Where did the meme of american education being somehow bad come from?

where did the meme of american education being somehow bad come from?

Attached: 2000px-Flag_of_Massachusetts.svg.png (2000x1200, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ugJZhL-cbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Public high schools, not prestigious universities, obviously.

Because it is, especially in lower income areas.

Cherry picking the dumbest freaks of the US and saying they are the majority of americans

Iirc they have a strange grading system where any mark over 60% or something is the top grade. Pretty different to the rest of the world. However whenever you see the top 10 university picture posted you always get seething non-Americans going huhh >Anglo rankings, but that's just bitterness

I-is that hand above going to behead the indian?

i wish american ivy school students still dressed preppy

Attached: takeivylook04.jpg (600x762, 520K)

>american education is actually goo-
oh

Attached: a14a.png (471x77, 25K)

Not sure if this is a meme, that's like expecting Americans to know where Rutland or Sussex is

Getting above a 60% in a class is considered passing (not sure if it's different elsewhere). As the saying goes, "C's and D's get degrees".

that would be considered failing in MA

>Gotland
I thought maybe they were saying Scotland in spurdo-speak

Teachers aren't allowed to flunk anyone anymore. The poor dears might get their feelings hurt, so they just diagnose anyone who's not keeping pace with ADHD
>t. Have ADHD and chained to the Adderall

here in Poland it's
0% - 29% - unsatisfactory
30% - 49% - admissible
50% - 74% - satisfactory
75% - 89% - good
90% - 100% - very good
100% - 100% - perfect

Where did you here this? Anything over 60% is just passing, anything below is failing. Top grade is usually 97%+ (A+), anything from 73-76% (C) or higher is usually just enough to get a degree. Even non anglo rankings will have US unis at the top, the only thing is they base a lot off research output and similar metric, which is maybe alright for grad school rankings, but for a bachelors it isnt as important

the grading scale varies a lot here, but generally anything below 90% is a disappointing grade, especially in university

US is
0-59% - F = failed the class and no credit for it, 0 gpa
60-69% - D = near failure but barely passed, 1.0 gpa
70-79% - C = passing, usually average or low average depending on class, 2.0 gpa
80-89% - B = slightly above average, good, 3.0 gpa
90-100% - A = clearly above average, great at the material, 4.0 gpa
Now apart from this almost every school will also use a +/- system, so the grades will be split up like:
80-82: B-, 2.667 gpa
83-86: B, 3.0 gpa
87-89: B+, 3.333 gpa
The only grades the +/- doesnt really affect is an F, as you just fail in that range, and an A+, as an A is already at the max gpa of 4.0. So anything from 93-100% will be the same grade. Some universities count an A+ as 4.333 gpa but it is basically grade inflation shit. Grading system is similar throughout the states but differe by high school and college basically.
For a bachelors degree the following gpa cutoffs are important:
2.4-2.6+ gpa needed to graduate with degree (Cs get degrees)
2.9-3.0+ gpa most companies would prefer your gpa to be at about this level
3.0-3.3+ gpa for some masters programs and maybe lower ranked phd programs
3.3-3.5+ gpa good enough for most masters programs
3.5-3.75+ gpa good enough for most phd programs, top masters programs, and more selective companies (seen as high as 3.75 gpa requirement from nasa tier companies)
3.8-4.0 gpa good enough for top phd programs
gpa isnt all that is required for these applications but it is just one factor and these guidelines are good enough for programs ive seen in STEM at least, not sure on med school or law school cutoffs. Also gpa will basically be irrelevant and removed from your resume once you get a job in your field or get a phd

Attached: History_of_Denali_National_Park.jpg (600x399, 286K)

fuck this is longer than i thought and i didnt even say FUCK JANNY

Attached: 1541635243766.png (824x800, 142K)

inferior states of course
I know where both of those are

from shit states like in the south and inner cities

i know where gotland is!

That's the case everywhere, though.

Usually the
>X education
meme is used in contexts where no country's education would actually help because it's about things people don't learn in school and average people (aka dumb cattle) don't know or remember. Mostly trivia you sperglords read on wikipedia.

Like, I know the capital of Bangladesh is Dhaka but I wouldn't expect 90% of my peers to know it, I don't really need this knowledge for anything and wherever I learned it (probably some book, news or wikipedia article I was reading to learn about something else) it sure as shit wasn't in geography class.

How are burger universities even ranked?
What are they are based on? Amount of masters degrees per year? Research done by uni? How many brown people they took per year? Quality of the teachers? etc.

Research

this is how

Attached: Screenshot_20181215-092326_Firefox.jpg (1077x423, 112K)

it is bad, dummy
k-12 is the worst in the western world
ivy league is a bit of a meme from a teaching perspective desu, only research brings prestige which is irrelevant to how well educated students can be

Yankocentrism in American schools.
Yanks on the Internet who didn't have to learn a second language yet can still communicate with foreigners who did.
American liberals self-hating propaganda.

Could you tell which of the Hawaian islands is Oahu without looking it up? Do you know where Galicia is?

Attached: Screenshot_20181108-011244_Firefox.jpg (1160x2677, 529K)

i can!

So it's generally driven by a factor of how well motivated students are to even be accepted into a university like this rather than how well teachers teach.

I was asking the Swede. And more to the point, would he really expect the average Swedish person to know this.

I mean, just a month or so ago the public face of Sweden - Felix Kjellberg - stated on record that he believes Bangladesh to be a place in India.

teaching quality isn't as important in higher education. you won't be significantly more knowledgeable if you go to harvard vs a state school, but you will have more networking ability and better research opportunities

Such institutions are only going to hire top faculty though

it is basically a lot of research ranking, which is maybe fine if it was just a ranking on graduate programs, but as most people will only do a bachelors I think it should be more focused on education quality, job placement, and other things like that

But no one cares about teaching methods, only about results oriented research--being good at something doesn't mean you're qualified to teach something.
At least that's been my experience between three colleges of varying "quality".

can't imagine how many hours of your life you must dedicate to this

it took like 20 minutes to write up, just common knowledge if youve been through the system

Oh boy someone saved my post.

It's not even that, not knowing trivia like the difference between Latvia and Lithuania is completely irrelevant here, and I agree, but by every ranking our education falls behind many other developed countries.

I should mention that the US isn't completely shit, it's just that given the resources we have, we should be able to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

ive only ever seen comparisons of k-12 based on (((pisa))), which to my knowledge has no motivation for students

so why do certain countries perform better if they're equally unmotivated

its true.
Our ivy league and top schools arent actually good for undergrad education compared to European and Asian schools.
We use our schools as 4 years elitist networking events.

lol. American's can't even point to North Korea on a map and that's not only on your news 24/7 but also a fucking peninsula.

youtube.com/watch?v=-ugJZhL-cbc

>by every ranking our education falls behind many other developed countries.
And what happens if you remove blacks and latinos trom the statistics?

Also, the US is more comparable to Europe in size than any individual European country. How would, say, New Hampshire compare to the typical developed country?

1. it isnt on the news 24/7 and not everyone watches or reads news
2. knowing where north korea is at on a map is not important to most jobs
3. cherrypicked responses to be comedic

New Hampshire is pretty up there, along with the rest of New England, but you can't just remove blacks and latinos, as much as it would boost our statistics. They still comprise a part of the US.

Attached: IQbyreligion.jpg (500x481, 36K)

They're not so stupid but the stupid ones are reaally stupid. A guy asked me if we had Google in Switzerland while in the US

maybe he was wondering if yall use something different or maybe if the company has a building there or

that sounds sarcastic

atheism is shit tier compared to the others

>WASPs aren't the master rac-

I'm sure american education is at similar levels as the rest of the first world.

The problem, I think, stems from everyone obsessing about american culture, watching their movies, tv-shows books what ever. So when they see americans being unknowledgeable about their irrelevant country, they assume every american is dumb, because obviously everyone know this irrelevant fact about my irrelevant country.

Truth is, America is number one and they don't even need to think about you, but you think about them. lolloololololololololo

Attached: USA global hegemony.jpg (840x512, 48K)

>you can't just remove blacks and latinos, as much as it would boost our statistics. They still comprise a part of the US.
But it's got fuck all to do with the quality of your education is my point. Plop a million blacks in Finland and they will fall from all the top spots.
perfidious crypto reptiloid master race

No she was serious, she was a housewife I talked to during a 4th of July party in Rhode Island. They made me the strangest questions during that party I swear. In her defence it was in 2005 so Google was still kind of new

This too. I wouldn't be bilingual if I was American.

Proxyfag