DJT - Daily Japanese Thread #2078

DJT is a Japanese language learning thread for people interested in the language, anime, manga, visual novels, light novels and Japanese video games.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/library/cor.html
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread:

Attached: djt39.png (1350x1251, 1.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/nihongogamer
forum.koohii.com/thread-14904.html
uhpress.hawaii.edu/title/the-crab-cannery-ship-and-other-novels-of-struggle/
takiji-library.jp/announce/2007/20070927.html
takiji-library.jp/collection/read/kanikousen/kani_cmc.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

inb4 faggots complaining about the OP pic

四人輪になって飲んでいたのに、まだ飲み足りなかった一人が割り込んで行った。
「……んだべよ。四カ月も海の上だ。もう、これんかやれねべと思って……」
頑丈がんじょうな身体をしたのが、そう云って、厚い下唇を時々癖のように嘗なめながら眼を細めた。
「んで、財布これさ」
干柿のようなべったりした薄い蟇口がまぐちを眼の高さに振ってみせた。
「あの白首ごけ、身体こったらに小せえくせに、とても上手うめえがったどオ!」
「おい、止せ、止せ!」
「ええ、ええ、やれやれ」
相手はへへへへへと笑った。

Can someone explain what this dialogue is saying? The colloquial speech here is really confusing. Context is a bunch of working class fishermen are shooting the shit in the crew cabin while waiting for the boat to leave port.

>……んだべよ。四カ月も海の上だ。もう、これんかやれねべと思って……
だけどさ。四か月も海の上だ。もう、これしかできないと思って。
>んで、財布これさ
それで、財布がこれさ
>あの白首ごけ、身体こったらに小せえくせに、とても上手うめえがったどオ!

あの白首ごけ(後家?)、身体はこんなに小さいくせに、とても上手かったぞ!
*上手うめえ←typo?

Furigana

Thank you!
Also, sorry, those typos were my fault. As said, I copy+pasted the furigana into the text by accident.

there is no difference between Jow Forums and reddit, so this normie filter op pic is too strong です

>While the four of us were drinking, another guy who seems still thirsty for alcohol wedged himself into the circle.
>"You know, we have been on the ocean for good four months, so now I just wanna get laid somehow, desperately.."
>The guy, so beefy, licking his lower lip as if it was his habit, closed his eyes halfly after saying that.
>"So, this is my wallet"
>Swung his thin, sticky textured wallet like a dried persimmon at the level of his eyes.
>"That white necked widow, even though the body was this small, was so nice in bed"
>"Hey, stop that!"
>"OK!! carry on!"
>Hehehehe, The guy laughed.

I just attempted miserable translation, and will appreciate if you point out any mistakes.
And, that is a kind of dialect so there is no wonder you had such difficulty in deciphering it.

Reposting from the previous thread :
I just installed qolibri and it's a pretty cool program, only problem I have is that I can't link it to Firefox for web search, since I get this error when I try to initiate one.
Anyone else itt had this problem?

Attached: ss (2018-11-11 at 01.15.09).png (1040x634, 136K)

In fact, I am also quite unsure which fact the dialogue is telling
1. The beefy guy is showing off his deed with the widow who is practically amateure prositute.
2. The guy is showing off his getting laid with that widow who was also thirsty for men , and successfully stealing her wallet as well
3. While the beefy guy is tortured by his thirsty for women, another one, one of the four, is annoying him with telling his deed with the widow.
It should be clarified by the context, anyway.

Thank you, that's very helpful

From the context of the book, what happened is 1. The beefy guy is boasting about sleeping with the widow, and showing off his empty wallet to imply that he used all his money to pay her for sex.

>While the four of *them* were drinking, another guy who still seemed thirsty for alcohol wedged himself into the circle.
The text is an extract from the proletarian novel「蟹工船」, which is written in the third-person and has almost no individual characters, so "them" makes more sense in context.
>"You know, we have been on the ocean for *a* good four months, so now I just wanna get laid somehow, desperately.."
"four months" requires an article.
>>The guy, so beefy, licking his lower lip as if it was his habit, closed his eyes *halfway* after saying that.
halfly (is not a word) -> halfway
>"So, this is my wallet"
>*He* swung his thin, sticky textured wallet like a dried persimmon at *eye level*.
"At the level of his eyes" is grammatically correct, but the idiomatic term "eye level" would sound more natural.
>"That white necked widow, even though *her* body was *that/so* small, was so nice in bed"
the -> her (use a possessive pronoun to indicate that "the body" was "the widow's body")
this -> that/so ("this" is the right literal translation, and it is grammatically correct. However, in English it would sound more natural for the speaker to refer to the widow's body with the adverb "that" or "so", because the widow's body is temporally and spatially distanced from the speaker. On the other hand, if the speaker was gesturing with his hands while he was speaking, or if he made some other sort of immediate demonstration of the size of the widow's body (such as showing a picture of it), "this" would be appropriate.)
>"Hey, stop that!"
>"OK!! carry on!"
>Hehehehe, *his companions* laughed.

>*He* swung his thin, sticky textured wallet like a dried persimmon at *eye level*

Also, to make this sentence less ambiguous, it could be rephrased like this:

>He swung his thin, sticky textured wallet, which resembled a dried persimmon, at eye level.

This makes it clear that 干柿のような modifies がまぐち (I.e. it is a 干し柿のようながまぐち). Otherwise, the english sentence could be interpreted as meaning "He swung his wallet like a dried persimmon" (I.e. 干柿のようにがまぐちを振るってみせた)

Thank you so much!!
>蟹工船
Even though I read it in a comic version as well as the original novel, I couldn't remember that scene, to be ashamed..
> if the speaker was gesturing with his hands while he was speaking
I think this is really likely to be what the author intended, so just use "this"..
>swung like a dried persimmon
>干柿のようにがまぐちを振るってみせた
It 's really helpful, thanks again!!

Attached: kanikousen.jpg (350x367, 180K)

BTW, the comic I actually read was this one though.

Attached: kanikousen_boku.jpg (768x1024, 200K)

>I read it in a comic version as well as the original novel

そして労働運動者になろうと気になってきたですか?

I just wanna devote myself on the behalf of ordinary citizens, and animes.
And
>になろうと気になってきた
should be (definitely..)
>になろうと"言う"気になってきた
>になろう"って"気になってきた
>になる気になってきた
And in either case, it should be followed by "の" or "ん".
>きたん(の)ですか
AS for "と言う", maybe you can find proper explanation in some grammer guide, however particle "の" here works as citation of the clause prior to it and it should be followed by suitable verb (maybe.. I am not so versed in the grammar) in adjective form, therefore "と言う". Or just omit the "と" and make the verb located before it adjective form, as "気" is a noun.
>"と言う" is a super common saying so refer a grammer guide and make it sure please!
As for "の" and "ん", they are substitution of 形式名詞(formal nouns), like "もの", as auxiliary "です" can't follow adverbs and verbs, you should add those formal nouns to the clause and make it a nominal clause.
>there are some exceptions though..sorry for my incompetence.

Attached: president.jpg (928x715, 506K)

Thanks for the corrections!

じゃ、言い換えればーー
アジテーションのようなその小説を読んだら、革命の先駆者として命をかけて闘う覚悟を決めたんですか?(まあからかい半分の内容はともかく、文法は?)

looks almost like 険

検査

紐組

Attached: poputepi22.png (500x341, 99K)

Attached: 1534566578714.jpg (771x960, 173K)

Attached: poputepi72.png (1920x1080, 2.98M)

そんな物を見ることだけで俺の腹がくるしむんだよ

Attached: 1541444611903.gif (470x395, 1.01M)

Attached: evangelion6.jpg (1200x872, 202K)

資本主義がきまりきった所だけの利潤では行き詰まり、金利が下がって、金がダブついてくると、「文字通り」どんな事でもするし、どんな所へでも、死物狂いで血路を求め出してくる。

Is 行き詰まり in this sentence a noun or a verb in the continuative form? (I'm assuming it's the latter because there's no copula だ/で) Also, this sentence is confusing me a bit because of the presence of at least two conditional conjunctions (では and と). Is the basic structure something like this?

>資本主義が[...]行き詰まり、金利が下がって、金がダブついてくると、[...]血路を求め出してくる。
=
>資本主義が[...]血路を求め出してくる。
=

If Capitalism relies only on the profits from its usual places it will come to a deadlock, and interest rates will drop and excess money will pile up. When that happens, capitalism will "literally" doing anything and go anywhere as it begins a frenzied search for a way out.

Typo

>capitalism will "literally" do* anything

I think your assumption is correct, it is a verb in the 連用形 conjunctive form.
>資本主義がきまりきった所だけの利潤では行き詰まり、金利が下がって、金がダブついてくると、
When the capitalist system finds that its usual sources of profit begin to no longer suffice, and interest rates drop and inflation begins to spiral out of control...
>「文字通り」どんな事でもするし、どんな所へでも、死物狂いで血路を求め出してくる。
Then it will do literally anything, and go anywhere at all in search of a means of survival as it enters into its final throes of death.

危なかった

Attached: 1514122373902.png (449x425, 318K)

見つけた

source on pic?

Anki does what Memrise don't

Attached: 1534631033473.jpg (225x225, 10K)

>there is no difference between Jow Forums and reddit
what did he mean by this

参加

Attached: MV5BMDVhMDQ0OWQtNmU5Zi00M2JhLTgzOTItOTQ4ZTVlNjQ5YWUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,17 (1777x999, 162K)

Attached: OVNZwZJ.png (500x1271, 618K)

OMEGALUL

死にたいくらい退屈するって気持ちが分かる?

Attached: 終わりにしよう.jpg (1032x1140, 648K)

The Japanese really do bow. The Japanese office of my firm visited a few days ago. They all wore the same suits and bowed whenever they entered a room. They all chanted something whenever a certain person entered. It was funny. A couple of the girls were cute. They all kept to themselves, though. None of us knew why they were here.

smashed that like button

I'm guessing it was a "we own the company so we have to keep appearances that we're keeping tabs on you" sort of deal?
Did you try to use the Japanese you've learned with them at all?

今天的天气很冷
太冷了
Brrrr。。。。

>气

i only came to say you always have nicely made OP pictures

你认识这些汉字吗
你为什么不喜欢简化字

rev up those mining decks lads
壁蝨
赤翡翠
偽背丸標本虫
雪隠黄金
紋黄蝶
糞転がし
揚羽
褄黒大横這い

大和蜆蝶

首切螽蟖
林の馬追
糸蜻蛉
秋茜
水蟇
蜊蛄
鱈場蟹
貝被
鸊鷉
蚰蜒
鈴虫
宿借り
茅蜩
越年蜻蛉
浪速蜻蛉
薄羽黄蜻蛉
轡虫
蚊蜻蛉

Attached: djt-pow-camp-1943.png (600x500, 365K)

Literally 0-1 of these are worth actually mining.

Time to rev up your English mining deck!
redolent
deracinate
fuliginous
opsimath
sedulous
legerdemain
adumbrate
svelte
embonpoint

Attached: 463566.jpg (600x450, 27K)

But redolent, deracinate, legerdemain, adumbrate, and svelte are all relatively common literary words. So either you've chosen poor examples for your comparison, or Ausstralianon's words actually are worth mining for people who have any interest in reading real Japanese literature.

any cool youtubers or streamers that teach you japanese by playing games??

kinda like this guy twitch.tv/nihongogamer

excuse me but do you mean to say that manga and visual novels don't count as real Japanese literature

イタイ

Manga is eating, VNs are sleeping, LNs are swimming, full novels are gardening
games are just folly

日本語は生きがいが一つだけ、これをじゃなくても死んだほうがいい
それでも、生きの理由はあまりない
頑張っているけどどうして?
お願い!

Attached: iu[1].jpg (600x340, 30K)

You can start by learning how to speak Japanese...

俺も賛成

黒髪は正義です

Attached: 9acd253905b6f8bc5c67b6e92a2281a4.jpg (600x839, 47K)

I found a super useful addon for android devices, it's called nazeka and works the same as rikaichan on desktop
pic related, you should add it to the guide
forum.koohii.com/thread-14904.html

Attached: nazeka android firefox.png (800x1183, 490K)

>mobile devices
LOL

>簡体字

>I have to share a flag with retards like this

Consider suicide, mobileshitter

They was merely talking about women like cheap whores or sluts
小林多喜二の蟹工船やね
英訳本も出ている
uhpress.hawaii.edu/title/the-crab-cannery-ship-and-other-novels-of-struggle/
で、この「白首」とは、首に白粉(おしろい)を塗った安っぽい娼婦・風俗嬢のこと
つまり
They was talking about whore sluts
バカか?
白首とは prostitute
やるは have a sex
was so nice in bed
ケロケロ
ここは、思いっきり下衆っぽく訳せや
なにカマトトぶって、お上品に訳しているの?
バカですか?

Attached: DmqOKQKU4AI3xmP.jpg (960x540, 34K)

you are one of the worst posters in this thread, along with the pole

英語全くできないくせに

bye then, softcunt

いけね
They *were merely talking about women like cheap whores or sluts
日本人なので仕方がない
悪いか?
訳本も出ているのだから
それを読めばいいんだよ
アニメやエロゲをくさしまくる、あの女
ホンマにアホとしか思っていないわ

Attached: DmqOTyJU8AAH1FP.jpg (638x359, 18K)

Attached: 06c2a0e6b2601140161c52d43a56b728.jpg (1500x1500, 567K)

>$25.00

高すぎる

人生死ぬまでの暇つぶしだよ
It is the manner as social courtesy when greeting someone.
If you come to Japan, you have to bow.
それは中国語
多分、寒いと言っているのだろう
いや、80%以上の日本人は読めない
ワイですら、4つも読めない
修士でもその程度
エロゲを「読ん」でfapしよう
Who is your favorite in animu character with black hair
for example ; 澪、える、黒雪姫・・・
ワイは渋谷凛ちゃんやね
ワイは窓際で普段は暇なのよ。
だから、ここで遊んでいるんじゃない。
教員とかは暇ならしいな。
Your ridiculous business is unsightly.
Unless you know Japanese words, it seems just to be a mere nonsensical moron.
That's your business.
蟹工船の漫画もあるって貼られているか
よく探せばタダのものもあるやろうね。
って
あったわ
takiji-library.jp/announce/2007/20070927.html
それから、アニメ「ゴールデンカムイ」にニシン船なんかの作業員の宿舎の会話なんかも出て来るので見るとよい。
渋谷凛ちゃん貼るつもりだったまに予定変更だぜ。
で、白首は読みこそ「ごけ」だが、意味は下記のとおり

白首【ごけ・しろくび・しらくび】とは
下等な売春婦。白粉(おしろい)を首までつけて顔の悪いのを隠していたのが語源。

Attached: ce9e75329d6af.jpg (1191x1684, 140K)

I need a list of 掲示板俗語!
How do I say OP? Bump? Sauce? 等

Attached: 1530595415788.jpg (512x512, 24K)

one of your words is here:

スクショを貼っておこう
上で貼ってあるものと同じだが
右に「白首(しろくび)」についての注釈が載っている
読みも「ごげ」ではなく「しろくび」のようだ
takiji-library.jp/collection/read/kanikousen/kani_cmc.pdf

Attached: それ.png (899x639, 426K)

>だ~ ったく!ベタベタすんじゃねえっての!
>Seriously! Don't be so clingy!
is this it?

Maybe it means:
Don't flirt with me.

I understand the rough meaning, but give me context.

Attached: __honda_hanako_asobi_asobase_drawn_by_sekina__sample-3515e6be6428a3a86a738e9dad427025.jpg (850x1200, 150K)

This insecure chick is asking a guy if she or one of his male friends is more important to him

he wants context in jap, just post it all

Stupid idiots need to learn that "context" means "the surrounding text" and not "a quick summary of the story so far in your own words."

The fact that you are asking a question about Japanese means that you may be misunderstanding other parts of the text without realizing, and even if you aren't there's no guarantee that you will include all of the necessary relevant information in your retelling. And reading some random guy's retelling of some random story is really boring and annoying, on top of not being very helpful at all.

>inb4 faggots complaining about the OP pic
That OP pic makes me work harder for some reason.

>Stupid idiots need to learn that "context" means "the surrounding text" and not "a quick summary of the story so far in your own words."
depends on what you're reading

Make it your wallpaper to always be motivated to do your reps

value post, this needs to go in the guide or the OP

ITT: learning english 101 word by word. Todays word is 'context'.

>ゲジゲジ
死ねええええ

Attached: oogeji039-300x225.jpg (300x225, 22K)

Kill yourself worthless mobile kiddie

Attached: 1534087353606.jpg (1200x960, 326K)

I only know bottom right and top right. Am I too old?

you haven't read のんのんびより?

That's 暗記新幹線 though

test

>新幹線

Attached: 345346765.png (822x335, 344K)

>asking a guy if she or one of his male friends is more important to him
>one of his male friends
まあ、典型的な「デレ dere」だね
つまり、
男と女の関係、男と男の関係(BLかよ、笑う)で、アニメや漫画なら別の言い方をすれば、「全くっ、デレるんじゃない」ということ。

「べたべたする」を直訳すれば
of someone like a woman to be too close to a man as if it were sticky
という感じ、英語として意味がとおるかどうかは知らない
clingyと書いているので意味はわかっているようだ。辞書引いたわ

asking who is more important to himということなら、意味的にはデレなので、デレているの英訳として lovey‐dovey, lovestruck, exhausted, logy
とかデレるの訳としてto act lovestruck; to be fawning; to act affectionate
恋愛に関する表現なら使えるだろうな。

だ~ ったく!=全く(まったく)
まあ、反射的にnot at allとかby all meansというのが頭に浮かぶが、
この場合の意味は、
I told you to stop doing it already but you are doing still now / you do again
まったく、やめろっていったのに、まだやっている(また、やっている)
というようなことでしょう。

Seriously! マジで
間違いではないが、なんか違う。
ここはShit! とかDamn!に近い感じ。

それをどう英語で書くかだな
first choiceは上で直感的に書いたとおり
Shit! Don't flirt with me

相手が男だったら、こう言うね
Gross! Don't fawn on me
I never love you as my sexual partner

ちなみに、
I don't intend to spoil you to me
英語としてどう?
まあ、落ち着け
ここは、そんな奴ばかりだということは分っているので
GROSS
かわいい女の子を貼ってよ

Attached: 1536539540201.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Rice Rice konichiwa
[spioler]am I doing it right?[/spoiler]

[spioler]No[/spoiler]

test

Attached: cd184979.jpg (300x370, 35K)

test

>I don't intend to spoil you to me
>英語としてどう?
意味不明な片言.
The verb "spoil" is almost never used with an indirect object in this manner.
And in the context of the question you are attempting to answer, the word "spoil" is inappropriate as it is primarily used in reference to ward and caretaker relationships, such as that between parent and child, and often implies some sort of material support in the form of money or possessions. So if you tried to say that a girl was being spoiled by her boyfriend, in many cases it would have the nuance that the boyfriend is acting like the girl's father, buying her everything she needs and giving her spending money, and would sound kind of creepy.

But no matter the situation, you can spoil someone but not spoil them to something. "I do not intend to spoil you" is grammatically correct (and sounds like a father warning his child).

A ベタベタする女 in English would generally be described as clingy or needy. ベタベタするな might be "stop being so clingy" or "don't be so needy." If you want to sound rough and angry, maybe you might say "Jesus fucking Christ, woman! Give me some goddamn space!" (literally 離れろ, 距離を開けろ).

But then, you probably won't understand this any better than you understand all the questions written in English that you're constantly trying to answer so I don't know why I bothered.