Slavic mutual intelligbility

As a Native Slavic language speaker, how well do you understand each of the slavic language groupings ( you don't need to comment on your own)

Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian

Polish-Czech-Slovak

Slovenian-Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin

Bulgarian-Macedonian

Attached: 2000px-Slavic_languages_map_en.svg.png (2000x1843, 404K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/M8AxBY7d7G0
youtu.be/eFkvozCxYW0
youtu.be/dtKQJhJKI58
youtube.com/watch?v=VpAgslp8xew
youtube.com/watch?v=H-elyK2cnxI
youtube.com/watch?v=R6OlpeocASg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a native Czech speaker and I can completely understand Slovak and Most of Polish obviously and have a basic grasp of Rus/Ukr/Bel and I have no comprehension past basic phrases and terms in South Slavic, Bulgarian is basically an alien language

All about written languages:

Russian: 90% - but it's because I learnt the language
Ukrainian: 70%
Belarussian: irrelevant

Slovenian: 15%
Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin: 60% - but it's because I still learn this language (even though I'm an ethnic Croat)

Bulgarian-Macedonian: 15%

>Bulgarian is basically an alien language

Bulgarian has really alien grammar but it's vocabulary is mostly the same like in Russian, especially the more sophisticated one. It's because in 19th century Bulgarian was extremely mixed with Turkish and Bulgarian linguists after getting independence tried to replace Turkish words with Russian ones as they were more Slavic (kinda like Romanians replaced Slavic words with French equivalents). So if you know Russian, reading Bulgarian is quite an interesting experience, you see familiar words put in a totally incomprehensible sentence with weird endings and prespositions.

Check that and his channel
youtu.be/M8AxBY7d7G0

Ukrainian/Belorussian - looks understandable but they usually use some words from Polish or whatever and I can't understand that bullshit.

I do not understand others. May be if it would be written and in Cyrillic it would be easier but not as it goes. Polish is contained pre-historic sounds and pronunciation, Bulgarian has totally different grammar.

Attached: w.jpg (243x372, 25K)

Ukrainian/Belorussian - 70%+
Polish - 50%
rest - less than 30%.

Bulgarian macedonian, around 80%

Polish, czech and slovak maybe half. I could definitely hold some kind of basic conversation or ask for information, as long as it's something basic, but only if the other party speaks slow enough.

The russian group is without a doubt the most distant. I can understand very little, and sometimes I can't understand even the most basic sentences.

Slovak-mostly everything. They have some words that are completely different, but average person learns a lot of these through their lives due to inevitable interaction with slovaks
Polish-depends. Those who have little contact with them understand next to nothing. Those who interact with polaks can understand fairly well. The problem is with the spoken language. If re not familiar with it you hear only a cacophony of wierd sounds. If you listen to some polish, you will understand a fair bit. But usually only basic communication is possible without learning at least some polak.
East slavic-similar case as polak. If youre a bit accustomed to hearing it, you should always get at least the gist of their message
Yugospeak-sounds like language created by spavs with autism. From speech i can at most infer that it is a slav lingo. And witten text gives me headache 1 sentence in. Least understandable group

I understand a bit of Croatian but Serbian and Bosnian are totally unintelligible

t. majmunko

>Bulgarian is basically an alien language
This

Attached: why1.png (292x785, 228K)

>It's because in 19th century Bulgarian was extremely mixed with Turkish and Bulgarian linguists after getting independence tried to replace Turkish words with Russian ones as they were more Slavic
Uh wut?

>As a national revival occurred toward the end of the period of Ottoman rule (mostly during the 19th century), a modern Bulgarian literary language gradually emerged that drew heavily on Church Slavonic/Old Bulgarian (and to some extent on literary Russian, which had preserved many lexical items from Church Slavonic) and later reduced the number of Turkish and other Balkan loans.
>Russian loans are distinguished from Old Bulgarian ones on the basis of the presence of specifically Russian phonetic changes, as in oбopoт (turnover, rev), нeпoнятeн (incomprehensible), ядpo (nucleus) and others

Isn't the unpleasant truth for the Tatars, just like the fact that Macedonia is Serbian?

Ah it's you, pshek. Nevermind

>citing wikipedia is pshek propaganda

I know, butthurt Macedonians rewrite Bulgarian wikipedia for Serbian money

Lol, modern Bulgarians are so much butthurt on us, they can't even admit the historical facts.

east border of austria are not slovenes but gradišće croats who speak a dialect which is ironically one of the most "croatian" dialects because it's a mixture of chakavian, kajkavian and shtokavian dialects

all the world should speak Croatian

all balkan people speak and therefore can understand croatian

Our rulers should've kept the turkic language like Hungary.

>Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian 50%
>Polish-Czech-Slovak 40%
>Slovenian 60%
>Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin 100%
>Bulgarian-Macedonian 80%

Reminder that slavic languages are more similar to each other than Cantonese and Mandarin are.

For real?

Sa druge strane, nisam u toku, otkud ti crnogorska zastava?

kek

GIB SRBIAN GF RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: Srbian gf 0252.jpg (640x800, 41K)

Wow, what a sexy girl (male).

You are under arrest, Pagan Finno-Tatar mutt!

Attached: Srbian gf 0251.jpg (640x640, 35K)

>Russian: 85% - I am still learning Russian
>Ukrainian: 75%
>Slovenian: 100% ;)
>Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin LOL (ok lets face it its one language): 99,5%
>Bulgarian-Macedonian: 50%
>Czech-Slovak: I'd guess 40%

Attached: 266a54936301b0cfa048aed70d8e7610.png (728x1028, 227K)

Were Slovenians forced to learn Serbian in schools during Yugoslavian times?

Native Russian speaker here.
>UA/BY - 75%
>PL - 55%
>BG/MK - 45%
>HR/RS/BA/ME - 35%
>SI/CZ/SK - 25%

Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian - 35 %
Polish - (when speaking slowly 70 %)
Slovak - 100 %
Czech - native
Slovenian-Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin - 30 %
Bulgarian-Macedonian - 5 %

add + 10 % in reading

yes during SFRJ there was one year where our fathers learned serbo-croatian language

my generation, born after 1995 don't have this nonsense and we still are perfectly able to understand the lingo (not vice versa, Serbs and Croats struggle to understand Slovenian)

its one language now artificially divided for the memes..the differences are minor and only in vocabulary as Croatian uses less Turkish words, and Serbs use Cyrillic script along with Latin

Montenegrin and Bosnian(k) are really the ultimate artificial meme language constructs

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 12K)

>serbian-bosnian-croatian-montenegrin
lmfao this is some lgbtqp+ type nonsense
Its one language with some dialects
There's more difference between Croat dialects than there is between Serbian and """Montenegrin"''"

Can understand Hrvatsko Srpsko. Fuck Macedonian.
Check is easier to me then Slovak.
Polish Ukranian nope. Russian maybe every fifth word, they also speak to fast for me.

all people ITT tend to overestimate their abilities to understand other slavic languages

Ukrainian/Belorussian - can understand
Serbian and its dialects - too hard to understand
Czech/slovak - understandable but a lot of tricks aka false friends
Polish - same with cz/svk also the phonetics make it harder to understand
Slovenian - much more understandable than serbian
Bulgarian - it's easier to read it than listen to it

would totally agree

if you don't properly learn Russian or Polish as Slovenian native speaker its like any foreign language with just more words you recognize

Only Russian, Belarusian, Ukrainian and Polish. The other are almost complete ununderstandable.

>Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian
A little bit
>Polish-Czech-Slovak
Not at all
>Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin
Alright
>Bulgarian-Macedonian
Less than Serbo-Croatian but more than East Slavic

I can understand Belarusian and Ukrainian well, but other slavic languages are difficult for me. I can understand only similar words and all.

This.
MANY words may be recognizable by phonic/written similarities but may have completely different meanings

macedonian is the easiest because they speak with the same accent as us, the same intonation.
slovenians have a very weird accent but when you start picking it up, the vocabulary is 90% the same, and we understand everything.
i also heard that we can hold a conversation with slovaks knowing only croatian, and probably a very basic conversation with bulgarians and russians.
the ones that remain are too different, but we can probably understand 50% of the words in a text

If you learn the pronunciation and orthographic rules you are like 1/3 in already.

i cant talk to russians if they speak slowly, i understand every 3rd word and can have a basic conversation

poles, not so much, checks and slovaks too, id put them in the same basket, still, if they speak slowly, i would catch every 4rd work and find the context of their sentence
bulgarian and macedonian especially, is very familiar, same as serb with speech impediment

I actually find this really strange how similar Slavic languages are to each other. Croats and Poles haven't been living together for 1300 years and haven't had any contact since then yet our languages are still mostly mutually intelligible and you need little effort to learn the other language well.

Meanwhile, now think, that Proto-Indo-European is said to exist around 2500 BCE, while Proto-Slavic already emerged around 1000 BCE. So there was such a big change through 1500 years from Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Slavic, while little has changed between Slavic languages between ~700 CE and 2018. I wonder why.

Proto slavic IS proto inde european

Attached: 1488404727233.jpg (337x372, 17K)

Yeah, and Proto-Slavs fought against the alien invasion in vimanas, which is described in the Vedas

y-you know?

>0+2018
>he believe that our historical model is reliable.
youtu.be/eFkvozCxYW0

languages began to be written down and standardized and so change slowed down towards the end of the middle ages/start of modern age

I guess these "muh Slavs had a great empire that fought the Romans, Indians and aliens but due to NWO/German efforts no written sources about it remained" retarded "historians" are in every Slavic country. Especially Russia is full of them.

>languages began to be written down and standardized and so change slowed down towards the end of the middle ages/start of modern age

For some reason it didn't work for Latin and the languages that diverged from it. Even though Latin was well codified and a lot of people could read, still, just within 2-3 centuries after the Roman Empire collapsed, suddenly completely new languages emerged with grammar very different from Latin, much more than any Slavic language (except for Bulgarian) is different from each other.

I'm going to group them in a different way.
Czech and Slovak I understand 50-60%
Polish probably a bit less so let's say 50%
Slovene is definitely the most familiar slavic language since my dad is a native speaker of a kajkavian based dialect and is also fluent in Slovene although I only speak sthokavian (standard serb-cro dialect). I would say above 70% intelligible
Other Serbo-Croatian dialects are naturally super easy to understand but not perfect since sometimes I do find some words (more in Serbian than Bosnian) that I don't understand. +95% intelligible
Russian and Ukraine are definitely more alien than west slavic languages at around 30% intelligible.
Bulgarian, Macedonian and Belarusian I'm to unfamiliar with.

Corded Ware and Fatyanovo-Balanovo were Proto-Slavic. Perhaps proto-Balto-Slavic.

Slavic isn't a creole like German.

Attached: xCKp550.png (1183x688, 359K)

Romance languages are a result of celitc/gaullic/whatever tribes migrating into europe and influencing what was already called "vulgar latin"

So Slavs expanding into Southern and Eastern Europe also encountered a lot of tribes speaking different languages, yet they weren't really influenced by them. Does Serbo-Croatian have any significant Albanian, Dacian, Thracian, Greek, Hungarian influences? Not really.

The only grammar feature in Serbian (not even in Croatian) we can attribute to other languages impact is that they tend to use the construction da + verb instead of infinitive. All other grammar constructions in Serbian come from Proto-Slavic.

Comparing it to Romance languages, that had their grammar completely changed, it seems like nothing.

Opinions?

Attached: 2MsxnQu.png (2496x2664, 557K)

7 master race

Bulgars stole our language and now claim it's theirs.

Your language is Serbian

this actually is very interesting considering the genetic differences between slavic groups. we assimilated the native peoples but somehow took almost no linguistic influences from them

well looks like there's three languages that i definitely will never learn
some languages in the caucasus mountains have like 50 cases though, so those sound even more fun

but there is very little non slavic genes among all slavs except maybe russians and bulgarians

The Celts were already well established in Europe centuries before Vulgar Latin existed.

so from which tribe does this look come from?

Attached: b5719_262490_28054-b.jpg (1300x1788, 262K)

Hard to believe that somewhere around 600 CE Slavs were a small group of people living in the swamps in Belarus, while in 900 CE they already settled everywhere between the Elbe and the Volga or the Baltic Sea - the Aegean Sea, while they still had the same language with only small changes, despite various groups of Slavs travelled in different directions and encountered tens of different languages and had no contact with other Slavs.

And the more interesting thing is that no one knows what happened since no written source covers this period of history in this region. Slavs suddenly appear in Byzantine sources as a big, long established and well known tribe that poses a serious threat to the Byzantine Empire out of nowhere and at this time they're already everywhere in Eastern Europe.

you're right, pic related are the cunts i had in mind

Attached: stop he's already dead.png (1954x1362, 139K)

Finno-Ugric cases and Slavic cases work a bit differently
They are pretty much simple suffixes and much more regular than Slavic cases
What we use prepositions for, they have their 'case' for it

As an example
Table -> (Something is) on the table
In Czech you get Stůl -> Na stole (prepostion + case change)
In Hungarian you get Asztal -> Asztalon with -on being the suffix

the suffixes are also the same for every word so you learn that adding -on/-en/-ön means 'on' and it works for every word
the different variants of the suffix are because of vowel harmony which is simple once you get used to the concept

Whereas is Slavic languages, the same case has different endings based on the word gender and the paradigm
Pán -> bez Pána, Žena -> bez Ženy, Muž -> bez Muže etc.
It's all the same case but the ending is different
This doesn't really matter for natives but it must be a pain to learn this as a non-native

What slavic language is the most universally understandable in your opinion?

slovak ofc

Russian... - almost not at all only sometimes do I catch some word
Polish - kinda ok if slow
Czech - 100%
Slovenian... - kinda ok if very slow
Bulgarian... - idk never heard them

Slovak

>Polish-Czech-Slovak
50%
>Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian
60%
>Bulgarian-Macedonian
70%

yeah, slavic cases can be kinda redundant, macedonians just say "na stol" and nothing is lost

then there are also those verbs which confuse foreigners
proći kroz vrata
which means "go-through through the door"
i mean we could just say "proći vrata"

Actually we would say "na masa", stol means chair here.

stol (sto) - table
stolica - chair

why are w*stoids such caselets

actually stolica means feces, and chair should be stolac, but yeah, everybody calls it stolica (including me)

>>Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin LOL (ok lets face it its one language): 99,5%

I def can't understand it completely. I'd have to read a book in SC with a dictionary in hand. The other day a Croat on ex-yu says something about trljati mažu, and after a couple of minutes it dawns on me, 'ah, vtreti mažo', but it was only from context that I understood their word for 'to rub in'.

Da, stolica is also used besides stol.

i am a native of 2 languages ( Russian and Serbo-Croatian ) and I understand pretty much everything; Sometimes have troubles understanding Czech/Polish , Slovak is easy mode to understand

jebo bi te

>not ditching vocative

Interslavic

Post feets molim

Attached: 1398119699213n2k9r.jpg (1700x1748, 423K)

cec

>Does Serbo-Croatian have any significant Albanian, Dacian, Thracian, Greek, Hungarian influences? Not really.

I think the fact that every vowel in Serbocroatian tends to be A or U if at all possible has something to do with foreign influence. Turkish, maybe? What definitely is a Turkish feature is their putting of the stress in a word on the very first syllable even though it is usual in Slavic languages to skip accenting the first syllable if it is a preposition (na-, po-, za-, etc.). But no Slavic language renders the name Peter as Petar, that is a SC specialty.

youtu.be/dtKQJhJKI58

Okay, I'm not a native Slavic speaker (only know some Russian), but I can say that for some reason I find spoken Serbo-Croat really understandable. I mean, I may not understand word meanings, but at least I can understand where one word ends and another begins. I guess that Serbo-Croatian melody is somewhat similar to Lithuanian.

did you watch нy пaгaди as a kid also?

Oh yes , but for some reason I didn't like it that much! Eжик в тyмaнe was always my favourite!
in your past life you were Draza Mihajlovic , congrats!

youtube.com/watch?v=VpAgslp8xew

my sisters

Just phonetic orthography at work.

I wonder why the cases are even there when you still need prepositions for the meaning itself for most things
The word change seems more like a side effect

Put it on the table -> Polož to na stůl
You still need the preposition
Also here the case changes to Accusative but the word doesn't change at all

>Slavic languages to skip accenting the first syllable if it is a preposition (na-, po-, za-, etc.).
In Czech you treat most single syllable prepositions as the first syllable of the word that follows, so the preposition does get stressed

this is not the first time i hear this, we both pronounce words very clearly and melodically, like latin
youtube.com/watch?v=H-elyK2cnxI
i also make out individual words here

Too slow
youtube.com/watch?v=R6OlpeocASg

Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian are quite similar to each other, not because they're genetically close but because they're the more conservative branches.

>The word change seems more like a side effect
yeah, exactly, it sounds more poetic and less cavemanish
>Also here the case changes to Accusative but the word doesn't change at all
living nouns change in accusative, non-living stay the same
it's probably like that in all slavic languages

Some Orthodox priest says that pagan Slavs did have a customs similar to Indians such as Sati (killing a a widow after husband's death). I do not know was that for sure or just a just another priest's anti-pagan rant.

>Albanian
>influencing anything
It's an artificial language created by tribes who inhabited current Albania around 12th century

it was an arab writer from the 7th century and he said it for russians and serbs

I think pagan Slavs in this region actually worshiped women, it was a central figure. There were few female rulers like Teuta in 3rd century BC