I'm curious about the official language of EU

Will it still be English after UK withdrawal?

If EU is politically integrated, what is the official language?

Attached: 123123.jpg (275x183, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ec.europa.eu/education/official-languages-eu_en
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We’re all one language, the European language

English and French, German will probably be added as well eventually

Greek

There are 24 official languages in the EU, 3 of which are considered extra-official 'procedural languages' (English, French, and German)

It's unlikely that the EU will stop using English. English is relatively easy for most Europeans to learn and, due to its mutt heritage, kind of represents a neutral middle ground among all the ethno-linguistic cultures of Europe.

Also, burgers have money.

English is a Germanic language, so technically Britain shouldn't be allowed to use it anymore once they leave. They're free to replace it with American I suppose.

It is and will remain English, even though with the withdrawal of the UK English won't even be an official EU language (Ireland joined as an Irish speaking country because it joined at the same time as the UK anyway). Robbed of their "we speak English because the UK is a member state so there, fuck you Amerikkka fuck you Drumpf!" excuse, it will become painfully aware just to what extent Europe is an extension of America in denial.

Macron is making a rather valliant effort to impose French on the EU, but it's doomed to fail. For him to succeed this would require a collective interest of the EU countries to create a formalized European (super)culture that is separate from the milquetoast diet-American global culture enforced through America's unmatched, unprecedented and unbelievable soft power (regardless of meme indeces that put France in first place in 2018 [Muh Republique En Marche], Germany in 2015 [Muh humanitarian superpower] or the UK in 2012 [Muh London Olympics]). This cannot happen because the political will to create a superculture is not existent in a union based entirely around the destruction of national identities.

Attached: 1457232538753.png (680x1031, 728K)

ireland is now the largest english speaking EU nation

Attached: most-spoken[1].jpg (650x607, 175K)

>English is relatively easy for most Europeans
Not for europeans who speak latin and slave languages

Good post

Arabic. You fucking heard me, it would be Arabic.

English is 56% french so not that hard.

In Northern Europe (I'll consider the Netherlands Northern for the sake of this post) it has less to do with English being easy and more to do with the media being infected with American media to the point where American content surpasses native content. The south tends to dub that content most of the time (as do the Germans actually), while France and the UK are the only ones producing content in significant numbers themselves (and guess what? In both instances it's state funded 'cultural exception' stuff that's SHIT 90% of the time).

English because it is the most convenient and people should just stop whining about it. Britain joined later than France and Germany yet English was chosen anyway, so it is not a political but rather practical choice.

When something truely matters the EU members get it translated in their language and that version will be the one applicable to them. So the language of the EU is translation. For irrelevant things it's English and sometimes French.

>muh American media
Maybe English being a core subject even at elementary school helps a bit too

Greek or Mandarin

I guess it helps, but English education is pretty shit. Language education is shit in general. That's why high schoolers learn nothing they didn't already know in English class while learning nothing period in French and German. I'd say America's soft power is a bigger factor than our lacking language education.

yes, but every single one of those languages wants to be the new lingua franca, but none of them can gain dominance, so english will defacto still be a major language

Attached: second-most-spoken[1].jpg (650x607, 189K)

>England
>English
Oh no no no no no

It's by far the easiest language in Europe. It's far, far easier for us to learn English than it is for a Bong to learn any Slavic one.
There's really no better choice for a common tongue.

>spain
>spanish

>belgum
>french

English has aggressively simplified away all the complicated parts of Indo-European languages (like case systems and grammatical gender) and loaded itself with loan words from tons of other languages, the majority of which come from Fr*nch.

Really the only complicated part of learning English is vocabulary and spelling, and you can take a very a la carte approach to learning those.

>Spain
>Real

Attached: zglgudx47jpz[1].jpg (1036x729, 79K)

new map
>germany

Attached: map-showing-the-second-most-spoken-languages-in-europe-by-nation-state-revealing-historic-regions-of (1152x672, 133K)

How delightfully tolerant!

I don't see why not, English isn't spoken because of the UK, it's spoken because of America

If you cared for the sustainability of the EU you'd realize that's precisely the problem.

>Native English speaking
>EU benefits
>Fastest growing economy in Europe
>Tax Haven
>Sudden rise in third level educated young population
>Closer to USA than the UK is

There'll be harps on every corner I say! We will take over the world!

Attached: feelsgoodra.jpg (600x600, 106K)

English will be the easiest.

Actually germany is the leader of europe, but i can't imagine germany, which is strongly promoting German as a common language.

But can the EU countries maintain their own culture like language?

I don't think so.
Eventually the economic, political and cultural integration will be achieved in Europe, and there will be tremendous resistance. In the United States, even civil war occurred.

But Europeans will not be able to give up integration.
Because Europe has to become "The New United States" in order to fight against the US or China.

Learning English is definitely easy for romance speakers. More than half of English vocabulary comes from Old French and Latin.

L'Empereur will bring back French.

Attached: iwqdrf1ploq6ijvwmblv.jpg (1200x934, 84K)

Let 's move the EU capital to Dublin to press britain!

I like the way you think, lad. Maybe you kpop twinks aren't so bad after all.

Attached: goodfriday.jpg (1067x1200, 136K)

It's easier for a latin speaker to learn english than the contrary.

>Actually germany is the leader of europe
Still on a blue pill diet, huh?

That's outdated. Sweden should be marked as Swedish.

Cringe
Based

Actually, a lot of the EU related organisation and agencies use French has their main language.

English will remain an official language but we might see French getting more used as a working language from now on, since 5/6 European Institutions are located in francophone cities, so most staff already speaks French anyway.

Because of Ireland English will still be an official language, alongside the other 23 official languages of the EU.
>
ec.europa.eu/education/official-languages-eu_en

à bas l'anglais

More flemish in the country, so they learn french to cooperate with the walloonians.

V I V E

Attached: 1529605281507.jpg (2000x1333, 551K)

>Britain joins
>English is now an official language, nerds
>Leaves
The devil has sowed his seeds

Yes. We don't use English because of the UK, we never did.

Malta's official language is English and it is still a member.

The 3 capitals of the EU are French speaking cities, but the official language of the EU is English.

Also, Everything East of Switzerland should be expelled. Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia and so on don't have their place in the EU.

It's easy af, I never put any real effort into it.
t. speaker of belto-slave language

How many euros here have native fluency with english? I'm curious

UK, Ireland and Malta because Malta is a former British colony.

Lel

>bonjour, кaк geht your dag, μου amigo

>Will it still be English after UK withdrawal?
Yes, because otherwise it could only end up with France or Germany throwing all of the toys out of the pram when their language wasn't chosen as the official one.

They will stick with English because it's the lingua franca and therefore a neutral choice that everyone can agree with.

Can't say what it will be, but what it should be is Esperanto

Interlingua*

L'UE n'a aucune langue officielle, au plus il y a les trois langues du travail

Chinese

Attached: gdp.jpg (1302x682, 153K)

Brussells speaks French about as much as English.

Nobody wants to learn that shit

>move the EU capital to Dublin
Please don't punish the EU so harshly.

>his country doesn't have a unique second language

ROSES ARE RED
PROVOS WEAR GREEN
IRELAND WILL NEVER
BE AT PEACE UNTIL
THE 32 COUNTIES ARE UNITED AND FREE
to: Mick O'Connel from: David Fernández

>His country didn't spawn his own language.
Laughing at you southern Galicians desu.

Mojosa

You don't want to learn one of the few languages that actually makes sense?

LA

Attached: cdg.jpg (600x354, 65K)

German already is a working language of the EU...

EMPEREUR

Attached: 1191516517616.jpg (427x510, 91K)

Dem bants doe.

I think Spanish is easier