What do you think of this controversial quote?

The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

Attached: Arthur_Schopenhauer-1000x600-min.jpg (833x500, 68K)

^-^

Attached: nigaoe_schopenhauer.png (385x400, 136K)

I firmly believe in it. Schopenhauer was an interesting character. Despite his flaws he made a lot of good points.

didn't read any of that
why? because;
>Reading is merely a surrogate for thinking for yourself; it means letting someone else direct your thoughts. Many books, moreover, serve merely to show how many ways there are of being wrong, and how far astray you yourself would go if you followed their guidance. You should read only when your own thoughts dry up, which will of course happen frequently enough even to the best heads; but to banish your own thoughts so as to take up a book is a sin against the holy ghost; it is like deserting untrammeled nature to look at a herbarium or engravings of landscapes

I agree with this but only if you add that a person who also hates his countrymen in the opposite is no better than a person who finds pride in belonging to it.

I don't feel any national pride. But I do feel loyalty.

I would only feel pride if I was born as proud Türk

we've got Jow Forums instead now

>Australia

Checks out

Meaningless today. It's not against nationalism that is not about pride, but love. I love my people, my family and hate niggers. It must've meant something in the XIXth century, where "gentlemen" valued prestige immensely and stature was very important. Today there is no rigid social order like that, pride is meaningless.

> adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs
> last
I can't be proud of myself, can't be proud of my nation, but am proud of humanity. So national pride is definitely not the last resource.

Of course a german would say that

>for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud
No, it doesn't. It's a fallacy. There's plenty of inventors, scientists, artists and other contributors to humanity's achievements who were deeply patriotic.
>as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail
It is not only possible, but arguably even required to understand and accept shortcomings of your nation to take some actual pride in it.
Why does this pretentious quote get reposted so often anyway? It seems to be the same thing for cosmopolitan soyboys that Dawkins' atheism is to obese fedora tippers.

He's wrong. The cheapest form is racial pride

schopenhauer was fucking based
also 100% true

i mean, national pride is a form of self-defense.
if you don't have it and you are willingful to give up your country to anyone, you can already prepare yourself to become a slave.

Are you living in the Early Middle Ages, yet?

kkkk, Its unironically that has Europeans with this mindset, that is paranoid redneck level of thought

nazis looked pretty patriotic to me
>It's a fallacy

Attached: 1531536687534.png (714x800, 73K)

unironically funny**

>t. third world country mainly because it is cucked by los estados unidos

BASED

It's based, but it is also wrong, like this guy says
Still, nationalism is a human cancer that must be eradicated.

kkkk.
Now you displayed how much you don't know about Brazil's history and politics. Idk why Europeans even make fun of American rednecks, yours are on the same level or even worst.

oh yes i know that you got a dictatorship set up by los in the seventies and more or less destroyed your country, along side with other latam nations.

Nationalism as well as racial pride are just forms of tribalism. Tribalism is part of human nature. Pride is just a feeling; a feeling of satisfaction. Nation is just like a football team.

Attached: 1552395663298.jpg (500x522, 19K)

It was set up by them, the plan of a coup, and back in the day it had popular support and the prior idea wasn't to make it a dictatorship, but Yadda yadda its a long period full of nuances and that make Brazil's dictatorship a little different than the others in LATAM, existed way before, but when established it had U.S support. But that has little to none related about what you talked. Even in dictatorship times Brazil was not a puppet from the U.S, so is that Brazil had observatory status on the Non-Aligned Movement, and like always had a strong protective politic in various areas, always with this nationalism/patriotism in mind, that is a mark of the most politicians in Brazil, that in my perception is one of the causes of flaws in Brazil.
A unironically, the first and only government that seems to be whiling to blindly flow the U.S is the Bolsonaro government, that is ultra nationalistic and got elected by a nationalistic ideas and mottos.

And as I said, you none little to none of Brazil's history and politics to think using Brazil as a example proves your point. Actually, in many points is possible to use Brazil as example of how meaningless nationalism is for the development of a country.

> Act irrationally like a bunch of territoriality apes is okay cause biologism.

hur.

Nazis don't have much in common with actual German culture.

i mean, doesn't the average german believe that slavs, meds, negers etc.. are basically subhumans?

The same logic that Schopenhauer used to denounce nationalism as folly also applies to racism.

Schopenhauer did believe in the inferiority of dark-skinned peoples (with the exception of Hindus Indians).

Humans evolved from apes (except Brazilians, but we're on our way)
Sex is a very animalistic thing, too but normal

by this same reasonment you could say batistas cuba wasn't a puppet of the us.
if you look a bit beyond the lens of the official versions of the facts you see that if an actual nationalist, unaligned dictatorship would have happened, the nation would surely have industrialized. every nation industrialized under a period of nationalism. This didn't happen in brazil becuase the usa didn't allow it, and also it removed the idea of having a nationalist government from the mind of brazilians, so this occurrence e would never happen in the future. brilliant plan.

>Why does this pretentious quote get reposted so often anyway?

Because it applies so well to nationalists and racists on Jow Forums.Sure, as you point out, some great individuals have been patriots, but the vast majority of edgy, obnoxious white supremacists or obsessive flag-wavers on Jow Forums and Jow Forums and the like are absolute losers trying to take unearned pride in the accomplishments of superficially-similar people. That they think they can call themselves better than even the least-accomplished foreign or dark-skinned academic or businessperson is always laughable, because while their race or nation may have produced great individuals who could justifiably look down upon those folks, the anons themselves have almost never achieved anything of the sort.

No, he didn't.

Lording your football team's superiority over people in day-to-day life, especially people who don't give a shit about pro football and just want to live their own lives and accomplish their own achievements, is often seen as obnoxious and childish.

So... Good analogy.

>The highest civilization and culture, apart from the ancient Hindus and Egyptians, are found exclusively among the white races; and even with many dark peoples, the ruling caste or race is fairer in colour than the rest and has, therefore, evidently immigrated, for example, the Brahmans, the Incas, and the rulers of the South Sea Islands. All this is due to the fact that necessity is the mother of invention because those tribes that emigrated early to the north, and there gradually became white, had to develop all their intellectual powers and invent and perfect all the arts in their struggle with need, want and misery, which in their many forms were brought about by the climate. This they had to do in order to make up for the parsimony of nature and out of it all came their high civilization.

>muh racism

Irrelevant to my point. Taking undue pride in one's race is as silly as taking undue pride in one's nation, for the same reasons he pointed out.

Solid counterpoint, friend. I stand in awe of your intellect.

its true

Says the one literally using buzzwords to justify his weak views.

You don't deserve any better.

True enough, but I do think it's interesting that he apply such thoughts to one form of collectivism and not another. That's not to say I necessarily agree with him; the passage above depends on a dichotomy that I don't think holds, but it is interesting.

It is mostly accurate statement, but very incomplete. The author obviously has no understanding of why do people identify with groups, and what are groups to begin with.

The author was bitter because Prussia practically sponsored while ignoring him and his brilliance.

haha gottem