Standard German: spät

Wtf Germans?

Attached: annoyed.jpg (306x306, 20K)

myöhässä

atode

>soccer
>calcio
wtf US and italy are you retarded?

"Soccer" is actually the older term, but I agree, it'd be easier if we just used "football" and "American football".

lat means lazy, not late

Attached: 1506150467784.png (250x250, 42K)

Oh sorry, I was just looking at the descendants of proto-Germanic lataz. I'm now wondering if some of those other words don't mean "late".

Obviously you guys wouldn't have something resembling "late".

Târziu is objectively the best word for late.

I assume that's related to words like English "tardy" and Spanish "tarde", right?

Yes, a weirder relative. It's a bastardization of the Latin "tardivus"

Interesting. Doesn't Romanian have a lot of words where D became Z before front vowels?

Atrasado :^)

Indeed. Many Latin words underwent changes. Either "d" became "z" (Latin deus -> Romanian zeu, dicere -> (a) zice / zicere, dies -> zi) or "t" became "ț" (ts - Latin terra -> Romanian țară).
Romanian has an abundance of weird phonetic changes from Latin and a lot of "ts", "sh", "ch" phonemes, which makes people think it's further away from Latin than the rest, but a closer inspection reveals the opposite.

Very interesting, thanks man.

No problem. Some of our words' etimologies are pretty dubious when you consider the transformations (i.e: supposedly "înger" comes from the Latin "angelus") but generally we have a solid base.

Idk, an L to R change isn't that weird, compare Spanish "blanco" with Portuguese "branco".

bump

bump

αργά

Sure, but "an" to "în" and "elus" to "er" seems like a stretch.