Why do Brits see Anglo-Saxons as ancestors and Normans as foreign invaders?

Why do Brits see Anglo-Saxons as ancestors and Normans as foreign invaders?

Attached: Timeline-of-1066-1024x371.jpg (1024x371, 170K)

Normans were nobles not settlers

Because there were a couple thousand at most and they brought nothing but misery to this country.

For propaganda purposes. They quickly fucked with the locals, and their descendants fucked with the locals, and we all mingled.

oh wah, foreigners, wah

Not strictly true, and we don't know exactly how many there were. Foot soldiers aren't noble in any sense of the word, and they were definitely a core of the invasion force.

the normans and anglo saxons also had catholicism in common, unlike the pagan danes, so I don't get where OP gets this idea that the normans are outsiders from.

I don't think you understand just how small William's invasion force was. On top of that it wasn't exclusively Norman so you could probably lop a few thousand off there, too. The lasting legacy of the Normans was in landholders and the clergy who were around a hundred or so Englishman pre-1066.

from what I get, 1066 is seen as a great tradegy in British history, as foreign invader managing to invade Britain for the first and only time.
While in reality, modern brits are probably a mix of Normans, Anglo-Saxons and Celts

>as foreign invader managing to invade Britain for the first and only time.

Huh?

Attached: neverconquered1.png (367x461, 17K)

Because Angles, Jutes, and Saxons, were Germanic but Normans were French by the time they invaded England and took over.

i thought normans were scandinavians

normans were a bit harsh on them
but it worked out fine for everybody in the end

Not after over 150 years in France

in reality neither is true
they're both long gone and the british nation was formed from the 1700s, centuries after their demise

But.. Modern brit nobility and royalty is norman..

Ease of lineage I suppose.

Reality is that "British" heritage is pretty much a gray area of Germanic, Romantic, and Celtic blood. First and foremost, Scottish and Welsh heritage is primarily Celtic, and has been pretty much indefinitely. Only the English really focus on the whole "Anglo-Saxon" bullshit.

>Romans
>Angles, Jutes, Saxons
>Danes
All three prior to the Normans... All of which with long lasting impact on the culture and lineage of the English people... What're you talking about?

Firstly it's not 'Brits' it's the English

Secondly, because the Anglo-Saxons created and fought for the country we know as England along with almost of our enduring culture, language and civil law amongst other things.

Attached: EnglaTocyme.png (1033x600, 103K)

>"Oh wah foreigners wah"

t,

Attached: soyboy2.jpg (643x638, 83K)

This, kek. Not to mention Angles, Saxons, and Jutes themselves.

Even before that everyone in England considered themselves English by the 1400s, some much before.

I see Anglo-Saxons as my ancestors.

And I'm Welsh.

Learn some history and you can answer that question OP.

And why not learn English history? It’s really interesting and the Germanic parts of English language are similar to German.
t. studied german in college, didn’t know English had so much Germanic influence

mong

Because the Normans, despite also being a (mostly) Germanic people, subjugated the Anglo-Saxons and betrayed their fellow Germanic man.

When you attack the "Eternal Anglo". who you should really be criticising are the Eternal Normans.

The fact we're called England is retarded anyway

Well some pope couldn't spell Angles so we're stuck with it.

Anglo saxons were colonists
Normans were conquerors
One left behind a genetic impact, the other left behind an ongoing ruling class

Attached: average BRITISH person.jpg (470x473, 45K)

Attached: 23456789876543.png (658x701, 76K)

interesting, the average brit is only 21.59% native

it's much higher in scotland, wales and ireland

likewise the celtic heritage in the english is a little bit lower

england's huge population relative to the other nations of the british isles skewers the results a bit

Mongrel race

Attached: file.png (800x437, 354K)

Attached: file.png (728x546, 579K)