English is a Germanic language

>English is a Germanic language

Attached: 1510647115331.png (1370x1388, 1.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencenordic.com/english-scandinavian-language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages
anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Main_leaf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hej
Hey

beef
boeuf

Sokoly

allow me to CRITIQUE this post

Interesting article explaining a theory that English is a Scandinavian language. I makes sense in terms of Syntax. I studied German for 3 years and the Nordic languages have a more similar grammar structure.

sciencenordic.com/english-scandinavian-language

then why does german take less hours to learn than scandi?

German is 50% Swedish and 50% English.

>sciencenordic.com
>English is a Scandinavian language

Attached: 1479887906001.jpg (1500x1515, 712K)

>/sciencenordic.com
Nice source

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages

It's the adjective endings that make German difficult.

That cant be true

>wikipedia
Nice source

I think English words - meaning words that come from Old English or from Old Norse, are the best we have. They are easy to read, speak, and on the whole understand. If writers begin to get away from this widely-held belief, that somehow words of outside stock are better than the ones we've had for thousands of years, we will be in a much better spot. Indeed, it's not hard at all to make your meaning known without having to fall back on outside words. One must only look to the words I have chosen, and see that you understood what I meant without having to think hard, wear-out your mind, or, as often happens, guess the meaning of a word. We have been bequeathed from our forebears a great richness; one that we should hold dear and shield from those outside bodies that threaten its freedom.

All of the above words come from Old English/Old Norse.

As people often point out, one of Churchill's finest oratory moments, "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender", contained only one word without an Old English root - 'surrender', from the Norman French...

is german like old english where adjectives have two endings, strong and weak, for declension and they're used in different scenarios?
adjectives in old english are hard af, there are practically 10 cases, plust number and gender, so essentially adjectives have up to 60 forms in old english
english got raped by viKANGZ, and when it did the verb conjugation system was practically lost and the grammar became ooga booga tier like swedish, norwegian, and danish. I don't agree with that other guy, english is clearly an Anglo-Frisian north west germanic language but it's hard to deny that viKANGZ had a large (negative) effect on the language.

example of what I was talking about

Attached: good.png (398x539, 69K)

Yes that is exactly what German does. Der, Die, Das is a bitch to deal with.

Triggered?

Attached: trollface (1).jpg (640x640, 42K)

it's a bitch to learn but it makes using the language better
imo there's a goldilocks zone for declension, some languages go too far (like finnish) and some don't go far enough (like m*Dern english) but some are just right (like old english, latin, german, and arabic)

German has just enough declension to weed out the brainlets.

No fucking way...I also studied german in college and it's one of the hardest germanic languages.

The bonus is it's almost like the Latin of germanic languages...if you know German and English you can quickly decipher almost any germanic language.

>surrender
>from Norman French

Heh

Yes not an amerifat language

BASED

I failed the fuck out of learning German
trying French now and it feels much more natural. The word order is different but not as different as German. And even though most articles are completely different because theres so many common bigger words you can get context more easily.

I'm all for the reversion of English to a purer germanic version. That will only deter its prestige in the Latin part of Europe, the most influential in cultural matters, and secure its rapid decline as lingua franca of the free world.
French, Spanish, Italian or Latin (ecclesiastical) are all preferable to anglais.

this just means english got frenched

yeah but i mean the english that got French was already the krauted version

no, just like they didn't leave much of a genetic trace, neither did their language. wtf is it with anglos who feel the need to wewuz as scandi subhumans?

The scandi languages conjugate their verbs too, dumb American

>cow
>cow

Why don't you all just stop with the romance words and speak anglish
Even weirder to see how many french words the english have despite how much they hate french

>Why don't you all just stop with the romance words and speak anglish
anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Main_leaf

>Even weirder to see how many french words the english have despite how much they hate french
Yeah I wonder why it would be related to imperialism you fucking fascist.

>Yeah I wonder why it would be related to imperialism you fucking fascist.
What

1066 was imperialism.
Monarchy is basically fascism.
2+2

>Germany
>Deutschland

lole

would clear up a lot of confusion when people who aren't familiar with what germanic means just assume it means german.

You are retarded sorry

>why does English have French words
>*stabs you with longswords and installs castles to oppress your population*
fuck off Frank

This

the average englishman is 10% scandinavian and the english language owes it's entire grammar and sentence structure to old norse

anglistika.upol.cz/vikings2014/

I don't know whether I should continue learning Dutch or moving to learn Germany instead.

Although I think the Netherlands is a superior country to G*rmany, it is probably more useful to learn German until Germany gets kicked out of the Eurozone.

Dutch is useless, theirvown people will all speak English anyway in 30 years
German has more dignity at least

Normans weren't French

Francophones