Why do Europeans talk about Americans not having culture? Literally 90% of your population listens to our music...

Why do Europeans talk about Americans not having culture? Literally 90% of your population listens to our music, watches our TV, buys our movies, uses our websites, wears our clothes, lines up for hours to eat our shitty fast food when it opens in your city... you even integrate our nignog slang into your languages. Lol yeah I guess we don't have castles and classical composers, but besides you internet autists, literally nobody gives a shit.

Attached: american-flag-1020853_960_720_full.jpg (960x584, 349K)

Prepare for a thread full of mutts, obese people, shooting statistics, and other negative stereotypes.

>but besides you internet autists, literally nobody gives a shit.

You seem to give a shit though, so you are an internet autist too buddy.

It's because they didn't grow up here.

I did, OP is still an idiot

No, you're the idiot

america has a shit ton of culture
it's just the kind of culture that appeals to the lowest common denominator
exactly why it's so successful and widespread

Unless OP is 100% Native American he can suck my European dick also pay tea taxes

Attached: dfccebf82f1876b41a12145a922bf0e8--enamel-paint-red-glitter.jpg (236x233, 11K)

We are Americans who speak French.

not sure how that changes anything i said

Vous n'avez même pas une langue pour vous...

American cultural influence on Europe = shallow throwaway entertainment and pop culture eg movie or cheeseburger
European cultural influence on America = the stuff that dominates every second of your life such as language, law, religion etc

Jesus Christ shut up you Mong.

Ils ont des cultures, les langues ne sont pas trés important pour la culture

Everybody in this thread is an idiot as far as I can tell. I imagine this must be how a kindergarten teacher feels all day, or a tard wrangler.

Look, the American experts are here. They've probably visited one place and read stuff online!!

You are taking this very seriously, relax

>American culture

Attached: 5080728674_1963b54b02_b_wide-14cad794e0bf265ceb22743fd9d1741bb81dc7dc-s800-c85.jpg (588x331, 71K)

Epic

i'm not saying the states don't have "high" culture
just that your global cultural hegemony is based on the low-brow stuff, which is causing the "america has no culture" -meme.

consumerism is not culture

>Why do Europeans talk about Americans not having culture?
Low effort flamebait that has a high yield almost guaranteed.

Attached: 1406579778239.gif (400x400, 120K)

Here, I made this based on the iceberg model of culture to help you all understand.

Attached: PicsArt_10-07-03.57.13.jpg (2289x2289, 529K)

Attached: 1375446761155.gif (342x342, 404K)

You might have your iceberg upside down m8

You just explained why in your post.
American culture is world culture, therefore americans have no culture of their own.
It's faulty logic, but people buy into it anyways.
That said on Jow Forums it's banter so you should really just relax.

>stereotypes

Attached: 1498596723317.jpg (713x1008, 137K)

Jokes on you faggot, I enjoy Amerimutt stuff.

Weirdo

If I put on a sombrero, cook tacos, say a hail mary, and shout spanish gibberish, I am not suddenly culturally Mexican. Culture deeply impacts your life, the way you set up your government, your values, civic structures, how you perceive yourself and the world around you, etc. They are ingrained and difficult to change.
You focus on food, clothes, holidays, because they are the most visible but they are also the most shallow and irrelevant. If you can easily and almost instantly change a cultural aspect without leaving your house, it's probably not an important part of your culture.

>Literally 90% of your population listens to our music, watches our TV, buys our movies, uses our websites, wears our clothes
do mutts genuinely think that most countries don't have music, TV, movies, websites and clothes of their own or is it just this retard?

Americans don't have culture like the others, and god do I really want it. Japanese culture is nice.

American culture is McDonald's, Donald Trump and BLACKED.com

>Literally 90% of your population listens to our music
The major music genres here are Dutch music, Dutch carnival music, Dutch rap, American rap and (mostly Dutch) international electronic music.
American music is mostly generic pop that nobody especially cares for.

We do have lots of American tv and films. The Dutch internet is pretty big. I'd say it's 50/50 when it comes to internet. We do wear a lot of American brand clothes. We have our own fast food. Our slang doesn't come from the USA.

I wonder if I start to say a lot of bullshittery, will I be suddenly considered canadian?

Your (((culture))) is the main reason Western civilisation is dying. I hope you're proud of yourself, you fat cunt.

true, you've captured the father, son and holy ghost

I ain't watching some french arthouse film where two hipsters drink coffee in a cafe for 30 minutes without uttering a word, or listen to some virgin rape soundtrack from Norway.

Imma watch Bruce Willis (and any variation of that formula) Die Hard a quadrilion times and listen to 2Pac.

It's the model used by anthropologists and sociologists to differentiate culture groups. Historians then use these groups based on that model to help piece together history and biography.

Based

>watches our TV, buys our movies, uses our websites, wears our clothes, lines up for hours to eat our shitty fast food
lolno. Who the fuck still watch tv? Or the political correct sequels from Hollywood? America should make westerns. But that would be racist or something.
Brits

>listens to our music, watches our TV, buys our movies, uses our websites, wears our clothes, lines up for hours to eat our shitty fast food when it opens in your city... you even integrate our nignog slang into your languages

Thanks for taking responsibility for all of the main sources of degeneracy in the west.

Also last time I checked mutts obsess over British TV shows, brands and music and wear our flag on their clothes even though we're a small island... Really makes you think.

In reality Anglos in general dominate the global entertainment industry, particularly the UK.

They don't mean literally no culture, they mean the lack of any high culture. What little culture we do have is being swept away by thoughtless consumerism. Take away the flag worship and you're left with a nation of mercenaries united only by love of money.

Your country is ridiculously young by European standards and your mass pop culture is highly enjoyable, but evanescent and lacks sophistication.
As rightfully said, mass producing entertainment may be worth it econmically and spreads worldwide, but it doesn't last and it won't end up being noteworthy.
American culture does exist, with names such as Chomsky's or Mark twain, but your average American culture is usually just a dumbed-down version of an older European tradition.
> halloween
> Toussaint in france, where we take a holiday to celebrate the dead and, the Saints
> lmao bro just put fake monsters everywhere, dress up as slutty anything and go party and ask for candy
It's super fun and super likeable, but it loses the solemnity of the original celebration. Just think we perceive American "mass" culture this way for about anything
> American fast food = shitty food that's fat but tastes good
> American music = usually tailored to be loved by the masses
> American humour = fart and penis jokes. No irony.
> American movies = 9 predictable Hollywwod flicks for 1 original gem

I know it's unfair and your culture will just keep on growing and thriving, but you do export massively a low-standard, high-profit and short-sightedness """culture""" out there. Think comparing high cuisine to McDonalds and you'll get why we have this impression of shallowness.
Culture grows with time, though.

>Brands
Haha in your dreams buddy boy.
>Music
You haven't been relevant since the 60s-70s.
>British TV shows
Not in your dreams, I obsess over Japanese and US TV shows.

>wears our clothes, lines up for hours to eat our shitty fast food when it opens in your city... you even integrate our nignog slang into your languages
wait what

Hi Spain. Your countrypeople took over my parents country and colonized it.

Halloween originates more from Samhain than All Saint's Day

>American culture does exist, with names such as Chomsky's or Mark Twain
>Chomsky

Attached: 1533018201438.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

I think a lot of Europeons on here are just mad that nobody in America wants to be a Eurangutan, also it's really easy to get replies when you pretend to be retarded. Rent free.

Attached: bru.png (450x434, 452K)

>>Chomsky
> born in Philadelphia
> American linguist
> not American culture somehow ?
What's your point here ? Trying to deny Chomsky as a valid American influencial intellectual ?

This.
AngloAmerican culture worldwide.

Attached: 1528921683445.png (828x383, 218K)

>nearly all the countries with self-reported data have lower rates than the countries with measured data

Really makes me think.

Attached: self reported vs measured obesity.png (873x557, 45K)

cope

Attached: anti-mutt.jpg (4090x2310, 3.32M)

Keep coping. Even among the measured countries you're by far the fattest one.

You did a really nice job explaining that. It should be pointed out that mostly countries in Europe have elements of cheap trashy culture as well (bawdy plays and songs, bathroom humor, etc) and have had it since before The US was even a country. We’ve just managed to mass produce it and spread it on a scale previously unheard of.

I'm not denying that Chomsky is influential
I'm denying that he influences American culture

Culture surpasses the grasp of intellectuals, as evidenced by our most favorite of polymaths, Benjamin Franklin, having next to no influence culturally in his own time or beyond it

Did Derrida influence all of France culturally?
Did Rousseau? Did Voltaire?

Deadass serious answer : Rousseau and Voltaire did, Derrida did not.

As did Twain and Poe for the US

Chomsky is akin to Derrida in this aspect

that's not culture
just vapid entertainment

I wish i could visit murica someday. Road trip from east to west coast woult be quite meme but fun thing to do.

He wasn’t talking about Chomsky influencing American culture, he was saying that Chomsky’s work is an actual part of.American culture.

We can debate how big a part he is, but is seems undeniable that he is a part. Just like Twain, or Franklin, or Faulkner or William James. Varying degrees of impact, all a part of what we consider American culture.

Good post.

Vapid entertainment is a part of culture. It’s not high culture, for sure, but you can’t disclude it because you don’t like the quality. You can only say that it’s shitty culture.

mutt cope

Okie dokie then

Europeans in this thread keep on alluding to this concept of some "higher culture" that America lacks or doesn't export but never explicitly give examples of what this nebulous concept even is.

Vapid entertainment is still culture, fucks sake, the state of some of you pseudo intellectual mongs

Attached: Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-06 um 22.17.34.png (284x261, 114K)

Thinkers are not an influence on history, it's the other way around

Great Authors and Classic litterature (think Dickens' works, Victor Hugo's writings, the Iliad or the Odyssey, etc...)
Classic music and classical music composers whose works are still being played today (you know them even if you don't listen to them, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaïkovsky, etc...)
Sculptures and Paintings that have been cultural and artistic staples for centuries.
"High" culture is what requires some intellectual effort on your part and an understanding of things the average Joe doesn't have to enjoy and appreciate it.
Not that I'm saying it's the only valid culture, but you can't really compare a guy reading "the fault in our stars" and watching the Divergent saga with another one reading "Les Miserables" and going to theatre to watch Midsummer Night's Dream. Chances the latter has more depths to him than the former, though it does often also mean he will act like an asshole about it, but that's another subject entirely.

Attached: 1523278497602.jpg (1600x1066, 721K)

This guy pretty excellently breaks it down, and even gives examples.

We produce a lot of crap, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have high culture. American novels can rival any countries in the world for instance.

It's a bit of both in all honesty

If Dickens and Hugo are men of high culture then so are Melville and Hawthorne

*braaaaps in your direction*

It's not a dick contest, I was simply providing examples to the other user whining we were not doing so.
And I'm fairly certain Moby Dick is considered peak litterature.

What kind of bored loser would read all of Muh Dick? Just read Bartleby, the scrivener

I was trying to imply that there are better examples of European high culture
Goethe, Voltaire, Cervantes, etc.

Because American culture is European culture.

Usually people do it only to brag, which is a shame because it's a very good book

Not whenever it is convenient to say otherwise
Duplicity seems to be the only unifying quality of Europeans

I tried and failed, the novel is absolutely tedious. Doesn't change the fact it's considered American Great Litterature though, our tastes are irrelevant to that.

We could discuss names all night long. My point was simply to provide some examples of high culture to that other guy, maybe not the best examples I agree.

>Duplicity seems to be the only unifying quality of Europeans
We learned it from the Brits.

B-but I’ve read Moby Dick three times. I like it.

Attached: 61A39BE4-663F-4C43-B121-43E182A2FA3B.jpg (282x177, 11K)

Moby dick is excellent

Most of the culture we export is soulless garbage made by a bunch of heartless penny pinchers from around the globe living in Hollywood. The actually good stuff we make doesn't get exported because it has no appeal to non-Americans (classic country, noir mysteries, historical dramas like Mad Men, books about finding your life's purpose without having any roots, etc.)

>Not whenever it is convenient to say otherwise
I never said that. America is literally an amalgamation of European culture and judeo-christian values. Your legal system is based on ancient Roman law and English common law, and your philosophy is based on Greek work.

It's literally nothing but European.

You evidently do not know the US as much as you think

I’m not sure you should underestimate the influence Native American people had on european settlers here. They lived close to one another for generations, and it’d be silly to think they didn’t have an impact on our culture.

Point out some facets of American culture that isn't European in origin then.
Fine, explain how it has influenced American culture. How does it show?

>eurocucks
don't give it too much thought

Because 99% of that culture is shit that makes your brain rot

Mannerisms, sayings, frontier clothing
Our constitution and ideas of democracy have significant influence from the Iroquois Confederacy

More than that but I have to go

>Mannerisms, sayings, frontier clothing
Post examples of mannerisms, sayings and frontier clothing then. Specifics, please.
>Our constitution and ideas of democracy have significant influence from the Iroquois Confederacy
That's laughable. Your constitution is based on Magna Carta and English common law.

First of on the names of many of our cities and towns, lakes, rivers and mountains.

Second, the early American Frontiersman is deeply influenced by natives. How and where they hunted, what they wore, what they ate, eventually how they spoke. That American frontiersman is a large part of early American culture.

There’s also the native presence in a large part of early American literature. You’ll,find native character in the works of Twain, Melville, and Hawthorne. Emerson and Thoreau credited the Indians as influential on their philosophy. I’m not even going into the food we ate.

I'm so sorry you had to read this

Americans have pop culture, not culture.

>First of on the names of many of our cities and towns, lakes, rivers and mountains.
States and counties too. That's entirely superficial though.
>Second, the early American Frontiersman is deeply influenced by natives. How and where they hunted, what they wore, what they ate, eventually how they spoke. That American frontiersman is a large part of early American culture.
So the American Frontiersman hunted with bow and arrow, built teepees, erected totems and smoked the peace pipe? I want specifics. How exactly did the American Frontiersman hunt that was distinct from what Europeans did, and how exactly is this reflected in modern American culture?
>There’s also the native presence in a large part of early American literature. You’ll,find native character in the works of Twain, Melville, and Hawthorne.
Robinson Crusoe had a mesoamerican character. Is European culture therefore American? How did the presence of these characters shape American culture?
>Emerson and Thoreau credited the Indians as influential on their philosophy.
Please provide source for that claim.
>I’m not even going into the food we ate.
Right, because cooking with maize instead of wheat makes clearly your culture completely separate and distinct from European culture. Fucking potatoes were brought from South America. Is European culture therefore South American?

Even names aren’t superficial when it comes to culture. One should assume if we were using their language to name everything around us, we were using other elements of it.

No. They hunted in a way that was a mix between what they learned from natives and european tech. It was very common to hire native guides to show them prime hunting areas and to explain how to hunt/dress animals native to the America’s.

As far as Robinson Caruso goes, you’re giving on example, I’m pointing out an entire pattern of literary. Literarily romanticizing natives was a honest to god movement in early American writings. It was actually very popular in Europe. Just look it up.

>Is European culture therefore American
>is european culture therefore South American.

Look, your rhetoric seems to be conflating Native American influence with claiming we are a Native American culture. My point isn’t that we are a native culture, it’s simply that we’ve been influenced.

Rawhide clothing, using beads and turquoise as ornaments, hunting traditions, offering tobacco as gifts, ideas on the definition and distinction of freedom under law and absolute freedom, philosophical influences on people and their connection to nature or the need to be immersed in unspoiled nature from youth, sports, plenty more

>Your constitution is based on Magna Carta and English common law
And influenced by the system of government practiced by the Iroquois, namely our Senate and bicameral legislature's purpose
"Influenced" is not "Based on," is that too difficult for you to understand?

>Even names aren’t superficial when it comes to culture.
You can name a thing whatever you want, it doesn't mean it'll be any different from anything else. Dress a nigger however you want, it'll still act like a nigger.
>No. They hunted in a way that was a mix between what they learned from natives and european tech. It was very common to hire native guides to show them prime hunting areas and to explain how to hunt/dress animals native to the America’s.
So because they hired a local who knew the area to point out where the game was located, that they were dressed and cooked exactly like their European cousins, they effectively incorporated native culture into their own mannerisms?
>As far as Robinson Caruso goes, you’re giving on example, I’m pointing out an entire pattern of literary. Literarily romanticizing natives was a honest to god movement in early American writings. It was actually very popular in Europe. Just look it up.
Romanticising natives and foreign cultures has been a thing for ages in every culture, look up chinoiserie. The fact that literature and art exists that depicts foreign cultures doesn't mean that you incorporate parts of the romanticised culture into your own. They remain distinct and separate.
>Look, your rhetoric seems to be conflating Native American influence with claiming we are a Native American culture. My point isn’t that we are a native culture, it’s simply that we’ve been influenced.
And I've asked you to provide examples on how exactly native american culture shows in modern american life. If it was indeed an influence, surely you'd have more concrete examples.

Hey eurangutans if you love the US so much why don't you MARRY the US?