Λευkοφοβία

λευkοφοβία

How do you pronounce this and what does it mean?

Attached: 2000px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png (2000x1333, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leukophobia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You pronounce it “I love my Turkish master” but with 9 dix in ur mouth

Leh-ou-ko-fobia

Idk I guess leuko means white so I'd guess something like "fear of white"

Not "lev-koh-fobia"?

Well could be, I mean in ancient Greek the ou is read like you would read it in w(ou)ld not sure for modern Greek

>in ancient Greek the ou is read like you would read it in w(ou)ld
So pretty much the same as today?

It means fear of white
Why do you ask?

Because "aspro" also means white, also I don't know if it's pronounced "lev-koh", or "leh-ooh-koh".

It's also pronounced lef-ko-fo-vìa

Where did you hear that word?

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leukophobia

You were browsing greek words on the wiktionary?

It's part of some amateur research into Greek pronunciation and how the West creates Greek-based compound words.

So it can be both "lef-koh-fobia", and "leh-ooh-koh-fobia"?

No its only lef-koh-fovia

Different guy, it's only pronounced as "lef-koh-fovia". Also, both "aspro" and "lefko" mean white, but they aren't completely interchangeable.

So the β becomes a fricative "f" instead of a plosive "b"?

And isn't the "υ" normally an "u" like in "ooh"?

> both "aspro" and "lefko" mean white, but they aren't completely interchangeable.
What about things like turning white/pale from fear?

No the β is always pronounced like v as in vidya

The hell. I thought that was the "beta".

Phrases aren't interchangeable at all, and in this case, you'd only use the word "aspro" (this one might depend on the context though). Most phrases are like that. For example, "white day" which is a phrase meaning "a good day" only makes sense when you use "aspro"
b is pronounced as "vee" in that case. Also, υ doesn't really sound like "ooh", unless it's preceded by an "o", as in "ου"
Beta is pronounced Veeta in Greek.

>b is pronounced as "vee"
>Beta is pronounced Veeta in Greek.
Mind vlown.

>Phrases aren't interchangeable at all, and in this case, you'd only use the word "aspro" (this one might depend on the context though). Most phrases are like that. For example, "white day" which is a phrase meaning "a good day" only makes sense when you use "aspro"
What about "white people", as in skin color?

You'd use "lefko" here. You could use "aspro" as well, but it's very informal and would probably cause confusion.

We use lefkos

Ancient Greek: leukophobia
Modern Greek: lefkofovia
Other languages have different conventions for pronouncing scientific words of Greek origin. But most of them just transliterate the word into Latin and pronounce it with its own rules.

How would you transpose the ancient Greek "leukos" into Latin?

Albus

But then that wouldn't make much sense alongside the Greek word "phobia".