ITT: tell about one or more creatures in your countrys mythology

ITT: tell about one or more creatures in your countrys mythology

Attached: IMG_3116.jpg (800x749, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisse_(folklore)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Naddaha
sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/23/5439920/bradleys-new-mascot-is-a-horrid-gargoyle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There were creatures with red skin that lived beyond the Appalachian mountains. They used primitive tools and warred with each other constantly. The Reds made no use of the lands where they resided and when we made attempts to settle there or trade with them we were met with such hostility the likes of which had never been seen before. They would shout like men gone mad and tore the scalps from their fallen enemies, some of whom were still alive as it happened. Our brave Longhunters fought the Reds and drove them back, making the land safe for settlers.

Attached: 100099489858.jpg (526x700, 194K)

Kullitar (literally Cockess or Cockette) is a maiden who helped heal bumps in your skin. She also helps grow cabbages

Para
>shapeshifter
>leaves a slimy trail on the ground (especially when changed shape to other animal/human/whatever form)

we don't have any

Mara
>Black troll who comes to sit on your chest when you sleep. He gives his victims nightmares

The Jarjacha.
Monster of the Peruvian Sierra half flame and man.
They were people who committed incest.

Attached: descarga (69).jpg (194x259, 6K)

Unikakkias (Sleep poopie)
>appears in your dream to show you where a hidden treasure is buried

Kiputyttö (Pain girl)
>relieves pain with spells

Itkettäjä (one who causes crying)
>makes babies cry at night

Why are Finns so primitive?

you're just jealous because you have no mythology, new world mutt

Kek

In my guild
My arch rival

Baba Yaga(Бaбa Ягa)
Just old-woman(babka(бaбкa)) which can spell magic.

Racist.

Attached: Loss of Indian Lands to White Settlement.jpg (960x720, 84K)

>flame

Attached: 1531169217005.jpg (446x460, 29K)

>flame
nice google translate bro

>half flame and man
???

Koshchei Bessmertnyi aka Koshchei the Immortal, a thin, bony old king who is immortal unless you break a needle with his soul hidden on a remote island in a chest. Basically a lich with a phylactery.

Attached: bafa6a4b7997.jpg (500x379, 25K)

Back in Roman days, in the end of the Schelde (Scaldis in Latin) river there lived a terrible giant called Druon Antigoon. He would make sea-faring merchants who wanted to cross pay a toll, and if they couldn't pay it he would chop off your hand and throw it in the water.

This had been going on for a very long time, until the Romans came, and one of the Romans, a legionnaire called Silvius Brabo one day said enough was enough, and engaged the giant in battle. We know not how, but he won the battle, and managed as revenge to cut off the giants's hand into the water.

The settlement there grew out to the city of Antwerpen, which is a combination of (H)ant (hand) + Werpen, litt. "throwing hands". The province in which the city is situated is to this day called Brabant, after the legionnaire Silvius Brabo.

So now you see we always had a thing for chopping off hands. Pic related, there is a statue in the city of Antwerp of Brabo throwing the giant's hand away.

Attached: silvius brabo.jpg (220x330, 26K)

btw if you see a connection between Druon and druids you are correct, these giants, whose bones are found all over the world, were the druons, the descendents of the nephilim evil giants, and the druids were the ones who received their teachings;

The Banshee (from old Irish, ben síde, meaning woman of the fairy mound) is a female spirit who heralds death with her loud and mournful wailing, which can be so piercing that it shatters glass. In some stories, the cries of the Banshee serve as a warning to those who hear it that their death is near. In others, the Banshee's cries announce the death of a family member. It is often said that Banshees only cry for those of pure Gaelic blood, whose surnames typically begin with O' or Mc. When multiple banshees appear at once, it signifies the death of someone great or holy.

Attached: image.jpg (400x271, 58K)

based and redpilled
seriously, fuck nomads

Il-Wajju is a disfigured man, with a rough face that looks like the surface of the moon. He's permanently heartbroken, and can be seen dragging his malformed body along Malta's streets during the night. Some say that his condition is due to a disease while others say that he's the human embodiment of the moon's spirit.

Attached: wajju.png (553x787, 1.17M)

There was a man in some town in Pennsylvania whose face was burned off by a power line as a child who would take walks at night and became an urban legend. It's more tragic than anything else

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the origins of this guy are something similar to what you've mentioned.

bump

You don't own the land if you aren't settling and improving it.

wendigo is basically a flesh-eating zombie, but far more disfigured and more implications of cannibalism (whereas voodoo zombies are considered non-human)

Attached: file.png (344x480, 359K)

>Huns
>Mongols
>Turks
>Xiongnu
>African bushmen
>Comanches
you know, I agree actually, nomads are cancer on c i v i l i z a t i o n

Attached: american french cooperation.jpg (1024x768, 224K)

Except for the myth that inspired Santa Claus and his elves

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisse_(folklore)

Fuck Antwerpen.

Gargoyle/Gargouille
>A French legend that sprang up around the name of St. Romanus (French: Romain; fl. c.631 – 641 AD), the former chancellor of the Merovingian king Clotaire II who was made bishop of Rouen, relates how he delivered the country around Rouen from a monster called Gargouille or Goji.[6][7] La Gargouille is said to have been the typical dragon with bat-like wings, a long neck, and the ability to breathe fire from its mouth. Multiple versions of the story are given, either that St. Romanus subdued the creature with a crucifix, or he captured the creature with the help of the only volunteer, a condemned man. In each, the monster is led back to Rouen and burned, but its head and neck would not burn due to being tempered by its own fire breath. The head was then mounted on the walls of the newly built church to scare off evil spirits, and used for protection.[8] In commemoration of St. Romain, the Archbishops of Rouen were granted the right to set a prisoner free on the day that the reliquary of the saint was carried in procession (see details at Rouen).[9][10]

Attached: Notre-Dame_Rzygacze.jpg (2227x3004, 867K)

Ever since Disney's "Beauty and the Beast," gargoyles have been enshrined in American culture

Too bad we don't really have many cathedrals to place them on. Here is Washington National Cathedral with one

Attached: file.png (686x576, 710K)

That's a nice gargoyle

My grandad told the story of 'La Siguanaba' to my mom and her siblings.
>She appears at first like a very pretty lady to men, mainly if they are alone at night and intoxicated with one too many Trenzudas (local type of sugarcane liquor)
>she shows up near rivers washing clothes like people do here in rural areas.
>She asks the men if she can ride with them on horse, she needs the ride.
>they agree cuz why not? such a pretty lady in distress with no other means of transportation etc etc
>suddenly while going their way on the horse the man feels the grip of the lady getting stronger, her nails sinking in his skin
>he turns to see her
>she is hideous now, unkempt hair cackling diabolically not letting go of him, even if he tries to get her off the horse.
>Then the men just appear wherever they reside, and they have gone mad after the experience.

Attached: Siguanaba.jpg (311x334, 95K)

Liekkiö. It is an elf-like spirit/ghost of an unbaptized bastard child. It can show itself in the form of a naked little child, or as a glowing ghostbird. It is usually harmless, but it can frighten you, if you're mentally weak. You can usually drive it away by asking whether or not "he was there when the Christ was crucified.

Attached: DL8F9MsWAAExTzZ.jpg (850x600, 186K)

El cadejo (ghost dog/s)
>two types: black one tends to be depicted as evil one, sent by satan
>white one good, send by good old god of course.
>when you hear it like it is close to you it's actually far, and if you hear it as if it is far away, it is actually very close to you.
>appear at night mainly
>depending the color of doggo you get to see, something good or bad will happen to you.
>black one tends to appear to drunks or people that do bad deeds.
>white one a protector of goody goodies.
They pretty much just lurk don't physically attack as far as I remember. They are an omen of things to come I guess.

Attached: el-cadejo-leyenda.jpg (480x310, 19K)

>when you hear it like it is close to you it's actually far, and if you hear it as if it is far away, it is actually very close to you.

Isn't there another South American legend which has a same type of gimmick? If I remember correctly, that creature was called "The Whistler".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Naddaha

Must be 'El Silbón' the one that kidnaps naughty children and puts them in a sack or something. I didn't know he did that thing as well.

Finnish legends tell that at nigh, places with hidden treasures reveal themselves with dancing flames/will'o'wisp-like spirits which float above treasures.
These treasures may be guarded by spirits or haltija, and may accessed only after a sacrificial gift.

Attached: aarnihauta.jpg (1200x1200, 421K)

My university mascot actually got replaced with a gargoyle, although not when I attended. It used to be "braves," as in a native American warrior. Apparently due to PC culture, the replacements were either going to be a squirrel or a gargoyle. I'm halfway-glad that they went with a gargoyle, but at the same time... the depiction is far too cartoonish for me
(post following up)

Attached: Bradley Gargoyle.jpg (945x602, 70K)

Actually it seems there's an article, so I'll just link it (I'm sorry France)

sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/23/5439920/bradleys-new-mascot-is-a-horrid-gargoyle

Attached: file.png (483x491, 424K)

Sounds like leprechauns

I thought that one was exclusively Costa Rican

But that was Aztland!!
Right wetbacks???

Attached: retard.png (645x773, 251K)

>>when you hear it like it is close to you it's actually far, and if you hear it as if it is far away, it is actually very close to you.
Did El Salvador invent side-view mirrors on cars?

>Taken
conquered. you would know, since Sweden and Russia took territory from you, both

somehow Europe gets away with bitching about American and Israeli landgrabs yet you ignore your history of 0-1945 AD

Päivätär and Kuutar were the Goddesses/Spirits of the Sun and Day, (the former) and the Moon (the latter). They could be seen to knit clothes of silver and gold in the sky. Young women prayed to them for beautiful luxury items.

Attached: päivätär ja kuutar.jpg (2481x3508, 504K)

Antero Vipunen is a very old gigantic tietäjä/shaman, who has slept for so long, that nature has began to grow on his body. Vipunen once swallowed Väinämöinen, the shamanistic god-hero, himself, although Väinämöinen escaped by banging a stick very hard in Vipunen's belly. Vipunen knows many old magic poems, so many shamans have tried to find his location with no luck.

Attached: e28da931cfa3d81b5d38a481b8800cba.jpg (1024x707, 138K)

Cute!

Mexico and Central America, apparently. Some stuff changes for the other countries I imagine.

Boto-cor-de-Rosa (Amazon river dolphin) is a myth about a species of dolphins that turn into handsome men during a full moon. They usually come around on the festivities of June that happen here. They dress all in white and wear a hat to hide the nostril on top of their head, they do that so they can find a hot woman and impregnate her. On the next day he goes back to being a dolphin, abandoning the woman.

Attached: Boto.png (1024x530, 965K)

There was a Wild Thornberry's episode about this. I think it turned into a woman though.

The original Langsuir (whose embodiment is supposed to be a kind of night-owl) is described as being a woman of dazzling beauty, who died from the shock of hearing that her child was stillborn, and had taken the shape of the Pontianak. On hearing this terrible news, she “clapped her hands,” and without further warning “flew whinnying away to a tree, upon which she perched.” She may be known by her robe of green, by her tapering nails of extraordinary length (a mark of beauty), and by the long jet black tresses which she allows to fall down to her ankles—only, alas! (for the truth must be told) in order to conceal the hole in the back of her neck through which she sucks the blood of children! These vampire-like proclivities of hers may, however, be successfully combated if the right means are adopted, for if you are able to catch her, cut short her nails and luxuriant tresses, and stuff them into the hole in her neck, she will become tame and indistinguishable from an ordinary woman, remaining so for years. Cases have been known, indeed, in which she has become a wife and a mother, until she was allowed to dance at a village merry-making, when she at once reverted to her ghostly form, and flew off into the dark and gloomy forest from whence she came.

Attached: langsuir.jpg (300x240, 15K)

The most feared type of Irish fairy was the púca. They are shapeshifters, who can take the form of dogs, rabbits, eagles, goats, goblins or even old men, but most commonly appear as dark horses. Although they are not explicitly malevolent, púcas are known for wreaking havoc at night, destroying property and crops, and frightening both livestock and people. Farmers usually leave a portion of their harvest aside to keep them satisfied. Púcas also have the ability to speak with humans. In their equestrian form, they will often invite people onto their backs and then take them on long, terrifying rides throughout the countryside.

The only person who ever managed to ride a púca without falling off was the legendary high king of Ireland, Brian Ború. Using a special bridle containing three hairs from the pooka's tail, Brian managed to control the magic horse and stay on its back until, exhausted, it surrendered to his will. The Pooka promised Brian Boru two things: firstly, that it would no longer torment Christian people and ruin their property and secondly, that it would never again attack an Irishmen except those who are drunk or abroad with an evil intent. The spirit kept the promises but only over the intervening years. Later, it seems to have forgotten its bargain and began its attacks on properties and travelers on their way home and so it continues to this day.

Attached: IMG_2042.jpg (1024x768, 222K)

Attached: 1509893392681.jpg (600x583, 130K)