NYE edition

Weeocml to /lang/!
>Whta lugnaega aer yuo le?gnrain
>Share lunaggae lrennagi epcsen!ereix
>Aks qsutsoien autob yrou taergt laggn!aue
>Hepl ppoeel who wtan to lnrea a nwe lag!aueng
>Ptctpreiaai in tirnoslatna ceehalsngl or meak yruo o!wn

Ignoer t:ihs
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki
Bati lnki do not ck:ilc
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>Hwo do I lrnea a lgeuang?a Wtha is teh btes way to leanr o?en How sudohl I ipemovr on cinrtae aps?tsce
By pstigno tshi sema qsionetu eryev time
>Wlil I lraen a leagngau by uisgn Dulongoi fvei mnituse a dya wihle tnkiga a shti
Msto dtnyefieil
>Shdulo I lanre X to get a qt w/feifg ()alme etc?
Y,se it will gurtnaeea the aiqoiunstic adn rnnetoite of a qt
>Sdoluh I lrane lgan Y so I cna lraen lang X?
Yes, it is not a waest of tiem at all
>What is the mtso uuefls l?agnegau
See bwole
>Whta laagngue shduol I laner
Dutch

old thred: feel free to make a nice challenge for today

Attached: lang_logo.png (580x359, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XqeJn-MAC8Q
futurelearn.com/courses/frisian
youtube.com/watch?v=ziCxDm3wem4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_population_of_Finland
youtube.com/watch?v=Nrkgdj0bVAo
atlasandboots.com/foreign-service-institute-language-difficulty/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2LDKQ5Vm4
youtube.com/watch?v=fhy4Cyr5WTs
youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do you say HAPPY NEW YEAR in your target language?

I'm looking for a youtube or video rip of the Frisian MOOC from the University of Groningen. Does anyone have it so I can listen to it in my free time?
pls help

Gelukkig nieuwjaar~~
(you forgot to post it in your target lang bongbro)

Here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=XqeJn-MAC8Q

Attached: 1546115118980.gif (400x224, 1.58M)

That's the one, but there's only that one vid that I know of. I was doing the course before but life got in the way of it.

新年快乐 /ɕʲn35 nʲen13 kʷai33 lo33/

I'm thinking of learning Swedish instead of Finnish

Were you doing this specific course?:
futurelearn.com/courses/frisian

It's Westerlauwersk Frysk (West Frisian), so it should only take from a few weeks to 2-3 months at most to really become good at the language. I wouldn't stress it user.

I'd recommend waiting for a big holiday to come around where you have loads of free time to do it in one go.

Also, here's a song in Frisian:
youtube.com/watch?v=ziCxDm3wem4

Write a light novel (in English).
Find someone to translate it into Japanese for peanuts and publish it online.

Swedish is easier than Finnish by a long run.

I'd recommend doing so

So I've heard
and supposedly there are enough swedish-dominant regions in Finland where you can do fine with it

Yeah I was. I never got chance to finish it and keep changing my stuff. I should probably consider just doing it again, but real life often gets in the way. I might just try and do the course in 2019.
Thanks for the song.

FELICE ANNO NUOVO

How about you learn EALD ÆNGLISC instead and guard the ríce against the eternal Wícing?

A reasonable amount of people in Helsinki (and of course.. Åland) do know Swedish as a second language i've been told

You could get away with it, ye

All good, no problem. Learning a language just requires alot of patience and dedication... Just the way it is i guess

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_population_of_Finland
the community I'm most familiar with are the Swedish speaking Finns in the Turku/Åbo area, their university is the only Swedish speaking uni outside of Sweden and is incredibly old; they have schools that teach in Swedish too
of course their Swedish is somewhat different from standard Swedish but they of course understand each-other, it's like a stronger accent or how the flemish speak Dutch I guess, at least that's my impression so far
they usually speak Finnish but their Finnish is often worse than their English, for example
just about everything there is in both languages, especially public transport (places often have two names, like Turku (Finnish name) /Åbo (Swedish name)

the funny thing is that they identify as Finns for the most part; they have roughly the same traditions, the food is a bit more mixed, but otherwise they are very Finnish in their ways, they don't identify as Swedes

(bls don't quote me on any of this, it's only my personal observations throughout the years)

Attached: fin_apu.png (856x835, 47K)

Also i am going to share this BEAUTIFUL Welsh folk song for everyone.
If any Britons here are interested in Welsh at all, i'd recommend taking a listen. it is nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nrkgdj0bVAo

There aren't fully Swedish areas except Åland which is just islands. You cant survive with Swedish unless you manage to find some small Swedish speaking enclave but then again you'd be limited to that small area

>Welsh
Hello, my patrician friend.

Sounds like a very interesting clash of cultures there, like a place where they are combined.. but completely on Finnish soil.

Sounds /comfy/ too, i'd recommend Croatia user to learn some basic Swedish and take a trip there

Attached: DrPepper.png (1024x1024, 765K)

Bumping

it was one of the comfiest vacations I've had

Attached: PB181929.jpg (1000x625, 231K)

yea the idea is it would only be temporary to buy time to learn finnish if I do decide so later
but I guess learning Swedish first gives me another advantage which is easier access to other scandi countries

and I guess I'm Lithuanian now, thanks Tele2

Then again, couldn't you just use English aswell? I'm pretty sure lots of Finnish people also know English quite well too as a secondary language to use.

Also kek, that was a quick flight from Croatia to Lithuania aye'

true, it just crossed my mind but for some reason I thought swedish would pass better than english even though I remember it being the opposite

Freindly reminder to learn German not the brainlet dialect of German known as dutch

Attached: image.jpg (638x957, 219K)

Attached: image.jpg (750x1889, 429K)

>Learning German is easier than you think!
>Haus=house
>Winter=winter
>...
Sizeable cringe

Just take the Deutsch pill lads

Attached: image.jpg (580x562, 71K)

Yes I dont like that part of the infographic , it is misleading since english has way more cognates with french than with German so it doesnt really help a learner

memeing aside and all, that infographic is the most overly-american style advertising crap I've seen in a while
I guess if that's what works for people you might as well learn German
it's only missing some explosions, muscle cars and lens flair
>germans invented toothpaste
rly mks u thik

anyway, are you on vacation in mejico or what?

I-Is this some kind of language propaganda?

>The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) has created a list to show the approximate time you need to learn a specific language as an English speaker. After this particular study time you will reach “Speaking 3: General Professional Proficiency in Speaking (S3)” and “Reading 3: General Professional Proficiency in Reading (R3)”

Reminder that the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) classifies German harder than most other Germanic languages.

It is not a good beginner language

Attached: FSI-List.png (471x901, 37K)

atlasandboots.com/foreign-service-institute-language-difficulty/

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

German challenge

youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2LDKQ5Vm4

> Sie müssen ??????? ihnen sicher nicht.
> Heißt das, äh ... zu dir gibt's frei?

> Ach, ja, natürlich. Verstehe.
> Weißen nicht, was die heute Nacht???? wird passiert?

> Nicht so geizig.
> Er ertrunkt (?) gern.

that list is bullshit though

It isnt stay mad brainlet

Based list , but hey it's better to start with the harder language first and then learn shitty dialects like dutch

Im just a mexican that has taken the Deutsch pill and became fluent in the most important language in Europe

why

>It isnt stay mad brainlet
retarded spic. The list is bullshit because it's all over the place in terms of difficulty, not because i find them too hard.
For example, putting Chinese as tier 5 is just stupid - it's only hard because of the writing, otherwise it's very similar to viet or thai. And Russian tier 4? All Slavic langs other than bulgarian and macedonian are easily harder than Chinese.
Further, the asterisks make no sense at all. What makes the Uralic languages harder than other altaic ones like turkish or Uzbek or whatever?

difficulty rankings make no logical sense

>And Russian tier 4? All Slavic langs other than bulgarian and macedonian are easily harder than Chinese.

Lmao this also you had to say for me to confirm you as a retarded inbred cuck.

Stupidest shit i've read all day.

And difficulty is based on length of time it takes to learn the language, if you knew how to read in your own language you would know

It isnt propaganda if it's true

>202 million speakers of german

Lads ... Really.... What else do you need to know?

Attached: image.jpg (487x630, 127K)

>Stupidest shit i've read all day.
>provides no explanation
okay retard

Im not your fucking linguistics teacher, if you honestly believe slavic langs are harder than chinese for an english speaker than you need to fuck off and do some self learning before giving me another (you)

bumping with stats

$ python lang_counter.py 99385956
Saudi Arabia: 1
Peru: 1
Brazil: 1
Canada: 1
Kazakhstan: 1
Japan: 1
Chile: 1
Serbia: 3
Mexico: 3
Australia: 4
Romania: 4
Spain: 4
Suriname: 4
China: 5
South Africa: 5
Finland: 5
Switzerland: 5
Philippines: 5
Russian Federation: 6
South Korea: 6
Poland: 7
Austria: 7
United Kingdom: 8
Italy: 9
France: 9
Argentina: 11
Germany: 18
Sweden: 25
Netherlands: 48
United States: 107

$ python lang_counter.py 99479598
China: 1
Russian Federation: 1
Finland: 1
Romania: 1
United States: 1
Croatia: 2
Serbia: 2
Lithuania: 3
Netherlands: 5
United Kingdom: 8
Mexico: 8
Australia: 12

will eventually make pretty graphs maybe

>Im not your fucking linguistics teacher,
That's lucky, I'd be worried were you teaching anything.

>slavic langs are harder than chinese for an english speaker than you need to fuck off
Why? Just because they're both Indo-European most certainly does not make them easier. Sure, the shared vocab will help but it'll only get you so far.
What exactly about Chinese is difficult? The writing - sure, second only to nip in terms of difficulty, but there is at least a regularity to it. The phonology - is very difficult for an English speaker with no former linguistics knowledge, but does that really make it the "hardest in the world"? I don't think so. What else?

what's this for

This fucking image says absolutely nothing about difficulty. This is about time investment, more specifically class hours.

What's the difference though, in practice

?????
It is more difficult due to language structure differences, gendered words (feminine/masculine), informal/formal language so therefore requires more time to learn

the point is the same

>what's this for
fun desu
I just like statistics and overviews
I've always been curious what the flag distribution is on /lang/, how it changes with time, seasons, start of school year, how many posts, unique IPs
stuff like that
I find it interesting

and it's also good practice to not forget another one of my target langs: Python
Python is a great (Dutch!) lang because it lets you talk to lots of computers anywhere in the world, and it's easy to learn, and quite extensive
it's spoken by a lot of other people, and you can use it to talk to computers; computers are very good conversation partners because they always do what you tell them, and unless you say something very wrong, they always reply as fast as they can
and you can make lovely things together!
so yea, learn Python I guess

>Python: "There should be one -- and preferably only one -- obvious way to do it."

just filter the sp*c, dont give him (you)s, thanks

Lads i cannot fucking decide on a language and it is stressing me the fuck out. I'm going to end up doing basically nothing (arsing about on duolingo, the occasional assimil or pimsleur week of effort) like i did the past two years.

make a list of 10 that you like and then let digits decide

Just do what you wanna do user

The fact that chinese is a tonal language blows the fuck out your dumb fucking argument. Now fuck off cunt

Suck my dick you ugly kraut cuck, and do something with your life

>he can't distinguish between a flat (singing) and rising (question) tone
is it autism?

I aint posting this images for nothing lad

Attached: image.jpg (678x452, 156K)

Attached: image.jpg (1024x3899, 888K)

ah, just realized the second line is
> Heißt das, äh ... Sie sind jetzt frei?

Your german is bretty good lad, where did you learn it?

middle school and high school

Tfw my shitty southern education system didnt offer langs in middle school

I'm also from the south, public schooling too, I guess I got lucky though

not even spanish?

Nice I just had one year in high school, i wish i learned it more in school tho

My area was 90% black and in the hood though
Nope lol

You probably know Ebonics then right? That's a second language

>an extra 150 hours
Literally impossible. This titan of a language should only be attempted after mastering all other Germanic languages and a Romance language. Verbs conjugated 6 millions times slice right through barbar English grammar.

I'm a bit confused about pinyin and hanzi.
Is it basically that hanzi are the characters that actually have meaning, and they each correspond to unique pinyin that's used interchangeably to represent them?

Is learning a tonal language easier if you've played musical instruments? Could b interesting. Alexander Arguelles kinda talked about it: youtube.com/watch?v=fhy4Cyr5WTs

>Eastern France
>German language

Attached: 1336745415321.jpg (464x350, 41K)

Is HelloTalk useful? Do people actually want to teach and learn?

anyone one learning German here and know where you can watch German movies online with German subtitles?

Alsace & Lorraine

FSI language classification is horse shit. Indonesian/Malay have very simplified grammar. Korean grammar is much less complex than German and the writing system is the easiest in the world and no tones. These idiots probably think all East Asian languages are like Chinese. Swahili is definitely easier than German. Slavic languages are much easier than Hungarian/Finnish.

I think you mean Elsaß-Lothringen.

Attached: deathbybaguette.jpg (667x747, 72K)

/lang/ meetup when ??

I keked

Attached: 1545356504099.jpg (697x697, 53K)

ik vind de maatschappelijke druk op de jaarwisseling feesten onnodig en overbodig oetz

that'd be kinda hard to pull off
and the one nurse toothpaste who helped me most and is nice is too afraid to meet =(
>tfw everyone who'd come to Amsterdam would just get stoned

Attached: 1391951474152.png (552x503, 473K)

aaaand I quoted the wrong post

Just finished watching this guy explain how you can learn a new language in six months. Seemed like some pretty neat ideas so I wanted to share

you are all nice people sorry im drunk

forgot the link whoopsie

youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0

>is too afraid to meet
N- not true.
>nurse
Rude.

Nog een fijn jaar toegewenst, makker.

Attached: 1535915547044.jpg (657x527, 56K)

fijne jaarwisseling user :3
mss ga ik je trakteren volgend jaar hé

chill bumps
cooking with bob marley in the background is comfy af

this thred will see a new year

Attached: kut.jpg (631x300, 30K)

Happy new year allochtoon :3

>And Russian tier 4? All Slavic langs other than bulgarian and macedonian are easily harder than Chinese.
i know simple japanese and i could say that while russian has some quirks it by no means on the same level with japanese which is similar to its chink brother.
it could not be even considered that european language for a person from european descent may be harder than asian big trio.
you prolly joking my London fella

well, i just said well-known facts here...

Yeah nip is demonstrably more difficult. My real issue is that there are too few categories - for example, sure maybe Russian isn't the hardest, but it's certainly harder than other cat4 langs like Farsi or Turkish.
Also Chinese is way overrated in terms of difficulty and is completely different from Japanese.
It's phonological system is awkward, but again, is you have any knowledge of linguistics it shouldn't be too hard. And it's writing system, while very tough just doesn't (imo) warrant it being on the same level as Arabic or Korean.

It's new year's challenge time

Easy
>I love nuts
>What's the story, morning glory?
>What kind of wine are you drinking tonight?
>New year, new me

Medium
>I had hoped that the new year hadn't come round so quickly but it has
>I was thinking that you should come round to my farm and drink a few beers with me while gazing at the stars
>Are you busy? I wanted to talk to you about my dissertation
>I'm sorry, sir, but you are prohibited from drinking on this premise

Hard
>In my opinion, the southerners have it correct - we ought to avoid eye contact and avoid discourse at all costs
>Excuse me, can you stop the fireworks? It's scaring my rabbit and I'm afraid if they go on for any longer my rabbit may develop myxomatosis and, consequentially, perish even though I aimed for a life span of 9 years for my rabbit
>If it weren't for the nips being so good at building ships, the yards would still be open on the Clyde
>It perplexes me that you would even think about handing control of Jersey to the French all for some petty, measly compensation of half a million pounds and some short-term gratitude

and to you too user, and to all the other anons

oh user you could've waited an hour or so and have the first challenge of the year...

>tfw Romania is already in 2019 and I'm still in 2018
so much for moving for a better life, literally an entire year behind baka

what are you doing for new year?
i'm doing fucking NOTHING

New
>Me amo tuercas
>Que es la historia, gloria de la manana?
>Que tipo de vino estas bebiendo esta noche?
>Nuevo ano, nuevo yo

Medium
>tenía esperado que el ano nuevo no ha venido tan rapido pero ha hecho
>Estuve pensando que deberías venir a mi granja y bebes un poco de las cervezas conmigo mientras mirando a las estrellas
>Estás ocupado? Quería decirte de mi disertación
>Lo siento, señor, pero estas prohibito de beber en esta premisa

Hard
>En mi opinión, los sureños lo tienen correcto - deberíamos evitar el contacto visual y evitar discurso a todo a ultranza
>Disculpe, puedes dejar del fuegos artificiales? Esta asustando mi consejo y tengo miedo que si continuan por más tiempo, mi consejo tal vez desarrollará mixomatosis y, consecuentemente, perecerá aunque apunté por esperanza de vida de 9 anos por mi consejo
>Si no fuera por los nips ser tanto bueno con construir los barcos, las yardas todavía estarían abiertos en el Clyde
>Me deja perplejo que entragarías el control de Jersey a el francés todo por algunos pequeno, mezquino compensacion de un medio millon pounds y algunos gratitud a corto plazo

Welp, it's new year's somewhere, la. *cracks open beer*

I bought two hamburgers from Smash Burger. I'm eating one now, saving one for 2019

helemaal niks jonguh
I was so busy with work a couple of months ago I literally forgot to fly back to .ro so it's the first time I ain't doing jack shit for ny and it's pretty nice; had some dinners with frens for holidays and right now going outside is basically suicide
I've turned my whole place upside down looking for some paracetamol, with no luck, everything is closed

so I've poured myself a glass of the best whisky I have in the house, Aberlour A'Bunadh, specifically a bottle from batch No. 57 (A'Bunadh apparently means "of the origin" in Gaelic); Matured exclusively in Spanish Oloroso sherry butts (haha butts); 60.7%
imo a good /lang/ whisky, a combination of many cultures and tastes
almost orangey and creamy, it's very rich in taste, tickles every little lucky spot of your tongue before kicking you in the neck

oh and
>first post of the new year

Happy new year to all anons and frens
may the new year bring about big language gains, and only nice, helpful posters
I still remember the first time I came here, surprised at how helpful everyone was correcting my shitty mistakes, that I still make sometimes. To this day it's the thread/general that I've stayed in the most, since my first day on 4chins many years ago and it has helped me immensely with motivation and language help
I find it amazing that we manage to survive on this board, but it's all because of anons being nice and helpful and sharing their skills and knowledge with others
so let's continue to do that in 2019

LEARN DUTCH

Attached: 1525694268395.jpg (334x506, 42K)

thanks user
>so I've poured myself a glass of the best whisky I have in the house, Aberlour A'Bunadhso
Based, I'm doing the same, but just drinking fucking beer like normal

I hope this coming year is at least marginally less shit than 2018. i gave up on no less than 2 languages this year
As for learning i'm gonna start new lang in January
wish me luck