People from non-Anglo countries: when you were taught English at school, were you taught American or British English?

People from non-Anglo countries: when you were taught English at school, were you taught American or British English?

Attached: Eagle Flag.jpg (473x355, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_spelling_reform#19th_century
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board
vocaroo.com/i/s1oVOakduRub
vocaroo.com/i/s1JgJcLMzcda
twitter.com/AnonBabble

French english aka if you don't know a word just use the french word instead

Attached: 1535274545143.jpg (480x489, 23K)

British English but everyone uses American English anyway since that's what on TV and in games.

English from the UK of course, we learn the original language.
What's next? French from the Congo? Spanish from Mexico? Portuguese from Brazil? Lmao

British english

British english

>we learn the original language.
American English is actually more conservative.
>Spanish from Mexico?
That's usually what we learn though. Occasionally Puerto Rico/Cuba.

British

British

Attached: 1452154534543.png (565x396, 142K)

We learn British english but everyone ends up speaking American english because of Netflix

Either way, British english sounds better

Sorry if I'm being retarded, but what are you trying to convey?

American English, even though my teachers were English, Irish and South African

We had a plaque in class with British versions of American English words like lorry instead of track

>South African
Are there a lot of Afrikaaners in Israel or something?

>American English is actually more conservative.
Why do Americans keep saying this? It's the complete opposite of reality, Americans have been pushing for an English reform for centuries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_spelling_reform#19th_century

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board

british, our books were filled with LONDON and alike

Not a lot but I had two South African English teachers and knew some others

I'm not talking about spelling, I'm talking about phonology. We all know that Webster tweaked a bunch of spellings post-independence.

Do you think r has always been silent in words like "father"? Do you think "trap" and "bath" always had different vowels? Do you think "law and order" always had an r sound in the middle?

Okay, just curious.

British english

you realise not all British accents are non-rhotic? that the accent you're thinking of is confined to the south east?

British, although I think our teacher couldn't speak English properly herself so it matters little.

Do other Americans have a year of school called Brit Lit where we just read British books?
I mean that’s all we did in English. Wuthering Heights and Charles Dickens and stuff.

I grew up reading British books and thought I knew British English really well but when I got there I was still surprised by random shit
The biggest difference isn’t words or pronunciations but sayings like “top up” instead of “fill up” or “mind the gap” etc.

It was easy for me to pick up but my boomer parents were constantly mystified

I didn't have that in high school, but I did have college classes about British lit.

Yeah, I think we did that junior year.

British English which everybody thinks is stupid to pronounce.
Except for dumb girls who spent a few months on the island and try to emulate that dumb accent for no good reason.

Actually not a bad way to do it, as long as you change pronunciation.

t. studied a lot of french

Gringo English

My books were british but the media I consumed was american. I studied it when I was really young so it kinda stuck and I no longer think in Arabic unless I am furious or something.

British ofc

This

How is life in SA right now? You are at war with Yemen, right?

It's somehow both lol

Does that make it hard to speak to other Egyptians? I assume English isn't common.

>How is life in SA right now?
Boring.
>You are at war with Yemen, right?
I am not saudi. I was born here but I am not Saudi nor do I feel attached to this country honestly. But yes, KSA is at war with the houthis whom are concentrated in northern yemen.

I can still speak my dialect well enough. Its just that my classic arabic is pretty dumpster-tier currently.

British english, which explain my thick British accent

vocaroo pls

Odd. I'm an American and I learnt British English.

British. Now i speak a disgusting mix of both.

British mainly but they do teach us about the differences in English depending on the country it's used in.
also;
>America
>Anglo

vocaroo.com/i/s1oVOakduRub

oh shit that's much better than I was expecting

thanks i guess

Why do Americans think a few pointless spelling differences constitutes a dialect?

Thats an interesting accent for a frog

American English.
French French.
Spanish is very inconsistent though.
Also, nobody here cares about Iberian Portuguese.

Not really

what the fuck

British. Pants were trousers.

MEC pushes the teaching of british english here
most people that learn portuguese learn the brazilian variant

people in the us learn Mexican Spanish

br*tish but I use American anyway

I hope this post was ironic.
You have different dialects within England.
t. been all over the UK

Attached: A26BC515-0FDE-4973-82C5-5D7CE74330AC.jpg (200x200, 12K)

theres are lots of jews in South Africa, and half white South Africans are anglo anyway
fuck off just because you're rhotic doesn't make it closer. Have you heard reconstructions of shit like Shakespeare? it sounds more like west country or even a bit irish nothing like American

But mixing both is the best version of English

I was taught Australian.

British

you should look up the Tangier Island dialect if you want to hear a coelacanth of an accent

vocaroo.com/i/s1JgJcLMzcda

It was offered as an elective.

American English with thick russian accent by books that supposedly teach British. Vast majority of people forget what they were taught in schools. Most of the posters on Jow Forums have learned it from video games and movies. For example, these similar words are in everyone's vocabulary:
Annihilate
Obliterate
Eviscerate
Devastate
Nullify
Evaporate
Disintegrate
Destroy
Level
Explode
But, some simple words, like "comb", "hinge", "fiancé" - give us trouble.

Attached: 0688458.jpg (289x400, 31K)