>say something along the lines of "back in America..."
>"UHHH YOU KNOWWWW AMERICA IS UN CONTINENTE RIGHT?? I AM AMERICAN TOO"
Please tell me you guys don't do this. It's incredibly obnoxious

Attached: IMG_3044.jpg (960x1540, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/america
youtube.com/watch?v=DkFJE8ZdeG8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How are they wrong? Your country is called the United States of America, not "America".

only argieniggers do that, mexicans know there it's the americas

>Your country is called the United States of America
what does that imply frog

That you should call your country the "United States of America", not America

I hate that too

Only leftards do this

Don't people have the right to call their shit whichever way they like? Just roll with it, no point being anal.

das rite, we americans now whitey

I call it "states", it's what all the cool kids call it

>of

Do you call your country the French Republic?

No, but I certainly don't call it Europe.

>please call me a fat & dumb warmongerer

The demonym of "The Americas" is "American".

>say something along the lines of "back in America..."
Please tell me you guys don't do this. It's incredibly obnoxious

the term american was used all the way back from the colonists after the seven year's war. It was literally used before any of your narco shitholes became a country

your country is called the french republic, not "france"

My country's informal name isn't that of an entire continent.

And Mexico is called the United States of Mexico

...and their informal name isn't the name of an entire continent, which makes it acceptable. United Statesians calling their country "America" is one of the best examples of United Statesian megalomania.

it's fun because you get to make fun of canadions as well

The "real" name of the USA was "America", their official name is "United States of America", similar to how the name of Spain is "Spain" but their long name is "Kingdom of Spain" or "Mexico" and "United Mexican States", "Switzerland" and "Swiss Confederation", "Jordan" and "Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan", "Papua New Guinea" and "Independent State of Papua New Guinea", etc., but nowadays "America" just goes by the name of "United States of America" (in short and official name), similar to how "Russia" is actually "Russian Federation" or how "Brunei" is actually "Brunei Darussalam", etc.

It's the third time someone uses this argument. Again, the USA is the only country out of those whose informal name is also the name of a continent.

Neither is America, since the continantes are north and south idiot

"America" alone refers to both Americas, which doesn't make it any better.

*Continents what the fuck

so what then United states of the united states?

The first time the word "America" appeared on a map was to describe Argentina and Brazil.

Ur not american.

Those are two different words dude

'The Americas' refers to both

Not in english bud

United States of America. "United States", "US" and "USA" are also acceptable.
Both terms do.
It refers to the American supercontinent in English.

indians would argue their country is also a subcontinent. those distinctions are pointless anyway and i would never say i'm "american" because i'm south american. likewise, a canadian person is north american.

>It refers to the American supercontinent in English.
It quite literally does not

>i would never say i'm "american" because i'm south american
You're American regardless.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/america
>A land mass of the western hemisphere consisting of the continents of North and South America joined by the Isthmus of Panama.

Could other countries in America unite with the United States?

In English, "America" generally refers to the country (USA) not the continent, it would be wrong in Spanish (and I guess in other languages too) to call it "América" because "América" means the continent, not the country.

you're schengenian

The fact that all Anglo countries use the seven continent model just reinforces all of this and makes it more acceptable

Yes. Any country can relinquish its sovereignty and join the USA as a new state. Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1 of the American Constitution:
>New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.[
Incorrect usage doesn't change the actual meaning of the word.
No, I'm European.

>No, I'm European.
Yep, that's a yikes from me

Not an argument.

>No, I'm European.
No, you're African.

see:

no, you're eurasian

That is also true.

>any country
>tfw united states of the world

>Incorrect usage doesn't change the actual meaning of the word
words change meaning, the usage is what gives meaning to a word

Sure, but popular usage and academic usage have an equal value in regards to the meaning of a word, and you can find the academic definition here: Case in point, United Statesians have no business calling their country America. It is the name of a supercontinent first and foremost, which they usurped in their egocentrism.

you hardly ever refer to 2 continents as one and then we have the Americas as a name while you talk about America a lot

United States should balkanize for no reason other than to ensure the future states have not-stupid names and a flag that isn't ugly

>you hardly ever refer to 2 continents as one
What's Eurasia? And regardless, "America" refers to the supercontinent first and foremost. This is factual.
Yes. Please balkanize, then you'll be able to stop calling your country the name of a supercontinent.

based french poster

>you hardly ever refer to 2 continents as one
that is correct, America is one continent after all

Unitedstatians eternally BTFO'd

It’s not just us forcing the American title. Say someone is American anywhere In the world and they’ll assume you mean a citizen if the US.

I’m frankly not sure how it started, but the cat is out of the bag now.

based af
amerimutts ain't wh*te you fucking blanco scum

>Say someone is American anywhere In the world and they’ll assume you mean a citizen if the US
this is a false statement

it's too very distinct landmasses. I mean forget Eurasia Africa and Asia are more connected

Based BROWN BVLL

When you are talking to a fellow Chilean or South American do you call yourself American? Never been to Chile, but I know for sure this isn’t done in several South American countries.

Shut the fuck up

Of course they do. They are, after all, Americans; inhabitants of the American supercontinent.

Shut the fuck up

I don't talk to americans irl. I'm not kidding.

That’s not how they refer to themselves in Peru, or Colombia or Nicaragua. They are Peruvians, Columbians, and Nicaraguan.

Chile might be different, I wouldn’t know. But I do know that if a Chilean called themself an American in France or Italy or Germany, people would assume they were from the USA.

I doubt you really encounter them

No, we would assume that they are from the American supercontinent, as we do not submit to Unitedstatian cultural hegemony.

hello im chileno and i call myself american yes

what's wrong with your flag fellow American (chilean)

>"America" refers to the supercontinent first and foremost. This is factual.
Except it doesn't, in English the original sense of "American" was "the indigenous peoples of the Americas" so according to your logic (you) are also wrong because you're using it to mean an inhabitant of the continent

Bullshit. Maybe you would, because it’s clearly a thing to you, but I’ve been to those places and calling yourself an American generally means people assume you’re from the US.

1. The entire world calls us America and it is stupid
2. There's the Americas composed of North America and South America, nothing called America

are you being ironic or do you believe this IRL?

Fair enough. Like I said, I can only comment on the places I’ve been. Does it ever cause confusion among tourist?

>Except it doesn't
Except it does, see: >There's the Americas composed of North America and South America, nothing called America
Wrong, see: Sorry, but you're delusional. Maybe leave your country sometimes.
I'm 100% serious.

I've heard both continents referred to as America in English texts, but that's usual when discussing early colonial history

no because we no call you american we call you gringo o estadounidense ok?

Why don’t you go to another thread on Jow Forums and look at ALL the other flags calling us Americans.

Unitedstatianized ESLs aren't representative of their country's populations.

2 is false
over here some people use americano the way us spics use latino to refer to all the continent and their cultures

Nobody called me gringo at first when I was in South America, because I’m not white. But when Imtold them I was American, they instantly knew I meant that i’m From the US.

well the only other choice was that you were from canada, so it was a 50/50

>americano

That I definitely heard a lot of.

I’m a Pacific Islander. I assume most of them thought I was a big South American.

>¡Amérrrrrrica es un continente, no un país, ese!
I literally have to turn off the computer and go cringe when they do this.

Attached: angry brown person.jpg (335x350, 28K)

I'm talking about the original original sense, then the meaning of America shifted to "European people from British North America" and then to " People from the United States"

why is this basketball american so angry
like in here
youtube.com/watch?v=DkFJE8ZdeG8
at 4:58 you can hear que viva la america
only gringos speak english call themselves americans, put two and two together

>No, Im European
t. Ahmed bin Wallahi

uhh, you know america es un continente, right? we're all americano, buddy.
>be americano
>get shot

Attached: 15030334346.png (322x361, 197K)

French is a type of fried potato your country is the republic of france

parrot

I’m sorry?

*repeats an argument that has been used dozens of times hours after the discussion is over*

Wait, do other countries not use the Seven continent model?

I’m sorry but no one else said anything about fries in this thread.

>the United Mexican States steps in to tell America it is only allowed to refer to itself as the United States

He's lying because he's angry about his irrelevance and subservience to his American masters 2bh. In Chilean grocery stores they have great big AMERICANO sections that are decorated top to bottom with American iconography and American flags. For some reason Chileans suddenly know what American means when they want American products, then magically forget after they've finished stuffing their faces with the achievements of a superior civilization

Please note how I did not say "products of the United States" or "estadounidense"--I knew that the definition of American was self-evident and instinctively understood even by countries with an average IQ of 87