Is saving money common in your country?

Is saving money common in your country?
I moved to the United States from Chile and Ibam surprised that a lot of my colleagues always claim to have little to no money in the bank. Why is this?

Attached: 969FCA52-4CCE-47D0-8505-A1AF38EB5E24.jpg (683x1024, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bankrate.com/credit-cards/low-interest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

rampant consumerism and stupid people. you should know this by now weon.

How much did you save?
How long have you been living in the US?
Do you miss your family?
Are you happier?
Was it too hard to get a citizenship? How did you get it?

I have only a few thousand dollars in the banks because I am very heavily in debt because of buying a house and putting a down payment.

I have been living in the United States for five years.

Sometimes I do but not too much.

I am happy here but I dislike a lot of aspects of Americans.

I do not have citizenship, just permanent residency. I got it by being hired by an electronics company.

Thanks.

I want leave this country but I have no idea how.

very common here. we were hard abroad come back home and save our money so we dont have to go back abroad for as long as possible

Attached: 1528336789729.png (1293x1911, 1.68M)

i have 20k/euro saved. which in bulgaria is about 3 years of living expenses or maybe 4 if you are cheap. i saved that in just six months working abroad. so was good for me

Computer science is your best bet, friend. Maybe EE too.

Most Americans don't save for shit because they would rather have the newest, nicest things. The people who do save and invest easily become millionaires though.
t. saved and invested since I was 19 and now I have 970k in assets and another 50k in the bank

It depends on where you live. If you live in a big city its pretty difficult to save money even with a good job due to the high cost of living. If you live in bum fuck nowhere its a lot easier to save money even with a low paying job since the cost of living is extremely low.

When I lived in Chicago I was basically broke 24/7 from just paying for rent/food/transportation even though I had a high paying job and worked full time. I moved to rural Arizona and worked a low tier part time job and within a couple years I had still saved up more money than I ever did in my whole life in Chicago.

Attached: 131119115632-rob-ford-milk-mustached---restricted-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg (980x552, 150K)

Food in America is really expensive.

Degenerate lifestyle

Well, people tend to buy things they need when they need them not when they save enough to buy them. That makes sense to me. But some people go full retard mode and end up with a huge debt. That's changing though. A lot of people are a lot more disciplined about the finances since the 2008 crisis.

it's the opposite retard
Rich flyover masterrace reporting in

Attached: nigga what.png (535x238, 187K)

nobody asked you, dipshit

>saved that in just six months working abroad. so was good for me
What kind fo fucking job in what cunt did you do? That's more then what a mid-high tier italian worker would make before living expenses.

He's got Swiss citizenship

switzerland. software dev contract for 6mo

Oh right you are the swiss. I remember seeing you around, but didn't connect the dots.

How does this lifestyle work? Did you do this hoard and consume cycle many times? Is it really viable or do you have trouble finding another job after taking that break? I imagine a 3 years break could make it hard to find a new job.

> Ibam surprised that a lot of my colleagues always claim to have little to no money in the bank

Because burgers are dumb sheeple that need to expend all their salary every month or they might get called commies and sent to Russia.

If you work at a decent electronics company, your employer probably offers a 401k with a good match. So most people contribute to their retirement account. And a lot of people also have a trading account so they invest in stocks.

so far worked out fine. there will always be work for people to fill in for maternity leave / sick leave people that most "real" workers dont want because of limited time (3/6mo) and since i own a small home in switzerland my expenses when i live there are very low.

to avoid holes in my resume i just have a fake company i "work" for here.

40% of Americans cannot afford an unexpected $400 expense. 38% of Americans are in credit card debt.

This is unironically why, at the end of the day, I am politically conservative. Fuck them, their decisions put them there.

recent study by RTS (Swiss news) shows that something like 60% or more of swiss couldn't afford the premium of their health insurnace (part they need to pay before insurance will pay, usually between 500-2500CHF). and Switzerland is supposedly rich. everyone on earth is being turned into a slave living paycheck to paycheck as your expression goes

What's wrong with having debt? That's how the market economy works. You borrow money then you pay it back. Too hard for your poltard brain to grasp?

>to avoid holes in my resume i just have a fake company i "work" for here.
Based and liepilled. Sounds liek a pretty good lifestyle if you manage to make it work. My ideal plan was more among the lines of work enough to afford never working again. But yours is much easier to execute.

That's entirely by choice though desu

Why those two in particular

Credit card debt is retarded and completely avoidable.

>29% per month lines of credit are a good thing

Attached: you.jpg (600x514, 40K)

yes my plan is to do that as well but it takes time. also i have been lookign at moving to italy to carry out my plan but italy is much more expensive. was thinking of como italy but i need more info to see how my budget would be effected.
sure whatever. i dont care.

I wasn't trying to argue

Isn't como a touristic place? That would probably cost a fucking lot.

There is nothing wrong with having debt at all. But I can go across the street to a credit union and take out an unsecured personal loan at 8% APR, or just put it on my card and pay 25% APR.

Of course the personal loan isn't an option when I see that TV at BestBuy and I need to buy it *tonight*

Credit card debt is inexorably stupid.

please share your secrets, master american

sorry i ahve a headache but i think you should maybe think that not having savings isnt always persons fault. someone has to work "poor" jobs and if cost of rent is 40% of your income there's not much you can save.
i dont know enough about italy to know where to go desu. i wanted somewhere north near swiss border if possible. maybe you can suggest some areas if you're bored

>Credit card debt is retarded
Credit card debt can eba great tool even for finance aware peopel and there is nothing retarded in taking money you don't have to catch a fleeting opportunity you would otherwise lose.(as long as you aren't retarded about it, but do i really need do add that part?)

Name?

I save what I can, but I hardly make enough to live on. If I can get a job outside of this shitty city I would be fine.

I live in turin, which is near, but not nearest. If you buy a house in Turin you would be able to survive with around 500 euros per motnh if you are cheap enough. Turin is also not cheapest either, but it's the only one i know well enough to answer.

No. Most people are afflicted by chronic debt of staggering scale brought on by stupidity and easy credit.

>turin
ohh nice. i was looking at turin but thought it might be too expensive for me. my budget to keep my lifestyle is about 1.1kEuro/mo. I just need a small apartment (30m^3 ideal), with some way to wash clothes, internet, and be very nice if close to public transport of some kind or had groceries//market nearby. do you think i can find this in turin?

What even causes that? People being shit at financial planning is to be expected, but that much?
Is there some kind of social pressure or cultural thing I'm not aware of?

I dont think it is common in the US but I plan to once I get a job after grad school. If everything goes right I should be a multimillionaire by retirement, although I doubt it will go as I have it planned now and think I will spend more money than expected on hobbies and travel shit

wages not increasing at same rate as living costs for the most part i believe

>niggas dont know how credit cards work
they are for raising your credit, not buying shit you can't afford
inb4 underage retards start screaming about how they wont play the jewish game. it's doable without credit but it's so fucking easy it doesnt make a fucking difference to me.

>Is saving money common in your country?
yeah, we save so much money that if we had a normal inflation rate we'd put china to shame in that department, unironically.

I really couldn't tell you man. I don't really know how it is in the rest of the world, so I don't have a basis of comparison.

My parents are definitely in the top tenth percentile for financial responsibility, so I guess I've never really fallen into these kinds of traps.

Out of curiosity, how are credit card welcome offers in the rest of the world? Here in the US, the last card I applied for paid back $150 if I spent $500 in 3 months, and the first 15 months on it were 0% APR (interest free). That seems very generous, if not dangerous, and I'm curious if the rest of the world has these kinds of offers; that could very well be a reason for Americans stupid finances (along with the big banks to pay these kinds of welcome bonuses)

i am not advocating CC debt but there is nothing wrong with it if you are ok with borrowing money in general. 25% APR is bullshit since i am assuming most people know they shouldn't be late on their payments in which case it is more like 5% to 8%? I don't know I never made CC payments. Also if you want that TV now you can buy it with a CC and refinance the next day. What is wrong is impulse buying and shopping at BB. But that's a different story. Long story short yes most people are retarded but there is nothing wrong with debt in general.

Yes i believe you shoudl be able to.You can probably find a small place for 4-500 and have 600 to survive on. I know a couple of people who live in bad parts of town who pay 3-400 and live in more then acceptable houses for lonely people if you are ok with worse parts of town. Also i am pretty sure your requirements would be met pretty much anywhere in the city(grocery and transport).

Thanks user. I pay now 260euro for 110m^3 but this apartment is wasted on me. It has an entire spare bedroom I just use to store furniture the apartment came with I don't want ._.

>how it is in the rest of the world,
make a guess. either the same (1st world) or worse.

Before i leave for the morning for my jog. Can you recommend any online website for finding properties for rent. Thanks again user

Uh buddy, the 25%ish APR applies if you aren't late on your payments. If you ARE late, they tack on a $37 fee for every late month, and raise your APR to over 30%. Stop posting if you don't know what you're talking about.

How to invest?

>I pay now 260euro for 110m^3
Damn. Also why are you using cube meters? Do peopel outside of italy really not use square meters or did you typo twice?
How do you live there btw? Do you survive with english alone? I considered moving to thrid world to make livign with little easier, but i really like it here and i would rather not honestly. But it's also so convenient.

I don't know, i never looked for it online.My suggestions would be what you can find by googling "appartementi affitto torino" i have no additional insight. Sorry

oh yea mean m^2 obv. its not the cubic dimension of the apt that would be absurd. surviving here is easy since i dont need to really talk to any locals. and many speak english especially any you would normally need to speak with

It only applies if you have a balance at the statement closing date

Maybe you have a low credit score?
bankrate.com/credit-cards/low-interest/
13% is still ridiculous compared to a bank credit line but it is no 25%

That's what we are talking about.

I don't actively seek low interest credit cards because I don't carry a balance though. I really just try to optimize rewards, and I'm basically just reading off of the cards I have

Yeah just pay off the balance before the statement closing date