I have to study all these books to finally understand your stupid idioms, phrasal verbs and shit

I have to study all these books to finally understand your stupid idioms, phrasal verbs and shit

fuck english

Attached: books.jpg (796x779, 307K)

>he thinks english is hard

Attached: 77b.jpg (640x559, 23K)

Just watch movies and play vidya.
Figure out the meanings of idioms and phrasal verbs based on context.

>Just watch movies and play vidya.
it's a meme

kek

If you want i can pick one out and look it over for you and bring up any key points which stand out

>learning a language with only books

Attached: 1530709895564.jpg (591x596, 44K)

How hard is it for non-english speakers to learn english?

Just butcher the language man.

Attached: manglish-english-12-728.jpg (728x546, 102K)

basic english is ok
but i want to be fluent

i get angry evertime i try to read a newspaper article and always there is an idiom or phrasal verb i dont know.

these are the idioms I learned today

some are easy by context. but those with cats are shit

Attached: 0NGhWrQ.png (356x427, 12K)

Yeah I have a couple friends that learned english as a second language, and they have the same problems as you; they can speak good english to get by but once you throw in slang, idioms etc. they get lost. You need to grow up in an english speaking environment to fully get it desu

not a meme

Attached: 1522165590891.jpg (800x808, 50K)

Read -> Google -> Read -> Google

See? It's not hard.

Surely "In the blink of an eye" and "stand your ground" should be pretty easy, You should learn ones like "get on your bikes" and "I'm not here to fuck spiders" or "Like a cow pissing on a flat rock"

Youll probably bever get them all anyway because theres so many, they're so specific and who accually uses them depends so much on the persons ethnicity/class/age/region

how do you even learn these growing up? the rare ones seem so rare but every native seems to know them too

>he studies English

I've been in Jow Forums since 2010, that's enough study for me. My pronunciation is kinda bad but who the fuck cares about that, I never talk to anybody anyways.

None of the ones on the list are rare and surely Portuguese must have a lot of idioms too, or is English just particularly idiom heavy?

Well, i never studied english. Most people can understand me but i'm still trash at it so i don't know what the moral of the story is

we have some, we even share some, but I don't think we have nearly as many as you do. I know 5 or 6 of those but at least from consuming anglo media, I've never heard of most of them
do you think you tend to use them on a daily basis between yourselves more than they appear in movies/vidya/youtube videos/etc?

writing? very easy. speaking? i still cringe at myself speaking.

it's not necessarily easy but we have so much exposition to it with american content that difficulty doesn't matter much, at least at a superficial level. mastering it is as hard as learning spanish or french imo

>do you think you tend to use them on a daily basis between yourselves more than they appear in movies/vidya/youtube videos/etc?
I don't think there's much of a difference in use though I've never really thought about how much we use them.

A lot of them you dobt learn until later in life or you kind of work out what it means from context abd pretend you know so you dont look like a retard

the intermediate and advanced pronunciation books are really good

Had the same problem with English, until I got on Jow Forums....now I know too much slang.

>do you think you tend to use them on a daily basis between yourselves

Yeah. Honestly conversational English is pretty much based on expressions like that. I have used pretty much all of those recently in regular chats with others.

You should learn some more fun ones like "hoisted by his own petard", "no room to swing a cat", "hand over fist", "cut of his jib", and so on.

It's pretty easy to grasp the basics but as is case with all languages, you can't expect the knowledge to just pop up in your brain.
My dad who had never had any formal English education acquired the basic knowledge to understand written and spoken English just from television and magazines. He'll ask me about the meaning of certain words from time to time and he butchers pronunciation when doing so but he still manages just fine.

Try me.

Even if you read all of these books, you will never have a true understanding of English.

>caring about your english skills
you already know enough to make people understand you
slaughter the language of front of those parasites brazilbro

Attached: aryan blood.jpg (806x799, 396K)

Anyone who isn't a moron can speak english fluently.

There's a big difference between practical command and deep familiarity.

You may yet know the joys of word play with an intimate knowledge of english, hue. Or should I say, you have a hue-mongous way to go!!