Is it normal to display your academic titles absolutely everywhere (i.e. not in a professional setting) in your country...

Is it normal to display your academic titles absolutely everywhere (i.e. not in a professional setting) in your country? Apparently, it’s some tradition from the times of Austria-Hungary. Back then it granted you a great amount of respect. I find it ridiculous and don’t want to bother with changing my documents out of pure petit bourgeois vanity.

Attached: D8306828-99C2-41D9-8497-ECD14C3689B3.jpg (800x600, 593K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du-reformen
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You only do it when communicating with foreigners, because they expect it. Swedes have become so cucked that students call their professors (who while they have the title, don't title themselves as such) by their first names.

Same thing in Austria.

Its also normal here the teachers of me that had an phd insisted on being called Doctor ...

This and only place where people use sir etc. is military.

There is nothing cucked about it, just the age old egalitarianism of germanic tribes, where a king only was first among equals.

>(i.e. not in a professional setting)
No.
I've never seen a nameplate with academic/military titles on someone's private door.

But it's common courtesy to address someone by the title if they have one. In university settings it's actually expected and unless the person you're addressing deliberately says to address her/him per "mister/miss" (which is absolutely expected when addressing someone you're not on first-name basis with) it's actually rude to not address by the title.

But i've seen some gems. Like at my old high school the author of the fire-hazard guidelines (plaques on every story) was a soldier, a a firefighter and an engineer so his nameplate was something ridiculous like
>st. chor. sztab st. kpt. mgr inż Jan Kowalski
Which means something along the lines of Seargant Major of the Army, Senior Captain, Masters of Engineering Jan Kowalski
All he missed was being a churchly fellow and having an o. for "Father" prefixed before all of this kek

Question -

Are you supposed to refer to lawyers as "doctor"?

They have a JD, so I am not sure

when talking to a lawyer, let's say named john user, would I say Mr. user or Dr. user?

No not at all and even the king over here isn’t supposed to expect people call him by his title or else he’d be made fun of.
Our society is so egalitarian it’s annoying as hell and even in the decision making process the cunts from HR want to have their saying

I dont read moon

Depends on whether he has a PhD in law or not

>There is nothing cucked about it, just the age old egalitarianism of germanic tribes, where a king only was first among equals.

No, that's fucking bullshit and you believe it. This shit came about in the 60s and 70s with all the rest of the leftist attempts at social reform.

So you would refer to a lawyer with a professional degree [JD], but not an academic degree, as Mister?

Also, another question about title -

should I refer to an older woman who I am not sure is married or not as "Ms." or "Mrs."?

Mrs. seems to be more respectful to me, but I believe it's only for married women - how would I refer to single/unsure women who are older / higher up than me?

Attached: 1455770418610.jpg (662x593, 218K)

How daft you have to be to not deduce that Ing stands for Engineer?

There's nothing wrong with professors choosing to go by their first names. If a professor prefers to respectful full title that's fine, but if a professor prefers their first name that is also fine

I always refer to my professors as [Professor ***] but many of my professors, especially younger ones, will respond with their first names in emails or go by their first names in person

I don't see anything wrong with this

>So you would refer to a lawyer with a professional degree [JD], but not an academic degree, as Mister?
Precisely. The only people with a professional degree people in Poland call "doctors" are physicians despite the fact that most physicians just have a title of "physician" - "lekarz" - equal to magister (rough equivalent of masters) not an MD.

>There's nothing wrong with professors choosing to go by their first names.

They aren't choosing it personally, because it's the norm in our society thanks to leftist social engineering of the late 60s and early 70s. This is a well-known and often referenced thing in Sweden. Some even take a misguided pride in it.

Why should they go with a title according to you? It’s not like having been to university is very unique in our society

>where a king only was first among equals.
Not at all true today. In fact, the only exception today that exists to the so-called Du-reform of the 1960s is when addressing royalty, who you address by their respective titles and styles and never as if they're your equals.

>Why should they go with a title according to you? It’s not like having been to university is very unique in our society

Because as a student, the professors are not my peers. Removing the usage of such titles is a futile attempt at flattening social hierarchy, for no good reason.

Even if this was true, why do you take so much issue with it? The professors do not seem to take offense (why would they) and the students clearly don't see anything wrong with this interaction, so I don't think it's something you should worry about.

Like I said in my other post, I agree entirely with your position - professors deserve to be referred to by their title - so I always refer to my professors as such. And, personal interaction is always a personal thing, we are free to do this.

But if a student is more casual with our professors, they probably have a better relationship with the professor than I do. In some ways I envy them for their ability to be this casual with superiors like professors or bosses. And like the dutch user says, academic credentials are becoming more and more common in our society - why should academic positions deserve greater respect than those who choose to, for example, go into industry or business?

If this came about due to your so called leftist social reform, I must say I completely agree with it. Not just professors, but every older person in society deserves to referred to with respectful terms, but Professor in particular doesn't necessitate distinction.

>If this came about due to your so called leftist social reform, I must say I completely agree with it

It did and that's good that you see where I'm coming from. I'll return to why distinction like that is not a bad thing.

>Even if this was true

It is true, so there's no "even if" warranted. This Wikipedia article is not a satisfactory analysis of what happened and why, but it's probably good enough for cursory understanding of the magnitude and what kind of linguistic and behavioral transformation that took place.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du-reformen

I take issue with it because I know the thinking of the people who made this happen. They were and remain Marxists and they attempt to control you through all kinds of social engineering like this. Their whole point in doing this was to flatten social hierarchies for no reason other than to foolishly attempt to hammer the nail that stands out, to cut the heads of everyone taller than you, etc.. I don't like that kind of thing.

As for interpersonal usage, if you bond with whoever and you develop a relationship in which being as formal is no longer appropriate, then that's fine. If it happens in a personal sense, that's fine. Complicated, but fine. If we're talking in a professional sense, then that's what's supposed to happen over time as an important part of your personal development. For all intents and purposes, you're supposed to be developing peer-status with your professors as you gain academic competence. As for why these titles exist in the first place, it's because it's supposed to denote that something major has been accomplished in an academic setting, which is much more rigorous than a business setting. If you are a professor, then you've attained true expertise and it should be recognized and marked socially somehow, in my opinion. It takes something else.