/lang/ - Language Learning General

>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Caribeño
>What language should I learn?
Proto-Indo-European
Previous Thread/Fir/Hilo/Faden/Fio

Attached: nbbn.jpg (2000x1333, 634K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AhC33ug-r5k
youtube.com/watch?v=YzpuQjU0F6Q
khalilicollections.org/all-collections/aramaic-documents/
youtube.com/watch?v=k62SUPisDeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for limba moldovaneasca

Where is the Chino guy?

rangebanned along with the rest of singapore hopefully

NEW LANGUAGE CHALLENGE!!!
EASY
>I do not know him
>She has 3 older brothers and 2 younger half-sisters.
>My shoes fell again
MEDIUM
>Netflix has received multiple Golden Globe Award nominations and wins since 2014.
>He became the new coach at my university
>The school uses French, which is also recognized by the Rwandan government.
HARD
>The cap is dry, colored yellow to light orange to brown, and often develops an irregular shape, especially when crowded
>Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks, so make sure to check your spam box!
>The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant loses all of its territory in Syria following its defeat by the Syrian Democratic Forces and the US-led coalition.

Anyone ever try transparent language?

I see humble bundle has a deal of 3 months for a dollar, but can't tell if it's worth it

Hello fellow PCV (I assume?), how are you?

Can't complain too much over here. I might have a connection here that could probably help get me an internship for somewhere in the UN, which means I need to abandon my current Norwegian language goals and learn something useful like french.

Spring hit there yet?

UN ay? That is pretty cool! Are you thinking of the Foreign Service too? But ya, Spring has finally arrived, although there are still days where the low is ~32F, but the highs are in the 60's now. So I am happy. I can finally go for walks and explore my area again

>Page 7
Ya ne mogu c etom

>de
Ich kenne ihn nicht.
Sie hat drei ältere Brüder und zwei jüngere Halbschwestern.
Meine Schuhe fielen noch mal.

Netflix hat seit 2014 viele Nominierungen und Gewinne der Golden Globe Awards bekommen.
Er ist der neue Trainer bei meiner Uni geworden.
Die Schule benutzt Französisch, das auch von der ruandischen Regierung erkannt wird.

Der Islamischer Staat im Irak und der Levante wird nach dessen Besiegung durch die Demokratische Kräfte Syriens und die US-geführte Koalition sein ganzes Gebiet verlieren.

>eo
Mi ne konas lin.
Ŝi havas tri pli aĝajn fratojn kaj du pli junajn duonfratinojn.
Miaj ŝuoj denove falis.

Netflix ricevadas ekde 2014 multe da nomumoj kaj premioj de la Premio Ora Globo.
Li fariĝis la nova trejnisto ĉe mia universitato.
La lernejo uzas la francan, kio ankaŭ estas agnoskita de la registaro de Ruando.

Can anyone think of topics to talk about in a /lang/ exam? I have to choose a topic

>Der Islamischer Staat im Irak und der Levante wird nach dessen Besiegung durch die Demokratische Kräfte Syriens und die US-geführte Koalition sein ganzes Gebiet verlieren.
Mann, so ein doofer Fehler. Es heißt natürlich 'der Islamische Staat' und nichts anderes.

Yeah, I'd really like to do UN. Maybe UNEP Even if I ended up hating it, I'm sure it could get me somewhere cool. I was thinking foreign service, but I like the sound of it less each day.

That sounds nice. I just visited a a volunteer in the mountains, and his site is usually in the 60s. It's already getting hellish out here mid-day. I miss the cool winter 70s. Not sure I could survive less than 40 degrees anymore.

EASY
>I do not know him
No lo conozco (el).
Ma ei tea tema.

>She has 3 older brothers and 2 younger half-sisters.
Tiene tres hermanos mayores y dos hermanas menores.
Tal on kolm vanemad venna ja kaks nooremad õed.

>My shoes fell again
Lo cayó mis zapatos otro vez.
Minu kingad uuesti(veel?) langesid.

MEDIUM
>Netflix has received multiple Golden Globe Award nominations and wins since 2014.
Netflix ha recibido muchas nominaciónes de premios de Golden Globe y éxitos desde 2014.

>He became the new coach at my university
Se convirte en el entrenador nuevo a mi universidad.
>The school uses French, which is also recognized by the Rwandan government.
La escuela usa frances, de que tambien esta recognizado por el gobierno de Rwanda.

Attached: photo-1522434356560-da38ca52c0a2.jpg (1000x666, 89K)

reading through this intro book

Attached: ME.png (1013x659, 113K)

>Netflix hat seit 2014 viele Nominierungen und Gewinne der Golden Globe Awards bekommen.

Auszeichnungen anstelle Gewinne

>Er ist der neue Trainer bei meiner Uni geworden.

an meiner*

>Die Schule benutzt Französisch, das auch von der ruandischen Regierung erkannt wird.

die ist auch* anerkannt * , also you dont have to put wird here this doesnt require the passive voice

Der Islamischer Staat im Irak und der Levante wird nach dessen Besiegung durch die Demokratische Kräfte Syriens und die US-geführte Koalition sein ganzes Gebiet verlieren.

I think there was a problem with the way moldova wrote this , the verb "loses" should be past tense , but you wrote your sentence in the future , although he did say "following the defeat" which it implies it was in the past

Der islamische staat verlor sein ganzes Gebiet in Irak und in der Levante, Nach der Niederlage gegen Demokratische Kräfte Syriens zussamen mit der US-geführte Koalition

why did you write nach dessen?

why didnt u pick a based country with a different lang to do some charity work, even moldova would have been based

>die ist auch* anerkannt * , also you dont have to put wird here this doesnt require the passive voice
Die because 'die französische Sprache' is implied instead of 'das Französisch'?

>why did you write nach dessen?
I thought after its defeat would be translated this way.

Thanks for your corrections. Much appreciated!

yeah and no problem

I didn't choose. I specified no specific country preference with a note that Africa would be preferred with agriculture/environment focus. Didn't even think that I might get sent to Jamaica. I don't really like it here, but I think it is useful for a future in development work. Middle income countries require much more sophisticated solutions, so it's helping me grow too.

Also, we speak an English creole here. There's a movement for language recognition because it's not really mutually intelligible. If you've ever listened to Sean Paul, that's an easy mode "acrolectic" dialect.

>Also, we speak an English creole here. There's a movement for language recognition because it's not really mutually intelligible. If you've ever listened to Sean Paul, that's an easy mode "acrolectic" dialect.

yeah that makes sense that it would be it's on language then

It av nuff problem dem. Mi tink seh yu kyan riid englush, yu kyan riid de patwa wurd dem.

The vocab is very similar, with occasional loan words from various west african langs. The grammar structure is simplified but filled with redundancies. In my experience, learning to read and write from English takes very little effort (a little more if you use the standardized alphabet), but to actually understand it is just as difficult as another language. Ironically, though most Jamaicans are fluent in both, they can't read Patwa.

damn nigga u fucked up, how much longer u staying? where are u going next?

What made you choose ME over OE

I'm out in a year. I like it here for the most part. Definitely couldn't live here. It's lonely as hell. Not re-enlisting with Peace Corps afterwards. If I do end up getting the internship with the UN there's a chance they'd put me here for at least another year. Living in the capital wouldn't be too bad, of course.

Too autistic to skip ME

based, he's doing it right

Non-stop listening: listening to your target lang 24 hours a day

>still no Israelis to be found, no replies on culturepals
Hmm, how do you join/get work with the UN user?

>still no Israelis to be found, no replies on culturepals
Hmm, how do you join/get work with the UN user?

Attached: 1496873064185.jpg (485x380, 42K)

I just want a cute frenchboy/girl to practice my french with, is it asking too much, mon Dieu ?

This but with Russian

wew what's wrong with my connection

What is the best way to get yourself to learn with structure? I have access to all the free pdfs nad audiobooks, duolingo, memrise, etc but i want a structured setup, is there any plan or routine thats proven to be efficient and work? I dont want to just do 10 minutes of each resource randomly a day.

Well technically all you need is relevant experience, one or two degrees, and to know at least two of their official working languages I think one of the languages has to be English, French, or Mandarin. The applications are online for the various departments, but it strikes me as the kind of thing someone tells you about, as the career pages are horribly difficult to navigate.

To get in, I think you try your luck as an unpaid intern, get in with the UN volunteers (which sounds extremely difficult itself), or apply for the junior officer program. If you're under 35, JOP is what gets you in for life.

Is Danish the easiest scandinavian language?

They are all relatively easy to learn, but I would start with Swedish since it is the most widely spoken. Norwegian is supposed to be very hard to write

Danish pronunciation is awful

How to learn 한국어?

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

EASY
彼は知られない
彼女は三人兄と二人異父姉妹をある
靴はまだ落ちるよ
MEDIUM
2014年までネットフリックスは複数のゴールデングローバルの任命と賞品をもらうである
彼は私の大学の新しいコーチになった
学校はフランス語の利用で、またルワンダは認めるである

Learn german first

>learning japanese
>60 words in I can't recognize vocabulary anime has taught me anymore
>somehow i must input and carve into my brain sets of sameish sounding words, the random squiggles and a situation associates with them
>the same fucking squiggle is used for 5 different things

Attached: 1553245426879.png (664x720, 615K)

welcome to learning Asian language. Now enjoy cramming vocab in your head until it explode, if learning Jap or Kor, not being able to understand sentences even while knowing the words and being asked why it takes you so much time by people who think language learning is easy because they were good at Spanish in high school. Enjoy Chinese fags telling you how hard they have it because they have to learn more characters. Also enjoy the lowering tolerance level from Japs and Kor as you get better and better at their language, meaning they willl be more and more unsympathetic around your mistakes.
This is a ride to hell. Rido no helldesu.
You can jump from the wagon at every time but then you will always be the guy who learnt an Asian language, Japanese to make things worst, and gave up, like so many weebs before you.
You put yourself in this situation, now you are either a weebfag who gave up, and failure will be added to the long list of humiliations. Or maybe 10 years later you achieve the sacro saint fluency and you get to understand jav and Chinese cartoons without translation. And this will be the achievement of your life. You doomed yourself baka. No amount of whining will reverse this, who would pity a Japanese learner let's be honest here. I would certainly not.

Attached: image0.jpg (226x225, 10K)

I've seen you asking about Israelis, I don't know why but if your interest is Hebrew, I recommend this video with English subtitles that I've seen several times, which features both Medieval and Contemporary Hebrew in it, the subject is purely Hebraistic: youtube.com/watch?v=AhC33ug-r5k According to Wikipedia, the traditions of these Jews and their version of Hebrew are remarkable.

At some points there's both English subtitles and Hebrew text, so it's bound to be useful.

This one is very similar to the point that one of them copied some of the other, but it's in English and it's not as good as that one: youtube.com/watch?v=YzpuQjU0F6Q

Are you a native Korean or a learner/migrant? Just wondering.

How many words do you learn per day Jow Forums ?

French in Korea

Thanks user, are you Jewish? Are you also interested in Hebrew? I'm glad I could read the text in the introduction and I can understand a bit of what the family is saying (not the yemenite Jews though).
Why is Arabic so hard to write and read? I'm considering studying it as soon as my Hebrew gets to an acceptable level.

20 in Anki.

I'm an Aramaic speaker, who's been waiting for a chance to add an article for it on the Jow Forums wiki. The language has a higher proportion of Jews compared to most languages, but I'm not one. And their ongoing "replacement" of the language with Hebrew would be a big blow to Aramaic, on its own ongoing path to endangerment & extinction. I believe I found those videos because the Yemen Jews are one of the few Jewish groups to still repeat the Targums, spoken translations of the Bible with slightly different material, from when Aramaic "replaced" Hebrew as the spoken language of Palestine & Israel. So now the zombie comes for revenge.

Like many speakers, I wasn't fully aware of the closeness with Hebrew and the long ties between the two, but videos with English subtitles like that first one have made it very clear. Did you know the Hebrew script is considered more or less a variation of the classical Aramaic script used by B.C. Emperors? I have found these images of that writing for comparison: khalilicollections.org/all-collections/aramaic-documents/

Indeed, the Jewish Talmud which might have the longest Aramaic text there is, Gemara, has it written in the Hebrew/Aramaic writing. So I might learn that even if I don't learn Hebrew, but listening I can constantly hear similarities (with the modern speech let alone ancient) so it wouldn't be hard.

In sum, if you have an interest in both Hebrew and Arabic, don't forget Aramaic and/or Syriac which is often named along with those two.

modern Judeo-Aramaic song from Israel: youtube.com/watch?v=k62SUPisDeI

Bump.

>page 8

So you're going in that direction, I see

I prefer starting with OE so that I can track the sound changes towards the modern period.

i've got my written german test on wednesday, still slightly nervous. im having the most trouble with just learning vocab and the appropriate genders but conjugating for nominative and accusative, verb placement, and pronouns im pretty confident with.

Viel Erfolg!

m 26
looking for girl for language learning purpose

LF for Koreans, Chinese, Russians

What language should I learn: Norwegian or Czech?

Fennoswedish

Attached: 15494586285310.jpg (226x258, 9K)

Czech because it's cute

Norwegian, obviously

Danish is very hard to pronounce and doesn't pronounce half the word. Norwegian has easy pronunciation.

Yeah, I've already looked this up. Even though danish has quite easier vocabulary than other scandinavian languages, norwegian is the easiest due to its simple grammar.
This post is mine as well. I'm struggling to choose which of these two languages shall I learn. I mean, I can do both, but not simultaneously. So I don't know which one to learn first. Norsk is easy bc it's somehow similar to english while czech is similar to russian

hi kelen

If you use Duolingo, Norwegian (from English) is arguably their best course. There's a couple Anki decks out there, but you're not going to find a lot of resources for Norwegian. Can't tell you about Czech though.

>page 7

Whats your major?

Learn German first then every scandi language except icelandic will be easier to learn

That's like telling a French speaker to learn Latin so Italian will be easier. Scandi languages are some of the closest to English and therefore some of the easiest to learn for anyone who speaks English.

Attached: 1495756483094.png (314x296, 200K)

Grammar-wise, it would just be easier to learn a scandi language. I'd probably recommend learning one in order to learn German.

Btw, I feel like 'to look up' doesn't really mean what I wanted to say. What's the right phrasal verb to express the process of examining something in order to get information concerning some problem?

this country is big gay, although i am learning two languages at once here. it is pretty cool desu

>this country is big gay
wat

Easy:
>Je Il ne connais pas.
>Elle ai trois vieux fils et deux cadette demi-sœur.
>Mon chausseurs assome encore.

Attached: 1553285208730.png (636x629, 540K)

>iedereen is lang
>meisjes hebben mannelijke stemmen
>geen anime op treinen en overal
>ik kan mijn eigen gedachten horen
>geen salarymen
tja, ik ben terug

>still no serbo-croatian on Duolingo

So what

Scandi languages aren't close.

French, Frisian, and Dutch are much closer.

2/5
Je ne le connais pas.
Elle a trois frères plus vieux et deux demies-soeurs plus jeunes.
Mes chaussures sont encore tombées.

Nous utilisons les mots Québecoise icitte.

Sorry, I'm usually buzzed here 24/7. Can't escape alcohol or drama here.

Cum duci tu? tot e normal?

>open bumps on pagene 7

>>I do not know him
>tfw I can only translate this one

》我不认识他。

>trips
nais
>Cum duci tu
Cum o (mai) duci
bine, sunt obosit ca am stat 11 ore pe avion si n-am dormit deloc, dar am calcualt treaba si n-ar trebui sa am jetlag daca ma tin pe picioare pana mai tarziu si ma culc dupa
maine wagey wagey again

Why so mean? Did you get cucked again?

You gotta start somewhere.

I finished an 8 hour shift on my feet as a line cook. My legs hurt, my feet hurt

I miss being a neet and learning all day

Did you flirt with the waitresses at least?

One said
> what's your name
> user
> Okai cool

Later another waitress and her friend were talking and one said
> What's your name
> user
> See? I told you it wasn't a complicated name.

I still don't know the waitress' names. The main chef is a 60 year old diabetic woman, and the other cook is a guy about my age

Where them frenchies at

Wait didn't mean to tag you

That doesn't really sound like flirting

I really hate Spanish class. I just want to become fluent and not deal with partners and cultural political shit

Zburati des?

Spanish is a dirty monkey language...y esa es la razon por la que lo hablo