Does your language have a separate way of saying "hello" for when you greet somebody on the phone? English doesn't...

Does your language have a separate way of saying "hello" for when you greet somebody on the phone? English doesn't, but in Mandarin you have "wei" instead of "nihao."

Attached: 1543118852528.png (435x421, 104K)

yes we say "halo?" or "słucham?" which essentially mean "I'm listening"

Pronto

aллo?

this

alô

wow i thought it was just an east asian thing but i guess it's english that's the odd one out...

Same, alo

In Spanish we say "May you say to me?"

On phone: hello
In person: hey

alo

Haló and visszhall

I hear, hear you again

Je me rends

Ahoy-hoy

Attached: the-queen-laughing-1492521870.jpg (480x240, 20K)

Haloo vs hei
Haloo = hello
Hei = hej

You joke, but apparently "ahoy" was normal around the invention of the first telephone. I'm not sure when "hello" became standard.

NIGGA WHO DIS

as far as i know ahoy hoy was the term Graham Bell coined, whereas Hullo was what Edison preferred. Seeing how Graham Bell got royally fucked, it only makes sense for Edison's phrase to have taken off

I always answer
>kaupustelu kielletty ja uskoon en tule
if I dont know who is calling

That was the joke, Bell wanted it to be Ahoy-hoy and that was standard for a short time. Edison preferred hello, which he may have invented, and since Americans love Edison so much that became the standard. Even in many other countries some version of hello is a common way to answer the phone now

moshi moshi

>Joe's Crematorium - You kill 'em, we grill 'em!

yes
ahoy

or sometimes
THIS IS 102.7 WEBN AND YOU ARE LIVE ON AIR!

bueno? vs hola

Yeah. Haló?/Prosím? vs Ahoj/Čau.

alo
(Iran)

yeah?
hey
what?
yo
whats up
yellow
welcome to jimmys ass emporium, we rump em you pump em

thanks for calling the city morgue, you stab em we slab em