Hey Jow Forums, I just turned 18 today. I've managed to scrounge 2.5k doing odd jobs and whatnot...

Hey Jow Forums, I just turned 18 today. I've managed to scrounge 2.5k doing odd jobs and whatnot. What kind of advice can you guys impart to this young un about securing financial freedom, investing, etc.

Attached: 12397851054.jpg (1600x900, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

worldtopinvestors.com/takashi-kotegawa-investor-profile/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don’t take financial advice from Jow Forums

Avoid this place.like the.plague....unless you want to lose money and post about ways to kill yourself

go to college, get a non meme degree in STEM, try to pay as little for college as possible. do internships. invest in a Vanguard ETF for 10% consistent yearly compounding gains. dont buy expensive cars or clothes. save and invest as much of your income as possible. dont be a degenerate. dont do drugs. work your ass off in your 20s and you can "retire" in your 40s(dont actually retire, spend your time building a business, chasing hobbies, travelling etc.) youre gonna want to have kids at some point or else you will get bored and depressed. DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN 6K ON A CAR. DO NOT LEASE. DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN YOU MAKE. DONT GET A CREDIT CARD IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL ABUSE IT. thats about all.

See if anyone in your family has a trusted wealth advisor or knows a good cfp. Don't use it for college. Find a way to save (invest) a portion for 5+ years in a tax advantaged way. Maybe open a roth if you're an eligible burger.
I can't recommend the following with the money: buy permanent insurance, buy a car, spend over 80%, pay tuition upfront, day trade

Good job, keep saving. Don't fuck it up

Buy Chainlink sir.

This is the longer game. Good general advice. Also, when earning over 60k, max a 401k as the bulk of your savings portion, when earning under 45k, contribute to 401k up to match/comfort and consider Roth for the rest. Student loans are also great, they're terrible for society but great for you. Do not borrow more than you need and live within your means. Internships also cannot be stressed enough.

I grew up in a hardline immigrant chink family, so they valued education and hard work a lot. So a lot of what they had to say got hammered into my head. I do plan on attending a 4 year college after this summer, that's fine and dandy. Don't have to worry about a car too, she's an old gal but she still works. I don't do drugs so yeah. I'm just real fuckin confused about the whole investment space.

Also, I just seriously got invested in computer programming, what are ways I can turn it into a quick profit over the summer?

Reddit also has decent advice on their personal finance sub. It's good to get you started on thinking about budgeting and saving, but I personally still think you should see if anyone trustworthy and knowledgeable is open to a conversation (CFP, ChFC, CPA, etc.)

Shrimp farming.
Unlimited food and income.

Also cannot stress trustworthy enough.

1-) Find a really, really cheap college.
2-) Major in maths.
3-) Work your butt off to learn everything while working so you end without debt.
4-) Ignore all the expensive, pretty girls. Go after the ones that everyone ignore, with an OK personality that are low maintenance. Fuck their brains out three times every week.
5-) Keep writing papers, publishing and getting your name out there.
6-) Go after a tier 1 PhD in maths right after you graduate.
7-) Keep fucking cheap pussy, make sure to never marry or impregnate someone and to never stop fucking different girls.
8-) Get a high paying job involving the skills that you developed.
9-) Learn everything about the job, then copy it, becoming your own boss.
10-) Work very hard until you are 35, then start a family with a smart woman.
11-) Do whatever that you want once you hit 40, you should have the tools to do so now.

My parents managed to work with loopholes and live off of wealthfare since I was born, so technically they don't work. Financing my college education should be a no brainer since financial aid will cover just about everything.

That really helps, you should use the free time to study more.
It might sound like a drag, but if you do things right (48 hours of really dedicated hard work, 8 hours of extreme pleasure) you will be better off than NEETs just playing vidyas all days (your hand will handle pleasure better than theirs).
Keep in mind that I said maths because it is a SURE thing, the world needs millions of competent mathematicians right now, so as long as you are OK (IQ 120+ needed) you will be fine professionally.
ANYTHING becomes easier once you properly learn maths and logic (no need to drop computers while doing that, by the way), so even if you change your mind after you graduate, you should still have a solid foundation.
Also, try to swim everyday and look for friends that are smarter than you.

I do really like math, do you recommend double majoring or is that a meme?

Hi newfriend. Turn that money into ethereum and then buy ELEC on Kucoin. see you around kid.

Become a tranny in Thailand and sell your body to a whale like me.

Jesus fuck dont do maths unless you are a literal galaxy brain.
Look around you, user. What is everyone on this noard obsessed with?
Learn programming.

Think for yourself, find what you need, ask yourself why and then ask yourself how, take decisions that allow you to be wrong, accept you will be wrong.

buy chainlink wait for 3 years and thank me after that

>401k
>roth

i love all this advice about finally being able enjoy your life when youre shitting in a diaper. you need to take bigger risks with your money, kiddo.

get a phd??? start a family?? what kind of fucking advice are you imparting?

Is there a future in cryptocurrencies? Like the development aspects of the field. I'd rather not trade them because of all the volatility from shit like hacks and shitty devs.

It is not a great idea for most people.
This is what you do, find out all that you need to get your maths major, and try to cram the shitty disciplines that you know that you will hate in a single semester (or during vacation, if the place allows that) and do your best to finish them as soon as possible.
Then dedicate yourself to maths without having to bother with that useless shit (your goal in life should be to minimize inefficiency).

We are nowhere close to the point where only true geniuses (IQ 140+) can be good mathematicians.

I told him to get one of the few PhDs that are really bulletproof.
Starting a family when you are 35 and well established will increase your lifespan and gains, without any of the risks of having a kid when you are 20.
I also told him to constantly be going through sluts so he wont end a beta male.

Lol what? We've always been at that point. Pure maths without an eye on industry is, and always has been, only for elite autists. The brains/success ratio is too high.
OFC if youre doing maths to pivot into engineering then whatever.

getting a phd is a complete waste of fucking time, better to get your bachelors and start working immediately. also about that marriage part, the only right age to get married is when youve accomplished most of your dreams. your life, business goals and what not are practically over when you get married. having a kid may be emotionally satisfying, im sure, but its the heaviest anchor you will ever deal with in terms of financial support.

>Roth
>Has access to cash & grows tax deferred
It's a good start. Also:
>putting all the eggs in one basket
>not having safe money
>not using tax advantaged accounts or taking free money
He's young enough to take risks, but there's no real need to take unnecessary ones either. Again, a will intentioned wealth management will set him straight.

Agree on the PhD part though. It's fucking insane. A dissertation is life advice?

Yeah, probably. You're likely better if learning legacy shit if you're chasing dollars. Make sure to take a few real math classes and econ classes if you're going that route. The token economics are horrid most of the time.

Is cs a meme

What kind of books/ebooks are considered god tier on Jow Forums? I've listened to stuff like Common Sense on Mutual Funds, Millionaire Fastlane, etc while I'm doing menial shit

Attached: 1525269830272.png (610x449, 305K)

You are thinking about people that are superb at their job, which not everyone can be.
What I am defending here is that there is still a demand for average professionals (which are way smater than average people in this case) in that field.

>getting a phd is a complete waste of fucking time
Kid, try thinking a bit before spreading bullshit. The way that courses are structured, you will not even be close to twentieth century maths as a bachelor, to say nothing about the third millennium.

It is mandatory in the field.
Remember that we are not talking about a PhD in Rare Frogs Sculptures here, the whole fucking world wants people with that skillset.

No, but you will actually have to be really good at it to have a chance after you are finished.

If you can already save 20% of what you earn, you should be fine. Rich dad, poor dad is a classic.

why would anyone study maths let alone obtain a phd unless they're pursuing an academic career? dont take my word for it practically every great personal finance book out there stresses less "education" in the form of useless additional degrees and more action

I've been involved in academia for a majority of my life. The idea of pursuing a PhD isn't far fetched, but I do value my time.

I mean, it's literally part and parcel with bring proficient in math, i agree. But the insanity of a dissertation, especially being promoted to someone at 18 without strong direction seems... Irresponsible. At least recommend like... Math with a minor and internships so he has a foundation for a job and a master's instead of a path that needs a dissertation & a publish or die pressure cooker

/thread

>why would anyone study maths
High demand, low supply. It also works as insurance in case your local country implodes, since all good countries are looking to absorb mathematicians and the language barrier wont matter much.

>every great personal finance book out there stresses less "education" in the form of useless additional degrees and more action
Personal finance books usually say those things because the vast majority of people go after really useless degrees.
Getting a PhD in maths is like getting a residency after you finish med school, you dont HAVE to do it, but you should.

Kid, no offense, but you are 18, the majority of your life does not add to much.

I suppose that a master's would be a good start, but I am trying to advise him like I would advise myself.
I wasted time getting my masters when I could go straight for a doctorate, and I resent that decision.

Now, dont get me wrong, if you want money NOW, you probably could quickly learn programming by yourself, ignore college and dive into the market, giving you a real shot at early wealth.
Offer your services at Fiverr and other platforms, be constantly moving from city to city (and maybe country to country) if opportunities arise there and just let your work speak for you - but be honest about your abilities, because you will be competing with millions of indians tha had the exactly same idea and a lot of extra incentives to prosper.

>I am trying to advise him like I would advise myself.
As someone who considered a phd in economics, learn if you can publish and like publishing in your sophomore or jr year after busting through enough math (pretty much needed for almost any PhD) to feel confident working under a professor's supervision or with the profs guidance. It takes a really special autistic fuck to like research and then enjoy reporting it. If you learn that you like this, OP, follow this guy's advice. I agree with starting in something like math or engineering, mostly because you can work your way down to something else by your 4th semester (CS, stats, finance, econ, programming, philosophy, yadda).

Idk about the language you should use with the prof you like, but you should probably tell them you have the intention of having a paper published to build up a cv for grad school. I'm not the expert on this though, i stopped at bachelors & never published.

Jow Forumsfrugal and Jow Forumspersonalfinance will probably give you better advice than Jow Forums

I am not autistic, I am just a misanthrope.
Research is great if you want to avoid dealing too much with people while still having a good shot at a great career.
The truly autistic people with huge IQs should just try to do this with crypto: worldtopinvestors.com/takashi-kotegawa-investor-profile/

I really want to establish a safety net in the form of a college education. I don't think going around selling myself is suitable atm, considering I'm rather new to programming. But thanks for the suggestion!

Poorfag detected
Roth's and 401 aren't meant.to make you rich dumbass...they're a final last line of defense to have something just in case...you do realize there's a cap on how much you can put in those right? Max contributing to those for a poorfag seems like alot but it isn't... The assumption is that one is working on making it with other investments while contributing to this as well

so how do u get rich

Take out life insurance policy on someone with you as the beneficiary then push them off a cliff on a hiking accident

Don't do a PhD- you'd be wasting years of your life selling your soul to academics for little money and treated as their personal slave for the purpose of adding to their bloated stack of useless publications.

There's a reason PhD students are some of the highest suicide risk groups in the world, don't fucking do it.

Do what some of the smart people in here are suggesting, get a CS degree, do internships in the summer, always be working on your own little hustles on the side to earn money and improve your skills.

More importantly, make sure not to become a one-dimensional nerd- go to the gym at least 3 times a week and lift heavy weights, eat at least your bodyweight in grams of protein every day and get swole. Join a martial arts class (boxing, jiu jitsu, kickboxing) and learn how to defend yourself, and make some cool non-autistic friends. Be social, try to meet girls, get rejected a lot, learn how to be a cool guy who's a good time to hang out with and knows how to talk to girls, not an antisocial autist like half of this board.

North America is full of successful nerds who did all the right things academically and professionally and yet are lonely fucks who have no idea how to meet or talk to girls, and have no cool friends, only their boring friends from work. Don't become this guy buddy. There's too many posts on this board about socially clueless guys who don't know how to manage women and end up dating or marrying the worst possible ones and come here to complain about their shitty divorce-raped lives.

I'm about to head to the gym myself, but if you have any other questions (e.g. what workout to begin with, diet etc..) or anything else, just let me know.

>Apply for a credit card.
Not because you need credit, but because you need credit history. If you're parents have old credit cards and good payment history, ask them to make you an authorized user on their cards. You will inherit their credit history on that card which will help your score. You don't even need to ever use it, nor do they need to give you your card when it comes in the mail. They can keep it if they don't trust you with it.
>Spend some time on a site learning how to build credit
It's simple-- for a few years, apply for a new card every 6 or 8 months so you get multiple lines of credit and increase your credit line. don't spend money you don't have and you'll be fine. You'll be grateful you did this when you're in your 20's and thinking about buying a house or need it for a loan.
>Invest
This all depends on how active or passive you want to be. I love using robinhood (app) for commission free trading. You could just play safe and buy things like Microsoft, Amazon, Kraft foods, etc... and sit back and forget about those stocks. Or you can nerd out and get into the /smg/ threads and try to get some real gains on swing trading more volatile stocks. In the beginning you will lose money though. Maybe you want to throw $500 and play with that for 3 months if you want to trade volatile stocks. If you survive 90 days, then you are golden. "90% of traders lose 90% of their investment within 90 days".
>Scrounged $2.5 K
You gonna go into debt going to college or is it covered by parents and scholarships? My schooling was covered, but I had a job throughout most of college, a lot of it went towards paying rent but I also managed to get $5K into a Cash Management Account at Merrill Lynch. I just kept giving them money and pretending that money didn't exist so I wouldnt spend it on booze. Few years later, that $5k is now $7.5K.

Attached: 2018-06-18 06_19_04-.png (2980x1989, 468K)

Do the opposite of what this board tells you and you will be driving lambos before you know

You're a cocksucker.