Does your country have any non religious book which everyone in your country has read it atleast once in their lives ?

Does your country have any non religious book which everyone in your country has read it atleast once in their lives ?
Yes , thirukkural is read ATLEAST once in their lives by every south indian

Thirukkural is a set of codes and Ethics which is universal and irreligious

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirukkuṛaḷ

Attached: 71Y-nCLWWGL._SL480_.jpg (331x480, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraphindia.com/culture/books/i-am-the-latest-jeffrey-archer-the-author-told-an-indian-street-vendor/cid/1683298
mic.com/articles/120411/how-hitler-s-mein-kampf-became-a-bestseller-in-india#.kh4EI8y7e
blogs.timesofisrael.com/india-loves-hitler/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/5182107/Indian-business-students-snap-up-copies-of-Mein-Kampf.html
worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-that-read-the-most.html
economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/media/entertainment/media/indian-book-market-to-touch-rs-739-billion-by-2020-survey/articleshow/49996781.cms
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivana_Brlić-Mažuranić
kgz.hr/hr/za-djecu-i-mlade/lektira/popis-lektire-za-osnovne-skole/1680
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Brazilians don't read books

Interesting, i haven't heard about this book.
- Aryan bvll

It’s a Tamil text written by a Jain. It’s irreligious and just like OP says is more about ethics.

Based machi

We have to read this in school.

Attached: 9788242133199_cover.jpg (956x1024, 404K)

I just learned about this text yesterday as I started reading about atheism and secularism. Will give it a read

Also
>thiru = sri
Do dravidian languages end always in vocal like japanese (minus m, n) or is it a coincidence? I'm assuming thiru is a dravidization of sri, but I don't know if it actually is

>I'm assuming thiru is a dravidization of sri
Yes. You’re right in your assumption, Shri is Sanskrit while Thiru is Tamil.

I’ve heard the same about Japanese and Tamil being similar too, there’s a Japanese poster here who speaks a little Tamil that also said the same thing.

Thiru is just an honorific just like shree

Instead of shree tamils use Thiru

Also. “kural” means voice or in this case, poems with 2 lines: the first line with four words and the second with three.

So, the literal translation would be “Respected Poem”.

Thanks. The linguistic stuff sounds interesting, gonna check it

Dante’s Divine Comedy, and Promessi Sposi by Manzoni

Mein Kampf

Just kidding, that was more than half a century ago. But virtually every syllabus in school has Nathan der Weise by Lessing or some such classical German book on it so I guess those?

mein kampf is pretty popular in India. Most people read it.

x - Doubt

I would be surprised to learn that most Indians (i.e. 50%+) read any book whatsoever. Not because of any inherent features, mind you, but due to the country as a whole being fairly backwards still.

Well I guess, I can't say most people then. Let me rephrase it: Most people of my city (Chandigarh) read or has read Mein Kampf.
Secondly, do you think poor people do not or cannot read books? I mean they know how to read and books are readlly really cheap. So, what do you think is the bottlenecK?

Probably something like Charlotte's Web or Lord of the Flies, I think every Brit has read those at school

All Brits should be raped and then killed by pakis.
t. Pajeet

I mean ... I am not speaking from knowledge, just guesses. For all I know literally every other single Indian above the age of, say, 12 has read a hundred books. I just don’t think so given the literacy rate. A whole quarter of the population can’t even read at all so that’s already 25% right off the bat who definitely never read a book.

Never heard about it.
Who gives a shit about Tamizh ooga booga outside TN.

Certainly, but thats old people. Education is provided free along with food till the end of middle school by govt. for a while now and a recent survey showed around 95% literacy rate among people of age 20 or less. So, mostly people don't read books, but some books like Panchtantra and mein kampf are must read. Mein Kampf was and, if I remember correctly, still a best seller.

Pan Tadeusz

Attached: 1554286759706.png (275x232, 24K)

no

It’s not like I do not expect the situation to change, I was just opining what I thought is currently the case.

Banjo paterson poems
At least the man from snowy river & waltzing matilda

Ok, german fren

>I mean ... I am not speaking from knowledge, just guesses
You're very ignorant in your guessing. There are backwards sections, yes. Indians are voracious readers of English books, fiction or non fiction.

Then, there's regional languages to add to that.

>I would be surprised to learn that most Indians (i.e. 50%+) read any book whatsoever. Not because of any inherent features, mind you, but due to the country as a whole being fairly backwards still.

Books are very cheap, Jeffrey Archer releases his novels in India first because according to him, his books will end up on the local bookstores in a day or two anyway.

telegraphindia.com/culture/books/i-am-the-latest-jeffrey-archer-the-author-told-an-indian-street-vendor/cid/1683298

And then there are authors like Rudyard Kipling being famous for their works too from their colonial days.

Sounds like you're the illiterate ignorant person for assuming things off internet statistics.

Here, even I've read Mein Kampf. They new release annual editions of it all the time.
mic.com/articles/120411/how-hitler-s-mein-kampf-became-a-bestseller-in-india#.kh4EI8y7e

blogs.timesofisrael.com/india-loves-hitler/

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/5182107/Indian-business-students-snap-up-copies-of-Mein-Kampf.html

I never said that Indians do not read books, just that I doubt that this includes more than half the population. As I said, currently there are still a whole 25% who cannot read AT ALL.

As I said, I might be totally wrong on this but can you actually link me to data that suggests that 50%+ Indians have read a book in their lives?

No problem. While people like memeing on the whole SUPERPOWER BY 2020 shtick, I am pretty sure that India will rival other global hegemons in the not too distant future.

>Who gives a shit about tamil ooga booga

t.street shitter mentality

Pretty Much everyone Outside your shit hole has heard about it from Tolstoy to Nelson Mandela everyone has read it

When gandhi wrote to leo Tolstoy for guidance he told him to read thirukkural

The letter is in display in gandhi museum titled " a letter to a hindu "

>As I said, I might be totally wrong on this but can you actually link me to data that suggests that 50%+ Indians have read a book in their lives?
Again, this is a very ignorant question. You don't state what subject or what language, what type of book, nothing. You're painting a very broad stroke.

As I said, I might be totally wrong on this but can you actually link me to data that suggests that 50%+ Indians have read a book in their lives?

worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-that-read-the-most.html

>India topped the list with its citizens reporting an average of 10 hours and 42 minutes a week spent reading. Achieving the number 1 position on the list is quite an accomplishment for this country, which has a literacy rate that is lower than the global average (only 74%). This rate has, however, increased by more than 6 times since the country gained its independence in 1947, which could be an indicator of an increasing interest in reading. This time spent reading does not necessarily reflect the amount of time reading printed books, however, and may include time spent reading online or in electronic format.

So, a country where 1/4th of the population are illiterate rank as the country that reads the most. And you're asking if 50% of Indians have read a book in their lives. The rest are the 3/4th that make India the country that reads the most.

Do the math yourself if I'm wrong, man.

Attached: india.jpg (960x684, 266K)

Stop being autistic bro

He is entitled to his opinion even though if it's ignorant

Attached: 1555062133390.jpg (800x450, 49K)

economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/media/entertainment/media/indian-book-market-to-touch-rs-739-billion-by-2020-survey/articleshow/49996781.cms

Here's some meme answer too.

Attached: 2020.png (728x578, 230K)

True, I'm just sayin he's ignorant.

Attached: dasignorant.jpg (480x360, 85K)

>worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-that-read-the-most.html
Interesting. But not specifically an answer to my question.

>Do the math yourself if I'm wrong, man.
I cannot tell whether or not you are wrong based on this. Too little data here. Maybe less than 50% have read a book but those who have read at least one read more than anyone else in the world.

I am not even married to this view I espoused earlier, I’m just saying that I have seen no direct evidence to the contrary.

Lack of reading/writing ability doesn't correlate with lack of intellect. There are many old and wise people who haven't been to school ever. Meanwhile a state called Kerala which boasts 100% literacy is full of retarded evil monkeys

just my ethnicity

Attached: javanese chronicle.jpg (660x500, 120K)

Nicomachean ethics by Aristotle

I guess The bridge on the Drina and Death and the Dervish are books that pretty much everyone has to read.

>Lack of reading/writing ability doesn't correlate with lack of intellect. There are many old and wise people who haven't been to school ever.
Do you think I was saying otherwise? All I was ever talking about in this thread was the number of people who have read any book.

>everyone in your country has read it atleast once in their lives ?
Reading excerpts in school doesn't count.

>a set of codes and Ethics which is universal
>irreligious

Attached: 1546709757124.jpg (638x1000, 62K)

There are 1330 kurals(poems) and not a single one of them is about God or religion. The only people who claim so are Brahmins who have no influence on it.

Programs have changed over the years but the books that were mandatory during my time at school were:
"Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
"Platero y yo" by Juan Ramón Jiménez
-
"Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles
"Martín Fierro" by José Hernández
Among others.

There is more to religion than gods. If you have "a set of codes and Ethics which is universal" it is a religion in every meaningful way. Most ideologies, be they political or philosophical, are religions without the outer trappings like rituals etc. Even so many political extremists have their own rituals, sermons, and other similar things.

Children books by Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić are very common in Croatian elementary schools.

The Marvelous Adventures and Misadventures of Hlapić the Apprentice

and

Croatian Tales of Long Ago

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivana_Brlić-Mažuranić

Here is a list of books that made it into the official curriculum from 1st to 8th grade:

kgz.hr/hr/za-djecu-i-mlade/lektira/popis-lektire-za-osnovne-skole/1680

Attached: 060178_1.jpg (852x1000, 178K)

>You can't have an irreligious code of conduct / ethics

Attached: 1555521967340.jpg (350x420, 34K)

We have to read Tuntematon (Unknown Soldier) in high school at least once

Attached: TS.jpg (298x418, 29K)

South Indian here, only tamilians must have read that maybe malayalis too. Telugus and Kanadigas probably havent even heard of that shit

is the translated version good?

Энyмa элиш (битвa нaвepхy

We had to read it in school

Attached: enuma-elish_434939.jpg (320x497, 31K)

I wouldnt know havent read it

Reading 1984 now desu

Just look outside user

Is that a history book ?

>Considered one of the greatest works ever written on ethics and morality, chiefly secular ethics, it is known for its universality and non-denominational nature. It was authored by Valluvar, also known in full as Thiruvalluvar. The text has been dated variously from 300 BCE to 5th century CE. The traditional accounts describe it as the last work of the third Sangam, but linguistic analysis suggests a later date of 450 to 500 CE.

Interesting