How much do non-Americans learn about the Civil War? How much do you know about it?

How much do non-Americans learn about the Civil War? How much do you know about it?
I don't remember much, but all in all, it took us about 3 weeks in total - we had 1 40 minute-long History class each week.

Attached: New_Orleans_h76369k.jpg (3806x3017, 3.45M)

Other urls found in this thread:

marottaonmoney.com/protective-tariffs-the-primary-cause-of-the-civil-war/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We didn't talk about it in history class iirc.
All I know about it is that the South was outclassed due to the lack of population and industry and that the North won in the end.

>How much do non-Americans learn about the Civil War?
Nothing.
>How much do you know about it?
Nothing.

It gets a quick mention. since its parallel to our second war with France
We get mentioned that the south was pro slavery and the north against it, and that when it was over President Lincoln was kind enough to loose some guns near the border so the republican army could find them to do the final pushes against the french and monarchists

We do learn it, be it by conservative or communist history teachers. Especially due to slavery and its parallel here

>Studying a foreign civil war in school.
we're not so cucked yet

more like the average Spanish IQ is 67 so you only have room in your tiny simian brains to study one civil war.

why at all
it doesn't really have any greater international significance outside of boosting our industrial output and thus having an effect on trade and changing our geopolitical ambitions and interactions south of the border after the dixiecucks got whipped into submission and stopped having disproportionate control over our foreign policy

"The Civil War" as in "The American Civil War" you mean.

I don't think we learned about it at all tbph. It may have been mentioned but I don't think we ever learned about it. I remember spending a short amount of time (like a week or 2) on the British Civil War with Cromwell, but almost none of that either. Our history was mostly strayan history and World history after 1900.

However in year 12 (last year of school here) I took a class called Revolutionary History where we learned about the French and American Revolutions. Was a good subject. I've since done a lot of reading about the American Civil war though, it's a very interesting topic.

Attached: 1487040353564.jpg (960x692, 59K)

>How much do non-Americans learn about the Civil War?
At school? Idk, was drunk.
>How much do you know about it?
Sneaky Yankees cheated and oppressed south and rejected their rightful demand for freedom. Since then, US is not land of freedom anymore.

Attached: huge-size-industrial-grade-confederate-rebel-flag-8-x-12-ft-1.jpg (132x140, 15K)

>Idk, was drunk.
Seriously? AT school, or during your own time outside school?

he's a russian
he was drinking since he was one week old to stave off alcohol withdrawal

I know a lot about it but I barely saw it at school, I had to do my own research.

The main cause was disagreement about tariffs.

Muttericans like to say that the main reason was slavery in the new states, but is a lie.

Northern states wanted protective tariffs for their incipient industries while the Southerns wanted free trade to export cotton to England

Protective Tariffs: The Primary Cause of the Civil War

For 72 years, Northern special interest groups used these protective tariffs to exploit the South for their own benefit. Finally in 1861, the oppression of those import duties started the Civil War.

In addition to generating revenue, a tariff hurts the ability of foreigners to sell in domestic markets. An affordable or high-quality foreign good is dangerous competition for an expensive or low-quality domestic one. But when a tariff bumps up the price of the foreign good, it gives the domestic one a price advantage. The rate of the tariff varies by industry.

If the tariff is high enough, even an inefficient domestic company can compete with a vastly superior foreign company. It is the industry’s consumers who ultimately pay this tax and the industry’s producers who benefit in profits.

As early as the Revolutionary War, the South primarily produced cotton, rice, sugar, indigo and tobacco. The North purchased these raw materials and turned them into manufactured goods. By 1828, foreign manufactured goods faced high import taxes. Foreign raw materials, however, were free of tariffs.

Thus the domestic manufacturing industries of the North benefited twice, once as the producers enjoying the protection of high manufacturing tariffs and once as consumers with a free raw materials market. The raw materials industries of the South were left to struggle against foreign competition.

Because manufactured goods were not produced in the South, they had to either be imported or shipped down from the North. Either way, a large expense, be it shipping fees or the federal tariff, was added to the price of manufactured goods only for Southerners. Because importation was often cheaper than shipping from the North, the South paid most of the federal tariffs.

Without the protectionist policy inspired by Alexander Hamilton and state subsidies, the United States would never have developed.

If the country had followed the free-market policy of the South, it would be just like Brazil, where slaveholders determined free market policies to import industrialized goods from England while exporting commodities like coffee, sugar cane, and cotton.

In fact, Portugal banned any manufacture in Brazil. In the meantime, England did not give a damn about the Northern USA, since nothing that was produced there was of interest to the metropolis. So they were left free to develop, while the South was forced to produce cotton to supply England's textile industry.
When England decided to tighten the North with tariffs to recover from an economic crisis, independence occurred.

It wasn't mentioned, I only knew it from movies.

>Sneaky Yankees cheated and oppressed south and rejected their rightful demand for freedom

Prisse ouf Freedums

I remember we talked about it very briefly in class in middle-school but I don't really know why
This is a totally irrelevant event for us
Maybe because we were learning about the abolition of slavery so we strolled through it at some point

>How much do you know about it
I know it wasn't really about slavery but for economic reasons and that making the war about slavery was for the Union a way to prevent anti-slavery France and UK helping the Confederacy
Don't know how it carried though, the battles and all, I just know the big lines

At school sometimes, no big deal in my school.

>I know it wasn't really about slavery but for economic reasons
Already know more than 99,9% of amerimutts

Ah, it was about tariffs, who doesn't know it.

Amerimutts

That's pretty crazy. You would have been suspended and got in a lot of trouble if you came school drunk here. People did show up high sometimes, but that's harder for teachers to see/prove.

good thread

I went to work high off meth and xanax. Would smoke meth in the company bathroom, and spiked my coffee with whiskey almost daily for a month.

Also smoked weed on my breaks.