What does it mean when someone says english is not a phonetic language?

What does it mean when someone says english is not a phonetic language?
What would be the difference between english and a normal phonetic language?
I dont understand this concept

Attached: 1522901615995.png (500x430, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A phonetic language is spelled exactly how it's pronounced with few to no exceptions, for example Spanish.

English and French are not pronounced how they're spelled, they are not phonetic.

Pronounciation changes gradually over time in all languages, from time to time reforms in standardized spelling is necessary to remain phonetic.

Phonetic just means its pronounced the way its spelled, chill out sweetie

vat do jú dont ándörsztend dumb amerikan

The a in cat is not pronunced as the a in gate

Ит минз итз фaкин щит

The r in wir is not pronounced like the r in Arbeit.

Read the following words and notice how the "gh" and the "ou" are pronounced in different ways.
Thorough, through, rough, though, thought, enough

This doesn't happen in the nice languages

Spanish may be ugly in its orthography, but god damn english is truly the la creatura of languages.

Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.

Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.

Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.

Pronunciation -- think of Psyche!
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

Attached: 1528379229620.gif (528x555, 816K)

It is, they are just brainlets who don't understand there are a lot of French loan words that follow French pronunciation rules. They just don't know how to recognize them.
Also some words have changed in pronunciation over time, but we didn't change the spelling until it became unrecognizable

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

Dumb nigger, that's the reason english isn't phonetic
It'd be fine if the language had perhaps 5-10% of french loanwords following french rules, but not when it's about fucking half of the entire vocabulary

But it is, borrowed words are not, it just happens that we borrow a lot of words and have a variety of dialects/accents who all pronounce things very differently, but all need to have a common spelling.
If you look at your own language long enough you'll notice the inconsistencies too. They aren't going to be the same types, but there are always stupid exceptions to the rules for historical reasons

>the la creatura
>the the

Spanish has a nice rhythm and vowel-consonant ratio, the words aren't too long nor have autistic combinations like the germans, truly a Latin language.

On the other hand as you can see by and english doesn't really have a substance. That's why they don't even bother regulating the language, they wouldn't know what's the real "englishness"

english speakers are such fucking shit in their own language, it's actually humiliating desu lads

They may be borrowed, but they have to follow the god damn rules. What language it is, french or english? Why does each second word follow completely alien rules of pronounciation? Common spelling combined with different dialects is literally china tier retardation

As for my language, (mostly owing to different script) we don't have many inconsistencies and borrowed words almost always are written as pronounced; that is the correct way the language is supposed to be spoken.

'La Creatura' in this case is a personal/unique/whatever the english word for this concept name, thus it would be correct to write it that way. Not that I care about french when writing in english now do I?

>'La Creatura' in this case is a personal/unique/whatever the english word for this concept name
the word is proper name

Yeah that's frankly disgusting. I think the best would be if American and British english dialects properly split off to become proper languages, both thoroughly reformed to fit whatever dialect their authorities wanted. Like standartise (ze) local french influence or get rid of it. That would solve the issue of 382132918 local dialects they both have.

In my country, we don't have dialects whatsoever because our language is extremely standartized. Thus I, a person from Primorye, could talk with another one from say Kaliningrad and our speech wouldn't differ at all.

Yeah, thanks. My vocabulary is miserable when it comes to linguistics.

>phonetic
Shouldn't it be phonemic instead?
We're talking about having a 1:1 correspondence between sound and letter

Anyway, the biggest problems are having multiple possibilities of how to spell a single phoneme
and having more than one way to pronounce a letter/combination of letters
Literally any vowel can turn into a schwa sound with no indication in spelling
the 'ch' digraph has multiple possible readings that depend on the word

Respelling the consonants would probably work the same for everyone, like changing C to K/S based on pronunciation etc.
But the vowel differences in between dialects are too big for 'spell it how you say it' to be usable

>it isn't but it actually is!
get a grip

Words in english serve the same purpose as logograms in east-asian languages. A particular set of sounds is attached to a particular looking character composed of multiple characters of latin alphabet.

Attached: 1516718429082.png (478x523, 14K)

english sounds flat at least but Spanish sounds like 1.25 speed gay turkish

I guess English would need the construction of new phonetic signs to make up for the large amount of different phonemes, like the nordics have. It would look ugly like all the nordic written languages but it'd make sense.

Also, I find it stupid how much words English borrows, for example they use the word Conquistador to refer to the spanish conquerors of the 16 century, when they already have a word for it.

That post was about written language

It's just that English is not really fit with Latin script, and the influence of French just exarcebates that. To make it phonemic they'd need to significantly reform the script itself; and probably indeed add new letters like Scandinavians did. It's the same reason we slavs didn't simply adopt the Greek script when we could: it was too detached from our actual sounds, thus Cyrillic was created as a substitute. The similar thing happened with Kushans in about first century AD - they adopted Greek script as legacy, but their sounds were completely different and they even invented new letters to actually make it work and not be retarded.

>Not that I care about french when writing in english now do I?
la creatura est en espagnol

It isn't doesn't actually belong in any language since it's a proper name. It is only attached to its script. It could be used in english, french, spanish, german - whatever, it doesn't matter if it's a proper name.

If you made up a word in English it would be phonic though because the base grammar is phonic. Like a said we just have a lot of French words that have different pronunciation rules.

>it doesn't
quick fix

does scottish english sound like a different language? i know most other varieties of english sound like goofy/gay simlish but i imagine scots sounds cool to someone who doesnt speak it

sounds like people who can only pronounce vowels

>They may be borrowed, but they have to follow the god damn rules.
>borrowed words almost always are written as pronounced
Well not in English, if it's Latin character we copy it directly over, anything non standard such as accent marks are just dropped. An exception would be the German ß, which does get converted to it's equivalent in English. This rule is also consistent for shit like Chinese which is why Chinese words in English have horrible spellings that make no sense like the Qing dynasty which is pronounced like Ching because we use the romanization developed by the Chinese.
You don't have to like it, but those are the rules
>we don't have many inconsistencies
No, you're just used to the nonsense

>No, you're just used to the nonsense
>t. russian language expert

latin with additional letters and consistent rules works just fine for slavic languages

t. flag

t. Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
That aside, several additional letters and it's good

Well, to that I can only say one thing: English language has absolutely trash rules. Truly the la creatura of languages...

Also Qing is not pronounced Ching, it's Tsing