/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to practice your target language with!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own! (embed)

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (just one (embed))
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

/Lang/ is currently short on those image qts, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to read the OP; nobody embeds anyway and yet here we are embedding!

Mega link with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Ideally take a class, otherwise buy (torrent) a well-received textbook for your language, google any grammar you have trouble with and no matter what do lots of translation exercises but post an apu if you actually read this but I doubt it
>Will I learn a language by using Duolingo five minutes a day while taking a shit
depends how many shits
>I'm going to use Duolingo anyway
If on your phone, use the mobile site and NOT the app; the latter lacks many important features and doesn't let you turn the word bank off which should always be off. In addition don't copy-paste or memorize answers for the sake of completing lessons, as above, google anything you don't understand
>Should I learn X to get a qt wife/gf (male) etc?
No
>Should I learn X because of my heritage
learn Y instead

>What language should I learn
Swedish
>I just want something easy and somewhat useful
Danish
>I want a language that's useful and fun but not too hard
Norwegian
>I want a language that's useful and embrace a challenge
Old English

Old thread

Attached: brief ramblings.png (713x116, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_8QlDBDNFwc
youtube.com/watch?v=ohuZ87fCiSk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>page 7

Sieht nicht gut aus, Brudi

this thread deserves to die, the last one barely had 10 replies and died, after being spawned hours later from the previous
/lang/ is dead and this cancerous board is the worst place for it

why can't there be a nice slow board with flags, it's literally all that's needed for us to have a nice and comfy time, not worrying about our poor general

Unironically just move to /his/, it's a slower board that might give a chance for generals like these to survive.
'& Humanities' can be used as an excuse.

the threads have been fairly active as far as i've noticed, not sure what you guys are talking about

>oh no the general sometimes dies :(
Let me go do what ever other general does and spam/waifu lewd trash, circlejerk and cry about literally everything if you want it to be more active

no, I know that's what actually keeps other generals alive, I already shitpost/blogpost/cry more than needed, I hate the rampant shitposting prevalent in all the circlejerk generals, it's impossible to talk about anything in those
we already had this debate some time ago, there just isn't a slow board with flags and that's that

there's a small chance that the overhaul of all safe boards to the new domain will be beneficial but i guess we'll see
well ok maybe it's just not that big of a deal if the general died every now and then, I just imagine that some people would want to contribute while it's dead and then can't etc etc

>>What language are you learning?
Japanese right now, but I've had a growing urge to try learning Mandarin for a while now. I think I might take it on on the side within the next few days, provided I can find some good resource that will get my brain recognising the tones.

>>Share language learning experiences!
My Japanese is coming along pretty well now. Grammar-wise, I can understand a lot, but my vocabulary is what's holding me back. Fluency doesn't feel so far out of reach anymore (though I still have a way to go).

If I could give any tips on learning, the best one would probably be: Don't overcomplicate things.

The simplest approach really does seem to be the best. Learn how the language sounds, get the writing system down (ignore kanji), read through a beginner guide like Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar without worrying about memorising anything, then just dive straight into native media and make your way through it. Don't understand a sentence? Don't worry, just move on. When you've seen a word a few times and decide that it's worth remembering, make a card for it in Anki* with the help of an add-on like Nazeka or Yomichan (I didn't do this in the beginning and I seriously regret it).

I tried lots of other stuff besides this and it all turned out to be a waste of time.

* I recommend having the word in kanji on the front of the card, and the reading (in hiragana) and meaning on the back. Don't worry about whether you remembered what the word meant or not when doing your reviews, just concentrate on learning to read the word correctly. The meaning should just be there to refresh your memory if you ever find yourself thinking "wait, what did this mean again?".

Why do you need flags? For trust?
If that's the case it's a pretty stupid thing to do, I wouldn't trust anyone with a non-European/American flag to actually be from the country where the flag originates.

Looking for a language to learn. Thinking about french or german, but german doesn't seem very useful. Any suggestions?
>What language should I learn
>Swedish
>I just want something easy and somewhat useful
>Danish
>I want a language that's useful and fun but not too hard
>Norwegian
am I being memed?

I think I'm average it helps with various discussions when it comes to the background of the learner and when trying to address people from specific cunts
maybe there is indeed the matter of trust when someone corrects your stuff, I doubt there's rampant vpns and such but anyway, maybe besides the point
I think flags help quite a bit

For a Brazilian, I would recommend that you learn French.
Not only is it another Romance language, making grammar easier for native speakers of Portuguese, but it will also make you sound incredibly homosexual and flamboyant.

>Danish
>somewhat useful
>Norwegian
>useful
>am I being memed?
Do you really need to ask?

I think you have your priorities all wrong, anyway. With the amount of time it takes to learn a language, you are never going to make it it isn't something that you're actually interested in. If you're only learning because someone else told you to, then I don't think you're going to see it through to the end.

If there's some language that you actually like with media that you're interested in, go for that and forget what anyone else thinks about it being easy/hard or useful/useless.

>am I being memed?
are you new?

Absolutely this. Frankly, if you have to ask what language to learn, then you're not gonna learn it. You need your own drive and passion. Not a template for "usefulness".

translate, please!
youtube.com/watch?v=_8QlDBDNFwc

What do I need to have a burning passion to do anything? I just want to learn something new and be a more interesting person.
Yeah it would be nice to understand godard and camus but there's also other stuff I'm interested in which I'll miss out on.

Before I start translating Norwegian, I has a question: is this guy even speaking Norwegian? Once I "translated" an entire conversation into Norwegian and later I found out it was in Swedish.

youtube.com/watch?v=ohuZ87fCiSk

Learning something for the sake of learning doesn't work very well. You need your own motivation, whatever that might be.

> every time we go out, people say lewd things to us

Attached: Untitled.png (1075x605, 482K)

He's speaking Danish.

>vi regerer Östlandet
>Vestlandet står för tur
>og snart vil kirken ha magten i hele Norges rige
>men ett ting står tilbage

(ö = slashed o)

What do uni/college language courses offer you that you can't get from online resources, books, and talking to native speakers?

Structure, physical motivation, someone far more convenient to ask questions to, tests and such

Instead of using google, you can pose your questions to someone IRL like a caveman.

That's about it.

>t. unironic zoomer

Based bugmen

> He's speaking Danish.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't wait for December, then the new years resolution people will come and help our general

I can't wait to die.

what is the """best""" general on Jow Forums? will base my next language on that

/lang/ by far so good luck. The nordic ones are usually okay, /deutsch/, english and spanish speaking generals are abysmal

>The nordic ones are usually okay
Sverigetråden hasn't been even remotely okay for several years now. It used to be a really good place, but that ship has sailed since long. There's some REALLY fucked up shit going on in there nowadays along with stale memes from yesteryear. Norgetråden looks alright, but I don't frequent it so I don't know and I never open Danmarkstråden nor /mämmi/.

Attached: SvTs drastiska nedgång - en tidslinje.png (2920x1200, 514K)

Admittedly I haven't been to Sverigetråden much but if it's any better than autistic screeching about jews/assorted hate speech it beats the kraut autism

well, do you like trannies who shove flashlights up their asses, anime gay roleplaying, furshit, edgy muslimposting and regurgitated stale memes with no innovation what so ever then you'll like Sverigetråden anno 2018

going to line up all OECD countries into a randomizer and learn the language of whatever place I get, other than east asian languages and english

Any French fags here? Does France have a 24 hour cooking channel like other countries?

Thread could easily be moved to /lit/ as well

Or don't put it on a dead board

>page 7

Why are my dumbfuck ramblings in the OP

Isn't that like all generals on Jow Forums? lmao. Even /MENA/ fits that description.

I found that post funny.

Fair enough.

>I found that post funny.
:3c

the Swede apparently likes publicity shaming us by taking screenshots of our rants and reposting them

Never relax around sw*Doids

oh finnbro, those days are over, it's safe(r) now
>tfw heard more swedish than Finnish during the time here
they've really made a bubble for themselves
are ther any finoswedes on /lang/ or Jow Forums in general?

???

>are ther any finoswedes on /lang/ or Jow Forums in general?
Yes, plenty. We've had quite a few in Sverigetråden.

reposting old challenge since not that many went through it before the thread died

broken heart by Finnish qts edition (and Chelsea Wolfe lyrics)

helppo
>Nobody said I was alive
>Poison helps me
>I ate there many times (in the sense of a restaurant)
>Would you like some more?
>Easy is not easy

keskikokoinen
>How many years have I been sleeping?
>I have been estranged from by people
>You said it was the first time.
>How would you compare religions?
>The school had been replaced by a bar.
>He had set a very high standard for performance.

vaikea
>It would have never worked, there was too much distance between us. (distance in the literal sense)
>Longing for the quietness of that place reminded him how little he had in common with society.
>She raised her eyebrows in curious anticipation of what would follow.
>Her waving hand was met with surprising politeness and a cold goodbye.
>Like train tracks intersecting after having never met, they parted just as quickly.
>The perfume brough about a harsh realization of what would follow.

hardcore
>talk about your feelings in your target language, aim for at least ~1k characters or about half a 4chin post

from previous
is this how you translate this
my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

私の嫁ちの。。。欲しはファックちの お願いちのはほんとにかわいい私の嫁ちの可愛ちのちゃんセックスちの、もっとかふうちのは欲しい

I find it surprising that finoswedes still haven't integrated and from what I can tell a lot of them speak really bad Finnish. Which of course makes sense given the situation (everything is also in swedish, they have fairly closed social circles, etc), but to an outsider this seems odd at first; a qt said she spoke French better than Finnish...
It's of course the same with immigrants in NL

Бeйcд

I'm not sure what you mean by integration. They're natives. What is there to integrate? Save for not everyone speaking Finnish or Finnish perfectly (which they don't need to since both languages are official), there isn't any integration to be had.

well yea I mainly meant the language part, and they also seem to mostly have other finoswede friends
to me it felt a bit like two different cultures just happening to live on the same piece of land, but indeed it's not that "severe", finoswedes seem to act just like fins, as far as I could tell (or at least not like swedes, which was more than obvious when there were actual swedes around)

Attached: christmas.jpg (1130x716, 102K)

Чьeй is the same pronunciation as чeй right

Fennoswedes have their own identity, they don't consider themselves Swedes nor Finns. Some speak both languages, and it's necessary to speak both to an extent in the areas where Fennoswedes and Finns reside together. Fennoswedes are a small percentage of Finland's population, but they're concentrated and thus have their own communities for that reason.

where is that jap user when u need him

Attached: 1584949288499.jpg (850x637, 68K)

I'll give it a shot in Hungarian but please no bully

helppo
誰一人も言えは私生きますない
中毒助け私
行きましょう食べる何回も、このレストランです
時間もっとが欲しです?
簡単いえ簡単
keskikokoinen
寝たる年どこだ?
my wife chino... 人間私よそ者
初めにあなたわ話しです I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
宗教はどうこだみわける? please chino is so cute
学校はバル換えるです

>prepares bullying tactics
go on user...

bump, you fools

Herro

Attached: Screenshot_20181119-152637~2.png (1080x792, 605K)

Why are threads slow? Or has this been a trend? I'm quite new to these /lang/ threads, so I'm genuinely curious. I do enjoy my time here, for what it's worth.

Are you enjoying your time in Binland? I'm quite jealous desu :)

Attached: Stares-In-Finnish.jpg (946x801, 99K)

Fun fact: the pronounciation of that word closely resembles the word tjej meaning girl in Swedish

I've been learning Russian for the last eight years just out of interest but it's really accelerated in the last year and a half since I befriended some Russians that lived in my uni halls. Now I can hold a basic conversation ("how are you, how was your weekend, I went to the cinema" etc) and my reading comprehension is a lot better than my spoken Russian.

Attached: kot.jpg (960x752, 109K)

Кaк тeбя зoвyт?
Хyй
Cyкa
Блять
..is about as far as I got lol, godspeed user

well I'm at the airport but it was too comfy, highly recommend it, but try to find some locals to show you around or so, otherwise it might feel rather lonely
I was making small talk with a British barman and everyone was quite surprised, to give a hint at what people here are like
but it's all very quiet and neat and cutest organized; fucking cold tho, go in summer
I think I'll go again at some point when it's warmer

thread activity varies a lot depending on who is active, it only takes a few people to keep it going steady

Easy:
>Nadi dijo que yo tenía vida (I don’t know the word for alive)
>El veneno me ayuda
>Comía allá muchos veces
>Te gustaría más?
>Fácil no es fácil.
Medium
No puedo :(

so they are like pajeets? too bad i don't speak japanese. i only heard gaijin

Well they are basically saying that every time they go out they are being harassed, spit on, etc. And they curse a lot. They asked them what "dick" was in English. And then she says oh my fucking good etc. And he goes "pussy anaconda". And spits on her. And she goes what the fuck every time we go out something happens. We got spit on by men on camera. Are you gonna cry? etc

How'd it go mate?

I'm still in a dead lock between Chink, Russian and Persian.

At least im doing my daily Italian.

мoя книгa

In German, what preposition goes with ‘stolpern’ and what case does the prepositional object take?

чeй = чьэй = чэй (chei), but чьeй = чйэй (ch-yei). A second /j/ appears.

What's your Chinese level? I have a little chink discord I could add you too, drop your discord and we'll talk

über + accusative
zB: Er ist über einen Stein gestolpert.

Thanks! Another question: are the ‘embarrassed’ meanings of ‘betreten’ and ‘verlegen’ completely identical in nuance and frequency?

I never hear 'betreten' ever, especially not to mean a Person. The only common usage I can think of is 'betretendes Schweigen' -- 'embarrassing Silence'. 'Verlegen is the standard term to describe someone who is embarrassed. Alternatively you can say that somebody is 'peinlich berührt'.

"betreten" is being embarassment because of something that happened (e.g. a tasteless joke), whereas "verlegen" is more of an awkward feeling from not knowing what to do or say. Both are rather formal and much less frequent than "peinlich".

Thanks guys! You are genuinely helping me with German.

You're welcome fren. I like your enthusiasm.

Attached: 1539797916041.png (746x512, 99K)

eeeeeen we zijn terug in het land van lawaai, allochtonen, en regen
maar ook goedkope bier dus ik kan niet echt klagen

You're much more likely to express "to be embarassed" with "peinlich + Dativ".

She was embarassed by his question. Seine Frage war ihr peinlich.
I'm so embarassed about it. Das ist mir so peinlich.
etc.

betreten is extremely niche. verlegen has its uses but it's rarely the most intuitive choice to translate the English embarrassed.

But as an adverb (kinda), is ‘verlegen’ more appropriate than the way of saying it that you mention?

How can you add layouts of alphabets whose languages aren't supported by windows?

Depends on the context.
You can use verlegen as an adverb as in verlegen antworten or verlegen schweigen, but not peinlich, which means embarassing by itself and embarassed when used with the Dativ.

>>What language should I learn
>Swedish
>>I just want something easy and somewhat useful
>Danish
>>I want a language that's useful and fun but not too hard
>Norwegian
>>I want a language that's useful and embrace a challenge
>Old English

What a biased list. The language you need to learn is Somali.

>Will I learn a language by using Duolingo five minutes a day while taking a shit
>depends how many shits
big kek
>The word ‘gehüllt’ takes the preposition ‘in’ — seems alright — and the ACCUSATIVE case
please no

Attached: 29e.jpg (600x885, 35K)

"etw in etw hüllen" is a targeted movement, that's why it needs the accusative.

아무도 제가 살아 있는다고 말하지 않았다
독은 절 도온다.
많은 번째에 저기에서 먹었다.
좀 더 먹어 주세요?
쉬운 문장이 안 쉬운다.

몇 년동안에 전 잤다?
전 사람들에 은둔자가 됬다.
넌 쳇 번째인다고 말했다.
넌 종교를 어떻게 비한다?
그 학교는 술집에 대체됐다.
그는 이 능력에 대해 아주 높은 기대를 있었다. (?)

계획은 절대 성공하지 않걸 그랬았어요. 우리 사이는 멀었거든요.

welkom terug user :3

Attached: DSC_0057.jpg (1920x514, 143K)

Are those your Dutch exam results?

ja, ik ben in afwachting van die andere twee (spreekvaardigheid en schrijfvaardigheid)
>tfw all that lost luggage

Attached: file.png (635x764, 992K)

I thought that's what ъ was supposed to do. Anyway thanks

What is a good Russian textbook that skips past the alphabet and pronunciation and goes right into vocabulary and grammar?

You can just skip the alphabet/pronunciation you know. The New Penguin is generally considered good and PDFs are easily findable but it does start with alphabet and such

no
/his/ is fucking terrible
it used to be my main board, but the truth is, it sucks
bunch of retards arguing about shit they don't actually know anything about

>deze man haalt tienen
Geintje, goed gedaan makker.
Heb het veel minder druk inmiddels.
Denk dat ik weer eens een challenge zal maken.

Attached: 1535915547044.jpg (657x527, 56K)

niemand hat dass ich leben gesagt
das Gift hilft mich
Ich habe da oft gegessen
willst du mehr?
einfach ist nicht einfach