Investing in a Class A CDL

Fuck this crypto shit I'm putting 4k into getting a class A CDL. I'm going to drive to the fucking moon.

50k eoy guranteed.

>No rent
>Sleep in cabin
>Minimal expenses
>See the country and moon

Who wants to hold my bags while I go on this moon mission.

Attached: truck-brian-california.jpg (800x534, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

convoy.com/
freight.uber.com/
globalnews.ca/news/3934723/self-driving-trucks-moving-quickly-to-commercial-reality-despite-job-threat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

23 yo Boomer trucker here and it is Max comfy best thing i ever did desu

Any other young guys out there doing this?

>Paying money and spending time getting into an industry on the verge of automation
Jow Forums really is for brainlets isn’t it

How much you making per mile?

Any idea on what swift or CR are like?

Once I get a CDL I pretty much have to work for a big national right?

>Verge of automation

You know the railroads and aviation industry could have been automated 30+ years ago right?

Some faggot is going to have to sit in the cabin and be accountable for the truck even if it's automated.

How will the cameras stay clean when 100 bugs splat on it every hour, or when a coat of dust covers it? How does the system ensure a secure load or resecure the load. Lots of shit to do aside from stay within two lines, moreso than in aviation actually.

It costs $4k to get a class A CDL? I thought it was like $2k.

I'm hourly $20/hr but during cold months i haul FedEx containers for what comes out to like $25/hr

how many cyclists have you almost killed

So you want to sit in a truck cabin and wipe dirt and bugs off its windows and make minimum wage? Thats the dream?

Swift charges 3.7k.

Most locals on the West Coast charge 4k or so.

Might be cheaper in the South.

If you get hired on and drive for a year most companies will compensate your CDL cost.

Swift and CR will even put you threw it no upfront cost if you drive for them.

4k for what? Is that what it costs to take the test? Also is there a yearly fee or something with CDL licenses?

Two years ago my old boss wanted me to get a CDL to drive cars around and I was a stubborn prick and told him to fuck off.

A few months ago I realized I passed on a golden opportunity to get free training and have a truck to take the test in.

Fuck swift dude. Their name basically stands for Sure Wish I Finished Training. They're a meme in the trucking business.

that's what the tuition costs. if there's a fee for the actual test it's probably nowhere near that much.

Something even remotely close to what you describe is a long way off. Probably decades.

You have to understand that trucking encapsulated in the beurocracies of 50 states, and the feds.

There is going to be more to it than wiping cameras.

And it won't be minimum.

Look at airlines, rail, or even freighters

If it's automated it'll be even comfier for drivers than it is now.

logisticsfag here... huge demand for LTL/freight drivers(in the US). However, self-driving tech will dominate in swift fashion. If you're in your 20's... then I guess you would be okay.

160 hours of required training. 120 of that behind the wheel.

Also the use of a truck for the Dot skills test.

Do you actually see automation completely replacing drivers in the next 4 decades?

Unless the trucks are equipped with an array of self calibrating sensors and an AI to interpret the data, I just don't see how it's anything more than a lane maintainer at the moment.

my nigga trucking school cost 1500 don't pay more than that, I mean I guess it doesn't matter in the long run cuz you make good dosh so whatever

>You have to understand that trucking encapsulated in the beurocracies of 50 states, and the feds
So were cabs, they got killed pretty quick by uber. Uber is training the software programs that will replace you right now with the human drivers it currently uses. These things already exist and you can find them in the streets today.
You’ll be a glorified truck washer at best.

No, but it will at least be like the way our train logistics systems are set up now. We will at least have a human conductor.

The same way on a macro-level, we will have some designated routes on a state level that a conductor will probably oversee. Once the load/container gets to a *general* area it will fall into the hands of a local carrier(i.e. Joe's trucking(under Penske, etc).

Anyway, that is my foresight from what I know and have seen.

I load and unload trucks in a warehouse all day and have tons of young drivers. Theres even a shortage in my area so it's easy to make good money if you aren't shit

What school?

Every one in Western WA in 4k USD.

Not too worried, plan on getting it reimbursed anyways.

The Uber comparison is kind of shit.

Uber killed cabs in a few different ways, none of which have anything to do with automation.

>Act as a middle man between average drivers with no training who use personal cars and people who need rides with smartphones.
>Offload all costs on to the drivers including insurance, fuel, maintenance, vehicle depreciation, and pay them as contractors instead of employees
>Take a cut of all transactions while incurring no costs but advertising, and electronic infrastructure.

Basically Uber killed cabs because they essentially tricked and continue to trick idiots into driving there own cars for free.

I don’t like the idea of sleeping in those all week. I’m a trucker UPS though, short haul. 100k a year easy

I'm 29, have a degree, worked at large software & med device companies, and am realistically looking into this.

I live in Arizona and there are ads everywhere that you don't need experience, just don't be retarded.

I guess there is a real shortage of drivers. How many younger guys do you see doing this? Not many, truck drivers are dying out, literally, of old age.

Time to start a life on the road. That's the fucking way she goes, boys.

Attached: Unknown.jpg (225x225, 7K)

I started package car driving at 22, its better than OTR long hauling because you actually get to have somewhat of a life.

How long did it take you to get into feeders?
There is never a bid up where I'm located.

I live in the Midwest, but all trucking companies are in need of drivers. Overall Volume is expected to quadruple in the next 5 years. That plus so many guys are ready to retire. If you go that route, remember that you have options. Go with the company that will pay you the most and won’t make you unload the trailers.

>He doesn't want to live in the back of a company truck and yell at lot lizards and smugglers in strange lots all across the country while saving up a big enuff stack to go to the moon.

enjoy looking for a new job in 5-10 years when robots do your job better than you OP

EVERYONE THAT DOES THIS GETS ASS CANCER

STAY POOR AND DIE EARLY

DONT DO IT

GOOGLE SHIT IF YOUR NOT SURE

that sounds fantastic, but I run an online collectable cardboard square business on the side so i need to be home every day to ship orders

user why kid yourself

learn about health

no matter how much you hit the gym sitting (truck driver especially) colon cancer

think about it twice

do some research

talk to truck drivers relatives

drivers will always deny

honestly seems pretty comfy

Eh. Sitting on your ass all day dealing with the retards on the road, way too much stress. Plus, "minimal expenses" says to me you've done no research - a new truck can easily cost as much as a house, so you'll have a hefty truck payment that's equal to mortgage or rent, or an older truck that will cost more to maintain, then gas, maintenance, insurance, trucks stop food ain't exactly cheap or good for you, and the only country you'll see is a freeway. I know some truckers, they can take at most two weeks in the truck before they start to lose it and need to go home and unwind. If you're gonna drive someone else's truck, it's a lot less money, to really pull in the bucks, you need your own rig.
Getting the license, not a bad idea, there's always a demands for truckers. But you really need to talk to some actual truckers as to what the lifestyle is really like. I think you have the wrong idea.

I'd rather go work for the railroad, honestly - pays about the same, but you're not dealing much with the assholes in cars on the freeway. I've driven across the country, if you're behind the wheel you spend more time trying not to get hit by other cars than admiring the scenery.

Protip - if you want money and stories, buy/lease a tour bus, and drive for musicians. It has it's own downsides, like musicians fucking the bus up (you get to clean it), but it's a lot of fun - and you get to see the show every night. Drivers get blowjobs for passes, too. Or drive a truck for a rock band, same deal, but you don't have to clean the bus. You can go check out the scenery while the road crew is unloading. The money is a lot better than hauling dry goods across the mountains.

And I guess you've never heard of convoy

convoy.com/

or the fact that uber is getting into trucking

freight.uber.com/

face it. truckers won't exist in a decade.

>Da wobots will do errything

If a robot can drive a semi truck safely with no human supervision or calibration you can say goodbye to pretty much every job.

In 8-10 years you might not have a job though. Self-driving trucks will be here way before self-driving cars.

exactly brainlet.

exactly. winning consumers over will take time. winning logistics company owners over with the pitch that they can drastically reduce expenses and not have to adhere to any restrictions re: the number of hours that can be driven in a single haul or any of that bullshit. just autonomous freight running itself 24/7 from your dispatch system.

kek. truckers thinking they'll have a job are deluded. capitalism wins every time.

Uber was a solution to the stranglehold that cab companies had on taxis all over the country/world, especially in NYC where medallions were going for insane amounts of money, and were being bought up by groups of arabs/pajeets, and were hiring filthy non-english speaking immigrants to drive, and jacking prices through the roof. Uber is cheap, runs well, and goes places a lot of cab companies won't. Yes, they took advantage of people supplying their own car and insurance, but that's over with now, most Uber drivers buy cars to drive specifically for Uber, and have special additions to their insurance.

My small cities was infested with snotty pajeet cabs, and thanks to Uber, they're almost all gone now. They were taking over the airport buses, too, and the service was in the fucking toilet, now Uber replaced them, too.

I'm pretty sure they already can?

Depends on where you work dude. You near a major city? I delivered packages for 4 years. I put my name on the list for feeders cal training and they called me two weeks later. Much much less stress.

Uber is delivering for Amazon now, too. That's how a lot of same-day delivery is possible.

Convoy is a middleman. Which offers contracts for loads. To truckers and logistics companies operating under the same rules.

Uber is a middleman which offers ride contracts to Joe schmoes operating under different rules from taxis, and who often don't even calculate operating costs beyond fuel.

Uberfreight is the equivalent of convoy. Which is really just like any other logistics company.

None of those sites even refer to automation lmao.

Whatever man I'll take my easy 50k+ a year and you can keep telling me I'm unemployed.

Just like autopilot took pilots out of airplanes right?

being a truck driver is a lot of work
sitting all day is not good for your health
truck driver accident statistics, go read them, kek

The reason you don't want to do this is that it absolutely wrecks your body and health.

>Sitting on your ass nearly 24/7
>No fresh food
>skin cancer from constant sun exposure
>wrist problems and shoulder/back problems from holding a wheel in front of you for 20 years

>none of those sites refer to automation
>can't infer from uber's self drive tests what's coming

this is why you work in a dying industry. it all makes sense now. glad I'm in the industry of automation.

flying a plane =/= flying a truck

I've yet to see a demonstration of an 'autonomous' truck driving without a driver in anything less than perfect high visibility, low temperature conditions in a deserted highway in the desert.

Their is much more to driving a rig than keeping it on cruise control between two lines deliver a case of budlight in the desert.

I've yet to see any videos showing the tech is anything beyond a lane control and cruise control system at this point.

I think you boys are buying the hype behind the tech without looking into fundamentals. Which is probably why most of you own crypto.

I've thought about it. In fact, becoming a truck driver is my back up plan if my career as an accountant doesn't work out.

These reasons are a big factor as to why it isn't my first choice.

Also, it only pays well if you do long trips that require you to sleep in the cab many nights in a row. When you think about all the time you spend away from home living in the truck, that "$20+ an hour" actually comes out to less than minimum wage. Plus, sometimes you have to ride with someone else. And most truckers are fat redneck slobs, so have fun sleeping in the cab with one of them.

so? 10 years ago the iPhone didn't even have an app store. you clearly don't understand how technology works or how fast it changes.

Are you suggesting a camera cleaning device would literally solve the oracle problem?

or just get a normal office job that pays 50k

So uh, how is it different from computer programming?

>Sit on ass 24/7
>Eat microwaved hot pockets all day
>Rare disease and neurological disorders from lack of vitamin D
>Wrist and back problems from typing all day

yup. somehow this trucker has never heard of a windshield washer kek

ugh... right in the feels. my wrist is killing me today, my back has felt fucked for weeks, and I eat/sleep like shit and barely move since I work from home.

ya... actually fuck programming, but fuck trucking too. do something that pays you to exercise.

>Camera can function while being cleaned
>Camera won't misinterpret debris on the lense or ignore it and create a blind spot.
>All debris can be removed by wipers
>Camera will never have electrical problems

>Making a transactional app with a controlled number of variables is the same as operating and mantaining a 30,000+ lb truck.

Thanks just bought 100k Uber

>thinks the only sensors that make autonomous vehicles work is a camera
>misses the point that this is a trivial problem for engineers to figure out

globalnews.ca/news/3934723/self-driving-trucks-moving-quickly-to-commercial-reality-despite-job-threat/

>The International Transport Forum, an intergovernmental think-tank, however, estimated that more than half of the 6.4 million driver jobs needed globally in 2030 could become redundant if driverless trucks are deployed quickly.

>Automating the trucking industry will be more efficient because it will cut labour costs by 40 per cent trucks can operate for longer hours, said Paul Godsmark, chief technology officer at the Canadian Automated Vehicles Centre of Excellence.

>Godsmark said a similar transport revolution occurred a century ago when cars replaced horse and carriage. “When something better comes along we adjust pretty quick and if it only took 13 years to adjust 100 years ago, how much quicker will be adapt this time around?”

kthxbai