Why doesn't NASA do anything interesting anymore?

Why doesn't NASA do anything interesting anymore?

Attached: nasa.png (570x450, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-directs-creation-space-force-sixth-branch-military/story?id=55978674
space.gov.au
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Space just isn't the spicy meme that it used to be. Bummer.

uh they are sending black women to space how is that not interesting

Didn't they send apes in space before?

Racist.
Shouldn't you be hacking an election or something?

Billionaire tax breaks aren't gonna pay for themselves so you gotta cut in unnecessary things like science.

First we hack your election
Next time we hack your genome

It accomplishes literally nothing of measurable value beyond dickwaving.

No more wars and no more interest in making better rockets.

men have grown soft

Attached: PIA19952-1920x1200.jpg (1920x1200, 395K)

There's the internet although that one brought negative value to the world.

Fuck you and this entire mindset. The space race was one of the greatest accomplishments humanity has ever achieved. What has more "measurable value" in your eyes, being the only civilization in all of human history to step foot on the moon or a 0.01% increase in GDP?

Attached: HemingwayGun.jpg (600x480, 90K)

I remember when I was a kid I was really curious about how Pluto looked like cause there was never an actual real pic of it on my books. It's nice knowing now :3

Why do you think space exploration is not valuable?
What's bad about the Internet?

This

0.01% increase in GDP is an objective improvement over a cultural achievement in pure utilitarian terms.

Because it's a money pit that we know is incapable of actually going anywhere of use? We can't colonize other planets. We can't mine asteroids. It's just a sink for money better used on anything else.

>0.01% increase in GDP?
Space exploration pays for itself many times over so it isn't even a choice between it and economic growth.

>What's bad about the Internet?
>on Jow Forums
Meme culture is rotting our brains, even the Facebook normies who don't come here. The internet is raising a generation of imbeciles unfit to contribute to the real world.

Trump doesnt care about space exploration, he wants to militarily dominate space!

abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-directs-creation-space-force-sixth-branch-military/story?id=55978674

>in pure utilitarian terms
Go shove your utilitarianism up your ass. Great accomplishments in human history are not made by people in that mindset.
>We can't colonize other planets. We can't mine asteroids.
We absolutely can, and would within decades if it weren't for myopic "reasonable" cunts like yourself.
This is absolutely true, but try telling it to the millions of Americans retarded enough to be angry that muh taxpayer dollars are being spent on a rocket.

You're welcome

t. American taxpayer

Attached: pluto-guy.jpg (450x450, 45K)

Attached: elonmerit.jpg (638x364, 20K)

It's not hacking if they broadcast their admin credentials on CNN

why can't i find this tweet

Space shit is pretty expensive and isn't sustainable economically without tons of research into how to make it profitable. All that shit is best done by private sector companies like SpaceX.

>In Science We Trust, r-right reddit?

Mission to Eris when?

they dont have the aliens anymore

Probably not for a while ;_;

Reminder that Australian can into Space!
space.gov.au

>isn't sustainable economically
>Let's rely on the private sector to do it!

Attached: ONeel-JOHNGLENN.jpg (682x519, 170K)

Why would you leave space exploration to the private sector if it isn't profitable? This is the entire reason organizations like NASA exist.

>It was calculated that a flyby mission to Eris could take 24.66 years using a Jupiter gravity assist, based on launch dates of 3 April 2032 or 7 April 2044.

Attached: 1518854348154.jpg (633x758, 157K)

It's significantly cheaper than other governmental programs, like a tiny, tiny fraction of our military spending, and has produced tons of offshoot technologies in the past. Good things happen when you have programs like NASA that gather a lot of motivated researchers with flexible goals in one place.
Not every aspect of society has to have the sole aim of maximizing profits, and the fact that Americans have gotten stuck in that mindset is holding us back from a lot of our potential. The pyramids were not made to bring in more fourth quarter earnings, and the Temple of Zeus wasn't built as a tax write-off.

Attached: 32953111_1290413057760928_5383635364009213952_o.png (1200x727, 600K)

They're a government agency, they have a reputation to keep, and they can't just go around making empty promises, grossly breaking schedules and finally blowing up incomplete experimental rockets like some other entrepeneurs.

Ironically what he wants people to read from that is that he employs people of all genders and ethnicities because of their merits, but what he really means is that he mainly employs white males because no one else has the merits.

this desu. they're still working, they just don't have anything groundbreaking to show right this minute

bump

Didn't Trump cut fundings to NASA?