What country invented the modern notion/version of democracy?

What country invented the modern notion/version of democracy?

Attached: democracy.jpg (678x381, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uramericansinparis.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/french-and-american-political-theory-in-1789/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

devolution comes from the uk

greece

France, obviously.

Representative democracy would be what you're probably thinking of, and that was first used in the Roman Republic. The word democracy comes from Greek, Athens being often referred to as the birthplace of democracy, but that was a form of democracy where all citizens voted directly instead of electing rulers or representatives.

Attached: 00yyaM7a.jpg (1420x1188, 164K)

sorry but both rome and greece are oligarchies
class and property restrictions apply

What's your point

Attached: 1493068189400.jpg (600x400, 63K)

that uk is realistically the real origin of the distribution of power by curtailing the monarchy through parliament and parliament

before you say it was full of nobles
technically the creation of nobility was just to fill the mp office was from uk

after the civil war uk ran out of nobles to fill the parliament so they took prominent people (sometimes peasants) and gave them peerage just so they can have a working parliament this is also arguably the start of the modern age and the decline of the landed class (as peerage became increasingly bought) brought on the fluctuation of the early stock system through the ventures such as the east india company

If this is about power dynamics instead of the type of democracy, then Athenian democracy came to be as a direct result of smashing the oligarchy and was about as distributed as you can get

you had to be living in athens
there is a reason why out of all the athenians only 1 in 10 could vote, and why all the poor did not tend farms but huddled together in some slum

also the bigger issues of state is not decided by the people, athens had different systems as well to ensure conservatism

the had multiple councils to balance things out and they had multiple generals to oversee diplomacy, rules and regulation councils for religious bodies etc

this is not modern by any reckoning since it is as if there are 4 separate governments all with different eligibility
it is not a system that is adaptable to a large multi-region polity as most countries are, it is complex but unfortunately archaic, nothing like it exists because most in an polity do not know each other

>that uk is realistically the real origin of the distribution of power by curtailing the monarchy through parliament and parliament
yes, since magna carta

>after the civil war uk ran out of nobles to fill the parliament so they took prominent people (sometimes peasants) and gave them peerage
they had house of commons for that

anyway the further development of democracy goes with the french revolution and therefore with the french philosophers whose ideas then were applied into the declaration of independence of the usa ("fursuit of happiness" lol) and the american constitution

I agree in that it's not modern, which is why I didn't initially said Roman Republic rather than Greece. I think that was a reasonable answer considering OP wasn't very precise with his question, and the Roman Republic being an oligarchy is beside the point, since many modern democracies (some would argue the UK and US too) are oligarchies, or rather, nothing in the modern notion of democracy excludes the existence of an oligarchy.

But regardless, it's 4am and I fully expected this thread to die after I responded, so I'm out

>I didn't initially said
I initially said*

The implications is that oligarchical modernity is not conceptual, that the power of the monied lobby group is not predicted by founders.

Romans did try to reform the Senate ala the Gracchus brothers, to grant the privileges of a Roman plebian (tribunal power) to italic allies, he was killed due to reactionaries

Gracchus brothers is a good counter to why the English needed that to happen, the victory of the house of Tudor meant they needed new alliagences away from the old anglo-norman by introducing a new element into the stale nobility that wrecked the country.

It's all for power but with unforseen results

England, they turned the head of state into a figurehead with reserve powers and created the head of government as a democratically elected person to rule the country via parliament
all modern (functional) democracies use the parliamentary system
roman and athenian democracy was nothing like what we consider democracy today

Athenian democracy would be more interesting, desu.

France

american revolution came before the French who quoted America as influence

Americans got their ideas from the UK through bacon/Locke

Also the influence of monarchy over the house of Commons was not deceased until after the Cromwellian civil war

>Americans got their ideas from the UK through bacon/Locke

>>The Declaration of Independence, written mostly by Thomas Jefferson and then signed by representatives of the thirteen Colonies, was influenced significantly by the French political philosophers Montesquieu and Rousseau. Both these men espoused the ideas of new government and political rights for all men. According to Joseph Ellis, Jefferson saw a serious opportunity to assist the French people with their state-making and he was keen to assist them (126).

uramericansinparis.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/french-and-american-political-theory-in-1789/

Modern form with partys instead of direct democracy was done first by Romans i believe but only during Constantinopla was party polĂ­tics a normal thing but non elected partys instead of individuals like we did now.
I would say UK since they monarchy allowed the Lords to pick the politics of the kingdom.