Your country

>your country
>your national book that represents the literature of your country
For Spain its Don Quixote

Attached: 250px-Don_Quijote_and_Sancho_Panza.jpg (250x346, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/Great-American-Novel.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimskringla
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A chronicle of pre-crusades history called Kalevipoeg.

Crime and punishment, by Dostoevsky

the canterbury tales

Goosebumps :)

>Ireland
>Despite an abundance of literature, I don't think we really have a 'national' book. Perhaps our regional cultures are too different for a unitary experience for literature.

>a book written by a Dutchman
Hmmmm

Eneyida by Kotliarevsky, if you wanna get classic literature with whole bunch obscene saynigs try this.
Children in Ukraine must learn text where word "whore" is in every third sentence.

I have no mouth and I must scream

I don't know maybe something by Steinback, Hemingway or Twain. We don't have an epic and a lot of our authors are specific to the brief time period they lived in.

norwegian folktales :^)

Attached: nfe.png (840x1380, 2.28M)

What about Ulysses?

Gotta be the Divine Comedy by Dante

The most well-known one would be Shirish ko phool(The Blue Mimosa)

Attached: 220px-Shirish_ko_Phool.jpg (220x344, 28K)

Don't you guys have the Ulster Cycle?

How about Moby Dick?

Attached: ss.jpg (512x384, 36K)

id say the adventures of tom sawyer is the most recognizable one

When I was in St Petersburg, my tour guide told me that actually Russians don't care too much for Dostoevsky, and much prefer Gogol. So he said Dead Souls is a much better book to represent Russia - is it true?

I guess in Spain that might be, but that's not the view in the US. If it is a Twain book at all, it would probably be Huckleberry Finn. Tom Sawyer is considered to be more for children.

It might be Moby Dick.

oh yes, huckleberry finn, i always mess up with the other one. both are very good representatives of american literature id say
i wonder if theres any info on whats the most recognized novel of each country according to foreigners

Siegfried the dragon slayer.

Actually russians dont care about all their literature. It read in school and nevermore.

For Spain, in the US it's definitely Don Quixote. Maybe La Celestina and Lazarillo would be 2nd and 3rd if they are somewhat familiar with classic Spanish literature, but far more people would know of Don Quixote than the other two.

Is Gogol's Ukrainian stuff considered part of the national canon in Ukraine? I've only read his Russian stuff (in translation)

I doubt since he was pro-russian even in his Ukrainian works

>La Celestina
odd, theater plays are not very popular

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo

Great Gatsby

for US it's comics
zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/Great-American-Novel.html

Attached: 1478756497216.jpg (855x442, 125K)

This
Also could be The Mangy Parrot or The labyrinth of solitude.

idk, the national epic poem I guess.

Attached: BENITO-MUSSOLINI-LA-DOTTRINA-DEL-FASCISMO-Sansoni.jpg (299x400, 18K)

What happened

Your guide lied about Dostoevsky, but about Gogol's Dead Souls it's true yes.

I don't know, maybe Tradiciones peruanas by Ricardo Palma.

The Knight in the Panther's Skin

poor mans brueder grim

Gorky is the best to represent common rural russians. Chekhov, Tolstoy, Turgenev and Dostoevsky to represent elites and some specific classes. Russian literature is huge and full of wisdom actually. I cant say that someone is better than other. They all greatly contributed. I personally like dark Dostoyevsky vibes.

Martín Fierro, argies usually quote it. The story of an antisocial gaucho, the country modernization in the late XIX and the loss of the past, indians fucking shits, the individual vs the government etc.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (526x296, 46K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied
it's our national epos, not sure if it really does represent German literature though (or if you could even point out one book that does)

Attached: 284237-emp.jpg (554x709, 130K)

Personally I’d say The Adventures of Huck Finn. You could argue for Moby Dick or something by Faulkner too.

A Confederacy of Dunces unequivocally

If you've read it you know what I mean

Attached: dunces.jpg (1602x2424, 1.94M)

my diary desu

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance was vastly better, m8.

Zen is definitely a piece of good Americana

I'd argue for A Confederacy because of it's truth in showing American life for the modern era and it's roots

Nosov - Dunno on the moon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimskringla
our national epos, but it's written in old norse, not norwegian

Let me read it please

It's hard to choose between this, Baltagul, Moromeții and Cel mai iubit dintre pământeni, but of them, this is my favorite.

Attached: ion-liviu-rebreanu.jpg (1533x2299, 728K)

Pure gold

Attached: literatura patricia.jpg (352x500, 44K)

underrated post

hary poter

Attached: db909b425e8568a6c49db178bd07d6d2--book-covers-alexandria.jpg (254x402, 22K)

Moby-Dick or Huckleberry Finn

This one maybe? Don't know, we don't have many good books

Attached: descarga (3).jpg (197x255, 12K)

Not sure, there are too many. If I wanted to be elitist I'd say In search of lost time.

Attached: 2018_02_13__13_16_quasimodo.jpg (352x272, 26K)