Mechanical engineer here, how badly will going to a shit tier school affect my future earning potential?

Mechanical engineer here, how badly will going to a shit tier school affect my future earning potential?

So I go to Ferris State which is an unholy abomination of a school. I've easily gotten all As because everyone is an inbred so now I can transfer to a much better school like Michigan Tech or Illinois or something, but is it worth going 100k into debt for cause I have a full scholarship where I go now? (Ferris)

Attached: IMG_6815.jpg (250x174, 13K)

It's not worth the debt. Just make sure you're learning the shit companies want you to know when you leave. Intern over the summer if possible.

Nah m9, go to an good skule is a meme. Employers (and I'm one) use qualification level as a pass/fail requirement to sift out the losers. If you make the first cut, it's all on experience, your application letter and the interview. I have never even looked at CVs of people who apply to my company; I get the company secretary to remove the dead wood, and the rest is up to how much they impress me. Being white is a good start.

How am I supposed to get a job outside of Michigan if I go to some hick farming school in the middle of the sticks?

Even if I get a 4.0 how could I compete against someone from UofM or Purdue which are world reknonwed powerhouses of engineering?

>reknonwed
Not gonna make it.

I don't go to school to learn English I learn math and shit

Going to a good school is nice. Having nice side projects are even nicer.

Having a good pedigree and nice side projects are even better tho...

I'm graduating in 2 weeks. It doesn't matter where you go as long as you have internship experience and/or have taken the FE exam.

Simple: you impress the recruiter. Btw I'm talking about survey not eng, but it's probably quite a similar recruiting process. I know everyone does things differently, but I have three areas I make sure I cover in the interview. First is subject knowledge: can the candidate carry on a sensible conversation about x (multi beam error sources, geodetic transformation, GNSS diff sources, whatever). As long as they can hold their own, have interest, and not listen to me talking whilst nodding and going "yeah", then points to them. Second is logic and problem solving: I give a hypothetical scenario and ask how they would solve it. Usually I give a schematic of a survey setup, and say "x fails- what do you do?" Again, they have to show they can isolate the problem, and work through the problem in a way that makes sense. Third, personality. Interviews aren't a new thing, I recognise a stock answer from when I used to be sitting in the candidate seat. I need to see something if the individual, not a parrot / interview answer machine.

None of those things have ANYTHING to do with the school you went to. Qualification (from any school) gets you in the door, the rest is up to you.

Attached: DAB69F43-368D-44F4-8496-E7AFBA47ADCA.jpg (3264x2448, 1.12M)

Unless you go to harvard / Mit, Yale, Cornell, Cambridge or Oxford uni is definitely not worth it. Having a bad school in cv is worse than having blank cv.

Attached: 1465180568556.jpg (750x899, 100K)

This my friends is what sour grapes looks like

I don't get it, are you a mechanical engineer or are you a student?

You realize you can't claim a career before you even start studying for it lol.

You need to have above a 3.0, preferrably 3.5 and impress a recruiter. Apply for internships if you can. Networking is really the key, and gpa is the minimum requirement companies use to cut people off. I graduated with ME friends that were physically kicked out of recruitment events because they had below a 3.0.

You better get your spelling right or potential employers are going to wonder what other deficiencies you have. Don't ever think that an engineering degree is a license to be one-dimensional.

I'm good at interviews I only got 4 internship interviews this spring but got 3 offers problem is just getting my foot in the door in the first place

What would be a dank side project to do this summer? Building like a go kart or something? My school has formula SAE I kinda want to join that

The belief of every engineer, desu

Formula SAE seems like a good extracurricular activity, the school I went to participated in that, although I was preoccupied with the mountain biking team at the time.
My advice would be to get very familiar with the nuts and bolts of manufacturing processes, and also develop passable knowledge of supply chain management, automation, and programming. Just join clubs related to your field and try to make as many friends in them as you can, those people will be the start of your professional network after you graduate.

grades dont mean shit, connections do.

You have to actually do projects on your own time and internships.

So you're telling me I'm going to be rejected so they can hire Chad just because he has lots of friends?

Attached: red_wojak.jpg (399x489, 20K)

Bigger Companies tend to recruit at the more prestigious schools, but smaller ones will go to others. You may not get the biggest salary, but your goal should be to get a job in the industry you want to work in then in a few years you can look elseware. After that, your school and gpa do not matter. Experience does. It is important to get internships or work on school projects. The sae car is one of tge best things you can do. Research is ok.

If you based your hiring criteria on spelling ability, you'd never hire a single engineer.

Attached: engineer-mugs-travel-cup-beer-engineer-cup-ceramic-coffee-mug-tea-cups-friend-gifts-home-decal.jpg (1000x1000, 68K)

>that image
Pure cringe. I hope you guys are not like this irl, jeebuz

>you guys
Well, I'm not an engineer but I haven't met a single engineer that can spell all that well.
That mug is really cuntish though I agree.

Attached: 41NCZuAA8HL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 17K)

I'm an enginer and I can spell well