Is freedom of speech a concept from American culture or do other cultures share it as well?

Is freedom of speech a concept from American culture or do other cultures share it as well?

Attached: extreme free speech.png (639x871, 472K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrall
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The idea comes from European Enlightenment philosophers, as does most of our system of rights. US was one of the first countries to implement such a thing, though.

mostly an American construct

I think that's because America is built on a distilled Western culture circa 200-300 years ago, when Westerners were quite taken with their new 'liberal' ideas but also didn't mind slavery. so part of this culture becase frozen in your founding documents

the way I see it you guys enshrined freedom of speech but that left you in a weird position with regards to hate speech. this gives your societies difficulties now when you're struggling to integrate nationalities that weren't guaranteed to be treated as fully human 80 years ago.

it does'nt make sense, given how americans then had a very selective view of who counts as people (and still do, they just pretend it's only a joke)

>extreme free speech group
every time

didn't they do something like this in the Netherlands too?

I don't know, but a Dutch politician was at the event and took a pic with the manlet swat security

>... that left you in a weird position with regards to hate speech. this gives your societies difficulties now when you're struggling to integrate nationalities that weren't guaranteed to be treated as fully human 80 years ago.

Very funny.

How does the Russian approach differ anyhow?

>Extreme free speech group

Seriously what does that even mean.

I think some poster summarized russia pretty well being a biker gang, but the russians don't view themselves as saviours of humanity or as having the only inherent goal of manifest destiny, whereas america does

You are aware there are limitations to every right out there? Americans have the rigth to bear arms but they cannot own nukes nor can convicted felons own guns. Yet the right to bear arms is there too.
And the idea behind freedom of speech comes from the European enlightenment of which many ideas made it across the pond.
IRL libtard trollers

>(((hate speech)))

They show pictures of Muhammad and don't even apologize

having reasonable hate speech laws?

it's common sence that 'hate speech safe spaces' like what's going on in OP pic are not alright. insult religion that millions of Russians hold dear, and you'll get wrecked, if not by your fellow citizens, then by the state.

this understanding in society grew naturally, since it's like 500 years ago that we've had regions in our country that mostly practise Islam and Buddhism. Somehow, respect for other cultures was a natural part of Russia, so now that in the West the pendulum swings the other way around, we manage without banning words in our language or without stuff like affirmative action, and we can make mokey jokes and racially charged comedy sketches that nobody finds offensive but that won't fly in the west. but if you get naked in a chirch and shit on the floor, you'll get jail time. works alright

Attached: 09085_20111107_122021.jpg (850x451, 102K)

>it's common sence that 'hate speech safe spaces' like what's going on in OP pic are not alright
That is not a hate speech safe place you moron. Religions should never be above criticism and ridicule. That's how you get ISIS.

> insult religion that millions of Russians hold dear, and you'll get wrecked, if not by your fellow citizens, then by the state.
You're mistaking blasphemy laws with hate speech you dumb fucking """""Russian"""""".
Religion is something you choose to believe in, as opposed to somebody's race, sex, or sexuality which they're born into.
I can tell you're a Chechen muzzie just by the way you're writing.

Attached: 1526465452251.png (402x398, 126K)

>Religion is something you choose to believe in, as opposed to somebody's race, sex, or sexuality which they're born into.
Are you a protestant?

Yeah, just don't insult the bible m8.

I mean, you can leave a religion, no matter how controversial it might be.

You can leave your sex too.
99.9% of religious people on the planet were born into it.

Nordics never had slavery.

Are you not?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrall

Protestants are the only group of people that massively left their religion. All the others, in particular Orthodox people, stick with it disregarding if they have any faith whatsoever.

Nah, I'm kinda an atheist. I'd like to believe in a higher power and I'd be the happiest man on the planet if there was an afterlife.
But I don't think that's the case.

>I mean, you can leave a religion, no matter how controversial it might be.
Unless it's Islam. In which case you're branded a heretic and killed.

>99.9% of religious people on the planet were born into it.
Stop lying. Nobody is born into religion. People are taught that.

>Stop lying. Nobody is born into religion. People are taught that.
If that were true all countries on earth would be full of people of different religions, idiot.

Based churka

No answer. Nudels activated.

You can leave a religion, while I quite literally cannot swap organs or brains to become a woman.

>If that were true all countries on earth would be full of people of different religions, idiot.

and they are? are you not aware of that?

>Is freedom of speech a concept from American culture or do other cultures share it as well?
No, freedom of speech and expression are old Greek concepts. USA is the first country founded on the ideas though.

>If that were true all countries on earth would be full of people of different religions, idiot.
user....

Attached: 1349738717849.png (446x400, 390K)

>and they are? are you not aware of that?
Poland is like 90% catholic. Saudi-Arabia is 99% Muslim. It's almost as if people exclusively adopt the local religion, like they are born into it.

No theyre not

>You can leave your sex too.
Okay, xer

Attached: laughing face.jpg (250x241, 11K)

Certifiable bullshit

Why don't people in Hungary while growing up decide to become Hindu? Or Buddhist? And why does every person in Saudi-Arabia 'choose' to become Muslim?
You don't think perhaps they are actually born into their religion?

90% and 99% is not 100%, and just because some people have majority religions does not preclude those that have various religions (China, America, Russia, India, etc.)

back in my university they tried to teach us 'freedom of speech' in philosophy class after preaching about how great communism was, i laughed and walked out the door, never attended another class, i failed the class and dropped out some time later. be glad you don't have mandatory politics classes.

Even in China and Russia religion is almost completely following ethnic lines. ie Tatars and Chechens who are almost exclusively Muslim while Slavic Russians are Orthodox.

>Protestants are the only group of people that massively left their religion
It’s also far and away the fastest growing branch of Christianity, virtually every non-Christian foreigner nowadays and even a lot of Catholics convert exclusively to some evangelical Protestant sect.

>Why don't people in Hungary while growing up decide to become Hindu? Or Buddhist?
Some do
>And why does every person in Saudi-Arabia 'choose' to become Muslim?
Cuz you're killed if you don't
>You don't think perhaps they are actually born into their religion?
Nope. This

again almost is not 100%, people can be born into religions but choose to leave it, although societal factors mean no alot of people do, but it does not mean it is not impossible.

but me putting up makeup and cutting off my dick will not allow me to have children or ovulate

Attached: DfYhp4HUEAAgGb0.jpg (1200x848, 199K)

In the Netherlands 99.9% of Hindus are people from India and Suriname. 99% of Muslims are MENAs and Christians are Dutch, Carribean black or African black.

Why does it seem like religion follows ethnic lines? Is it perhaps because these people are born into their religion? Why don't you see 2 Muslim parents have a Christian kid?

For a lot of people leaving their religion means leaving their family and friends. It's not a fair choice and it's stupid to tell them 'just leave ur religion bro lol like tell your parents to go fuck themselves and become octracized from society dude'

>Why don't you see 2 Muslim parents have a Christian kid?
Actually this kid in my school was born as a muslim but then him and his mom converted to Protestantism after she divorced him for beating her and he went home to Lebanon.

And I'm sure she found someone from her new church community willing to help her raise her kid

but again that's not my arguement, I merely said leaving a religion is possible, not that it would be without consequences or backlash.

Are you retarded? If a baby is born and then immediately put into total isolation for 20 years they're still going to be male/female and whatever ethnicity their parents were but they're not going to be religious or speak any language because they were never taught these things. The fact you think these are directly comparable is ridiculous.

You said that being religious is a choice while I'm pointing out that for most people it's a direct result of their upbringing. At no point were they ever asked if they really wanted to be a religious person.
You're taking this too serious, pal. He said you cannot change your sex and I made a joke saying you can.

but at some point of your life you can choose if you want to be religious or not.

I mean, there are plenty of muslims that probably pay lip service to islam just to keep their parents happy.

uhmmm.

>For a lot of people leaving their religion means leaving their family and friends.
Why would it mean that? Nobody cares about what you believe in, in civilized societies.

Attached: hungary.png (1434x702, 171K)

Good to know you were merely pretending.

Yeah she remarried to a widower from the church, guy who owns a local landscaping business. Apparently real nice with the kid, he always said the guy treated him like his own real son.

they will offend you LIBTARD and you will take it, free speech means i get to call people niggers in an alley in detroit and walk away freely something a LIBTARD cuck snowflake will never experience.

>Why would it mean that? Nobody cares about what you believe in, in civilized societies.
You don't really believe that do you now?
Within calvinist communities, people that work very hard and are all upstanding members of society, you cannot just leave your religion and have nobody care about it.
Go rek some feminists on twitter.

Huurrrrr if u hurt mah feelings with ur words u go to jail

Stupid amerikkkan extremusts

Go be peer pressured into your beliefs ;^)

pic related

Proud upstanding white Christians telling them libs and widows how they feel about them

Attached: f5127d-20101006-sara-phelps[1].jpg (1000x604, 111K)

>You don't really believe that do you now?
I do. I could convert to Hinduism tomorrow and nobody in my family/friends would bat an eye. It's the same for all of us in Hungary. Because it's nobody's business what you believing but your own.

Maybe there's something wrong with your family because mind would try to get me examined.

Hate speech should 100% be legal. So should flag burning. Hell, it’s not a constitutional issue, but people should get over football players kneeling during the national anthem. Don’t like the sentiment being expressed? Cool, formulate a response. Try and tell other people what not to say? Fuck you.

People doing strange, extreme things to make a point.

I'm pretty sure getting killed for changing religions is a bit much

Hurr if you hold a sign that offends me u go 2 jail :^( me no likey bad sign and mouth word

Not particularly strange or extreme to rebuke mohammed, who was a mass murdering delusional psychopath who consummated his marriage with aisha when she was 9 and tells his followers to commit jihad even if it means using taqiyya

Can you imagine if Jesus did the same thing?

Is that like how Jews identify as Jews, even if they lead secular lives?

>is it a concept from American culture
no
>do other cultures share it as well
some do

>mfw the warchief was enslaved by sw*des

Just kill yourself if youre going to be this obtuse

but the NFL is a private entity, so they can stop employed players from saying whatever. Just like you can get fired for calling someone a racial epithet, even if it's completely legal

Right, they’re origate so they have the right to tell players not to kneel. Doesn’t mean they should. We as a culture have an obligation, just not a legal one, to respect free speech.

I didn't I new you could hire SWAT teams.

Just dont try do anti-semite or gun banning protest or pro communism or pro-islamic or anti-capitalism.