Why is your country's capital, the capital?

Here in Mexico, I guess, Mexico City is the capital cause it was built over Tenochtitlan which was the Aztec Empire's capital city and the largest settlement in the region at the time.

I think there were plans to actually move the capital when we achieved independence but they never came to fruition.

Attached: 1729424068634.jpg (604x453, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/17/world/americas/mexico-city-sinking.html?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_York
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Russians wanted change it from Turku to Helsinki to cut Finnish ties to Sweden and strengthen them to Ryssä. Huge waste of money which came out of the pockets of Finns.

Because the port of buenos aires made that city rich and ended up dominating the rest

Southern and Northern colonies couldn’t agree on where the capital should go so they put it on the border of the regions.

Isn't Helsinki located in one of the Swedish speaking areas? Or at least it used to be Swedish speaking

Its not your capital getting sinking because was building over a swamp?

>swamp
no, drained lake

Near the end of it. What about it?

the original capital (a smaller city called Kingston) shared a maritime border with the states, so during the war of 1812 the government didn't want the u.s to able to just pull into port and capture the capital. so they changed the capital to Ottawa, which was further inland.

Attached: 800px-OttawaCollage.png (800x1181, 1.76M)

Oh sorry my bad , so somebody think about a solution for that?

We chose our first capital because it was the capital of the kakchiqiel people, who we betrayed after convincing them to attack all the surrounding tribes. Then after the capital got destroyed a couple of times (earthquake, volcano mudslide, the usual) we decided living between several volcanoes is too dangerous, so we moved 30km east. Therefore Guatemala city.

Attached: IMG-20161029-WA0010.jpg (1280x960, 79K)

Yes, it also has serious water shortages. Interesting (and long) article about it.

nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/17/world/americas/mexico-city-sinking.html?

Attached: mexico_city_1.jpg (2048x1365, 680K)

I thought it was founded because bywater was equidistant between quebec and toronto?

After America reached the Pacific were there ever any plans to relocate the capital to a more central location?
Just thought it would be ironic they moved the capital to a Swedish speaking area while trying to curtail Swedish influence.

George V thought it was easier to administrate from the center of Northern India rather than from the city of Calcutta

Thanks i gonna check

But isn't that a volcano in your pic? What was the old capital's name?

What was the British Raj like for Indians?

Building your capital on top of the ruins of an enemy capital is based and redpilled.

It was further from Stockholm and closer to the capital in St. Petersburg. I guess Suomenlinna had meaning too since it was important for the defence of SPB for the ryssäs.

because it's in the middle

security was the primary reason for the move. the states are like a 25-30 boat ride from the original seat of power lol.

the distance thing is a perk that certainly would have been taken into consideration, as the capital would definitely be in the Province of Ontario, for instance the original capital, Kingston is directly in between Toronto & Ottawa

Grand Duchy of Moscow conquered all other Russian principalities

So your first capital was Kolkata? Interesting, since it's all the way to Bengal
They destroyed all the pre-Hispanic buildings

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre
This happened, so not that good

I've read that Toledo was supposed to be the capital or something

That was where the English originally had territory or something

Sometimes wondered how it would have been if Novgorod had done the trick instead.

The story i always heard was that both Sydney and Melbourne thought they should be the capital so they carved out a territory inbetween them and built the capital there.

london is absolute shiteville

>came from the pockets of Finns
Nigga what

There were several names! I glossed over a few details. The first was called Iximche by the kakchiquel. We called it Santiago de los Caballeros de Guatemala. After a rebellion, it was moved to what is now Ciudad Vieja, nestled between 2 volcanoes. Funnily enough, it was the dormant volcano that destroyed it as the crater filled with water and caused a mudslide. That city is now called Ciudad Vieja. So we moved a few more kilometers, though still calling the city the same name. Then 200 years later there was a massive earthquake, so the whole "live in the foothills of the volcanoes" lost favour, so we moved to the present capital in an adjacent valley. The old capital is now called Antigua Guatemala, and the new city, which dropped the Santiago, and is just Guatemala City. This all happened in the same 50 square kilometres or so, so the volcanoes are just a short drive away and prominent in the skyline.

Attached: IMG-20161108-WA0013.jpg (1280x960, 82K)

Finns paid that shit, fucktard.

I've heard that nobody really likes Canberra cause it's pretty boring and in the middle of nowhere.
So the capital is still like in danger in case of a volcanic eruption?

It was the visigoth capital, madrid was a reconquered fort so it was safer. I think, I might be wrong

Because France = Paris and his conquered territories.

It was built to celebrate our win against the Ottomans plus a larger, more strategically placed capital city was needed.

Attached: Valletta-View.jpg (800x392, 130K)

>I've heard that nobody really likes Canberra cause it's pretty boring and in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, i think it looks like a pretty nice place to live but it's not a happening city by any stretch.

What was the old capital?

It would have to be a pretty big eruption, but yeah kinda? Earthquakes would be a bigger problem honestly.

Mdina.

Attached: o-MDINA-MALTA-facebook.jpg (2000x1000, 558K)

>Why is your country's capital, the capital?
it was the first fort to hold, after even Buenos Aires got ransacked by native american factions

Attached: images.png (596x416, 421K)

Warsaw is the capital because the Swedish king of Poland moved the capital there from Kraków because he wanted to be closer to Sweden, also Warsaw was in the middle between Kraków and Vilnius, two main Polish cities

Attached: 220px-Sigismund_III_of_Poland-Lithuania_and_Sweden_(Martin_Kober).jpg (220x295, 21K)

The royal family has lived several different places but eventually stopped moving so that was the capital. I guess Copenhagen was also somewhat central back then.

But I forgot to mention that while Mdina was the capital, the Order of st.John were operating from Birgu.

>mfw Xalapa cucked Veracruz from being Veracruz's capital

Attached: 4e3013679c13dcd826877e0672f9133d.jpg (681x766, 420K)

it started out as a little viking village, which turned into a harbour. it's located between the 2 cathedrals in lund (important city) and roskilde (our former capital) so it was attractive to settle there and the town started to grow fast when archbishop absalon and the church decided to build a castle there. in 1419 a king took control of the city and in 1443 another king made it the kings residence. eventually it became the most important city in denmark and roskilde lost the title

>No new posts
How come Vilnius was Polish-majority?
Why did Denmark lose Scania?

I've read that it was also easy to control all the maritime traffic from the Baltic Sea through Copenhagen

I think we lost it in chunks in consecutive wars with Sweden in the 1600s

Because WE WUZ

Was there ever any opposition to Rome being the capital?

How did you do it

Ancient-boos made it capital in the 19th century. That's the sole reason, really. Athens is a badly placed shithole.

Were there any other candidates?

Seoul = Peninsular center + Riverside + Western coast near China

I don’t think that’s true. Finland was autonomous and collected its own taxes

Salonica and Constantinople lmao

No, the cost of moving the administrations would've been too great

It was easier back at the founding of the nation because the Government was smaller and didn't have nearly the same amount of bureaucratic bloat as it does now

First capital was Nauplion. When it was about to change to Athens, I think that Corinth was the main other candidate.

Attached: Greece1830EN.png (1024x1024, 254K)

I think the US capital or largest city is likely to move to California in the future.

A combination of reasons:
>Controls trade into and out of the important lake Mälaren region.
>Central position within the Swedish realm.
>Baltic sea port allowed good communications with most of the kingdom, foreign trade and the ability to respond quickly to military situations around the Baltic sea.

We decided that Rio de Janeiro was too far away from the rest of the country, so we decided to build Brasilia, the new capital from scrap in the center of the map

>Why did Denmark lose Scania?
Because they were backstabbing cunts who were better at starting fights than finishing them.

Uusimaa isn't a "swedish speaking area". The king could barely get anyone to move to Turku, anything east of that was asking too much. Österland was basically a fucking stone age wasteland that only nobodies and fuckups were sent to.

I think Dokdo is Japanese

Why would it
It would've been cool if they had retained Constantinople

Typical Swedish revisionist lies. Finland was the richest and most highly developed area in the world until Swedish colonisation killed off most of the population and sucked out all the wealth.

cause of carthage

Cause the economic hub is increasingly changing from Europe to Asia.

Are you easterner? Anyway, I see american who knows Dokdo for the first time.

Brasilia still seems kinda southern but I guess you can't really build in the middle of the Amazon
Story?
Well, I thought it was
>The king barely get anyone to move to Turku
Did Sweden actually try to actively settle and replace the population with Swedes? I thought they just controlled it

Attached: swedish_speaking_finnland.png (800x1392, 279K)

Wasn't Carthage destroyed?

Throughout the 15th century, Sweden, Denmark and Norway were in a mutually beneficial union, entered into voluntarily and maintained by all three countries continuing to elect the same monarch. However, around the start of the 16th century, the Danes had started trying to seize control of the union and make Sweden and Norway mere vassals. This did not go over well in Sweden, so when the time came to elect the new monarch, the Swedes refused to elect the union king as king of Sweden. The Danish king then invaded Sweden in order to seize the Swedish throne by force.

The Swedish forces were pushed back and the Danes were able to lay siege to Stockholm. At this point, the Swedish nobles were willing to negotiate and struck a deal that allowed the Danish king to be elected king of Sweden in return for a number of concessions. Of course, the peace treaty also stipulated that none of the Swedish nobles would be punished for having fought against the Danish king prior to his ascension to the Swedish throne.

The matter being settled, the cream of the Swedish nobility was invited to a coronation feast in Stockholm, where they feasted for three days until Danish soldiers closed the gates to the castle and arrested all the nobles and a number of clergymen present. The Danish king had gone back on his word and had a hundred or so of them executed in the town square in what came to be known as the Stockholm bloodbath.

The Danish king, Christian the Tyrant, had believed that such a massacre would forever quell the troublesome Swedes, but instead the Swedes rose up in response to the treachery and cast the Danes out.

The Danish treachery triggered centuries of bitter wars of vengeance between two peoples who had mostly been at peace before. During the course of these wars, Denmark lost most of its territory and was reduced to a pale shadow of its former splendor.

Did Denmark ever control anything beyond Scania?

I am not an Easterner

The neighboring regions of Halland and Blekinge. They also had some oversea holdings around the Baltic sea that we wrested from them, and of course Norway.

Attached: Damark_med_skaanelandene_1600-talle[1].png (1024x768, 69K)

How did the three countries end up in an union? Was it like an UK-style union?

Why didn't you call it Carthage instead of Tunis?

This

That’s really all there is for Bogota being the capital?

It was a compromise between Northern and Southern states

Womp Womp

The south got pissy

Isn’t it technically located in ththe South, though? I thought Maryland was “technically” the South

Exactly. They got pissy that New York and Philadelphia were the capital and thus “too far north” and wanted it IN THE SOUTH or they’d threaten separation. Know everything south of Pennsylvania is technically “the south”

what is that maroon color on top

probably sami language

i've always wondered what the relationship between sami and finns are since both of you are finnic groups. is it better that between samis and swedes/norwegians?

>so during the war of 1812 the government didn't want the u.s to able to just pull into port and capture the capital
>

Lel""""canadian education""""

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_York
>The Battle of York was fought on April 27, 1813, in York (present-day Toronto), the capital of the colonial province of Upper Canada (present-day Ontario), during the Anglo-American War of 1812.
>Although York was the Provincial capital of Upper Canada, it was far less important than Kingston as a military objective.
>Between April 28 and 30, American troops carried out many acts of plunder. Some of them set fire to the buildings of the Legislative Assembly. It was alleged that the American troops had found a scalp there,[21] though folklore had it that the "scalp" was actually the Speaker's wig. The Parliamentary mace of Upper Canada was taken back to Washington and was only returned in 1934 as a goodwill gesture by President Franklin Roosevelt.[22] The Printing Office, used for publishing official documents as well as newspapers, was vandalized and the printing press was smashed. Other Americans looted empty houses on the pretext that their absent owners were militia who had not given their parole as required by the articles of capitulation. The homes of Canadians connected with the Natives, including that of James Givins, were also looted regardless of their owners' status.[23]

New South Wales was the real winner here as the ACT is surrounded by it.
They should have done it in the middle of the border.

Or turn some inconveniently far out island into the capital.

It is the capital because it was capital under new spain.

How does NSW benefit from surrounding the capital?

Lololol based

Not really, the sami are few and they mingle with other samis like from norway and swedish lappland, their language is totally unintelligible to us, much more so than Estonian which we still can't understand much. The samis are just too few in number and kinda isolated, most people probably never met one, and ofc we have negative stereotypes about them.

>negative stereotypes about them
such as?

Alcoholic reindeer fuckers

"technically" being the operative word

M'dina

*tips*

>tfw no constantinople capital