Can you realistically survive without a car in pic related? Not even in the rural parts...

Can you realistically survive without a car in pic related? Not even in the rural parts? How is living in rural America like?

Attached: 1280px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (1280x674, 29K)

yes but only in the biggest cities.

Cities, yes although some better than others, some like Chicago actually have extensive public transport. Rural, very very unlikely almost impossible

my friend lives in a rural place about 32 minute drive from the nearest walmart and google maps says it would be a 6 hour walk just to get there.

only 2 hour bike ride and no public transport

If you live in a larger city, yeah. You can totally do it.

In the mid-size cities, it is getting more possible each month. Developers are really big on building pedestrian-friendly stuff, and transit is becoming increasingly popular in America (because we're densifying our cities with stuff like pic related).

However atm living somewhere pedestrian-friendly is very expensive because there's not a lot of it but it's in demand.
Real estate developers are alwyas trying to build more.

Honestly mid-large american cities have been getting really cozy lately. Lots of good breweries, boutique hotels, locally-owned stores, new parks, new apartments etc.
Definitely encourage a european to come check out Nashville or Charlottesville or Atlanta and see how much it's changed.

Attached: Alexandria, VA_7.jpg (1200x797, 205K)

>be military, travel to random training center in Northern Western US
>after training, go to bar / dance club
>down to earth white Americans
>everyone there grew up in the town (pop approx 10k)
>all sorts of shifting cliques and alliances
>people getting more drunk than ive seen since high school
>play volleyball
>play pool
>closing time, 3-4 fights in parking lot
>girls hooking up with dudes left and right
>get invited to go to a grave yard 'because its scary and fun' to continue drinking
>politely decline
this is small town white america

its a great time tbqh

I'm not joking you, Americans don't walk on streets and you'll get funny looks especially in residential areas if you do. If an American has to visit their neighbour three doors down they'll get into an SUV and drive the twenty metres

That's not right at all. People are always walking in residential areas. They walk their dogs, do it for exercise, just take a relaxing stroll.

Well, why do you think the US on average has 1.3 motor vehicles for every licensed driver in the country?

yes we dont walk in the street because we arent imbeciles. use a sidewalk or crosswalk

NYC and Chicago are a definite yes. Other cities have buses but they're really inefficient. I don't understand why we must be so sprawled

a bit of an embellishment

in small town america though yeah because our land sizes are so big you drive

Land sizes aren't the only issue.

Attached: 3.1-miles.jpg (800x814, 307K)

Hardly rural mein Freund

That's not true, i live in the burbs and you'll always see people jogging, walking their dogs, biking with their children ...
ahhh yes it's the local German autist again

Ok but people normally don't drive from one section of a suburb to another

America was built around cars (after WW2, anyway, and most things were built after WW2).

It has recently become popular to renovate older historic buildings and build new stuff right next to those.
People complain because oftentimes hipster restaurants open up there but it brings a lot of good things with it.

Don't need to drive in most big cities, in Los Angeles though you have too because the city is built around freeways. In suburban-rural areas you're going to need a car.

No I go to my work on bike everyday(pic related). When snow falls, I use the metro

Attached: my commute.png (532x582, 215K)

>I just got the latest copy of Madden™ 2018 for the Microsoft™ XBOX™ ONE™, wanna come over and play?
>Sure! I'll be right over, give me 20 minutes!

Fuck

Attached: file.png (1070x1236, 3.08M)

autistic and simply sad nitpicking. If you ever become friends with them, they'll open the fence and let you. No need to drive to their house you retard

Walking in unamerican.

with the exception of NY, DC and Boston it's basically to impossible to get along without a car. That's simply how we've organized ourselves. yeah, it's a burden on the urban poor but we are intrinsically an unequal society.

It's sad how America neglected other modes of transport. Prior to the focus on cars, America had a great rail system and was one of the pioneers of city metros/subways.

It’s a big country

I wish we had a billion people people 2bh. Imagine our cities then. Our big country is just one big sprawl at this point.

Not everything has a sidewalk or crosswalk you know.

Fucking no man. A billion people? Do you want us to look like China?

We're a third of the way there. Our midwestern cities could use a lot more people.

In first world countries they do

It is sad. But people are working really hard to get our cities nicer.
Honestly the biggest barrier is
1- building cities is fucking expensive and time consuming
2- the federal government subsidizes everything about cars but cuts funding for transit and infrastructure all the time

I just want a president who gives a shit about energy and infrastructure.

We’re more sparsely-populated than Sweden actually. That has nothing to do with it because financially the endless sprawl isn’t sustainable and does not accommodate population growth.
I also don’t see the need in destroying rural land that feeds us and the environment just to put up some shitty stickframe houses with shitty yards no one uses.
Traditional development is a much better use of space, and the market is building a lot more traditional stuff now which is nice.

Attached: CC177C55-BCE6-4FEE-B919-0040951C5819.jpg (259x194, 28K)

Attached: 35781155-new-york-usa-august-28-2014-crowded-sidewalk-on-5th-avenue-with-tourists-and-commuters-on-a (1300x866, 159K)

Attached: stock-photo-san-antonio-tx-may-a-view-of-the-crowded-historic-riverwalk-may-in-san-antonio-25140595. (1500x1101, 1.04M)

why is Jow Forums so obsessed with this topic?
it is literally one of the most popular threads on /int. "can americans survive without a car".
>survive

Don't need a car in Boston or NYC or any major city.

Spaniards are stupid

ive been there before, it was pretty nice

Plenty of drunks here who lose their license and have to cycle instead of drive

In the USA, you absolutely need a car. Only a few cities have good enough public transit for you to opt out.

Attached: 518.gif (342x342, 376K)

every flag creates threads about that. all of them
i just don't get why that one single fact about the us triggers them so much.

Not really. Unless you live in a city you will definitely need a car or three to get around. Three in case the first two break and two should be reliable in bad weather. It makes cars and car insurance more affordable since people need them and it makes you more self reliant since you learn to fix your own stuff. As a kid I lived in an abandoned town with my grandpa, dad, and sister and we had to literally drive an hour or two just to buy groceries. We also could hunt the animals in the woods.
i don't understand why non Americans even post in threads like these. Are you that insecure?

Walking is for faggots.
*dabs*

>t. muhammed

this isn't true at all, most places here aren't actually no go zones like they are in briton

Attached: tide pods.gif (500x500, 2.41M)

Having lived in a rural US town; yes you can survive, just get a bike.

>abandoned town
name pls. that sounds neat.

Absolutely not. Knowing the autists on this board someone may find it. It was a small town and we lived on the outside of it.
>t. Lived in the suburbs for a month
Euromonkeys feel the need to insert themselves where they are not wanted.

>a european
Why only Europeans?

you cant survive without car in rural areas here

you cant survive with a car in cities here

hah

for you

I live in CT. It's not rural but still not dense enough for public transport to work well. There are buses but it's slow and not terribly flexible. Miss a bus and you could be an hour or three late for work depending on where you live. Your best bet around here is to make a lot of friends, preferably with people who own cars, and hope they are nice enough and not too busy with other stuff to occasionally give you a ride. uber is somewhat popular too so there's that if you are inept at people.

>Using public transit
>Not just walking 3.5 miles to work then 3.5 miles back home
Wat r u somekind of pussy fagget?

Attached: Reviewbrah.jpg (326x326, 15K)

Been to Boston and NYC, didn't even touch a car for the entirety of my time there. Went out to some towns as well. Great cities and towns.

I live in a city and I still need a car to get around, so no, you can't unless if you live in New York City or San Fransisco.

You're exaggerating, but that is true to an extent.
People literally get in their pickup trucks, all just to drive to church two blocks down.