What are some languages where theres different forms of "You" depending on the context and the manners?

>What are some languages where theres different forms of "You" depending on the context and the manners?
For example in Spanish we have "tú" (colloquial) and "usted" (formal, respectful) and for plural "vosotros/ustedes".

Attached: k8FL0Fo.png (1215x1045, 137K)

In Chinese you have 你 which can be used for every day things, then 您 which is used when you want to show respect
Then you can say 你们 which is you but for multiple people

Ta timi tapai hajur (Nepali)
Tu tum aap (hindi)

Increasing order of respect, but the last two in nepali have become interchangeable now.

The verb also changes according to respect level.

E.g. what did you do?
Taile ke garis?
Timile ke garyou?
Tapaile ke garnubhayo?

"tu" (colloquial)
"vous" (formal, respectful) and for plural

But I'd prefer only one form, like in English.

>你们
thats interesting, we pretty much form the plural of "you" the same way with "vos-otros" (you-others)
in what situations would you use the respectful form?

Attached: smartpepe.png (705x520, 47K)

didn't know french was like italian in this way

Attached: 1528923678732.jpg (400x368, 25K)

εσύ (esee) singular
εσείς (esees) plural/formal

1. People older than you
2. Generally used as polite language if yo u do not know the second person well.

same in russian, formal and plural are similar

>whats the matter essee

Attached: hispanic-gang.jpg (400x303, 31K)

Doesn't Italian use the 3rd person for formal (you)?

we just use plural(tqven) for the formal version

ti/vostede (singular) vos/vostedes (plural) in galician

Ti - informal singular
Vi - plural as well as formal singular

There used to be another formal way of addressing people where you would use the third person. My grandmother used it when talking about her parents but these days it's not used anymore except in an ironic way or in historical context.

>conjugate verb
>dont have to say "you"

I had to look the Urban Dictionary.

The same, and with basically the same words
Tu - singular
Jūs - plural/respectful

I wonder if it's somehow loaned or just common origins.

>in what situations would you use the respectful form?

To speak to a teacher for example. In old times, it was to speak to your parents.

The official "Our Father" prayer from the Catholic Church was with the respectful form before, now the official version is with the familiar form.

Arabic has a different you for masculine and for feminine, as well as for dual (if addressing 2) in both masculine and feminine, and for plural (more than 2) in both masculine and feminine

Holy fuck, all those years and i didn't see english doesn't even have multiple forms of you.

We have você and vocês (plural).

heh

Attached: 23471234454.jpg (379x429, 26K)

ti and vi.
vas is shown wrongly on this map, it's the genitive or accusative of vi, it means means "of/for y'all"

my grandma still refers to the priest here in the third person plural

all romance languages have different forms for "you" (singular) and "you" (plural) afaik

>ke
Is this the accusative form of "what"?

>english doesn't even have multiple forms of you.
It does.
Thou - singular informal
You - plural/formal

You has just entirely supplanted thou.

no
it's you and y'all

in romanian
1)Tu- to friends
2)Dumneata-its smth between "tu" and "dumneavoastra"-(vous)
I personally think that addressing to a one person in plural form is retarded

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's third person PLURAL.
Moja ni bila kaj posebej goreče verna, ne spomnim se da bi kadarkoli sploh omenila fajmoštra.

only in redneck and ebonics

'What' does not have cases.

Alright, lets go:
"Tu" - standard, used for friends/families/peers. Default in Portugal.
"Você" - fake formal. Used to be formal, but is now pretty trashy-sounding. Default in Brazil.
"O Senhor" - real formal. Conjugated sort of like "your highness" in grammatical terms, but with not-as-pompous titles, just sort of "your sirness"

"Vós" - standard but archaic, unused outside poetry and remote regions. Sounds very formal if adressing jut one person
"Vocês" - standard coloquial. Doesn't sound as trashy as the singular. Default in both Portugal and Brazil.

>There used to be another formal way of addressing people where you would use the third person.
So like German? They are fucked in the head because their formal is "sie" - they

pretty sad

there's even Ihr/Euch (same as her or plural you) which is used for nobility. I've only seen it in fantasy/medieval settings, like for a king or duchess

English used to have “Thou” (colloquial) and “You” (formal). Not sure how the formal term became universal.

Dutch is je/jij for singular
U for polite form
Jullie plural

>du
colloquial second person singular
>ihr
colloquial second person plural
>Sie
formal second person singular and plural (works the same as third person plural, but spelled with a capital S)

outdated forms:
>Du
works the same as du, but spelled with a capital D. Used to be the colloquial form when writing a letter to a friend (the capital D makes it look a little more formal. It's a fucking letter after all don't just slap a filthy du in there). -That rule got scratched about 20 years ago, but people still use it a lot.
>Ihr
Same as Sie, but archaic: formal second person singular and plural. (Works the same as ihr but is spelled with a capital I) It's not THAT archaic though. For example, my grandparents still had to refer to their grandparents as Ihr. Back when respecting your elders still was a thing. It co-existed with Sie, but was an even more formal and respectful way.

We only have an informal "you", both plural and singular. In order to be polite (and it's pretty much mandatory with strangers) you refer to them in the third person, using "Pan/Pani" (Sir/Madam), eg. "Does Sir know when the train will arrive?".

thats interesting, when we have the "formal" term of you we use 3rd person verbs too
in most latin america they dont even use compound verbs or 2nd person in verbs, its all 1st person, 3rd person, 1st person plural and 3rd person plural (they onnly use formal "you")

>Ti is the same in galician and Russian

Weird how two indo-eurooean languages so far away share this thing

Same in spanish, pronouns are optional

¿Cómo está (usted)?
¿Como estás (tú)?

>russian

Attached: 16AF592A-FFA1-4567-AC81-65BD7E31F409.jpg (225x225, 28K)

It always pissed me off that the English language doesn't have a word for plural you, instead you have to say you all or the Americans actually figured it out and say y'all. How the fuck this this retarded language become the most important one?

languages dont expand based on academics or technocrats, they expand based on military might and conquest or sometimes trade

Hey bud (colloquial, not respectful)

Hey, buddy (respectful)

Hello sir (formal)

In Vietnamese, assume that you don’t need to factor in age diferences, it’s bạn/cậu (các bạn/các cậu for plural) for formal and mày (bọn mày) for informal

For the formal, respectful tone we use the third person as if it was second person.
For example:
>Would you like to sit here?
>Would the mister like to sit here?

You guys = plural (I don't think I've ever used you all)
You = singular

Informal
Nominative singular - Tы (Ty)
Accusative singular - Teбя (Tebya)
Genitive singular - Teбя (Tebya)
Dative singular - Teбe (Tebe)
Instrumental singular - Toбoй (Toboy)
Prepositional singular - Teбя (Tebe)

Formal
Nominative plural - Bы (Vy)
Accusative plural - Bac (Vas)
Genitive plural - Bac (Vas)
Dative plural - Baм (Vam)
Instrumental plural - Baми (Vami)
Prepositional plural - Bac (Vas)

Also don't forget about possessive pronouns for both formal and informal in 3 genders and 6 cases :^)

Attached: 1526683586613.jpg (640x478, 53K)

Umm it’s “youse” sweatie

fugg, i was using the phone

Du = informal
Ni = formal and for plural. Nobody speaks formally here unless you meet the king or some shit.

Galicia confirmed celtic

People THINK "ni" is formal or something, but the fact is that it was never really used that way. You adress the king as "ni", or a group; not *anyone* else. If you were formal back in the day, you did not use "du" or "ni", you used their title + surname, or Herr/Fru when speaking to them.

The formal Version is retreating in some places, but my greatgrandmother still had to adress her parents in formal speech

>tfw still use plural when addressing strangers when I'm back in ex-yu
>nobody else does it and probably thinks I'm some stuck up piece of shit
I'm just trying to be nice

Attached: 1475981639083.png (493x423, 52K)

its like when latinos visit spain and address us as "usted"
we feel like slave owners for a second talking to our servants

>Formal
Ustéd
>Informal
Vos

ela re malaka (colloquial)
elate re malaka (formal, respectful)

Du (singular)
Ni (plural)

Ni is also old timey formal singular but it's not really used anymore except ironically and maybe for royalty, no one likes to be called ni

Informal/Formal
Nominative - Ty/Vy
Genitive - Tebe or Tě/Vás
Dative - Tobě or Ti/Vám
Accusative - Tebe or Tě/Vás
Vocative - Ty/Vy
Locative - Tobě/Vás
Instrumental - Tebou/Vámi

>6 cases :^)
try 7 cases :^)

>Prepositional
I think that's called Locative (Mecтный пaдeж)

>vos
t. Alfonso Quijada de la Vega, siglo XII

jij/je
jullie
u(formal)