Families earning $117,000 now qualify as "low income" in California's Bay Area

>Families earning $117,000 now qualify as "low income" in California's Bay Area

>be murican
>be rich but also be poor

Attached: 1527977782545.png (576x566, 297K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_household_final_consumption_expenditure_per_capita
timeshighereducation.com/news/social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-close-japan-after-ministerial-intervention
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they aren't rich when rent is $30k/yr for a single bedroom and income taxes are about a third of their income, plus likely student loan payments

overall California's tax system is setup to incentivize home ownership, non home owners get fucked. All the smart money moved out to the central valley for this reason.

100k USD in America is considered Middle class though, 300-400k is upper middle class, maybe 700k-1 mil/ year is rich

>implying it's any different in every other global city

$250k/yr is considered rich because that puts you in the upper IRS brackets. Also since the FDIC only insures deposits up to $250k per account, people with more than $250k cash have to shop around different banks, buy CDs or buy stock if they want to safely lock their money.

>be liberal in liberal area
>move to conservative area because its too expensive
>"hmmmm this government needs more liberals"
>place gets expensive again

having lived in a few, yes, it's very different in most..

Yes it is any different if you earn 117K in Paris, London or Amsterdam (if you consider it a world city) you can live super fucking comfortable.

A household earning around 85k euros a year is relatively well off in Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt or Vienna.

The definition of "middle class" has morphed here because anyone that isn't rich is defined as middle class. I've never heard of anyone refer to a lower class in America

huh. TIL. the super expensive cities must all be in asia then

They're not. 117K is INSANE money anywhere on this planet. Asian megacities also house 20 million + people. Less than 1 million of those make anywhere near that amount of money.

no, lived in tokyo, shanghai and berlin

hong kong(and MAYBE singapore) are probably the only other places where you can be poor on a 6figure USD income

117K is combined family income, not individual earner. split into two partners it's not so high

CA is expensive because in 1978 conservatives capped property taxes at 1% the year homeowners buy their house, which means homeowners don't have a reason to sell or rent. And through a few loopholes, it's possible to lock in the original 1978 rate to your children indefinitely.

This is a conservative's wet dream and it's largely what draws the constant inflows into California. For many people it's impossible to be poor here, if they buy a house on the fringes.

>split into two partners it's not so high
Median incomes before taxes in western-Europe are between 35-45K. Now imagine if a man earns above median and the woman earns about median wage (very likely scenario) they make maybe 90K pre-tax. That would make their family among the top 30% richest in the country.

Is this the infamous proposition 13?

yes, it's how my parents are able to pay $4,000/yr taxes on a $2.3 million house

100 is upper-middle and 300 is rich, I'm talking about normal places and not bumfuck hick towns or absurdly expensive nonsense like OP

>117K is combined family income, not individual earner. split into two partners it's not so high
58k is still fucking ridiculous for a single person. I mean, that's almost $5000 a month. The last time I checked the US median HOUSEHOLD income wasn't even 58k.

You shouldnt have to pay any taxes for a house you bought

Be happy you belong to the owning class. Man reading this California seems to have become a feudal society.
Anyway housing is a problem all over the world. Over here the banks are super eager to hand out 1% mortgages to any boomer that promises them to buy and renovate appartments and rent them to expats. They literally have to show the bank they own maybe 50K and then can get a 1 million loan.

Ultimately it's a thing almost everywhere however because for municipalities property taxes are the most reliable income possible.

>buy 10 houses
>sit on them forever
>"WHAT U MEAN I GOTTA PAY SOME TAXES FOR RUINING THE HOUSING MARKET????"

just move to the US lol. get paid triple for the services you easily provide back at home. it's not like americans are any more talented than europeans when it comes to tech

Ok let me correct that
You should not have to pay taxes for a house you bought and live in

>58k is still fucking ridiculous for a single person
Nani?
I was getting 48k pre tax as a fucking mechanic, working shift though.
But still I was only getting like 2.3-2.5k after tax, that's literally nothing.

I even quit that job cause it was not enough imo.

>2.3-2.5k after tax
per month obviously

Nah. Firstly I'd probably reduce my life quality instead of improving it, not by financial gain perhaps (even though the stats LITERALLY say that half the households in the US earn less than 60k at which point I might as well stay home), but by security and by reliance on the public should something ever go wrong, which I think is a value in itself. Secondly the US immigration laws are fucking retarded and I'm not sure my apprenticeship degree would even be recognized despite providing better education than any American form of education in the same field.

it's really fucking hard to get a yank visa as a skilled first worlder

meanwhile pablo jumps the fence and gets permanent residency

I can agree on that. But the problem is that some people own a bunch of houses over here. It's like a hobby for those near retirement age to stockpile houses.

Where, in fucking Munich or something? Entry wage for mechanics is probably half as much around here.

In der Pfalz.

>earn a capital city wage in a cheap part of the country

It's the key to success in this generation, have my own property, a good life, and so much leftover at the end of the month I don't know what to do with it

Attached: 1515523634663.png (1655x931, 1005K)

That's your opinion. Fact is that in the Netherlands people earn about 38K (including bonuses) pre-tax and in Germany it's a little less.
However there are all sorts of mechanics in place that make the effective incomes of people that earn below-median a bit higher like rent assist, healthcare refunds, etc.

Back on KC every German claimed to make between 50 and 70k. Some guy once calculated it in some thread and it turned out we were dealing with the top 10% earners of Germany

And who exactly pays you a capital city wage in Wales, and why would they do that?

He probably works remote

>Back on KC every German claimed to make between 50 and 70k. Some guy once calculated it in some thread and it turned out we were dealing with the top 10% earners of Germany
Ah yes, it's not like anyone ever lies on the internet.

north west england, and just get a compsci degree bro

That was my point.

>be french
>don't even make enough money to pay income tax
>move to paris
>make twice as much money
>everything is 2.5 times more expensive
>pay more tax
>end up poorer

something has to pay for the fire department in case the house starts burning down (this is a big problem because nobody trims their fucking trees so houses are surrounded by piles of kindling)

It's only feudal if people want it to be. Anyone can buy a home in a shitty place like Madera or Redding then just sit on it until they're rich.

Consider that 50 years ago FB's headquarters was literally a landfill bordered by a freight spur and a homeless shelter, the entire area was a nigger/spic containment zone full of prostitution white people wanted nothing to do with, and right across the freeway was Whiskey Gulch. Most of those homes were maybe $200k when I was born, now each is over a million because FB executives want to live near work.

It's a lifestyle matter, everyone with brains moves out to the fringe where there are loads of cheap houses. Only idiots rent.

>That's your opinion.
Dunno, I don't really count those immigrants and idiots that let themselves being abused by temporary employment agencies, working fulltime for 1000yurops.

>le average americans are rich meme.

this is the median take home pay.

Attached: 8f415b5ee9f994df6b8f1d8d04902887.png (801x377, 37K)

What article is that table from?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income

Unless you are legitimately wealthy and can afford to buy a median home with cash, it's utterly retarded to live in the Bay Area, ESPECIALLY within the actual city of San Francisco. The main exception is if you are so poor that you are living off of state assistance, have subsidized housing, etc. But for non-wealthy rentcucks, it's basically a wealth-shredding disaster of a city.

Attached: Silicon Valley.jpg (1328x1029, 222K)

It is PPP. Germany just has very low price levels, the lowest in Europe.
You'd be surprised to find out how little the average joe really earns. I too always thought things like 80K were achievable if you just worked hard, but they're not.

Now factor in cost of living in those cunts versus the US.

>mfw San Jose has become the economic center of the region while niggers exiled from Oakland and SF turned into an open air retirement club

Attached: le happy janitor.png (680x850, 135K)

You know what PPP means, right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_household_final_consumption_expenditure_per_capita

You'll also notice that 'poor' people tend to be horrible with money. They drink, smoke, have cars and iPhones but whine about not being able to feed muh chilruns. Maybe in America having a car is justified because public transportation is SHIT, but smoking and an expensive phone?

>they aren't rich when rent is $30k/yr for a single bedroom
Because the demand for houses is sky high but the supply isn't adjusted due to the government -deliberately or through incompetence- mismanaging building permits.
>and income taxes are about a third of their income
An economy destroying measure used to bribe poor and dumb people who don't know they're voting themselves out of a job.
>plus likely student loan payments
That's what you get when the culture not only pushes the idea that everyone needs to go to university or else they're fucking losers who never get a job AND universities offer dumb meme studies with no job opportunities like womyn's studies. Even serious studies like law and psychology are oversaturated to the point where there are more students than available beginner jobs, yet universities aren't allowed to restrict access to these studies based on lottery or grades.

Seriously, you can either study Vietnamese Basketweaving and become a barrista at Starbucks, or just get vocational training as an underwater welder and get a $300k annual salary (which would allow you that $30k rent/year and still have enough money to spare without seeing a single college hall from the inside in your life).

But hey, that's what happens when you let lefties run the place.

Attached: 1421105791866.png (600x451, 200K)

>there are more students than available beginner jobs, yet universities aren't allowed to restrict access to these studies based on lottery or grades.
So? They first put them on welfare then after a few months they are forced to get a different job. In the end it will balance out. They will become secretaries or something dumb.

Upps I made a mistake, it was 44828,55€
I thought it was 48k.

upps

>or just get vocational training as an underwater welder and get a $300k annual salary

underwater welders get $300k because it's a really, REALLY fucking dangerous job mate

all your countries must be poor as fuck, me and my gf each make over 100k per year individually, our family income is 200k something
and we are just average earners in australia

but you also get completely free training if you enlist as an underwater welder for the navy

same can be said of aircraft pilots, train operators, and demolitions experts

>chill my life for a few months
>get unemployment benefits 1360€
>mfw I get more than some people here earn with their job
Thank you for paying for my new PC.

Attached: 1516457642173.jpg (1280x960, 265K)

>They first put them on welfare
Which costs money.
>then after a few months they are forced to get a different job
Or... get this... they could study something for which there's actual demand on the job market and fill these roles after university. They could either study art history and end up stocking shelves in Walmart, or they could do engineering and become the engineers the country needs. Or like I said, something like vocational training for underwater welding. You know, shit for which there's an actual demand?

This is doubly a problem if university education is -partially or fully- financed by the state (through either state universities, grants or even interest-free loans). This means these morons are wasting public funds they'll never return to the society.

Universities can and should have the ability to reject applicants above a certain number and say "nah, just try a different study". Like we do for medicine here in the Netherlands, but across the board for all oversaturated studies. Combine this with what the Japanese did: purging meme studies.
timeshighereducation.com/news/social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-close-japan-after-ministerial-intervention
But this won't happen in America for the same reason why the American left flipped their shti at Japan: the left thrives and prospers due to dumb teenagers picking these de facto indoctrination classes over meaningful studies or vocational training.

>and we are just average earners in australia
"No."

Also enjoy your 2m average house.

NAH, REALLY?
Gee, it's almost as if almost all well paid jobs are very demanding work that not a lot of people want to do. Is that also why brain surgeons get paid more than pediatricians? Or why ice truckers get almost triple the pay of ordinary truckers?

It's almost as if harder, more demanding or more risky labor is compensated better or something! What a shame we can't all be overpaid civil servants!

>Maybe in America having a car is justified because public transportation is SHIT
Any big countries make it so you NEED a car.
France isn't even that big and you can't live without one in most of the country.

housing in australia is cheap as fuck outside of cities, and cities are cancer anyway. they have a ton of room and only 3 people live there

I looked it up, the average full time wage is 85k per year so we are very slightly above average but the amount of people on minimum wage would bring that way down

Attached: AWE-Nov-2017.jpg (1226x426, 60K)

>it's almost as if almost all well paid jobs are very demanding work that not a lot of people want to do

Is that why there's a queue 300 miles long of investment bank applicants? Or coders who code for 2 hours a day and get $150k for the privilege?

Most people on 6 figures sit in an office all day mate, saying "yeah just risk your life bro" doesn't fix anything

I take it you are halfway your training of becoming an underwater welder?

hey don't knock blue collar workers, they are the salt of the earth

I’m talking to some internet right winger who’s telling avocado eaters to get ‘a real job’ while most likely he himself is a coder or whatever

sure but other people are earning hundreds of millions. you want to find the median pay after tax. that removes all the broke people and millionaires out of it

>Most people on 6 figures sit in an office all day mate
And they probably sleep in the office too, my boss is always in his office, i'm not sure he actually goes home at night. I'd rather be poor desu

You can go from rich to homeless pretty much instantly in America.

Attached: 1466998729306.png (650x866, 762K)

so i need to become an investment banker. brb switzerland

>What a shame we can't all be overpaid civil servants!
Well, I guess we'll all just become underwater welders then! Thank Golly!

you can if you enlist in the US Navy

graduate from an ivy league yank university, use connections to get in to top bank, toil away for 10 years, get promotions

Then get sent to switzerland or singapore on a PHAT expat package of like $250,000 take home pay, private schooling for your kids, a maid allowance, penthouse allowance etc etc

Bet it's a sick life

France has a great railway network and cities like Paris have an extensive public transportation system. A car is more convenient, sure, but you can still live in a shitty banlieue without a car and use the RER to get to work. If you're poor, you cut down on all luxuries you don't strictly need. That's how you don't end up going full "sumbody gots to take care of muh chilruns".

>Is that why there's a queue 300 miles long of investment bank applicants? Or coders who code for 2 hours a day and get $150k for the privilege?
Are these jobs that require a very highly in demand skillset that not a lot of people can offer? Coders get such massive pays because there's not all that many of them to go around. Why else do you think every Western government under the sun wants to get more programmers? Demand for IT experts is insane and the supply very slowly growing. A shortage that could be solved by cutting the humanities and encouraging more IT studies. Like I said, a study that lands you a job that pays well and there's not all that much competition for (compared to more oversaturated fields).

It's just one of many examples. The point is that higher education institutions should pre-select in order to prevent wasting money on what will effectively become an overeducated yet unemployable bottom class. Underwater welder was just the most prominent example that came to mind.

Why aren’t you one already?!! Stop studying gender science!!

>just become gay bro

Reading your posts really makes me wonder what your occupation is. This reads like something my IT consultant uncle nobody liked would say at a birthday

>This reads like something my IT consultant uncle nobody liked would say at a birthday
Probably because he has an actual job because he chose to acquire a skillset that's in high demand. Maybe that's why you don't like him.

Attached: 1c9[1].png (960x960, 435K)

He’s full of shit even in le bike and public transit heaven the majority needs a car to get to work. For some people this means their daily commute is cut in half even if you include traffic jams

Majority of the family including his wife earns more than him. He’s just an annoying fuck repeating his FvD/VVD nonsense at every opportunity

I agree with you, but we weren't even arguing about this

Telling people to "just become an underwater welder or ice trucker" bro, in response to an argument against the increasing cost of living and stagnating wages isn't an argument

coding is going to become the new law soon. there are so many people studying it that the supply will outweigh the demand as far as top jobs go. especially because its something every country can do equally. literally 1bn indian/chinese are studying it as we speak

God bless

you get paid for it though

Well, of course America has a big problem in that regard (a Princeton study even declared that America is de facto a plutocracy rather than a merit based repubic at this point), but a lot of the poor have more of a say in their lot than they believe.

>coding is going to become the new law soon
Yeah, I agree entirely. Probably because now suddenly a lot of people want to become like the 'pioneers' of the field who ended up becoming as filthy rich as they've become. This is why I believe (especially state funded) higher education institutions should have the ability to reject/select applicants for studies where oversaturation is becoming a threat.

They deserve it for being in California.

>France has a great railway network
And this is how I know you have never lived in France. The SCNF is literally the worst company every. I have not taken a train since I turned 18 because I immediately took my driver's licence test since trains are always late or canceled because of the permanent strikes and general state of the french rail company.
>cities like Paris
News for you: french people don't live in Paris, only africans do. In 99% of the country public transportation is awful.

will macron beat them or will it go the way of 1968?

Here i make 2200e basic salary/month +200-400e taxfree bonuses so net is about 1900-2200e/month. Rent is for our 1bedroom flat 800e and i share it with my gf. Electric bill is ~20e/month

Lmao to your shitholes. You guys need the revolution

>58k is still fucking ridiculous for a single person
Do europoors seriously believe this?

average american citizen makes like 25k a year
average person working in america makes like 15k a year

This is in capital region of finland. The most expensive area here

What is so great about this? Most urban people in their 20s live like that over here.

part time job I guess

Holland and centeral yurop is as good as nords. My post was for other cunts, like paris and california

My ex gf was from Marin County and i was used to be there thrice at year.

It sucks. They're all arrogant and snotty.

And cokeheads and ''muh cali wine best wine''

>Princeton study

Attached: trash.jpg (778x1018, 394K)