Could the Irish language be revived?

Could the Irish language be revived?

Attached: 1200px-Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (1200x1650, 406K)

As a spoken language? No.
It's always going to exist in books though. People will always be able to learn it if they want.

Yes. My language has survived against bigger odds.

Irish person here. It's sad how the eternal A*glo keeps undermining my ancestral homeland and language.

Even with non-spoken language there are levels. There are things like Latin in 10th-19th century Western Europe, and then there's Akkadian which is known but not 'used' like that other dead language was.

Which language?

If you create content in Irish that's worth learning the language for, along with actually entertaining apps to learn the language, sure. Else, sorry to say but no.

Don't all your government workers have to know how to speak Irish?

You really think the non-white inhabitants of Ireland in the year 2120 will speak it?

Just now realizing Ireland really does have a fuckton of massive lakes

>Massive
Relative to Ireland's size, maybe.

The kikes revived their language after literally thousands of years of being dormant. You lazy micks have been independent for almost a century now. You could've easily done the same, but you didn't and you never will. You'd prefer to continue blaming us for your dead meme language, rather than actually getting off your arses and doing something about it. Most Irish people don't give a fuck about the Irish language. There's no incentive to learn it in this globalised world, so they don't. It's death is on you, not us.

ireland is a false nation, created through central powers wartime propagands.
It's 99% anglo ffs.
just rejoin the british union

no
and thats a good thing

Seriously, how is speaking English in Ireland still a thing? You have a perfectly good muh heritage language and yet you all speak your former occupier's language. The Jews revived Hebrew and now the whole of Israel speaks it. How hard it is to do it, fucking Irish drunks.

it could be revived in one generation but they dont want us to have any national pride or become even slightly less attractive to foreign businesses

There are still around 80,000 Irish speakers

Easily but it won't due to laziness.

This MUTT

Jews revived Hebrew and that language was pretty dead. Irish isn't dead in comparison, it seems as though nobody wants to use it though.

That's native speakers right?

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone.
It’s with O’Leary in the grave

I don't know. There are still native speakers in the Gaeltacht areas and and people on the Aran Islands only speak Irish

Hebrew's revival was an entirely different context though. Jews at the time didn't all share a common language, meaning that they had to revive Hebrew in order to have a lingua franca that was both practical and symbolical. Problem is, what does speaking Irish mean to an average Irishman? Chances are, it's just an annoyance.

Attached: sad_depressed_dog.jpg (880x577, 80K)

irish ppl are too dumb and lazy to learn it

its more than that, by speaking english we have access to british and american media which are two of the biggest in the world so children just dont care about learning irish since they see no reason for it.
Its only when you’re an adult you realise what was lost

and how can Romanticism die?

You'd think a country that was treated like shit for 800 years and had it's language banned would want to revive their own language instead of speaking the language of their enemy.

through the rejection of traditions, selling out of the country and the pursuit of money above more noble goals

Can't the government just make it mandatory in school as a second language?

Then the only things that can save the language is greater emphasis on passing it down and making it fun to learn, I imagine that in today's world, making a Duolingo/HelloChinese type app for Irish ought to be easy and provide great amount of returns for the initial investment of finding good Gaeilge speakers.
It is, but apparently teachers are shit, they read poetry all day and it's worthless outside of that

it is

Allow me to make a brief timeline of injuries to the Aramaic language.

300 B.C.: Alexander the Great invades the Persian Empire, destroying entire collections of documents in the language.

100 A.D.: Jews defeated in war, decades later they have lost faith in the Aramaic language and attempt to reverse its use in the Bar Kokhba revolt.

300 A.D.: Constantine converts to Christianity, Persians become zealots, both sides oppress the border regions between them which were the Aramaic/ean heartlands.

600 A.D.: Arabs take over, their language becomes the majority language in half the areas where Aramaic was the majority over the course of 3 centuries or less.

1000 A.D.: Kurds gain power, the Arabic script proliferates, literacy of Aramaic speakers declines.

1400 A.D.: Use of the language largely ends in central and eastern Asia, Tamerlane massacres many speakers, it also ends in Palestine and parts of Syria.

1600 A.D.: Portuguese battle with Indian Nasranis attempting to replace the language with Latin for their clerics, Orthodox do the same with Greek in the Levant.

1800 A.D.: All speakers begin feeling the pressure to use foreign languages, education in it and monolingualism drop severely.

1900 A.D.: Speakers genocided to approximately the same degree as Armenians by Ottomans, but with no compensation. (See "Seyfo" "Syriac genocide" "Assyrian genocide"). Mandean community which preserved important Aramaic things also gets killed somehow. Many books and artifacts burnt, and places deserted.

1950 A.D.: zombified Hebrew threatens the Judeo-Aramaic dialects with extinction after expulsions of Jews into Israel.

2010 A.D.: I.S.I.S. burns down possibly the largest majority settlement of speakers, Qaraqosh.

But you know the saying, come speario, spare yo and whatnot.

Oh yes, and more 'genocide of c. 1900' specifically noticeable in the 1930s and 1980s.

Has it been revived in some way, or is it less spoken now than a century ago?

It really is bizzare, Maori and Hawaiian had more promising revitalization progress in the past few decades than Irish did during the same time span. Hell even fucking native american languages have had more success recently in terms of the proportion of speakers in comparison to the overall population. Although it does make sense since individual native american group populations are just a fraction of the Irish population.

From what I've read it's not endangered yet. It's just marginalized.

I want to see Scottish Gaelic thrive! My grandmother spoke it and I regret that I never learned from her.

Are there rare things in the language she might have known/said that linguists haven't recorded?

Does Welsh have more chance than Irish?

I would assume both languages use one word each to express 'chance'.

Welsh is spoken by a huge percentage of the population as far as I know, it's very much alive. Irish and Scottish are spoken by 1~2% of their countries regularly.