gramoty.ru/birchbark/document/show/novgorod/292/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abckiria
pagef30.com/2009/03/similarities-between-old-english-anglo.html
hr.wikisource.org/wiki/Šibenska_molitva
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mainland Chinese readers can't understand texts from 90 years ago

5000 years of culture
HAMBURGER

English didn’t exist more than a few centuries ago. Middle English is actually a creole of French and Germanic languages. And old English is actually a pidgin of Germanic languages.

>English didn’t exist more than a few centuries ago
I am sure it is the same for Greek, there is a reason why we call Greek from 2000 years ago Ancient Greek.

Greek changed a lot less than “english”. Modern Greeks only need to study Classical Greek for a little bit before understanding it.

My people didn't have written text until about 70 years ago.

Attached: 1544808416086.jpg (657x527, 147K)

I can. If you gimme a novel in Latin i can understand everything.

How much has French changed in the past thousand years or so?

Written Finnish is barely 100 years old

3000 years of Chinese civilization could not stand up to a few Communists, pathetic.

Quite a bit
We can get most of texts from 1500 with some difficulties
Before that, we have to read them out loud to try to get the meaning

The benefit of not being relevant since before christ is that your language doesn't change much as a result

what?

Attached: Abckiria.jpg (650x900, 194K)

>rotten teeth and failed """"""""""""""empires""""""""""""""""
>Culture

published in 1893
126 years is close enough to a 100

You can't understand texts written some centuries ago in your language, because your language, gaulish, was already dead at that time.

There is an ancient birch bark manuscript with the ancient Finnish language written in cyrillic
gramoty.ru/birchbark/document/show/novgorod/292/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abckiria
>Abckiria (also sometimes spelled ABC-kiria, and spelled "ABC-kirja" in modern Finnish), in English "The ABC book", is the first book that was published in the Finnish language. It was written by Mikael Agricola, a bishop and Lutheran Reformer, and was first published in 1543. Agricola wrote the book while working on the first Finnish translation of the New Testament (which was eventually finished in 1548 as Se Wsi Testamenti).

Oppe nyt wanha / ia noori /
joilla ombi Sydhen toori.
Jumalan keskyt / ia mielen /
iotca taidhat Somen kielen.
Laki / se Sielun hirmutta /
mutt Cristus sen tas lodhutta.
Lue sijs hyue Lapsi teste /
Alcu oppi ilman este.
Nijte muista Elemes aina /
nin Jesus sinun Armons laina.

Je puis exoïr parlé françois.

>wikipedia

Attached: 13197195992.jpg (484x509, 15K)

Did greek actually change so little that you can understand old Greek? When reading old germanic, besides a few words, most isn't understandable at all

trolllpedo

I always assumed modern greek was a variant of turkish.

stupid finngoloid

Surely it must have been influenced strongly by the long occupation but it looks to me to be a lot more similar to old Greek overall. I don't know shit though. I could be wrong.

Poles can
>When reading old germanic, besides a few words, most isn't understandable at all
so it's not similar to latin?

Koine Greek is pretty easy to understand and so is Medieval/Byzantine Greek
It gets much harder to understand things in ancient Greek but with some imagination while you read the texts you might understand some of the things you read if you haven't taken ancient Greek classes

Attached: Nicaea_icon.jpg (800x1084, 319K)

>old germanic
do you mean proto germanic? that's not a real language, it's a hypothesis.
as for middle high german, it's mostly very easily understandable for high german speakers. old high german is way harder to understand, you'll need to study that for a good while.
but even then, if you as a german read a gothic text, you would understand way more than you would think.

there are a few hundred words in modern Greek that come from Ottoman Turkish and the majority of them came in Turkish from Arabic and Persian, except that we didn't adopt something else from their language

I think before like 1500 english becomes incomprehensible. But shakespeare and the king james bible are still easily understandable if you take your time

>Beowulf (Old English version)
BY ANONYMOUS
Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning.
ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned,
geong in geardum, þone god sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile. Him þæs liffrea,
wuldres wealdend, woroldare forgeaf;
Beowulf wæs breme blæd wide sprang,
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Nigga what

>The Georgian scripts are the three writing systems used to write the Georgian language: Asomtavruli, Nuskhuri and Mkhedruli. Although the systems differ in appearance, all three are unicase, their letters share the same names and alphabetical order, and are written horizontally from left to right. Of the three scripts, Mkhedruli, once the civilian royal script of the Kingdom of Georgia and mostly used for the royal charters, is now the standard script for modern Georgian and its related Kartvelian languages, whereas Asomtavruli and Nuskhuri are used only by the Georgian Orthodox Church, in ceremonial religious texts and iconography
>Asomtavruli, a monumental script, is the oldest form of the Georgian alphabet, but it is no longer used for writing the language. Due to its design, it is still sometimes used for headlines and titles.
We actually learn how to read and write Asomtavruli in schools although most people forget them easily since it’s never used daily.

Nice, our first book was Abecednik (same meaning), published by the Protestant Primož Trubar in 1550

how different is contemporary japanese from japanese 500 years ago?

Oldest swedish book is äldre västgötalagen (1100-1200). A lot is pretty readable even today. Older texts were written on rune stones.

Text example:
>Dräpär maþar svänskan man eller smalenskän, innan
konongsrikis man, eigh västgöskan, böte firi atta örtogher
ok þrettan markär ok änga ätar bot. Niu markär a kononger
a mandrapi ok sva allir män.

Runic swedish is unintelligeble though
>raiþ þiaurikR hin þurmuþistiliR ● flutna strontu hraiþmaraRsitiR nu karuR o ● kuta sinumskialti ub fatlaþR skati marika

Ironically, the US has a higher DMFT score compared to the UK. We have yellow but strong teeth lmao.

We read Dante/Petrarca/Boccaccio at school (so 1300/1400 italian) and it's pretty understandable desu

Are you Saami?

That's really cool, thanks for posting Pyotr.

I'm guessing he means Althochdeutsch.

Beowulf is unreadable to modern English speakers, but the Canterbury tales are readable if you work at it.

for canterbury tales you have to study middle english a bit to understand. it looks like modern english enough that it isn't like learning a new language but it there are just so many words in there that are nothing like modern words. it takes some translating work. beowulf is like trying to read something in fucking an alien language there's basically nothing recognizable

Maybe because I studied German in college, but I found Canterbury Tales relatively easy to read.

But yeah, Beowulf is unironically more like Icelandic than modern English.

Its litteraly nothing like icelandic. Not even close. Same letters þ and ð vut thats about all. Its clearly WAY more english than nordic

>Mfw we can understand the discovery letter sent by the portuguese sailor to the king from 500 years ago

Attached: 1555887677038.jpg (1480x832, 99K)

>way more english
it's more of a different language entirely. what looks like gibberish. i think it was at least pronounced in a more nordic way though

america's hegemony is just a botched version of the british empire. it is fun watching you spectacularly fail though

500 years ago for any language isn't that bad because that's the early modern period. For english speakers our oldest and most popular bible is from around 1600 and we read it in that style. Same for shakespeare. Going beyond 500 years is pushing it

On the off-chance you aren't shitposting, check this out.

pagef30.com/2009/03/similarities-between-old-english-anglo.html

I meant way more english as in real, old, english.
Either way i think english got way more influenced by german than even french or scandi. Some later english text look very german. Think you even had the hard german "ch" thing for a while

How different is ancient arabic to modern day arabic?

>Óla, my king. I know we were supposed to sail to Africa, but, you know, one thing let to another and we ended up in a wrong continent. Pretty crazy, eh?

>sophomore in h.s.
>English dyke made us read Beowulf in Old English
It was a waste of time. The German foreign exchange student also got out of it.

There is still plenty of traditional Chinese in use, a lot of signs are in traditional. Most Chinese have no trouble reading traditional.

you need to because that was the last time you were relevant t:tftp

>old high german is way harder to understand, you'll need to study that for a good while
I tried the Lord's Prayer from Wikipedia and quite a lot of it seems to be almost phonetically identical to Standard German.
>Fater unser, thū thār bist in himile
>sī geheilagōt thīn namo
>sō her in himile ist, sō sī her in erdu
>unsar brōt tagalīhhaz gib uns hiutu

All of the Germanic languages were becoming like Old Low German thanks to the Hanseatic League. Between the decline of the Hanseatic League and Luther using High German, Low German started declining in prestige.

The middle English creole argument is merely a hypothesis with no credible backing in academia, passing that statement off as fact is ludicrous.

Ofc there are similarities and its of a common root. But the beowulf text is clearly not very icelandic looking. You could just as well probably say its old german looking.

for what reason? I was made to read a translated version in senior year because what is the point of trying to read old english in an english course? old english is basically a whole different language. just very dramatically different that it's absolutely incomprehensible to modern english speakers

>Your cunt

Do you miss the USSR?

US.
Yes

Attached: ussr flag.png (318x159, 1K)

Thats not how you make a thread mr r*dditor

pressed the wrong button Mo.

Because my teacher was a literary nerd and we were the honors class.

this text from 1368 is more understandable to me than most 19th century english writers, like dickens or poe

I pomisli vsaki h(rst)janin
da se svyt ništare ni,
jere gdo ga veće ljubi,
ta ga brže zgubi.

Nu jošće pomisli vsaki sada:
ča se najde ot nas tada,
gda se d(u)ša strahom smete,
a dila n(a)m skriti nete...

i'm croatian btw, no idea how i got this flag

i thought i was going to read a high quality estonian post, fuck

I'm still learning Nawatl, but it's difficult. I'm a disgrace.

imagine if after the trukish conquests they had brutally opressed the greeks, and there was also a random invasion of, I don't know, italians, which owned half of greece for like 300 years (while turks owned the other half) to the point where your current language was 40% turkish, 40% italian and only 20% greek. That is the situation with anglo-saxon you NIGGERS

>ni rhyming with zgubi
>zgubi, not sagubi
>vsaki
>najde

ayo, you wuz us muhfugga

where do you get these from

Navarro-aragonese from the 11th century, very close to what was Castilian back then:

Con o aiutorio de nuestro
dueno Christo, dueno
salbatore, qual dueno
get ena honore et qual
duenno tienet ela
mandatione con o
patre con o spiritu sancto
en os sieculos de lo siecu
los. Facanos Deus Omnipotes
tal serbitio fere ke
denante ela sua face
gaudioso segamus. Amen.

Modern Castilian:

Con la ayuda de nuestro
Señor Cristo, Señor
Salvador, Señor
que está en el honor y
Señor que tiene el
mandato con el
Padre con el Espíritu Santo
en los siglos de los siglos.
Háganos Dios omnipotente
hacer tal servicio que
delante de su faz
gozosos seamos. Amén.

Not that much.

If you don't understand text written 1000 years ago in your "language" then it's a meme language, simple as.

he's a schizo. he's referring to how britain's language was shaped by numerous invasions, probably mostly vikings and normans

tfw english has been bastardized by invaders for over a millenium

Arabic is cheating since you don't write the vowels.

yeah, out of all slav languages slovenian is probably the most similar to the old common language
also i just found this prayer from 1345 which is completely understandable, it seems like it could've been written today
hr.wikisource.org/wiki/Šibenska_molitva

For some reason it seems that Slavic languages have evolved very little from proto-Slavic, I'm always baffled at how similar they are, at least seemingly much more than Romance languages. West Slavic languages appear a little more distant, but South Slavic and East Slavic really look like dialects of the same language.

yeah, I can understand that alright

here's one of the very earliest Slovenian prayers from 1428 in an imitation of the gothic latinic script:

Czeſtyena body / kralewa mati te myloſti
zywota ſladkoſti / yno naſſ troſt
Czeſtyena ſy / my ktebe vpyeme
tuge ſabne otroczy / te ewe
My ktebe zdvchvgeme / glagogicze
yno placzecz / te dolynye tech ſlſſ
Obto ty naſſe / odwetnycze / ty knam
obrny / ty myloſtywe oczzy
Ino Jeſſyſſe ſegnanega ſasv twega
teleſſa / ty nam prykaſſy / potom
tvyſtv / O czeſtyta omyloſtywa
o ſladka maty marya

We used to not even write the dots so all of these letters were written exactly the same ب ت ن ث (b, t, th, n have to be deduced from the context), same for ح ج خ. If you think Arabic is hard now because of "vowels" imagine not even knowing the letter for sure, but that was before the 7th century and as a native speaker I can still read even those undotted scripts for the most part.

Mainland education is absolutely stuffed with ancient texts, what are you talking about man?

>beowulf is like trying to read something in fucking an alien language there's basically nothing recognizable
old english becomes far more approachable when you convert it to modern spelling, it's still unreadable with plenty of archaic/abandoned vocabulary and the grammar was far more complicated but it's still quite clearly english as the majority of day to day modern english still comes from old english, pic related is from the 'an introduction to old english' textbook, all it has done is translated the old english vowel/diagraph spelling into modern english and it goes from being close to unreadable to pretty understandable in some contexts

>Going beyond 500 years is pushing it
only for english, plenty of other languages had their revolutionary changes and transitions earlier, persian for instance had theirs in the 8th century compared to the 12th century or later for middle english
the old norse sagas from about the 12th century for instance are similarly as close to modern icelandic as 12-15th century modern english is to modern english by a few accounts

Attached: 1555969786970.png (730x481, 191K)

Brush your fucking teeth, limey.

i can undestand vast majority of old croatian from about 1000
AZ V' IME OTCA I S(I)NA I SVETAGO DUHA AZ'
OPAT' DR'ŽIHA PISAH SE O LEDINE JuŽE
DA Z'V'NIM(I)R KRAL' HR'VAT'SKI V'
DNI SVOE V' SVETUJu LUCIJu I SVEDO -
MI ŽUPAN' DESIMIRA KR'BAVE MARTIN' V L(I) -
CE PRB'NEBŽA S' POSL' VIN(0)DOLE JaK(O)V' V O-
TOCE DA IŽE TO POREČE KL'NI I BO(G) I *BÏ* AP(OSTO)LA I *G* E -
VANJELISTI I S(VE)TAJa LUCIJa AM(E)N' DA IŽE SDE ŽIVE -
T' MOLI ZA NE BOGA AZ OPAT' DBROVIT' Z' -
DAH' CREK'V' SIJu I SVOEJu BRATIJu S DEV -