Do Scottish people think of themselves as Scottish first or British first?

Do Scottish people think of themselves as Scottish first or British first?

Attached: 2000px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (2000x1200, 10K)

I consider myself Shetlandic first, then British then Scottish

Not scottish but if I was scottish I think I would think of myself as scottish first since thats more "local" to me, then british, then european, then earthian, then milky way.

Think about it---we always go from most local "I am from X city" to least local "I am an animal"

>Do Scottish people think of themselves as Scottish first or British first?
Almost universally the former. Same goes for the Welsh. It's understandable, when you consider that many foreigners use "British" and "English" interchangeably. Hell, even we're guilty of it at times.

truely they think Amecan first

Not even joking or memeing you, but when I was a kid I thought "English" was an old-fashioned or politically incorrect term for British. And British was the PC term for English.

Just by how our teachers would correct us--some kid says "English" and the teacher would go "BRITISH!" like English was an offensive term. Took me to adulthood to learn that there is Great Britain, UK, and England and what these terms mean

oh, because you’re a retarded retard who’s retarded, retard? retards, fuck FUCK RETARDS HOLY FUCK HOW CAN YOU BE SO FUCKING RETARDED FUCK YOU RETARDED RETARD FUCKING RETARD FUCKKKKK

um excuse you but the appropriate term is "special needs" please be mindful in the future ok.

PS--I love Brits and Im going to go visit your country in June hopefully

Interesting. Just out of curiousity, did your teachers refer to Shakespeare as "English", or "British"?

I dont know how often my teachers mentioned Shakespeare. I dont think I read him til I was in highschool, at which point he was referred to as "British" (I took a special elective, "British Writers" which was 75% Shakespeare, plus some Beowulf and Chaucer and the dude who wrote Lord of the Flies)

That makes me mad desu, because at that point most the Union didn't exist and those authors were exclusively English, not British.

Expat here.
Scottish, most people do too.
Only right wing guys who larp in the orange walk or people who have large amount of family in england think of themselves as british.

I’ve got no family that’s english, but I consider myself scottish last because they are an abhorrent, penny-pinching bunch of goat-fuckers

Like I said in my original post, many people use "British" and "English" interchangeably, so it doesn't really surprise me that you'd think of Shakespeare as being British. The only issue is that the concept of being "British", only came into existence when the Kingdoms of England and Scotland united in 1707, almost a century after Shakespeare death. In the UK, people would look at you weird if you referred to him as anything other than English. Having said that, I'm not about to hold it against foreigners for conflating the two terms.

In Ameircan high schools, you have "British Lit" for a year, which includes Shakespeare.

>British Lit
I don't believe you.

For Americans I think, this kind of historical sensitivity doesnt exist I think because our own history is so short we aren't used to this kind of sensitive distinction.

Sometimes we will say stuff like "Oh the Natives were the first Americans" even though no "America" existed then.

As always this depends where you go to school. In my school (Fraser Highschool in Michigan, mid 00s), British Lit was an elective (for "honors" students only, no less).

He is stupid for saying "American highschools" as if all highschools share 1 curriculum (we dont, its entirely locally set), but I have heard of "nicer" (wealthier) high schools making European history required. (Mine never required any Euro history, just American)

Maybe some also make British literature required,

Don't know what to tell you. British history is subsumed under European history, though.

I mean it being called 'British' Lit, and not 'English' lit.

dood...i freakin love the scottish people..ooh ah up the ra my dood..so freakin based

This, but English was still used to describe Shakespeare and other pre-union figures. After the union though Scottish and especially English are kinda regarded as "dead" nationalities in my high school that just gets replaced by British. It's bizarre, but I think as a whole your average American is very confused about UK identities and nationalities.