German word for oxygen is "sour material"

>German word for oxygen is "sour material"

Attached: 1543651325639.png (768x752, 168K)

oxygen is sour, just look what happens to metal when it rusts

Meanwhile in English: Butterfly

Germans hate living.

>The name oxygen was coined in 1777 by Antoine Lavoisier, whose experiments with oxygen helped to discredit the then-popular phlogiston theory of combustion and corrosion. Its name derives from the Greek roots ὀξύς oxys, "acid", literally "sharp", referring to the sour taste of acids and -γενής -genes, "producer", literally "begetter", because at the time of naming, it was mistakenly thought that all acids required oxygen in their composition.

>four twenty ten nine

This makes perfect sense. It's the same in all Germanic languages except English.

Also, nitrogen is called "suffocator".

Oxygen literally means "acid producer", you illiterate mong. It's calqued into Russian too.

I checked it in Swedish before making this thread for... reasons and it's just "syre" apparently.

same in english, just that englishers are retarded and instead of using their own language they translate it into a anglofied greek/english word, so normal people without a classical education can't understand it.

>syre
>sour

Delete this

Just syre as an official word apparently

Syre comes from sur, which is sour. Also, acid is called syra.

But it's still less stupid than the German version

How is that a brainlet thing to call it? Oxygen literally strips electrons and makes things more acidic through oxidation. The German language is too smart for you

Yeah, those are happi, hapan and happo in finnish

The original Swedish word was actually eldluft, which means "fire air". Which might very well have been the international word, as it was a Swedish scientist who was the first to truly discover the element in a useful scientific way. Lavoisier later stole his thunder though, which is why we (and you) don't call it that still.

The more you know.

>pineapple
>is not an apple
>doesn't grow in pines

Attached: 1527855207468.jpg (1013x1013, 81K)

Its skin is reminiscent of pine bark I suppose.

"Stoff" is not aptly translated as "material" though; "stuff" might be closer to its German meaning

>dragon in finnish is salmonsnake
kill me

Attached: kill me.jpg (446x722, 67K)

>breast vest

literally nothing wrong with any of these

I love Finns

The only ones I don't like are fire sticks and flying machine. Too generic

150 IQ

Same here

In Dutch it's sour dust.

But the word dust also means fabric and material. So you could also translate it as sour material or sour fabric I guess.

In Brazil is oxide genius.

can confirm

same here

>Nonante neuf