>Goes to the moon once

Lmao China is laughably behind in the world of science. The only based thing they did that actually contributed to science was that guy to CRISPR'D those twins last year.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 7.22.35 PM.png (379x478, 262K)

cope

he didn't even do it properly. Not only did he violate the code of ethics, he also failed. What a ballsack

>Not only did he violate the code of ethics

Attached: 1521430273623.jpg (387x437, 40K)

>how the mighty dollar falls

I want to read that

wait why is this dominating news when we have rovers on mars?

>doing something we did half a century ago
Fascinating.

Because Americans, both left and right, love to shit on their own country.

The space industry is somewhat confusing and relies a lot on experience. America made Saturn V in the 60's which ended up being the most powerful liquid rocket ever yet NASA couldn't replicate it now simply because their engineers lack the actual experience in creating rockets. America putting it's 50th rover on Mars isn't news as they already have that shit down. China putting one on the Moon is as it shows Chinese engineers improving even if it was done a while ago.
Even the American space industry would have a bit of trouble landing on the moon again. Just because a country did it once doesn't mean it still has the engineers to do it again.

right but if anyone has done it ages ago and more impressively then why is ANYONE doing it, why are articles being written like "wow they're the next superpower" when they're doing something we surpassed 50 years ago

just don't get it

>Just because a country did it once doesn't mean it still has the engineers to do it again
It could be done if there was the money and motivation to do so, in fact it would be much much easier with modern technology and because the Moon is already a known quantity and not a mystery like it was in the 1960s.

>then why is ANYONE doing it
meant to write why is anyone doing it newsworthy*

They're literally doing it to do it. Many things in the space industry are literally just doing things to say you did it. The main point is to generate news and interest to try and up your funding while also giving your engineers good experience. The Moon is a good rehearsal for Mars.
Well yeah, in the 60's NASA's budget was essentially considered part of the defence budget. If they had more money they could do more but this doesn't change how experience based the aerospace industry is. Money and resources are extremely useful but they're practically worth nothing if your engineers aren't skilled enough to do anything new and useful with them.

>but they're practically worth nothing if your engineers aren't skilled enough to do anything new and useful with them.
What engineers aren't skilled enough to do what?

Attached: 1101610421_400.jpg (400x527, 48K)

That cover reminds me of the Brazil one

tbqh I'm bullish on the future of chinese biotech and pharma

Can't make progress without failure in science.

Best use of the soyboy meme I've ever seen

Maybe because 50 years ago they were Africa tier undeveloped?

Modern NASA engineers couldn't recreate Saturn V even if they had the money simply because their enginners aren't as skilled as they were in the 60's. The aerospace industry is not as simple as throwing money at any engineer, just because it was done decades ago doesn't mean it's a elementary task.

Why don't they have the same skill set?

let me teach you about chinese science

>In china professors are heirarchally loaded
>this means that you have (1) professor in charge of (3-10) other professors in charge of a further (3-10) professors
>this web of researchers is pressured via incentives to publish at an incredible rate regardless of the quality
>Publishing in Nature, Science, Advanced Materials or other high impact factor journals will net a young chinese research up to 2 years of pay as a bonus
>The result of this is that the chinese publish ANYTHING
>Including completly falacious material
>This is such a big issue that a lot of western academics no refuse to use chinese work as a basis for further investigation without vetting the work them selves

The chinese are literally destroying the scientific method by exploiting a system set up by Western scientists with a basis on ethical behavior. The chinese have no ethics and the current system of peer-review fails to catch even a fraction of their outright fabrications and lies.

Attached: 1523626572683.jpg (460x259, 14K)

Liberals ruined American education.

You might think this doesn't matter, and that's fine. Academic science has become very corrupt and big publishers triply so. but to ignore the threat that the chinese present to human progress by degrading the very system by which scientists share information and discoveries is profound.

Modern age conformity.

Really because the old NASA engineers died without passing their knowledge and experience down to the new generation. Not really any incentive to keep the space industry going when it runs at a multi-billion dollar loss and you can't benefit politically anymore. The government only gave half a shit about space after the moon landing and almost completely gave up on it after the Soviets kicked the bucket.

That's great. China is the ultimate tool to disrupt all the western civilization after all.

source? I highly doubt NASA doesn't have an archive of the original engineers' notes and their work.

They are quite literally destroying a millenium old system set up by the West which is responsible for all human engineering and technological achievements for short-term monetary gain. The damage will likely be irreparable. It bothers me a lot how little the world seems to care so I wanted to shout into the void here on int

Saturn V was made up of over 3 million parts made by hundreds of different companies, many of which no longer exist. It's not that simple

I've never been to NASA but I've been to CERN and all their scientist are just what you'd expect,nerdy leftist guys with glasses

>"wow they're the next superpower" when they're doing something we surpassed 50 years ago

Short version is it comes down to economic and military might.

The longer, more complicated version would show that there's a lot more national tasks to being a superpower than just that. And those who achieve the most tasks better suit superpower status.

Unfortunately, outside of "CHINA RISING. END OF AMERICA?" news articles, no ones really wants to go into the necessary detail that would prove that China will get close to seriously challenging the US, but ultimately fall flat.

How are they destroying it?
If it's any concern to anyone, they simply have to ignore any Chinese papers and any papers that cite them.

>they simply have to ignore
They never do this.

Because the entire basis of the peer-review system is based on checking if you came to the correct conclusion with the data you have. If you outright fabricate your data the peer-review system is powerless (mostly). Damaging that trust-based system between researchers is very bad. Further a lot of the fallacious work will spur further dead-end research that will take decades and billions of grant money before the realization that the original data that spurred t he investigation was falsified.

It's very bad and "lol ignore china" is both politically impossible and doesn't address the issue. A lot of western scientists do apply this but it doesn't stop a lot, most, some from citing their papers as part of their own paper drawing false conclusion you, the scientist with fuck china stance will integrate because you didn't notice citation #45 was Zhao et al which lead Thompson and Sturgen to conclude the wrong causation in their work.

You wouldn't build a Saturn V today anyway, at least not like you did the original because it was a product of the particular technology and manufacturing processes of that time. You'd build a completely new rocket with modern design processes.

>you didn't notice citation #45 was Zhao et al
Considering the amount of Chinese postgraduates and PhDs in western unis, most likely the citation would be Johnson, Falcao, Tristev, LeFroggier, and Zhao (who made all the falsified work), short "Johnson et al"

>via incentives to publish at an incredible rate regardless of the quality
well the whole modern academic world works this way, we are not alone.
>The result of this is that the chinese publish ANYTHING
as long it passes the peer-review
>They are quite literally destroying a millenium old system set up by the West
you are just being butt-hurt here dude

>Unfortunately, outside of "CHINA RISING. END OF AMERICA?" news articles, no ones really wants to go into the necessary detail that would prove that China will get close to seriously challenging the US, but ultimately fall flat.

A mere poster on an anonymous anime-themed international discussion board such as myself could give you a dozen reasons why they will never catch up to the Anglosphere and Western Europe.

>well the whole modern academic world works this way, we are not alone.
You are the only large publishing nation that ties publishing and impact factor directly to pay bonuses. Yes western researchers are judged and hired based off publications and impact but no where is it as naked and bald-faced as China. Further, your junior researchers will often NOT be paid a salary and instead ONLY be paid for publications. The system punishes good science and rewards LPU's and fabrication.

As my Italian colleague once said "If it's by a Chinese group, discard"

Correct, Saturn was mostly mechanical and outdated even if it was the most powerful ever made. SLS was supposed to be NASA's new heavy lifter but it's nowhere close to Saturn V and it's a huge waste of money which keeps getting delayed. It will probably be made obsolete by the time it actually launches by SpaceX with their BFR.

Attached: sls.jpg (3256x2306, 1.8M)

It's like Soviet science half of which was bunk designed to back up the state political agenda and not peer reviewed by the international community. Science papers in China are much the same, they are designed to glorify the party and the state, aren't peer reviewed, and what's more rely a lot on Lysenkoism.

The thing predated microprocessor electronics even; the Saturn flight control computer weighed something like 300 pounds.

>A mere poster on an anonymous anime-themed international discussion board such as myself could give you a dozen reasons why they will never catch up to the Anglosphere and Western Europe.

Most people will believe the news over an anonymous poster on an anime themed international discussion board. Which is sad seeing as modern news has a real tendency to lack any real facts to do with geopolitics. China isnt even self sufficient with its energy needs, something the Soviet Union at least had and didnt stop them collapsing.

>China isnt even self sufficient with its energy needs
We build many new nuclear power station in China. As many as they wish.

>half of which was bunk
Russian STEM was top notch. Social studies was a pile of crap.

This entire thread reads like /b/tards trying to discuss psychology. Why do so many Americans and crypto-yanks turn into slobbering retards at the mention of China?

>Russian STEM was top notch.
*destroys the Aral Sea*

I wonder this myself. Whenever I even mention the fact that China is currently on track to steamroll the West (and when I post this I never do it in a pro-China way; rather I do so in a "we should seriously wake the fuck up" way), it's always the same response from ameriturds: accusing me of being a chink, and then spouting the same tired old memes about "muh ghost cities", "muh chinese elite are inventing jobs to keep the population happy", "muh plagiarism" from the early 2000's. At this point, they're well beyond having their head in the sand, their head is pretty much in the fucking aquifer by now.

No it wasn't. You point can be destroyed by posting a picture of one guy

>Plagiarism

China sells exact copies of American and Japanese engines. The difference is the Chinese shit will fall apart quickly

Thanks for proving my point

OP just got evicted by Bobby Zhang for failing to pay rent.

1. China has a language that is difficult to speak and write, it has no chance of replacing English as the international language of business
2. China has absolutely no technology that wasn't bought or stolen from the West; they cannot innovate or create anything on their own
3, China has a poor geographical position that limits its power projection ability
4. China lacks any international allies and is surrounded by hostile neighbors
5. China is about 600 million people past an ideal population size
6. China has about the world's worst pollution
7. China is not self-sufficient in food or energy--most fuel oil comes through the Strait of Malacca, an easy choke point
8. China lacks any kind of exportable culture
9. The Chinese state has to devote huge amounts of resources to surveillance and preventing political unrest or revolt
10. Corruption in the government occurs on a vast scale

There. That's ten reasons. :^)

>Make jokes about why people always fall back on the one thing Chinese engineering and production thing is known for globally
>People make fun of you for citing that one thing as a proper argument
>Heh, just like I planned, you activated my trap card

Woooow, big fucken brain plays you crayon eating retard. Never in my entire time on any Jow Forums board have I seen something so dumb. Not even all the greentext stories on /b/ could top that shit.

Literally the pinnacle of Canadian intelligence.

American robotics engineering is top notch, these probes and rovers are extremely capable, but you're right that launch platforms are lagging

>but you're right that launch platforms are lagging

That was because after the 70s, the US space program somehow forgot how to design rocket engines.

the Chinese manipulate western university systems as well
they scramble for TA or Associate Prof positions so they can get answers and hand out their own "study guides" which allow chinese students to cheat and get degrees they are not qualified for.

its a bad culture where only the looks/surface level matters even if the entire core is rotten and a person has zero real skills.

Freakin BASED

But you cannot stop it. China will disrupt all the western institutions, scientific, social, economical.

That isn't at all what I'm talking about.

Some serious tinfoil hat shit going on in this thread.

You did all that in the 70s and we stopped you. :^)

Keep your head in sand.

Attached: trump-toilet-paper-450x450_1465216422.jpg (700x700, 34K)

>You did all that in the 70s
No.

Trust me, Boris. The KGB were engaged in a huge subversion campaign of Western media and universities back then and they funded most of the antiwar and radical movements in the US during the Vietnam era.

No.
The same fake news as "mah Russia collusion"

Modern Russia doesn't have the resources to do that kind of stuff anymore.

russian collusion has already been proven though, just not to the extent that democrats want it to be

You said that about our hypersonic missile a year ago. Now you are stuck with your outdated missile defense.
How proud of yourself mutts could be?

It amounted to spending about $5000 on Facebook ads IIRC.

American democracy is very fragile!

Its more about the lack of funding than the lack of engineers, they still have the technology

In the 60s, the government was willing to spend unlimited amounts of money on the space program out of Cold War oneupmanship. There just isn't the same motivation today which is why SpaceX takes years and years to do things that were completed back then in a quarter of the time without the technology, tools, and knowledge of today, when there was unlimited funding and a sense of urgency.

>that guy to CRISPR'D those twins last year.
supposedly.