/lang/ - language learning general

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribute)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Books and shit nobody reads:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

old challenges:

Attached: latin quo.png (832x769, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/t-3Nni5vlNI
onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/liefdewerk-oud-papier/
onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/naar-de-filistijnen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you're language a shit

Attached: snappus.jpg (760x756, 184K)

Sie essen die Äpfel :)

Started learning German a few days ago. So far I really like it.

Who else has started reading literature in their language? I'm reading Flaubert in the original French right now

*blocks your path*

Attached: german-article-adjective-and-pronoun-chart-updated[1].png (784x505, 34K)

What language should I learn?

Attached: 1534632800478.jpg (640x640, 55K)

how regular are these?

I'm also fairly proficient in Russian. It cant be worse than that r-right?

I'm still on podcasts, will make the switch to /lit/ soon

Attached: Untitled.png (883x262, 41K)

100%. German's highly logical but a bit difficult which is why I like it and would recommend staying with it.
Nigga you're fine then

These charts always make it look harder than it is.

I know I'm just being a dick

Not yet. I’m still at a very basic level. But I’ll probably start with something like Harry Potter. Eventually I’ll get to the big boy stuff like Borges.

What app do you recommend for learning English? I want a mini course, with grammar and these things, not "translate this word" like Duolingo and Memrise.

Aber warum essen sie die Äpfel?

german

Latin

Attached: learn Latin.png (1800x2709, 870K)

How do I make myself a 2k Core Irish deck

among case based languages German is super easy mode
the only reason it's got this reputation for "insane grammar" because it's the only case based language English speakers often learn in high school
German declensions are very significnatly reduced compared to languages like Latin, Greek, Icelandic, basically any Slavic language, etc.

for example there would be no way to make such a pic for Icelandic because of 12-14 main noun declension classes and if you count all subclasses and declensions something like 70 different ways to decline nouns

pic related

Attached: fsi_language_difficulty_map.png (750x670, 171K)

QUICK are you man enough to translate
>benis is bagina :DDDDDDD
into your target language?

are the romance languages actually easier than german?

yea apparently since modern romance got no cases although imho they make up for it with their ridiculously inflated verb conjugation but the FSI suggests that it does make enough of a difference

Yes

Yes. Though Romanian may be close?

For an English speaker, probably.

Sie sind sehr gut.

hebrew

sehr nett

youtu.be/t-3Nni5vlNI

That could make me want to learn French.

yeah watching that series i was disappointed that spanish seemingly has just one expletive that they just unimaginatively repeat

I dont think that map accurately represents French.

Though most of English's vvocabulary is from Latin and French, the pronunciations of words and the sounds letters make are very different.

Words in French have a way of blending together which is also very alien to Englsih speakers.

On top of this French is very heavy on words having double meanings such as innuedo.

Then the different forms of French such as that in Quebec.

Attached: fre2.png (1584x772, 322K)

yeah but pronounciation is 99% predictable and has a strict specific pattern to it. as long as you read a lot out loud pronounciation is fine

After having learned Chinese for about 6 months, I'm dipping my toes into Japanese just to see if I'll like it better.

dutch is a non ugly version of german

Go be wrong somewhere else

Attached: 1533539052985.jpg (480x458, 25K)

based

I'm noticing a lot of times with plural words in Russian, e tends to end up as ё; is there some sort of rule about this?

>embed embed embed embed
Nooooo we were supposed to fix this~~

i can't think of a single regular word that ends with ё, let alone a word in plural

> мyмиё
a regular word not some all rules breaking meme

Not ending, just anywhere e.g. cecтpa > cёcтpы

i think that's an isolated case

based on just one word i can make up a case that ё is to be removed in plural form with an example like:

кocтёp -- кocтpы

I remember there being a couple but it's probably a coincidence then

Reminder, reasons for learning a language rankings

Top tier: Because you like learning languages
High tier: Necessary for a country you live in/have serious plans to move to*
Mid tier: General usefulness (if you're also doing it because you like learning languages refer to top tier)*
Okay tier: For use in a country you hope to move to someday*
Low tier: It's something to do but you don't really take it seriously
Shit tier: muh ancestors muh heritage
Kill yourself: trying to get laid

*if the country is Japan refer to shit tier

>Kill yourself: trying to get laid

Attached: 1518595695811.jpg (800x857, 68K)

The sort of person to do that being an insufferable twat aside, it's a serious and extremely time consuming commitment. Even by peacocking standards it's completely stupid when one could just fix their own garbage personality in less time

>one could just fix their own garbage personality in less time

do you know how difficult it is to fundamentally change a garbage personality? It's ranges from very difficult to almost impossible

But you can reach A2 in a language with Duolingo in a single year

yo nigga listen i don't know any russian but i think i know the reason why this ё stuff is happening

look when you've got a word like
>cecтpa
the stress is on the "a"
however if you decline it - that includes the plural like cёcтpы - the stress changes to the "e"

however, in russian stressed syllable NEVER have reduced vowel sounds - this is why the "e" turns into "ё" in the plural, because it receives the stress.

i am drunk i hope this makes sense.

It's really not difficult, just nobody wants to put in the effort and I'm including myself in that. Keep in mind this is just temporarily not being a conceited/boring asshole for pussy, not attracting a soulmate (who let's be honest, isn't going to be that great if she was swept off her feet by some fatfuck speaking broken French)

i learned a language for an exchange student in high school. she was my first crush. i never made a move on her.

also your tier list lacks "i like the country the language is spoken in and want to learn it to make vacation there more enjoyable"

>never made a move on her
Story of my life.

Anyway the amount you'd need to learn for a vacation and have it be useful is far beyond what almost anyone is going to do for a few days/week in another country. I always see people learning greetings and things but everyone just speaks to them in English because they can't actually say anything useful

Hebrew

Based what language should I learn poster

What about звepь - звepьё? There are a lot like this ))

Based hebrew poster

ratyi

stop

Attached: 1532546322133.png (700x700, 354K)

I am halfway through Norwegian Duolingo

Attached: Untitled.png (1069x304, 37K)

Kakukk

CYRILLIC TAKES TOO LONG TO TYPE IN ПPOCTO УБEЙ MEHЯ CУКA БЛЯTЬ

Attached: a09.png (680x708, 387K)

where do you see those statistics?

this is the Duolingo-companion course on Memrise, not the real Duolingo

sorry there's not way to see progress on real Duolingo ....

plural of звepь is звepи

звepьё is more like "animaldom", "animalship"

are you 56% viking?

eentje voor de liefhebbers, die ik vandaag heb geleerd: liefdewerk oud papier
onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/liefdewerk-oud-papier/

I love onzetaal.nl desu, they always give nice explanations of all kinds of uitdrukkingen

oh man, I can't wait to get to 56%

Wait are you the guy who learnt Hungarian to make a move on a balt girl? KEK

Attached: 1507575266706.jpg (540x523, 99K)

Never heard of that one before.
>onzetaal.nl
Based
Have one on me onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/naar-de-filistijnen/

Any german speaker here that can correct this sentence?
>Ich fahre mit dem auto mit dem meine freunde. Wir gehest in kino.

Attached: ^B3FDFEEF22910010D0BFF72817B57138FCCAE9C2517CBE8D44^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (800x797, 44K)

> mit dem meine Freunde
> Wir gehest

Oh lordy

Its wir gehen, right? But what's wrong with "mit dem meine Freunde"

Yeah it's wir gehen

you don't need the "dem" after mit
It's just mit meinen Freunden, with my friends
Cuz when you have a dative like mit, you add an "n" to the end of plural nouns, like mit Kartoffeln

I'm a brainlet in German so I could be wrong

I mean Kindern

Just turn on the mnemonic keyboard.

alright, thanks

Wait! Wait!

I also have a gut feeling that your word order and word choice is wrong, like it should be wir gehen mit meinen Freunden beim Auto, or something

but I don't know what the correct version is, I only have a strong feeling

>wir gehen mit meinen Freunden beim Auto
wouldn't that say, "we will go with my friends"
I'm sticking with the swedish structure since my teacher told me to. You might be correct, though.

It would be more simple to say "wir fahren", that's just my guess

also bump

I wish I'd learned German by now because nowadays I'm just too miserable to put in the immense amount of work it would take for me to be able to speak it, write, and understand it being spoken. I try to engage in German conversations and when I have to look up every other word it just makes me more miserable.

Story?

watch some german videos

> the immense amount of work it would take for me to be able to speak it, write, and understand it being spoken
There's no hurry user, I've been studying german for 7 years and I'm still around the A2 level. I just started to get serious last week and now I feel like I've never been that good before in german

7 years?!?!?
I'm supposed to be almost fluent by december.

That's nothing. I started studying it in 2009 and I don't even know what level I'm at. I certainly can't understand normal German conversation, I have no idea what the fuck anybody is saying. I can't even comprehend news reports.

Attached: Wow, damn.png (1875x168, 48K)

You're making me very worried.

Well, to be fair, you aren't really taught how to learn a language in the US. I didn't practice every single day of those 9 years, I only studied in school from 2009-2011. And tried studying off and on after college but didn't really know what to do to do it effectively, I'd try to watch movies with German subtitles but it just seemed to take way too long and be really inefficient. Even to this day I don't know how people learn other languages effectively. I have a Finnish friend who speaks at least four languages and is probably more adept at English than I am but I can't even speak or write skillfully in one other language other than my native. I've tried German, Spanish, Japanese, you name it. Not fluent in any of them.

Well, I lied a bit. I started at age 11, first year of middle school, and I stopped at age 18, just after the baccalauréat (final exams in french highschool) and I even managed to get a 18 out of 20 in german, which was my first foreign language. I should have said "I studied", my fault
Now I'm 24, and I guess I'm a beginner again, though I have some memories from school
Well I started in 2005, I just stopped learning it for 6 years, as I decided to make short studies in an highschool which wasn't offering german lessons.

Don't you worry, german will be easier for a swede like than for a fr*nchoid like me

i see
Probably. There's tons of similarities.

> Kill yourself: trying to get laid
this is a valid reason not like
> Top tier: Because you like learning languages
it's just autism

Don't compare yourself to some finnish genius, and focus on one language only.
Have you tried to buy an exercise book with lessons in it and important vocabulary? That's what I use and it works quite well

>Have you tried to buy an exercise book with lessons in it and important vocabulary? That's what I use and it works quite well

I still have my old college textbook and all the stuff I bought back then. Maybe I could go through it again but I just don't feel confident I'm ever going to get to where I want to be at this point.

If Franck Ribery can do it then you can also do it
That's my motto

>Franck Ribery

Now I'm lost.

Irish

Forget about that, and just do it

do you group your vocabulary so it has a common theme? eg. animals, clothing
is this a good way to go about bulk learning vocabulary

I've never done this.