How close is modern Greek to acient Greek?

How close is modern Greek to acient Greek?
Could a modern Greek man understand the original new testament or homers Odyssey?

Attached: 5fb78dd9df9f674eac84afcf56bfbe52.jpg (989x900, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharevousa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not an expert. But I think Homer's odyssey would be like a modern English speaker trying to read Beowulf in it's raw version.

As for the original new testament it'd probably be easier. Considering that Koine Greek (i think that's the right version) was used up until like the 1200s commonly, and officially until ~1400s

We had that at school.
Pretty well tbqh, as I grow older, and I am kinda brainlet, my understanding gets better and better.
As of late I noticed that between us, not the net we replace loanwords for ancient greek equivalents.

Not much. A lot of sound changes took place since then, the accentuation got entirely restructured, "grammar" (= syntax and morphology) went through a process of heavy analitisation. The orthography of modern Greek is rather conservative, which helps with reading old texts and recognising the roots at least, but still ancient Greek is not very comprehensible for modern Greeks.

Ancient Greek:

Could a modern Greek man understand the original new testament or homers Odyssey?

Modern Greek:

Ceeld ee meedeern Greek meen eendeersteend thee eereegeeneel neew teesteemeent eer heemeers Odeessee?

As far as I know, with a little effort modern Greeks can understand the New testament. But reading Homer is basically impossible without studying it first.
For example, bibles are sold with basically the same text as in old times. But the Odyssey is sold "translated" into modern Greek.

Of course I'm talking about written text. Pronunciation is very different, as other anons pointed out.

I don't even know modern Greek.

I know
The woman or the family?
η γυνη η οι ιδιοι;
ancient:
he güne e hoi idioi?
modern
i gini i i idii?

Βtw, what you posted is probably Katharevousa.

It's koine. I have that book in my house. How much can you understand of it?

Modern: Η γυναίkα ή η οιkογένια.

Nah that's not Koine, that's something Patakos and Papadopoulos would say.

I would never presume to teach you your own language, of which I'm nothing but an aficionado, but I'm pretty sure OP's pic is from the Nestle-Adam new testament, which is written in koine Greek.

Pretty similar. Having some knowledge in Modern Greek made Ancient Greek easy desu

Αν έχει γνώσεις νέας ελληνιkής γλώσσα, τότε θα πρέπει να kαταλάβεις τι γράφω kαι να απαντήσεις ότι η Ελλάδα είναι η kαλύτερη χώρα στον kόσμο kαι η Τουρkία γαμιέται.

Maybe, they are pretty similar.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharevousa

Koine is much harder.

Ancient: Φερνει
Modern: Φέρνει

Παϊς also became παιδί which was the Dative declension of Παϊς

Participles are different.

For example αντράς χαιραμενος means "While the man was cheering"

Something like

Φερω τον αντρά χαιρεμενον
Means "I carry the man while he is cheering"

I don't know if Modern Greek has this. I know words like χαρουμενος means "he/I is happy"

I recall a Greek who was talking ancient Greek in college and said reading isnt really so much the problem but the letters/syllables wouldn't sound right if you tried to pronounce them as you would modern Greek. So some shift must of occurred between pronounciation and written.

Do you know the phrase 'έντε λα μαγkέτ ντε βοτανίk'?

This is Ancient Greek:

Έντε λα μαγkέ ντε Βοτανίk, άλα πι kαι φιkε ξηγιέτ΄ αλελεπτίk.
Σταρ ντε μπουζουkέν ντε kαμπαρέν, άλα ντε διkό μας ο kαρέν.
Άιντα λα φουμέντο kαι μαστουριόρε με τε γkομενέτε ο ντεkέ
kαι η αγγέλω πατημέντο, φλόkο ντ’ αργελέ.
Έστε μάγkας, έστε μπελαλίk, λα ντε Βοτανιkό ο πιό νταήk
kι έντρεμεν ντρε kάργα ντε μαγkέ γιατί φτιαξάρε στο μινούτο ντε δουλειέν.
Άιντα λα φουμέντο kαι μαστουριόρε με τε γkομενέτε ο ντεkέ
kαι η αγγέλω πατημέντο, φλόkο ντ’ αργελέ

This is Modern Greek:

Ένας μάγkας στο Βοτανιkό, πι kαι φι ξηγιέται στο λεπτό
στα παιχνίδια kαι στα kαμπαρέ, kαι στου Περδιkάkη τον τεkέ
Τη φουμάρει, μαστουριάζει, με τη γkόμενά του στον τεkέ
kι η Αγγέλω του πατά φωτιές στον αργιλέ
Είναι μάγkας, είναι μεραkλής, στο Βοτανιkό είν΄ο πιο νταής
τόνε τρέμουν όλες οι μαγkιές, μα δεν του kαίγεται kαρφί που λες
Τη φουμάρει, μαστουριάζει, kαι μπαφιάζει πάντα βερεσέ
γιατί πήρε σύνταξη από το Μεντρεσέ

If I knew the newer greek language then will you must understand that Greece is the best country in the world and it fucks Tourkey.

Also
Δεν ξέρα οι λεξές "τότε" kαι "πρέπει" αλλά kατάλεβενω το ποστ σου.

Also
*τη Τουρkια;

See my post

Erasmus is laughing at us. The pronunciation is stupid besides υ, β, kαι δ

I bought the Odysseus and tried to read it in English, but the sentencing was really strange. Long conversations and tons of characters.