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=35.613125&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
youtube.com/watch?v=ACKHcIMlEcM
youtube.com/watch?v=v0uSOjnRm3U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is how I imagine the trip (endless road in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around)

Attached: DQmVEmL6wuL9zsPQLihXzi8DoTLC3AocZ1Ah3JxgnRKffP9_1680x8400.jpg (865x1080, 270K)

Attached: p.jpg (864x1080, 272K)

Winter = too cold, metres of snow would make it almost impossible to drive (although winter landscapes are beautiful)
Spring: all the snow melts, the mud would make it even harder
Summer = sounds good, might get too hot in the more continental parts + you get eaten by mosquitos

Fall = mild weather (not too hot or cold), golden forests. I think this would be the best time of the year to travel

Attached: 1958630.jpg (1400x933, 749K)

Attached: 1721368.jpg (1400x788, 565K)

Attached: 38027165171_c372540ad3_k.jpg (2048x1536, 576K)

Send me a Siberian postcard

avoid tuva

I'm definitely goint to share pictures and experiences here, but I don't know when I'll gather enough money to afford this. I'm a Neet but my parents have money, though I don't want to bother them

Why

Attached: 37079620564_2e8c4542eb_k.jpg (2048x1152, 305K)

Attached: 1440.jpg (1440x960, 790K)

>Why
because they are savages, same with chechens
just look up several stats, and you will see

The population density is so low that I probably won't see any person in Tuva

Attached: 2013-09-09_3342.jpg (3136x2083, 363K)

Attached: 0_cb0b6_b99ddde0_orig.jpg (1100x733, 906K)

There is a series of videos of a guy who went hitchiking from Poland to Magadan and back:
youtube.com/watch?v=w0hurJKOTpU&list=PL92Ywc80DEjd4geGoKFt7fQEj3fW5f9wh

I watched it all, and i can say that i wouldn't risk the trip if i had an expensive car, but with a cheaper car it wouldn't be that risky.
There is a mafia which hitchikes cars straight on the roads, mainly in remote places.
The state of the roads is decent until you cross the urals, then it becomes worse and worse, and fragments between Ulan-Ude and Blagoveshchensk and Neriungri-Yakutsk are almost unpassable in summer.
There are several houndred kms long fragments of total wilderness where no one will be able to help you, and you will be unable to get gasoline.

Overall, i would say that it's worth doing it if you are an experienced driver and preferably know russian language.

Have you planned out all of your gas stops? you don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere

there is no road all the way

Are you going alone? I want to travel too but I'm too autistic to do it alone and have no friends

There is nothing remarkable along 2/3 of this route. No nice panorama, nothing.

It's as stupid as driving across the US and then spending 2 weeks being surrounded by farmland and endless fields.

Driving through russia won't be a pleasant experience, you are going to kill your car

Attached: average russian road.jpg (602x401, 46K)

not him, but i can understand the appeal.
to experience the vast empty spaces must be carthartic.
and not every landscape has to be post-card material to be properly appreaciated.

It's fun for 2-3 days maybe and then it's complete boredom.

No, so far it's just an idea

I'm not sure yet, I don't want to be all on my own if there happen to be any serious issues

There is something calming about driving through nothingness. But I'm most excited about the Altai mountains

There is according to roadtrippers, but only in southern Siberia

I will be renting some cheap Russian SUV

i would not bet that it is not, i give you that.
at the very least it would make for a good story, so i would not discourage him.

There will be stops at the bigger cities and some camping as well

Attached: 6148152524_4e730bac65_o.jpg (3504x2336, 3.06M)

What good story? There is nothing that makes a good story except that one time when OP will run out of toilet paper. There is nothing to discover and no people to meet.

A myriad of depressing, sightless and cultureless mining cities. Wow.

As you can see in the OP I will be staying in Moscow, Kazan, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk and Vladivostok, along others

Attached: rNr77gm.jpg (1280x886, 188K)

and even if it were just that, that would be a proper experience in itself.
to embark on a journey spanning several thousand km by yourself is already a worthy story - dont be so cynical.

Trust me, it's no fun to drive through plains where there's nothing to see. Bring a lot of music or podcasts or audiobooks

It's possible to just not waste this time by actually visiting more enriching and spectacular places.

Some guys I know did a trip like this from Mongolia to Moscow. Broke down once or twice on the way but they enjoyed it

I've already created a long ass playlist because of that

Attached: a67e490bf5850c01005082895b948b8c.jpg (1200x745, 384K)

Bring your own music, too. You will get sick of the local crap very fast.

Siberia is just a giant forest with some mountains. Be ready for very boring trip

Nice, I think I will cross the border to Mongolia for a short section while passing the Altai region

I hope you realize that them breaken down were the only memorable experiences they told him.

>be German
>greatest wish is to continue operation barbarossa and continue it to the pacific

That's not true

I've driven through Germany once, it was not very pleasing. It was rather stressful and dull.
Traffic jams, tons of angry drivers, no nature etc.

I prefer being on my own in the middle of a forest or steppe

Attached: file.png (640x360, 454K)

Where are the examples?

It's a shame there are no roads connecting Kamchatka to the rest of the country though, the volcanoes and geysirs would be an epic sight

Attached: 0_4e4cc_7f5dea38_XXXL.jpg (1160x847, 182K)

i thoroughly understand were you are coming from and i personally would have several other destinations in mind, but if is heart is set to undertake this particular trip he will experience it differently than you or i would. we don't know about his subjective associations and expectations.

but i feel as if i am arguing for the sake of it - as i said, i understand your point.

Spooky. What if a failed supersoldier Soviet project or drunk bydlo catches you while you sleep and rapes and kills you?

I've heard myths about criminals who escaped Siberian labor camps roaming through Siberia. Also many UFO sightings which can be linked to secret government experiments. But that's an extremely unlikely thing to encounter

I'm just sharing my perspective as explicitly requested by the OP.

Yeah but everyone has a different taste. For example I didn't enjoy the Nerherlands at all while many people love going there

What's the longest road trip you've taken OP? Longest time spent driving?

Can't wait to see you receive Darwin award, OP.

From Berlin to Croatia, although I've only driven to Munich and then we changed seats. So it was around 6 hours of driving for me

ogee, i already forgot op's original question. sorry

It might be a good idea for you to take a slightly shorter trip first, just so you can get used to driving for long distances multiple days in a row. In my experience, if you aren't used to it, after a few days everything starts to get sore.

You're probably right, I thought about driving through Scandinavia first, to get a little taste of what to expect

>no response

Thanks for proving my point.

You're weird dude

If you are making a claim you have to back it up or others will call you out on your bullshit.

Do you already have a Russian phrasebook? Almost no one here can speak English.

He is better of getting one of these books that have pages of little icons of things so he can point on them when he needs something.

I already speak a little Russian because my parents were born the Soviet Union. It should be enough for casual conversations

>I want to drive through Eurasia until I reach the pacific coast. I'm especially excited about the Siberian wilderness.

I doubt you have chance to meet bandits on the road in wilderness (but it was common thing during 90s), but I won't stay in camp in wilderness, since some wild animal can come to you. If it will be bear, you're dead.

Back what up dude?
And how?

Main roads in Siberia are good now, check the Goggle maps.

You were implying that there were more memorable experiences than just the two times their shit broke down. I want to hear all of them.

Totally forgot about the bears. I guess I have to take that risk

>You were implying that there were more memorable experiences than just the two times their shit broke down
The fuck should I know what their memorable experiences were exactly?
They posted loads of cool pictures and I spoke to one of them in passing at a bar. He talked about how great it was etc etc.
> I want to hear all of them.
You want their email?

Why not take the Transsiberian instead? You can make many stops along the way. Honestly, seeing how people drive in Russia, I wouldn't try it. Plus the roads can be very shitty in these areas.

You are more flexible with the car and see more of the real world than with the train

Attached: IMG_4497.jpg (1200x800, 601K)

Stop travelling.

Attached: 5698809_xlarge.jpg (1024x682, 841K)

I have no idea what the fuck you plotted between 4 and 5, but there're no roads there.
Altay to Khakassia you can only go through Kemerovo.

I've been there, traveled most of Siberia and live just north from there for the matter.

This is what it actually gonna look like. Endless forest with no landmarks. Steppes in Western parts.

M53/Baykal/Sibir whatever it's called is the only road leading from east to west in Siberia. All Russian road traffic goes through it, so it's not quite no cars around.
Also it's one lane in each direction, so you're constantly stuck in car-trains led by trucks: The road's too busy to overtake them, so you trail them for a while until the oncoming train passes by, jump it over and speed up to the next truck going your direction.
It's no wasteland either, you can't just turn left and camp in solitude.

Attached: node_74454_1.jpg (600x400, 78K)

There is a road according to that website, it says I will be passing Mongolia for a short section too

I won't just drive through one main road, I have seen several different ways to drive that route on the map

In that's case it's more of a off-road trail rather than a road.
There also likely no border crossing there either.
Foreigners can only cross Mongolian borders through Tashanta. Definitely not through unnamed village in the mountains.
My friends were fucked over once because they had a Ukrainian with them and had to go back some 1000kms to cross the border.

There's been several programs here where some guys drive from Norway. One drove to Baku in Azerbaijan while another went to Korea. This route looks much better than driving through Russia. It's very similar and boring scenery there.

Attached: 1526923543938.jpg (1920x1080, 462K)

There aren't any alternative roads between West and East Siberia.
I traveled this region through and through (not everything pictured), you can trust me.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 05.36.59.png (1148x862, 375K)

That site doesn't work for me at the moment but it definitely showed me different routes, for example one that lead north of the Baikal and one south of it. As well as one avoiding the Altai mountains and one going right through

Itiniary:
>Bavaria
>Switzerland
>Stop and eat in Austria
>Stay a couple of days in Venice, Italy
>Continue driving down Croatia, maybe visit Dubrovnik
>Drive through Greece, Stop in either Athens or Istanbul
>Drive through the Anatolian Mountains, stop in Caucasus
>Drive through Iran, see Teheran
>Visit the strange 'stans
>Drive through Tibet in China
>See some big cities in China
>Stop in Shanghai, ship your car home.

Too many border crossings and too many people desu
I might take a route to China by driving past Kazakhstan and Mongolia another time

There's no border crossings in Europe, Turkey is easy to enter, and you can easily pass through the other countries. Three years ago i sailed to Hong Kong from Norway, and beaches got quite boring after a couple of months. If travelling for so long you would really want a change of scenery to pull you ahead. I'm currently planning to sail down the rivers of eastern europe all the way to the black sea, and sailing back home through the mediterrean, it will take about 5-6 months.

I see, you love risk. I hope you will complete your journey unharmed.
And also, you should make photo report or something, it would interesting to watch you.

See its possible to find alternative routes and avoid the main highway

Attached: efzasduio.jpg (1920x1080, 579K)

Just remember to bring this CD and this only:
youtube.com/watch?v=54DtCYsOMKA

(the red line is part of the main street btw)

Thanks, I will definitely post something once I'm back

I like this one
youtube.com/watch?v=JP8bpMBNJZQ

Now I remember, the 4-5 way is
>Barnaul
>short border crossing through Mongolia
>Kyzyl (geographical center of Asia)
>Abakan

Attached: ng4911239.jpg (1920x1178, 213K)

road from Chadan to Abakan are fucked up, believe me, there are no asphalt, but muddy offroad with rocks. You better take Kyzyl-Abakan road m54. And if you're a foreigner crossing Russia with tourist visa, I don't think you can cross borders there.

t.tuvan

Yeah I fucked it up, I wanted to take the Kyzyl-Abakan road

>See
Yes, I saw most of those roads with my own eyes. How fucking dense you are?
I told you Mongolia process border crossings by foreighners (non-citizens of Mongolia or Russia) in Tashanta (next to Kosh-Agach, your proposed point of entry). The next closest border crossing you can go through is on Kyzyl-Ulanbaatar road, outside right edge of your picture.
That is assuming that road is even navigatable without all-terrain vehicle and there's even a border crossing, not a bunch of angry Mongols.

>Highway
>Main road
Even that is an overexaggaration. Those are covered by street view, you can see them for yourself. Like here, a random image from the middle of the red road: google.com/maps/@56.1209765,88.7308961,3a,75y,132.68h,83.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1qPF1y4Xy4WDf9XCjZ5y7g!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=1qPF1y4Xy4WDf9XCjZ5y7g&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=35.613125&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

youtube.com/watch?v=ACKHcIMlEcM bring viktor tsoi music with you if you like this genre of music

The road look like this. Also, you can't leave oblast or krai with rented car, you need your own car

Attached: XK62L8u3PGk.jpg (1200x800, 210K)

Yes, pic related is random street view from the blue route, looks much better
I will have to find a way around Mongolia then, no problem

Attached: eud.jpg (1920x970, 535K)

>Southern Siberia
>Mountains
Are you clinically retarded? It's literally just endless steppe.

youtube.com/watch?v=v0uSOjnRm3U

Altai, Sayan etc.

Attached: russian-physical-map.gif (1800x1097, 698K)

I was talking about that huge stretch north of Kazakhstan. Trust me, as someone who lives in Canada (a country which also has a gigantic stretch of boundless steppe-like terrain), the whole "let's drive through canada it'll be sooo cool!!!" is something that people quickly learn isn't actually like their fantasies when they try it out IRL. Driving east-west through Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Western Ontario is interesting if you're doing it for a handful of hours, but any more than that and it literally just makes you want to put a bullet through your head. And in the case of the Novosibirsk-Yekaterinburg journey, 20 hours of driving is more than enough to replicate the "bullet-to-the-head" experience.

Altay does look like that. It's pretty scenic. A lot of cool nature landmarks like waterfalls and coves.
But north of that it's dull forest. South of it it's dull desert.
See your own geographical map

Attached: IMG_20150807_154158.jpg (3264x2448, 1.27M)

Not Russian and didn't read thread
But
Do you speak Russian? Someone in your group should at a minimum.
I'm sure there are roads to service the railway, but plan for rough conditions: consider extra tires, fuel capacity etc.
Also bandits. Carry traumatic pistols.

Sounds like an absolute waste of time to be honest, if you want to get away from people, things, go to a national forest and rough it or something.

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, and you probably know this already, but anyway: You ordinarily get a 30 day visa to Russia, but you can get a 90 day "business" visa if you cash out and have a proper invite. Would probably be better with three months instead of one considering your long route.