What are the Maldives like?

What are the Maldives like?
I've never known anyone from there, nor anyone who's been.

Attached: 1920px-Malé.jpg (1920x983, 442K)

Went there as a kid, not the main island though.

There's nothing to do, just swim and relax.

So it's about what I'd expect. Are the people friendly?
Always been interested in it for some reason tbqh

>Are the people friendly?
If you have money.

I see, interesting. What were you there for, just tourism? Seems like kind of an odd place

Ive been there a few times.
Very nice and chill holiday place. Tremendous scuba diving. Usually one hotel per island.
>Are the people friendly?
Yeah, but if you're staying at a hotel most staff will be foreign

Yeah, just to swim.
It's just like Spain or Greece but without the poor people around.

I see. Have you been to the main island?

I see, kinda like the Caribbean to North Americans then.

>Have you been to the main island?
No. Just to the airport.
I did visit our butlers home island though which was close to our hotel. Poor place, trash everywhere but the people were nice.

I think we are richer than Maldives in total

You dont see the locals though in the Maldives unless they're working at the resort

Damn. I

Also they're gradually sinking into the ocean unfortunately

Yeah this is the same fate happening to a bunch of the South Pacific too. I've always wanted to study those smaller islands but it's a shame they won't be 'round long enough for it.

I have never been there, but they are developing quickly thanks to tourism and are the second most prosperous South Asian country after Sri Lanka. Most of the hotels are on areas far away from where the people mostly live. The language is very similar to Sinhalese. The main cultural difference from the Sinhalese is that they are nearly all Muslims, and they have a funny Arabic-derived alphabet instead of Brahmic abudigas.

Yeah, their writing system is closer to an abjad than an abugida as typically found in South Asia but it's still a nice script. Thanks for the info, though. Do lots of Indians go there for travel or is it mostly Euros/east Asians?

No, it's too damn expensive for us. Not a lot of people know much about the Maldives really, strangely enough, although they are our neighbours. They have a football team called New Radiant that plays in my city sometimes.

There were significantly more Chinese the last time I was there than the previous times. Pretty shitty tourists

...Why? Where are the Maldivians?

Aren't they hardcore Muslims as well? Like Saudi-tier, but since they rely on tourism so much it doesn't effect tourists?

On different islands. Usually only staff and guests live on the resort island
Yeah they're pretty Muslim. Doesnt affect the tourists though other than not being allowed to bring alcohol and Bibles into the cunt

Yeah, they're pretty unknown overall from what I can tell. Is the team good?

How easy is it to get from island to island? I'd imagine some of the workers have to go back to Malé occasionally

>How easy is it to get from island to island?
Locals go by boat. I mean it depends how far the islands are from eachother. They have more than one airport. For example when we landed in Male we had to take another local flight to go to another island and take a boat from there our resort. You can also go by seaplane.

*to our resort.

Fuck I want to go back there now

Attached: Whale-shark-and-diver.jpg (1927x1280, 792K)

Reminder that this 1000 island country is smaller than Singapore.

Yeah, so it's like Hawaii then, in some respects.

Damn, you ever swam with one of those?

Yes once. We were very lucky that day because they dont usually go near our atoll. The one we saw was a bit smaller than the one in the pic but it was still magnificient. Also dove with proper sharks but only once because you have to wake up really early to see them

Attached: Shark.jpg (630x400, 70K)

Attached: Manta.jpg (1920x1080, 354K)

Damn, I've never been diving even though I grew up near a ton of islands. Always scared me too much, cuz there's great whites out where I lived

>being trapped on a tiny island with nothing but commieblocks

looks like hell

Shame

How'd you get into it? I'd imagine there's not a lot of space for it in Switzerland

I got my first license there in the Maldives when I went for the first time as a kid.
Been diving there and other places on holidays since

LAS MALDIVAS SON ARGENTINAS

Damn, crazy. What's your favorite spot?

Mustique and the Maldives.
I want to go to Hawaii, Galapagos and Australia.

Kek

You're welcome in Hawaii, man. I recommend the Florida Keys, too. I used to spend time there in the summer.

Thanks. You're from there?

Nah, I'm from up north in Florida, near the Georgia line, but it's not a long drive once you're down there. You can fly into Miami and drive or take a boat into the Keys in a few hours, it's nothing.

Where I'm from there's not much diving, sadly. Nothing remarkable under the water.

Keys are real nice, though.

Attached: 42c5a75d0c393f8775426de1a2685625d53d93feebcf92d25b8bf9245e7e2194.jpg (4288x2848, 1.83M)

Cool

Aye, check it out if you're ever around there

Sure

It is Muslim country so I feel at peace with my brothers.

>leaf