DJT - Daily Japanese Thread #2007.8

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread: boards.Jow Forums.org/int/thread/90551475/

Attached: 1528192725743s.jpg (250x186, 7K)

Is 35 cards in anki a day a good amount or too much?

It's hard to give a general answer because of all the variables, like how much time you have, how motivated you are, whether or not you've studied kanji in advance, etc. However, just generally speaking, 35/day will amount to quite a few reps once it stabilizes and it can be pretty tough to get through them. If you're just starting out and you don't really know what you're getting into yet, I'd recommend 15-20 for a few months and then increase it if you feel like you can take it.

You mean new cards? Way too much. 25 is already pushing it. Just do 15-20 like the other user said.

I've been doing 120-135 reps for the past month or more, it hasn't increased at all despite the total words I've learned having gone from 600 to 1200 in that time. I already set the max reviews to 9999 in settings but it just seems weird to me. Is this normal? Also, I'm getting 5-8 mature cards shown to me per day while having 600 or so total mature cards. Is this the expected number?

諦めた

Attached: 159439572847.jpg (655x509, 73K)

諦めるのを諦めろ。

Probably not the best idea to make the thread at 2 am but here's a bump before i go to bed

My frst day of learning. Got down 15 hiragana after watching some namasensei videos. Feels good man.

>shouldn't make thread at 2am
>international board
shiggy

Good job
The majority of regular posters are Euros. The proof is in the pudding since threads always die in our off-peak hours.

I finished core a few months ago and have been reading instead. My reviews are almost always parked between 100-250 remaining reviews because I can't be bothered to do core anymore now that I'm done. I've been making a mining deck and recordings of new words I listen to when I drive but it still feels wrong not doing core or Anki as much as I used to even thought, generally my efficiency is increasing.

Attached: 1526726143130.jpg (960x720, 51K)

Core just seems like a diving board into building a vocabulary for reading. Once I finish it and start reading I doubt I'll stick with it much longer after that.

I don't, I'm a stats addict and it hurts watching the reviews pile up after I worked so hard to do them all the time for over a year. However it's bitter sweet because some of the definitions in Anki are so wrong or vague that when I finally encounter them reading they are used a context I would never have expected under a meaning I didn't fully grasp when running through Anki.

Attached: chinatsu.png (311x481, 221K)

小テスト

Attached: quiz_01.png (1256x978, 349K)

6. うんち

答え合わせ
How many questions were you able to answer correctly?

Attached: quiz_01_00.png (940x948, 58K)

Hakujin here. Been travelling through shikoku for the past 10 days or so. Nobody speaks english here, and its a blessing to be honest. Never before have i had such practice in a foreign language in suh few days. Its quite nice.

先生は下ネタを言うためにワザと間違える子は大嫌いです!(乂∀`)┌┛)`д);∴ゲシッ

All of them, I'm am an Anki lvl 23.

いいな
うらやましい

Attached: 1525276184406.jpg (570x385, 56K)

Are you a Scandinavian who asked about travel on a Japanese general thread before?

>All of them, I'm am an Anki lvl 23.
ヨシヨシ( ,,´^ω^)ノ"(' ω ' * )

Attached: hanko_taihenyokudekimashita.png (648x648, 199K)

Couldn't read 4,6,9,10
After seeing the reading the only word I didn't know was 6

下ネタだなんて、純粋なミスでしたよ先生!

>汽車の窓からちんちん出して
>汽車賃出したと大威張り

Attached: 876C9691-8F06-47DA-A320-3BF8D569AA5F.jpg (318x463, 22K)

OK desu (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و
Let’s do your best

先生は嘘つきはもっと嫌いです! ⊂( ・∀・) 彡 =͟͟͞͞()`Д´) ガッ

Attached: grade3_ganbarimashita.png (777x777, 183K)

Why yes, that was probably me. Ended up going with the shikoku henro, but im afraid my knees might be stopping me.

そうね、四国は美しいね

Is there a n4-n1 vocab anki deck that doesn't have a fucked format? As it is I can see the answers on the first side. Or even just the N1 and N2 stuff?

Please don't strain yourself too much
BTW you are in a non-English speaking country though, is there any problem?

all of them

(○ ´ ・д・)ヾ(。^ω^`。) ヨシヨシ

Attached: hanko_taihenyokudekimashita.png (450x450, 141K)

勉強のために行きたいだけど日本で夏暑すぎね

誰と話し勉強してる?見知らぬ 人?見知らぬ 人?友達?新しい友達?

Attached: 1522006511254.jpg (640x494, 44K)

Been taking it easy for a few days. Been walking with this jap who doesnt speak a word of english, but were still getting along fine. Im a bit worried though, he wants to walk (hes currently somewhere between 23 and 24, a 77km stretch) while i want to hitchhike. Im currently waiting for him to get to 23. At the beginning i wanted to hitchhike for the fun of it, but now with my knees i think it might actually be a necessity... also with time limitations. Its a big bother desu, and its stressing me a bit because i have a schedule to keep.

No problems that google translate cant solve, but for the most part my really shitty japanese works. I can make small talk and communicate ideas and wishes, so im gucci as far as the language goes.

Ching chong nip nong sorry buddy i cant do moonrunes, hiragana i might understand but that's it.

This is the official twitter of the embassy of Russia in Japan.
In fact, their Japanese is not as good as the best posters in this thread and it always makes me wonder why a superpower like Russia put such a skill-less interpreter in charge of an authoritative position like that.

Attached: russia.png (585x491, 260K)

Google translate gets the jist of it but it's too hot for me during summer in Japan.
I was asking who are practicing Japanese with but you have kind of answered it.in your last post.
How long are you staying?

Attached: 1511226906369.jpg (1803x1351, 388K)

Leaving in a bit less than a month. Been here for almost two weeks now. Tbh the temperature is perfect rn, been about 24c last few days when i checked, but also rainy as fuck from time to time.

And I also wonder why they don't make their yuru-chara mascots for their twitter account,
hopefully bear cub Misha or Natasha-chan from war and peace.

Attached: missah.jpg (240x240, 10K)

I live in Vancouver, I'm used to the rain so much I wouldn't mind going in the rainy seasons.
24 is okay but over and I get too sweaty and tired, I wouldn't enjoy my time there if that was the case.

Maybe they just don't know, I mean, is that tweet targeted at Japanese in Russia?

Dutchybros made 4 /nederdraad/ threads, but they all went to sleep after partying! What to do now?

Attached: 1528117866061.jpg (679x960, 275K)

>Target
Anybody in Japan, include largest newspaper companies.

Attached: russia.png (571x587, 393K)

I need help
>そういえばそうでした
そういえば-speaking of which
そうです-that is so. Then そうでした-it was so
All together would be, "speaking of which, it was so" but a had a Japanese friend translate it as something along the lines of
>speaking of which, your English so good that I forgot it was that you are not a native English speaker
Is this close, are we lost in translation here

Attached: 1521902037742.jpg (500x641, 112K)

It depends of the context.
May be the whole conversation might be like
>"お前ここの冠詞はtheじゃなくてaだろ。なんでこんな事間違えたんだよ?"
>"まあ俺、英語ネイティブじゃないし"
>"そういえばそうだった(そういえばこいつ英語ネイティブじゃなかった)"

And I couldn't grasp the meaning of "a had a Japanese friend translate it" precisely. Is it another expression of "Once my Japanese friend translated it"?

Attached: nagatoro.jpg (334x499, 44K)

How about Swimming in a canal in summer morning?

Attached: pyogu.jpg (800x450, 43K)

Want to have two anki decks. One is en to jp, other's reversed. Created one, flipped it. But when I try to import the flipped version the program says that it imported 0 cards. What should I do?

> why a superpower like Russia put such a skill-less interpreter in charge of an authoritative position like that
Because nepotism.

> why they don't make their yuru-chara mascots for their twitter account
Mascots aren't a thing in Russia. They are temporary at best, like that Olympics bear you posted.

ありがとう、その文脈はもっと分かり安

Small typo on my part
>a had a Japanese friend translate it
Should have been
>"I" had a Japanese friend translate it
But the meaning is I used my Japanese friend as a reference for translation. Kind of a request

Attached: 1516964982635.png (877x500, 804K)

“a had a” is a typo
He meant to say “I had a Japanese friend translate it.”
-> 「俺は日本人の友達に翻訳してもらった」

>苦笑

共感

On the other hand, possibility of them not caring should also not be thrown out of the window.
- Say something in Japanese.
- 私はイワンです。
- Welcome aboard.

>俺は日本人の友達に翻訳してもらった
ありがとう、あなたの説明のほうがいい

そうかな、とは思いました。
でも、どの道会話全部を教えて貰わないと正確に把握はできないですね。

Attached: 6A009075-E0E6-401D-A232-C1479C24C3AE.jpg (220x600, 42K)

It sure is easy to feel like a retard when reading.

I don't want herpes.

>when reading
That's the easy part. I've been studying for years and have trouble forming anything more than basic sentences. That's why I'm not typing in Japanese right now, because I could probably do it but it would take me 15 minutes and be riddled with mistakes.

You get better through practice, and you have proper materials to at least figure out the right words to use (see weblio and eow). Ask for corrections on the mistakes you do make. Doesn't help to not try at all.

>俺の読んでる時顔
>俺の話してる時顔
俺のタイピングはええと思ってけど話すときはかなり恥ずかしがり屋よ。返信したら日本語でください、支援してる!俺の希望は皆が日本語できる

Attached: 1522200108625.png (645x729, 56K)

If you have any proficiency at reading then it shouldn't take long for you to get good at forming sentences

Just practise on Hellotalk or something until you git gud

>ええと思う
いい*
たぶんタイピングが悪化になってるな

あまり返信したいことがないけど、やってみる。今年の能力試験を再び受けたいんが、anki以外ものを勉強する時間がないと思う。文法がよく覚えて出来ない。事業の単語も全然理解できない、特に聞くとき。以上は5分ぐらいかっかた

dun bully me pls it's been ages

>今年の能力試験を再び受けたい
えーおれも受けたい、カナダで12月があると思う。最近、読むよりankiけどもって勉強しなきゃ。文法も難しい、事業の単語とテストの問題
頑張りましたよ

Attached: 1521758053180.jpg (439x500, 36K)

>もって
もっと*
It might be time for me to stop posting.

Personally I feel more retarded when listening

does 適当 have two opposite meanings? what about えらい?

Bumpu
Fuck reading, long live listening practice

they both suck, when listening you miss out words, because you get the gist of the sentence so if you’re not paying attention you don’t even realise what you’re not hearing. And reading is slow, because apparently Japanese has an unlimited amount of obscure words that you will probably see once in your life

Attached: 1522291730838.png (601x601, 406K)

>Your whole comment is applied to all my cases in English.

Attached: C3BA27F5-E385-48F4-B945-5BA0E9DBAA8F.jpg (317x423, 42K)

Truth but listening is less active and thus I find it easier.

頑張って日本友達! Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?

nothing makes you go faster from "I know Japanese" to "no comprendo" than listening to a group of people talking