Northern England is getting dumber

What's going on, Brits? Why can't northern England maintain its native talent? Why does it flee south?

>The big sort: The decline of northern England, 1780–2018

>Northern England is now less educated and less productive than the south. This north-south divide is often characterised by policymakers as evidence of market failure. This column uses surname distributions to show that the northern decline can instead be explained by persistent outmigration of talent from the north. People of northern origin perform as well on average as those of southern origin. Talented northerners, however, are now mainly located in the south, where they are an economic elite.

>Despite significant regional government aid, the north of England and Wales lag the south in output per person, educational attainment, and other social indicators (e.g. Crafts 2005, Geary and Stark 2015, 2016). Value added per person is more than 40% higher in the south. The fraction of 18 year-olds winning admission to Oxford or Cambridge is double in the south.

>Using information on surnames that were northern (including Welsh) or southern in origin in pre-industrial England, in a recent paper we show that the decline of the north is entirely a product of the sorting of migrants by ability into a high-ability south and low-ability north over the last 200 years (Clark and Cummins 2018).

voxeu.org/article/decline-northern-england-1780-2018

Attached: El Norte.jpg (4320x3240, 1.27M)

Because they keep out the high iq indians

IT'S THE FUCKING TORIES I tells you my son...

nobody cares what happens in the UK
they are as irrelevant as Barbados
sage

more opportunity and higher wages darn sarf
plus it's nicer

Because the south has the best uni's, better employment opportunities, economic growth, etc. A lot of it is caused by the presence of London, and the City of London / greater London area with most of the financial and government related jobs

Same happens in Belgium with Brussels. My province (Limburg) is also declining and experiencing a brain drain because it's a vicious cycle: people leave for better opportunities, thus making it even worse for those who stay behind

>London is too fucking expensive!
>Live up north? You sodding cunt, I'd never do that! I want LONDON prices to be lower! I care fuckall about prices in Newcastle!

The eternal Englander...

Attached: Fat frog.png (800x600, 70K)

But why go to the north? Just because it's cheap isn't a good reason. That's like telling a person working at Wall Street or Silicon Valley 'dude just move to North Dakota'

People are where the jobs are

>'dude just move to North Dakota'
bad example, that's one of the highest income states, even more so if you account for cost of living

pre fracking North Dakota then

God, same here.
Sometimes I think my state will never get better because there are two large and successful cities nearby where all the motivated people go.

I think almost no one lives in the north of wales desu.

I saw Yorkshire and thought it was pretty nice, don't get why someone wouldn't want to live there.

you're more safe to just shift to south dakota, there's a whole lot of nothing going on there

You'd think the state would be booming with all the Mount Rushmore tourism

Guess carving 4 heads in a mountain isn't enough to create a stable economy

all investment goes to London
everywhere else is an economic black hole with a few exceptions

That’s fucking sad, man

Doesn't the Birmingham-Liverpool-Leeds triangle have more people than Greater London?

Gee, I wonder what's wrong.

Attached: Screenshot_20180802-000939_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 408K)

The UK is even more fucked than us in the "centralization" meme.

It literally doesn't matter. London exists in a vacuum from the rest of England. It should honestly be turned into a capital region and excluded from national level funding

>all the economic activity is down south
>hurr durr why are all the high IQ people down south
Also
>Despite significant regional government aid
Keeping the plebs on the dole is dysgenic in the long term

>yanks pretending they understand english regionalism

Attached: 1483485925736.png (399x322, 42K)

Tokyo is the same
capital city is always like huge old tree
which kills all plant around the tree and convert them to it's nutrition.

This happens in every country not just UK

at least north england has liverpool and manchester, southwest england is fucked

In the Netherlands it’s even funnier since all the smart (white) people are born in the East and North and move to the west for employment later in life while in the west itself 70% of babies are retarded mutts

hmm yes it's almost like finding decent work in newcastle is really fucking hard

The main industries of the North became inefficient and cumbersome due to nationalisation, and then were thrown to the wolves during privatisation rather than managed back to profitability. If British politics hadn't been so polarised between far-left Labour trade unionism and neoliberal Conservatism you'd probably have got a sensible middle-ground where short-term pain was accepted as part of a plan to bring long-term growth and profitability back to nationally vital industries. Instead they were thrown to the wolves as part of a political battle, and new sources of wealth and employment have been slow to replace them. That's not surprising when the towns, cities and infrastructure of the North were built around these old heavy industries and nothing has been done to rejuvenate it or make it competitive enough to attract new modern industries. Look at major infrastructure projects in the UK and most will be dominated by London or based around London.