Why is all medieval fantasy set in a version of England?

Why is all medieval fantasy set in a version of England?

Attached: Fantasy Europe.png (1280x1024, 77K)

It isn't. You just only know about Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings because they are the most famous right now.

They speak English. Helps with immersion.

>what is the witcher
>what is anything that has to do with king arthur
>what are elders scrolls

>king arthur
>not set in england
Are you retarded m8?

LotR was actually mostly based on Scandinavian mythos, and GoT -while based in basically the British Isles flipped on their side- took its inspiration from Rois Maudits, a fictional novel about the Hundred Years War. .

Actually, Le Roi Arthure is French

I think you'll find that Koning Anton is Dutch

Because you only consume Anglo media.

亚瑟王 was Han Chinese.

>LotR was actually mostly based on Scandinavian mythos
I'd say it's mostly based on Christian mythos. The entire history of Middle Earth is like taken straight from the Bible.

>Canadian flag
The day of the rake can't come soon enough

Attached: 39b[1].jpg (517x650, 78K)

Actually, Chief Rabbi Aaron is a Hebrew story.

>invented by frenchman
>king of britanny
I think you're indeed the retard there

>Not reading King Arthur in the original Navajo

Attached: navajo.jpg (1600x954, 967K)

You do realise Britanny was founded by Celtic colonists from Britain who brought the legend of King Arthur with them, right?

because British knight are the most repeatable
i.e. not using horses and actually fighting like what normies think of knights

why are frogs such we wuzzers?
brittany wasn't french(Parisian)
fuck off back to your blacked hellhole

>french = parisian
brainlet.
find one occurence of this legend before it was written by Chrétien De Troyes

It isn't, you just consume Anglocentric media

Tolkien had a raging hardon for Anglo-Saxon era England so you're both right to a degree.

Attached: Untitled.png (965x536, 31K)

>elves
>the fey

The Arthurian story originated with the Welsh, but the frog is right that a huge amount of what's associated with it came from a French continuation of the myth.

King Arthur was Breton. So only Brittany and the South West of England can claim him. The frogs particularly should stop trying to pretend King Arthur was French.

yep french african intellect at work
what language are you speaking you shitskin?
i would say just Brittany and wales gets him

i want real sources with the text.

El Rey Arturo is an Old Castilian tale, though

English

King Arthur is a British Celt (Brittany, Wales, Cornwall) story, likely based on a Romano-Briton commander who fought off Anglo-Saxon invaders

He isn't English and he definitely isn't French. He is a Briton (historical meaning, not modern meaning).

Uh sweetie. Kaiser Artürich was German

fug

Sorry but Kung Ärtor was from Sweden.

And the war of the roses.
Also this.

kys, goblino

Attached: 401px-Daemonette_Keeper_of_Secrets.jpg (401x599, 157K)

Nah man. It's a myth written by Nicolás Téslez, the famous Spanish novelist.

Attached: Téslez.jpg (472x635, 59K)

No, he was king of Dumnonia and one of his relative is buried on an island near my home town. Us bretons descend directly from Arzhur

Here's a similar meme map I got from /v/.

Attached: 1517037295060m.jpg (957x1024, 213K)

but is not true at all

He inhabited a Britain pre-Germanic Migrations, but it was Britain nonetheless (including what is now England, not just Wales). This isn’t to mention that the average English person is still mostly of Celtic descent.

>King Arthur is a legendary British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defence of Britain against Saxon invaders in the late 5th and early 6th centuries. The details of Arthur's story are mainly composed of folklore and literary invention, and his historical existence is debated and disputed by modern historians.[2] The sparse historical background of Arthur is gleaned from various sources, including the Annales Cambriae, the Historia Brittonum, and the writings of Gildas. Arthur's name also occurs in early poetic sources such as Y Gododdin.[3]

>Arthur is a central figure in the legends making up the Matter of Britain. The legendary Arthur developed as a figure of international interest largely through the popularity of Geoffrey of Monmouth's fanciful and imaginative 12th-century Historia Regum Britanniae (History of the Kings of Britain).[4] In some Welsh and Breton tales and poems that date from before this work, Arthur appears either as a great warrior defending Britain from human and supernatural enemies or as a magical figure of folklore, sometimes associated with the Welsh Otherworld, Annwn.[5] How much of Geoffrey's Historia (completed in 1138) was adapted from such earlier sources, rather than invented by Geoffrey himself, is unknown.

>Although the themes, events and characters of the Arthurian legend varied widely from text to text, and there is no one canonical version, Geoffrey's version of events often served as the starting point for later stories. Geoffrey depicted Arthur as a king of Britain who defeated the Saxons and established an empire over Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway and Gaul. Many elements and incidents that are now an integral part of the Arthurian story appear in Geoffrey's Historia, including Arthur's father Uther Pendragon, the wizard Merlin, Arthur's wife Guinevere, the sword Excalibur, Arthur's conception at Tintagel, his final battle against Mordred at Camlann, and final rest in Avalon.

I don't see what you are trying to say. Arzhur is a breton

nuh-uh
he french

>He inhabited a Britain pre-Germanic Migrations, but it was Britain nonetheless (including what is now England, not just Wales).
inhabiting the same land doesn't mean you can claim the culture of a people who once lived there. You don't see sane white Americans saying Navajo legends are a part of their culture

>This isn’t to mention that the average English person is still mostly of Celtic descent.
This is just wrong, English people are far less Celtic than the rest of Britain. The grey bit is mostly general Western European genes.

Attached: file.png (640x1072, 218K)

the legend comes from a celtic legend certainly coming from wales

WE

It's true though. It would be stupid do deny it

>a million useless fiefdoms
The German Hanseatic League dominated the whole of the Baltic region and beyond for centuries during the middle ages. They even fought a naval war against England and won.

You really can't use Voltaire's meme about the HRE and apply it all over the middle ages because it only works during the very late middle ages/renaissance times.

That's a bizarre map.

The French and German populations are genetically distinct from one another and putting them in the same category is stupid. France is populated by Celtic peoples (not the same as those in Britain) and Germany, obviously, is home to people of Germanic origin. Plus, the differences between the Anglo-Saxons (incorrectly given the label "British" in your map) and modern-day German population are negligible.

A survey by a properly accredited institution would be a better source.

>inhabiting the same land doesn't mean you can claim the culture of a people who once lived there. You don't see sane white Americans saying Navajo legends are a part of their culture
Please remind me of where I said that. My point was that many who live in England are still of primarily Celtic descent (even your Ancestry.com source confirms that there's no definitive consensus in genes throughout the English population).

>Germans will actually defend this

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 159K)

Because we have the most interesting national history desu

god what a confusing graph
what does british even mean?

It wasn't meant to imply the HRE was weak, it was meant to imply that it's pointless to differentiate the fiefdoms from each other in a fantasy context.

wrong, dutch are swamp people

>elves

Attached: 1514592762943.png (593x580, 621K)

If you're reading fantasy novels written by Anglo authors, derp.

Half of the story is based on charlemagne more than on anything else. Its a bastard of multiple stories , legends and historical events though.

HRE clones are the best empire settings for fantasy though. Much more potential for scheming and infighting while a large outside threat is approaching (orcs/ottomans)

Scandinavians always end up as the noble savage meme mixed with vikings.
It's the most overused thing imaginable, but they keep reusing it.

The Finns are the elves anyways

Nobilitá

Attached: Portugal-Nobt-Kg_JohnIII-9paint-xvii-2decides_tomoveest.png (1340x1280, 3.13M)

Modern day Bretons are just Welsh people that speak French

Game of Thrones
North: Northern England
Vale: Wales
Iron Islands: Norway/Iceland
Dorne: Spain
Rest of Westeros: England
Braavos: Amsterdam/Venice
Valryia: Rome
Free Cities: Greek city states

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I woonnnnnnnnnnnnnnder

Maybe because productions are from Hollywood or England and they favors anglo stories.
But France are billions of medevial fantasies

Because England is the epitome of late European culture.

Also I guess that many authors have an English background.

t.Nigel in Hollydays