Trump invokes War of 1812 in testy call with Trudeau over tariffs

>President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a testy phone call on May 25 over new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration targeting steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada, including one moment during the conversation in which Trump made an erroneous historical reference, sources familiar with the discussion told CNN.

>According to the sources, Trudeau pressed Trump on how he could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue. In response, Trump quipped to Trudeau, "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" referring to the War of 1812.

>The problem with Trump's comments to Trudeau is that British troops burned down the White House during the War of 1812. Historians note the British attack on Washington was in retaliation for the American attack on York, Ontario, in territory that eventually became Canada, which was then a British colony.

cnn.com/2018/06/06/politics/war-of-1812-donald-trump-justin-trudeau-tariff

Attached: p04t74tj.jpg (1280x640, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/identities/2018/3/13/17101504/civil-war-history-trump-adminsitration-jeff-sessions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Empire–United_States_relations
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So fucking KC tier.

>tfw a bunch of hicks will get mad over something that happened in 1812 and start committing terrorist attacks in Canada

Thanks Mohammad Ibn-Trump

So does that mean we can bring up the Mexican American war?

>it's real
jesus christ

Attached: 1519334602010.jpg (451x330, 29K)

wtf I love Drumpf now

canadas going to get an exemption. uk will get that deal after brexit. anglos will be taken care of and everything will merrily move along

Inshallah! PBUH!

Attached: 183646Image1.jpg (460x286, 24K)

Guaranteed he's been listening to someone who browses Jow Forums

wtf drumpf browses int

Attached: 1525980311454.jpg (1086x652, 93K)

BASED

Attached: 1519893721402.jpg (712x768, 114K)

>canada is our enemy
>europe is our enemy
>saudi arabia is our friend
>israel is our master
this shit is getting nuts

based af not gonna lie

>referring to the War of 1812.

Attached: Napoleons_retreat_from_moscow.jpg (800x570, 281K)

Every day he surprises me with the depths of his stupidity.

Attached: 46643.gif (240x180, 1.28M)

Nice!

Attached: stalin.gif (160x196, 17K)

Hes probably just joking

CHINA!

Attached: 1397421271329.jpg (300x339, 25K)

But it's not funny, and why would he even bring up a war that the Americans lost when talking about a possible trade war?

Based Celtic Kraut exposing the vile Anglos and their shenanigans yet again.

Murricans never lost! #fakenewsbbc!

Attached: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (960x1280, 149K)

>this happened on my birthday
Oh my.

The legal basis for the tariffs is that they're for national security.
Trudeau threw a hissy fit over the idea that the US doesn't trust Canada.
Thus Trump jokingly brings up 1812 as an example of Canada being hostile to the US.

Why are canadians so entitled? Why do you think you deserve tariff-free trade with the usa?

>Trump jokingly brings up 1812 as an example of Canada being hostile to the US
But 1812 was a war of American hostility.

Canadian cavalry?

Attached: saori.jpg (480x360, 36K)

Attached: 1489339107097.jpg (1500x1000, 126K)

>Based Celtic Kraut exposing the vile Anglos
An "Anglo" is literally just a "Celtic Kraut"

I don't know what foreigners even mean when they say Anglo these days.
I don't think they do either.

Shut up a*gloid.

>what foreigners even mean when they say Anglo these days.
"sneaky bastard"

Attached: Marica-Hase-439970.jpg (120x120, 3K)

>Canadians LARP about burning the white house down for decades
>drumpf brings it up
>"um actually sweetie it was the british"

Attached: 1503692338477.gif (360x264, 2M)

not the first time he rewrote history
vox.com/identities/2018/3/13/17101504/civil-war-history-trump-adminsitration-jeff-sessions
also, i found this unrelated line funny
>A recent report from the Southern Poverty Law Center found that just 8 percent of high school seniors can identify slavery as the central cause of the Civil War.

Oh, freedom and human rights - that must be British dog?

Attached: f6920594396d5dc0006f7dd1fb96ec0d.jpg (651x1000, 144K)

You've lost me now.

Attached: 1527997395772.gif (197x200, 2.25M)

Shut up m*** or I'll burn your house down again

This faggot has to browse Jow Forums
Maybe, but the vast majority of Americans are brainwashed to think we started that. So they literally grow up thinking we were the bad guys, we had it coming, we deserved it, they were merciful enough to not finish the job, they should have gotten at least the Baja California peninsula as well, if not the entire North, remember the Alamo, etc. etc. etc., so it probably wouldn't end well.

there you have it, the americans have finally admitted that we (canada) burnt down their white house

Based Trump bringing us to The Day of the Rake

the vast majority of americans don't know or care about the mexican american war

And the ones who do, think exactly what I wrote, word by word.

Nice try, beady eye.

Attached: 1526673522570.png (409x438, 29K)

Most of Murricans think they won Cold War.

Attached: files-reagan-gorbachev.jpg (1581x2200, 570K)

WAAAAAH PLEASE DON'T STEAL THE LAND I STOLE FROM THE INDIANS DADDY YANKEE NOOOOOOOO

But "anglos" is an almost meaningless term in most contexts
How is Trudeau an anglo but Trump not?

Stop posting silly mong

While he is a shitter for propagating that falsehood this puts Canadians in a position of finally realizing the truth about what happened because the entire world will go at lengths to prove him wrong. They will have to choose between "fuck drupgthy" or "we totally got america that one time!"

most Americans think we single handily won WW2

Yeah, this post was supposed to be under the "etc, etc." category.

But mexicans are natives anyways

GIVE IT BACK GIVE IT BACK GIVE IT BAAAAAAAAAAAACK

actually it was a war where British royal funded Canadians attacked the US

You can have it desu no one has ever asked for that.

>GIVE IT BACK GIVE IT BACK GIVE IT BAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Attached: image.png (1190x714, 265K)

Most american historicians don't know how Russia helped American independence either.
>Catherine the Great, a Russian empress who ruled from 1762–1796, played a modest role in the American Revolutionary War through her politicking with other European heads of state. Initially, the tsarina took a keen interest in the American struggle because it affected "English and European politics" and frankly believed that Britain was to blame for the conflict.[17] She held a negative opinion of King George and his diplomats, often treating them with contempt.[18] Nonetheless, the British crown still formally requested 20,000 troops in 1775[19] and sought an alliance.[20] She refused both pleas. Upon Spain's entry into the war, Britain once again turned to the Russian Empire, but this time, the English hoped for naval support. Catherine II once again ignored the British requests.
>In 1780, during the period of Catherine II's mediating, Britain attempted to bribe the Russian Empire into an alliance. London offered St. Petersburg the island of Menorca if the Russians would agree to join the British in the war. Despite the economic boost such an acquisition offered, Catherine the Great refused this bribe and utilized it as an opportunity to make George III a laughing–stock of the European powers.

AZTLAN

Herr Drumpf, is that yououou?

>>According to the sources, Trudeau pressed Trump on how he could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue. In response, Trump quipped to Trudeau, "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" referring to the War of 1812.

Attached: 1518124340015.jpg (272x272, 55K)

Attached: 1498134085763.jpg (1197x1133, 195K)

>Americans elected this obese dumbass

What a fucking joke, he's barely smarter than Maduro

It's over. America is lost. I regret voting for that orange cheetos

Attached: 1494515299229.png (411x600, 113K)

I'm already seeing it trending on twitter, canada's most proud moment has now been destroyed as everyone is jumping over each other to point out it was the brits

Attached: 1505575406364.jpg (800x800, 117K)

>America is lost

Attached: wag-the-dog.jpg (780x439, 109K)

what if canada just trades with mexico instead?

At least one good thing came out of this then, seeing Canadians pretending it was them has always been extremely cringeworthy.

has any world leader gotten more mogged than trump did that fateful day?

Attached: trudeau alphamale.jpg (1500x1500, 467K)

It's great, I'm seeing some Canadians struggle with how they should respond, some saying he's right, some saying "it's like kinda true but not really" wew

They've only ever really gotten away with it because it's a fairly obscure and forgettable war for us that many people don't even know happened, let alone people in the rest of the world.
Those of us who do know just don't even care enough to correct them.

I keep doing dream checks for my lucid dreaming but they keep coming up negative.

Something must be wrong, why can't I wake up?

Attached: 1502975906366.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

good i love this guy, he makes america more and more a joke country, like merkel with germany.

Except ours is trying to improve his country.

Attached: 1508179255217.jpg (645x729, 27K)

>closest ally, neighbor and trading partner for 150 years
>enforces huge tariffs in the name of “national security”

I think syphillis is deteriorating his brain.

This has got to be bait.

wtf I love Russia now

She were most based Russian ruler of all times.
>In November 1779, Britain made another plea for Russian assistance. Swallowing their pride, the British ministry acknowledged to Catherine the collective power of Britain’s enemies, as well as the King’s desire for peace. The British ministry's letter to Catherine explained these concerns and offered to “commit her [Britain’s] interests to the hand of the Empress.”[10] The British included a specific request that Russia use force against all British enemies, including other European countries, to stop the American Revolution. After waiting several months, Catherine decided to refuse Britain’s request.[11] In 1781, Britain attempted to bribe Russia to gain its assistance. Distressed and realizing that they were close to losing the war, James Harris asked if a piece of British territory could convince Russia to join the fight on the side of England. Offering the island of Minorca, Harris did not request soldiers in exchange; this time Britain simply asked that Russia convince France to exit the war and force the American rebels to fight alone. Perhaps revealing her secret desire to have the Americans gain their independence, Catherine used Harris' proposal to embarrass Britain. She declined Harris’ offer and published Britain’s attempts at bribery to the French and Spanish.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Empire–United_States_relations

>French and Russian monarchs support US republican independence just to spite Britain
>end up getting murdered out of existence by their own anti-monarchists

NICE

>by their own anti-monarchists
>their own
>inspired, conspired by Britain
>paid by Britain
>saved by Britain if needed
>supported in smear media campaign by Britain
>their own huh

That's even better.

So she was right. England must be destroyed for good.

>intervene in our business and generally be petty and spiteful as fuck about it
>get mad that we then do the same thing to you, to much more devastating effect

What goes around, Ivan.

Sounds more like they declined to get involved your business while you desperately begged for them to intervene.

Brits used to think their 'great game' is mandatory for all the world, by their rules of course.
The sad story is modern America is pretty much follower of that nowadays.

>Why does a Wikipedia page about an American issue written by Americans and citing exclusively American sources throw an anti-British slant in
Real headscratcher.

Wikipedia is totally reliable until it says something you don't like.

But of course, I'm sure you're above that attitude?

Yeah, I'm basically perfect

anglos need a nuke in their most important cities/ports
Only then they might really learn from their mistakes

>Italy
*Unrestrained laughter*

Attached: O-cUu3E__400x400.jpg (400x400, 32K)

It's like Jow Forums but irl

Did they do mistakes actually?

If you want to be serious, America started the war in protest of the British navy press-ganging American citizens (while also drooling northwards)

>in protest of the British navy press-ganging American citizens

that's all I need. fucking bongs.

remember 1812

Remember 1812 !

What a massive autist.

>1812
>Historians in Britain often see it as a minor theatre of the Napoleonic Wars; in the United States and Canada, it is seen as a war in its own right.
>Russian history don't even notice something other than "The French invasion of Russia, known in Russia as the Patriotic War of 1812"

Only if you want that ass whooped again.

Its not that. Its that Canada has held tariffs on US goods while we havent reciprocated.

Shit, thats usually just people fucking with you.

Fucking based, this is is vintage Trump.

What part of Make AMERICA Great Again doesn't the rest of the world understand? The tariffs are there to protect American jobs. If Canada doesn't like it, then too bad.

Attached: download.jpg (301x167, 12K)