Why don't Western and Southern Slavs have their own words for "weekend"?

Why don't Western and Southern Slavs have their own words for "weekend"?
>Polish: weekend
>Czech: víkend
>Slovak: víkend
>Slovenian: vikend
>Croatian: vikend
>Bosnian: vikend
>Serbian: викeнд
>Macedonian: викeнд
>Bulgarian: yикeнд
Even Belarusian, which is an Eastern Slavic language: ўiк-энд
Russians and Ukrainians didn't just copy paste English: выхoдныe (vykhodnyye) and вихiднi (vykhidni).
>inb4 Dutch is just English lmao
No, explain yourselves.

Attached: 1532796861265.png (1280x979, 304K)

We have "konec tedna" (end of the week).

why should we? is it that important?

Belorussians speaks Russian mostly even in their country, therefore they use word выхoдныe too.
Btw your statemant is not fully correct. National holidays are also выхoднoй. So выхoднoй means "day off" when you don't go to your job. You can have your personal выхoднoй also. People who work by shifts, not 5 regular days, their day off after shift is also выхoднoй.

This
>tfw everyday is выхoднoй

There were many propositions and debates in higher-up commissions but they just said that it's better to leave the word be as is since it's been used for around 50 years now. You can always call it "koniec tygodnia" (end of the week) in a descriptive rather than one-word manner.

What alternatives did they offer to replace the anglicism?

Łikend, łykend koniec tygodnia, świętówka, dwudzionek, przedświątek, dwudniówka, niedziałek, wytchniówka, wypoczka, zapiątek. That's just a few of them.
From what I've read "weekend" is the correct form that's been used since before World War II and even back then there were efforts to polonise it. Then from 1945 to 1989 there were no weekends because only Sundays weren't workdays.

I don't know about other Slavic countries but in Poland Saturdays were working days up to 1990 (end of communism) so there was no point to use the term "weekend"

>Łikend
łat ze fak?
>świętówka
Ok
>przedświątek
Why przed?
>niedziałek
Nice, I like it
> zapiątek
Ok
>wytchniówka, wypoczka
Can you translate this?

>Can you translate this?

wytchnienie, wypoczynek = rest
wytchniówka, wypoczka = slang, "cool" forms of the words above

we never had a word for weekend, even before it was adopted from english.

Because they are subhuman slavshits

Because it's 20th century thing and no one came up with better neologism for it.

>not just calling it Saturdaysunday

That's what we call it in our dialect

because slavic countries were primarily agrarian and didn't have the concept of workdays, non-working days and all that stuff
saturday was a day just like any other because we are not jews and only sunday was special (church day, rest etc.). so we just borrowed it from english around 100 years ago when modern jobs got introduced i guess

>Sobotoneděle
6 syllables
>Víkend
2 syllables

we say "weekend" as well, we never really had our own word for it

cfare fjale?

vecko slut?

what?

>predsvetek

fund it!

"Saturday" is a loanword anyway. At least "wikend" is short.

Im Cantonese I don't think there is a word for weekend. Instead we simply use the Chinese word or just say Saturday + Sunday. And weekend in.Chinese is just direct literal translation of week+end.
And in Cantonese, Sunday is translated as "pray day". Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are translated as Pray 1, pray 2, .... Pray 6. This is different from other East Asian languages and I am not sure why.

Just translate. Surely slavs have a word for ''week'' and a word for ''end''

That wouldn't make much sense

Why? In Hebrew that's what we use.

Well it wouldn't sound right in Slovene