Most of the 'difficult' English words are all derived from Latin

>Most of the 'difficult' English words are all derived from Latin
>Spaniards, Latinos, Italians, Portuguese, Brazilians, hell even the French have a huge advantage
>Russians have to spend years to memorize thousands of these words that already exist in their languages

Not FAAAAAAAAIR

Attached: 01349756[1].jpg (500x486, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/eu/fight_the_fog_en.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The hardest word in English for Russians is "the"

I sound russian when I speak english for some reason

What would be a difficult english word for you?

>even the french
m80 england is literally a french colony

I heard about this but it seems a meme. Portuguese doesn't sound Russian to me.

everything that ends with -ous for examle
perfidious
tumultuous etc
even simple words like
ridiculous
appreciate
fornicate
perpetuate
etc
we still have to memorize it and you already know them!!!

>"the"
The most disgusting sound.

Attached: B9wRBqe9Y0M.jpg (810x1080, 217K)

It is not a meme, they have a lot of similar sounds

Some other examples :
to molest - molestar
repugnant (took me 3 years to stop forgetting what it means) - repugnante
revoke - revocar
invoke - invocar
ambiguous - ambigua
treacherous - traicionera
rigid - rigido
flaccid - flacido
rancid - rancio
lucid - lucido
rabid - rabioso

shit i am tired. you get the point. english is basically spanish/portuguese.

then why can't i hear them

I'm not convinced the others can speak it either.

Attached: euro engrish.jpg (1638x739, 224K)

relax OP, each language group has an issue with learning another language with different roots
I'm sure you're doing just fine :)

>repugnant (took me 3 years to stop forgetting what it means) - repugnante
You are just a brainlet.

Is this actually a thing?

Attached: 1491127761697.jpg (400x323, 51K)

What language is easier to learn if you're russian?

well if it makes you feel better most latinos here can't speak or understand english unless they live in latin america or were raised here

other slavic languages, that is really a no brainer

life is full of disappointments indeed
but look at the good side
for someone who speaks a non-european language it's probably even harder

yes, it's actually a problem
au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/eu/fight_the_fog_en.pdf
it will be interesting to see what happens after the UK leaves

Attached: fight the fog.png (649x892, 113K)

>fight the fog
More like fight the frog lmao.

This is the intention

Attached: franglish.png (658x749, 130K)

That how instead of what

Attached: 1546571676410.jpg (477x615, 297K)

>10iq thread

Yeah it was a stupid question

Well it seems specific to French. Btw every other thread on Jow Forums is "how is it called?" so it is hard for Spanish and Russian speakers as well. And "actual" is also a false cognate in Russian.

it actually sound a lot more like polish with the psh and ch stuff

Doesn't Russian have Latin/Greek derived words for scientific things? Like isn't your word for information "informacija"? Or am I retarded?

A lot of the advice in there is just as applicable to native speakers. Using concrete language, preferring the active over the passive voice and keeping it short (i.e. omit needless words) are straight out of The Elements of Style.

>Btw every other thread on Jow Forums is "how is it called?"
True enough. I've also noticed a tendency of Slavs to use "he" when referring to inanimate objects.

U a not retarded. We have shit tons of Greek words and not only for science.

It doesn't help us a lot, desu.

Okay, I feel better now.

Yes of course we do, but it is all relative. We have super common words that probably exist or sound similar/uderstood in non-Romance languages as well. Three most common ones: informacia, milicia, federacia and pederastia

You'd have an easier time with Latin grammar than most Romance speakers.

>psh
Only if you're a sugar cane farmer.

>>Most of the 'difficult' English words are all derived from Latin

Yes, many are, but most aren't. Memorizing words is the easiest part of learning English. You just need to keep checking the words and their meanings from time to time.

Attached: 567457.jpg (534x768, 91K)

I don't know. Just because we have a similar case system? The concept is familiar yes, but that's when the similarities end.

lmao... we have it harder lol

It's a bit deeper than that. Cases, plus lack of articles, plus using the free word order to convey topic vs. comment... "old-fashioned" IE languages like Latin and Russian are similar in this, but it became completely alien for Romance speakers.

Ah, plus vocative for non-defective Slavic languages :^)

You have a point, maybe the first 2k or 3k words are fairly common and would require a comparable effort. But I think to speak fluently you need to know about 5k or if you want to appear ((intellectual)) you probably need to know a lot of fancy words on top of that. But a lot of those more difficult/fancy words from 4k+ are from the Latin. So you know a lot of them before you start. How the hell should I memorize, say serendipity, but you probably have serendipidad

Not going to argue about that. I have no idea how you guys manage to learn european languages even if some basic words like informacia is probably rojhuvuoripommittippumitavittauniemi in Finnish?? No wonder some Finns choose to speak Swedish instead :D

>vocative for non-defective Slavic languages :^)
Kill me, thank god I don't have to learn Russian cases. I've seen some Russian textbooks in English and they are depressingly complicated and I don't even know most of those fancy terms. Maybe you mean locative. Maybe vocative. The fuck should I know :)

euro english is clearly better and more logical than standard simpleton britoid "english"

get on with the times, grandpa

This is how I do it:

Word + meaning + examples

I have a document with English words that I keep checking from time to time to memorize them.

Attached: file.png (1366x768, 131K)

absolute trash method.

Why? It's just to memorize words. It works for me.

I meant vocative. Some stupid banter based on Russian losing the case (it's still alive in most other Slavic languages) - e.g. Polish.

On your original topic, English: yes, there are a lot of fancy Romance/Latin words, but most of them are useless if you don't know the core Germanic words. And those are a bitch both for Slavs and Romance speakers.

t. That Italian who asked me if it was 'how are you from' or 'where are you from' and then didn't believe me

>russians learning english

Truly, a conquered people.

Attached: 1518409821922.jpg (481x401, 66K)

Nice. I wish I was as organized. Do you of this website, linguee? It can generate examples based on excerpts from real news/etc. So you know it is proper usage, not some contrived examples.

Yeah I see what you mean. I honestly have no idea how cases work in Polish or other slav languages.

Attached: pqp.png (854x607, 61K)

Linguee, vocabulary.com, thefreedictionary but Google Translate is the best in my opinion.

Attached: file.png (1366x768, 189K)

Wiktionary is another great resource

did google translate add examples recently? I used Linguee occasionally in the past but I don't remember if google had examples a while back so I just continued to use Linguee.

Half of those things are just synonyms.

yep i know the feel.
But don't you guys use Latin-rooted words at all?

I've been using it since 2014 and the examples were always there...

Spaniards don't learn English despite this.

Yes we do

>mfw hearing a Russian girl's accent

Attached: 1541050006923.jpg (759x685, 42K)

Molest and molestar are false friends though. Molestar = to bother.

>Spaniards, Latinos, Italians, Portuguese, Brazilians, hell even the French have a huge advantage
>hell even the French have a huge advantage
Most of the words you're talking are French words. Most of them are still written exactly the same in both languages. So I'm pretty sure we have it the easiest, despite being quite bad at English as a people.

estrange. why?

yeah, so you have it easier than us at least.
All those words like tuberculosis etc are all wtf to me.

so when the bumblebee man says me ha molestado it means bothered not molested??

>despite being quite bad at English as a people.
What? I thought most French were fluent in English. You are next to UK and probably visit there all the time and watch their TV

Yes... But since the writers of that show are English speakers maybe they thought it meant "molested".

I heard you borrow a lots of English words and just "japanize" them, so it would be tu-be-lu-ku-lo-si-su. Or is it a meme?

Kek, probably

maybe you've only listened to Brazilian Portuguese? It's the Euro one that sounds like pyccknn

Most of the French don't travel abroad (especially not to the UK) so maybe they don't feel the need.

Attached: ef-epi-europe.jpg (1260x1260, 330K)

This is less about "whatever gov you pay taxes to" Portuguese and more about the actual dialect. "European Portuguese" as a whole doesn't sound that Slavic; Extremenho/Lisbon (Shtramáinhu? kek) does, due to the apparent consonant clusters and allowing word-ending SH. Alentejano on the other hand sounds like you'd expect, and Azorean sounds, well... not Slavic but weird as fuck.

And it's even funny because you do have some Slavic-influenced Portuguese dialects in the "fraiburguês" dialectal zone, and yet people don't see them as Slavic-sounding at all.

Tuberculosis in Japanese is Kekkaku.
We do have English loan words, but not that many desu.
It fucking sucks I've studied English for 10 years, and I don't even know basic words a 4th grader should know like pistil, Stamen, botany etc.

You have it much easier if you want to learn any other Slav languages. Learning Russian was a pain in the ass for me (burger). For major language speakers there are always advantages and disadvantages.

Sorry, friend. There are downsides desu, like most of Portuguese speakers have difficulty with unlinking the two languages, making our English sound weird and clunky generally speaking. whereas from what I've seen in this board Russians and East Europeans in general have it mastered
On the other hand, Russian has been a pain in the ass to learn. Specially pronunciation. I swear to God ш and щ are the same thing. Don't even get me started with ы and ь

I had no idea. How do you know so much about these differences?

> Kek kaku
top kek. based japanese people have a point. don't you have diarrhea with that.

Let's say I mess with this stuff a bit too much.

>swear to God ш and щ are the same thing. Don't even get me started with ы and ь
щ is basically soft ш like in the -sion suffix in English. b just makes the consonant softer. for example the hard L can sound softer like in Spanish. ы is basically i but deeper. It really depends on the preceding/following consonants. But the best part is, unlike English, you will still be understood!

That's pretty impressive 2bh

Not a fucking chance poland is equal to germany in english. But yeah i think Finland and France shows that the main thing that goes into learning a language is what you can tangibly get out of it

I attest that it's because even those words are still specialized vocabulary in the vernacular for a very narrow field. You don't come across these words in daily life unless you actually go out of your way to find them. Don't worry, keep learning.

even the concepts of softened and hardened sounds are alien to me. ш doesn't really sound softer than щ, just slightly different. of course this is a wrong perception, and I hope to catch up with it at some point, but pronunciation has been hard to learn specially because I don't have someone by my side telling me whether I'm wrong or not. if it wasn't for the Russian general it would have been even harder

meant the opposite of course. щ doesn't sound softer than ш

Soft = palatalized. The middle of the tongue gets really close to the roof of the mouth on soft/palatalized consonants, but it stays away for hard consonants.

You can notice the difference in the words "chato" and "Chico". When you say the CH in "Chico", your tongue raises as a whole, while in "chato" only the tip raises. Portuguese doesn't use this productively, but Russian does, and that's the difference between Щ and Ш.

BTW (if that makes you feel better) German is probably the hardest language for us from the list of the commonly studied languages (others being English, Spanish and French). I don't really speak Spanish or French but I can guess a bit just because I know some English. But that absolutely doesn't help with German! You;d have to memorize even the simplest words from scratch. I be like wtf English is supposed to be a Germanic language, but I'd rather learn a romance language after English than German.
щ sounds like sh in sushi but still softer
your tongue basically touches your lower teeth (at least mine does) Ш sounds a lot harder and the tongue touches the upper part of your mouth. You can switch between ш and щ by just moving your tongue back and forth and without changing anything else.

>Soft = palatalized
Yes you know it better than me :)

Yeah learning the basics of french and german, french has way more in common in grammar and everything. Just completely different words for articles while German the words are similar but its hidden behind the languages autism anyway.

Thanks. I have little to no experience with Russian though, this is mostly from phonetics.

Having an example from my mother tongue is actually way more helpful than I imagined. Don't think I'll forget this any soon, thanks friend

I had heard some explanations already but my English isn't good enough to be used as a reference. finding resources for Russian in Portuguese isn't very easy either. good thing Russians are actually really considerate with Russian learners. spasibo, drug

pozhaluysta :)
on a bright site, at least you are not studying polish. They have at least 2 or 3 extra hissing sounds similar to ш и щ which we can't distinguish or reproduce and even other slavs can't either.
>grzegorz brzęczyszczykiewicz
youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U

The Dutch and Scandis have it a fair bit easier than Frogs because English is structurally much closer to them than French, Spanish speakers have it easier than you too because their language is fairly simple like English. Don’t be fooled by our shared vocabulary, it’s why Frogs are so infamously shit at English when you speak it, you get too confident and end up speaking Franglais.

it's like you live on bizarro earth

Spanish is much harder than English. Same level of difficulty as French. The subjunctive mood alone is a major pain. But it does exist in French.

English is most definitely not Spanish and Portuguese, those are merely bastard Latin, like Italian

Do they teach Spanish at any schools in Rossiya?

This. Based Kara Boga

Not very common. It would have to be some kind of a 'special' school. I'd say 90% english, then German and French. Our boomers mostly learned German though.

why russians h8 "the"

The dutch are our friends.

There's no "a" or "the" in Russian so it's unnatural for them to say it. This part of speech is called an article BTW

>toeristisch

Attached: k.jpg (600x481, 44K)